Favorite Pictures of My Pre War Buick

MrEarl

3 hours ago, Uptowndodge said:

This is my 36 Buick I’m getting ready to install a 41 dual carb and dual exhaust. I’m looking for someone who really knows these Buick’s as I picked up a 39 Buick Century 60 series ring and pinion with a 3.9 gear ratio to replace my 40 series 4.4 gear ratio. I was told that a 3.9 out of a 60 series would fit my pumpkin and I bought one without do better research. So I really would like someone who has the knowledge to tell me if it will work or not. If not then hopefully they can tell me what exact year to get and I will find one and be great full for their knowledge. I guess I’m learning the hard way. Thanks again for all the help 👍🏼

The later Century ring and pinion does not fit any 1936. It will fit 1937 and 1938 40 series. The 1936 40 series has a spiral bevel ring and pinion, not hypoid. It is an animal all to itself as far as I know. It is smaller than the spiral bevel ring and pinion used in the larger series Buicks.

I have a screwball rear axle here from a 1936 Canadian Chevrolet 1/2 ton that I strongly suspect uses the same ring and pinion design as the 1936 Buick 40 series, but it is speculation as I don't have real 1936 40 series parts to compare. It is 4.10. That wouldn't be much of a change from 4.4.

I suggest you post a topic about it. There are people in here who probably know a lot more about this than I do.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Bloo said:

The later Century ring and pinion does not fit any 1936. It will fit 1937 and 1938 40 series. The 1936 40 series has a spiral bevel ring and pinion, not hypoid. It is an animal all to itself as far as I know. It is smaller than the spiral bevel ring and pinion used in the larger series Buicks.

I have a screwball rear axle here from a 1936 Canadian Chevrolet 1/2 ton that I strongly suspect uses the same ring and pinion design as the 1936 Buick 40 series, but it is speculation as I don't have real 1936 40 series parts to compare. It is 4.10. That wouldn't be much of a change from 4.4.

I suggest you post a topic about it. There are people in here who probably know a lot more about this than I do.

I appreciate you getting back to me, so if I’m hearing you correct the later model like the 39 Buick Century 60 series one I picked up won’t work correct? So will a 1936 Buick 60 series one will? If so looks like I’m going hunting 

20 minutes ago, Uptowndodge said:

I appreciate you getting back to me, so if I’m hearing you correct the later model like the 39 Buick Century 60 series one I picked up won’t work correct? So will a 1936 Buick 60 series one will? If so looks like I’m going hunting 

I don't think anything fits a 1936 40 series except a 1936 40 series.

The best you can do is look in a Hollander manual and try to cross reference any and all possibilities. I did this years ago trying to figure this problem out for a 36 Pontiac. If I remember correctly, the 1936 Buick 40 was all by itself. There was some potential interchange of ring and pinion with the late 35-36 Chevy Master and Pontiac and late 35-39 1/2 ton. They are smaller parts than the 36 Buick 40 though, and I don't remember if it worked both ways. There was a footnote that you could do it somehow but it doesn't quite fit right. Anyhow, the best ratio for that Chevy/Pontiac axle is 3.82 and it is super rare, and most are 4.11, so it doesn't really help. My suspicion is that they couldn't have developed a design for just one year and model of Buick, and that it is probably based on the Olds axle. If that's true, it doesn't help either because Olds uses an open driveline, and the pinion will be all wrong. The ring might fit but that doesn't help because it has to match the pinion. Maybe someone else in here knows more, but it doesn't look good. I'd post a thread because not too many people will see it here in a "pictures of Buicks" thread.

3 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I don't think anything fits a 1936 40 series except a 1936 40 series.

The best you can do is look in a Hollander manual and try to cross reference any and all possibilities. I did this years ago trying to figure this problem out for a 36 Pontiac. If I remember correctly, the 1936 Buick 40 was all by itself. There was some potential interchange of ring and pinion with the late 35-36 Chevy Master and Pontiac and late 35-39 1/2 ton. They are smaller parts than the 36 Buick 40 though, and I don't remember if it worked both ways. There was a footnote that you could do it somehow but it doesn't quite fit right. Anyhow, the best ratio for that Chevy/Pontiac axle is 3.82 and it is super rare, and most are 4.11, so it doesn't really help. My suspicion is that they couldn't have developed a design for just one year and model of Buick, and that it is probably based on the Olds axle. If that's true, it doesn't help either because Olds uses an open driveline, and the pinion will be all wrong. The ring might fit but that doesn't help because it has to match the pinion. Maybe someone else in here knows more, but it doesn't look good. I'd post a thread because not too many people will see it here in a "pictures of Buicks" thread.

