BCA Driven Class Input

NTX5467

As I recall from Pat Brooks' original Driven Class proposal (at the BCA National Meet Membership Meeting in Kokomo, IN), the general idea was to get more BCA members to drive their vintage Buicks to the national meets (rather than "modern" vehicles or leave their older Buicks "at home").  This sounded like a decent deal, yet when the Driven Class was first implemented several years later (at the BCA National Meet in Plano, TX), several potential participants mentioned having to  "qualify" for the Driven Class . . . as the BCA BOD seemed to desire "stock" vehicles rather than "modified" vehicles in the Driven Class.

The modifications which many had made included:  alternators to replace generators, different carburetors, 12 volt electrical systems, or other items which were "modern" which would allow more trouble-free "happy motoring", but also disqualified them from the Driven Class.

The input which is being solicited is