Well this sucks, what’s my options? Overdrive or do I need to put a 60 series complete rear end in? Will a 60 series from 1936 bolt in. As you can see I’m not to familiar yet on these Buick’s so all your info is much appreciated, there’s gotta be something out there besides a overdrive that will work. Frustrating but not giving up yet.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2021 at 6:40 PM, Micski said:

Hello All. Here's my 1940 Buick. Been lurking for a couple of years in the forums and admiring the Buicks and builds, Lit a bit of a fire under me today, need to get it out and ride. Found a few years back at a mechanic shop. Seems rather solid. Done a bit of work here and there. Shocks need rebuilt, numerous electrical bugs, paint seems fine even though it's a repaint. Still chasing down some of it's Utah history as well. Mike

DSC00536.JPG

That steering wheel would be very expensive to recast, I found out the steering wheel covers in truck stops are all 18 inch, same as this wheel. You can get them in all different trucker colors, make the wheel as good as new. Ten four big daddy.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

That steering wheel would be very expensive to recast, I found out the steering wheel covers in truck stops are all 18 inch, same as this wheel. You can get them is all different trucker colors, make the wheel as good as new. Ten four big daddy.

Morgan,

A steering wheel cover adds to the diameter of the wheel when you grasp it.    That small wheel is part of the fun of driving a antique car.

What I have done in the past and am presently doing to a Banjo wheel, is to ake the steering wheel off and fill the craks with fiberglass and 

bondo.  Then repaint it with Acrylic enamel with a hardener.   Then you have anice looking original steering wheel again.

Good Luck, you'll be glad you did it.

PM me and I'll send you a easy way to re-woodgrain your dashboard.

My 1935 Buick 41 Series, 97% Buick but Buick 8 (V8)(with automatic, power steering, Disc brakes, windows and seats.  A/C & Stereo, fine       

Corenthian Leather interior with woodgrained dash and window moldings.   Buick@Parkers.jpg.3d8aac3e5d251bf561bad1b4ac757e69.jpg1204265136_CopyofRonpic.jpg.6c417261b816286c78dbce2ef13e5001.jpg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

My 1935 Buick 41 Series, 97% Buick but Buick 8 (V8)(with automatic, power steering, Disc brakes, windows and seats.  A/C & Stereo, fine       

Corenthian Leather interior with woodgrained dash and window moldings.  

I couldn't agree more Paul (regarding collecting clocks).

On 1/18/2022 at 1:26 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

Corenthian Leather interior with woodgrained dash and window moldings.   

Ricardo Montalban said in an interview that he made up the term "corinthian leather" for the ad, and it isn't a real thing.

• Like 1

From Wikipedia:

"Corinthian leather is a term coined by the advertising agency Bozell in 1974 to describe the leather upholstery used in certain Chrysler luxury vehicles. Although merely a marketing concept, it suggested a premium product...something rich in quality, rare, and luxurious.  In reality, it was the same leather used in most Chryslers, produced by the Radel Leather Manufacturing Company in Newark, New Jersey"  While the term was first used during the marketing campaign for the top of the line 1974 Imperial LeBaron, it is usually associated with the introduction of the 1975 Cordoba, an intermediate-sized personal luxury car. The model's celebrity spokesperson, Ricardo Montalbán, is credited with indelibly linking the two.  In promoting the Cordoba he described the thickly-cushioned luxury of seats "available even in fine (alternately, "soft" or "rich") Corinthian leather".  Later, in promoting the Chrysler New Yorker in 1988, he again referred to the leather as "rich".

😄😄

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

Ricardo Montalban said in an interview that he made up the term "corinthian leather" for the ad, and it isn't a real thing.

To bad, that's what they were sold as, so I'm sticking to my story.   I t wouldn't have sounded so good if he had said "Fine Bonded Leather.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling earror (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My name is Carl Haselow from Texarkana Texas, I have four cars, 1924 buick model 45, 1932 buick model 57S, 1955 Chevy Belair 4 door, and 1957 Austin Healey 100-6 .  The 1924 Buick was purchased by Dave Chambers in 1938 when he was 16 years old.  Purdue Auctioned off the car in the 1990s.  I have had the car for about 20 years.  I have the frame, and running gear restored, and have been in the process of making new wood components and repairing all of the metal damage.  The bottom ft of the rear tub was rusted through, have most of this damage repaired. 

Have extensive history, pictures, copy of original invoice from buick for the 24 buick.  Pictures of the car in the 30s and 40s.   I will be retiring next March and plan on putting a lot more effort into getting this car complete.  

buick10.jpg

buickframe1.jpg

buick2.jpg

• Like 11

Carl welcome to the forum.

So glad to hear that Dave Chamber's car is around and getting re-born! Best of luck with the restoration.

Much help on the Pre-War forum. I recently picked up a pile of 1924 partsDSC00377.JPG.fc64c7d86f45a836b210e69aece47416.JPG DSC00398.JPG.abff8f50620ef5513ebb658bb16e62a5.JPG

as well as a fellow nearby has a good supply of spares for his 24-45. Since this was Daves' car I suspect it already was quite complete. I have 2, 1925 touring cars and know of at least 8, 1924-45 (now 9) cars. Oh, make that 10 as I have a cowl sitting here that came from a 24-45.

DSC00410.JPG.4bd7bcc29d561da488d2d69b2dd88d6b.JPG

Thanks for all of the replies about my 1924-45.   The car was very complete when I purchased from the previous owner.   The car included the original top frame, and top as well as a set of Rex enclosures in the original box.  The car originally had these enclosures.   The only thing that was missing was the original rear glass frame and the vacuum tank.   I have found on ebay an original frame for the rear window in the top. (looked for five years before finding the frame)   I have not been able to find a 208A vacuum canister which I believe is the original.   The car came with part of the tool kit as well (tire iron, hub cap wrench, and crank for turning over the engine)  All of the wood has been cut and checked against the original wood and is ready to start fitting the metal.  The wood I used is 1-3/4" ash and was cut mostly on a band saw with some help from a router / table and bench sander for final fitting.   We have a local saw mill 35 miles from Texarkana that sells and custom planes ash and many other types of wood.  I will post some more pictures when I get a chance showing the current state of the car.  I have two engines and will use parts from both when I get into the engine rebuild which I have not started yet.   

• Like 2

I have attached some photos that show the current status of the Running Gear and of the wood body Construction.   I  have extensive photographs of details of body construction, running gear restoration if any one needs details for work they are doing on a 1924-45 touring.   I also have all of the original wood a lot of which would be usable with some patching / epoxy coating.    I have replaced the wood because the old wood has lost a lot of its mass and strength and  have some dry rot.   

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4613.JPG

IMG_4615.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 2:06 PM, smillard said:

my 32 

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (1).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (2).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (3).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (4).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (5).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (6).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (7).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (8).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (9).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (10).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (11).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (12).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (13).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (14).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan (15).jpeg

1932-buick-series-60-67-sedan.jpeg

IMG_5367.jpeg

You beat me to this car I was driving down to buy this car, spoke to Connors like a day before told me it was available, then driving down he said it was sold .  But beautiful car !!! 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 9:33 PM, Morgan Wright said:

My Buick is in this picture when it was new in 1918. In the 2nd row 6th from front.

This photo shows, two barges loaded with automobiles ready to leave for Southern points along the Ohio River. Because of rail transportation difficulties the Ohio River has become a vital carrying line to the South.

Date Taken: 5/13/1918

1918BuickBarge.jpg

How cool is that! I had no idea they were using river boats in 1918. I watched a show on the Sultana disaster once and they talked about how the life expectancy of river boats was very short due to construction techniques and lack of maintenance. I wonder when the ones in the picture were built?

Hi all, while since I posted either at work or tinkering with an old Buick of some sort in the garage in sunny Staffordshire England. Thought I would share my wonderful latest (well earliest by far for me) Bedford Buick CX25. Come up in auction regrettably deceased estate, no time to view, risky purchase but I had to go for it. Wanted an unusual early uk sold buick for many many years. I like the uk cars and have a  37 rhd maltby bodied convertible. Only had this 1915 home a day so just enjoying the calm before the storm enjoying just looking at her before I find something that’s not so good when I start digging. Not ran for 18 months so some gentle and patient cuddling needed and I cannot wait. Built as Bedford Buick in London to avoid duties at the time. Fitted with British accessories / lights etc. I think the basic coach work is the same as the c25 American market??earliest Buick I’ve had was a 28 so this going to be a big learning curve especially here in uk. Not many folk into early Buicks here. I must be mad 😊has history from day one , a rare old girl in right hand drive. I have a feeling I’m going to need a few questions answering from fellow buick enthusiasts as time goes on. Thank you Chris. 

32E02BDB-AB71-4593-BB42-16010D9EB5C8.jpeg

E257541C-2FE0-43E8-933E-23DEFF235900.png

866B7BA9-80F1-4E29-AB7B-ADF09B13FA4F.jpeg

• Like 13

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Buick fans, hope all is very well!

My father bought this Buick in the 1970s, restored it and then sold it in the 90s to a classic car broker in Florida called Stephen Yanoshik. Stephen passed way in 2010 and his business doesn't exist anymore, so I hit a dead end over there. When the car was restored, the body was painted in a Red (Orange looking) Color, brown fenders and white chasis. So I would guess it would rather easy to find due to that non original combination. 

From what I have looked in the internet, I would guess it is in the 1920-1922 year range, but not sure. The experts can correct me. 

I was a little kid when the car was sold and would be great to know the whereabouts of it and the current condition. With your knowledge and friends, I would largely appreciate if you can help me track this car. 

Thank you very much to all! 

Please find pics below. 

image.jpeg.7f597314df468c20b031ecd017ebac27.jpeg

image.jpeg.6f5aba44b27ed258ff90a08d2d05500b.jpegimage.jpeg.70762c5f2a46fe49e525b509360bc7b4.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes it´s a 128 WB chassies,I got this from my very best friend in Piteå,he know he was going to past away soon ,therefor he gave me this Buick  parts for free.He past away 1 month after we had collected the Buick parts.

In Juli 2020 I started working on the car and had decided to finish the job before March 2022.Yes I did it,it was  ready to drive in December 2021.

Buick 1925 Första hämtlasset från Piteå (4).JPG

Buick 1925 hämtning 005 - Kopia.JPG

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...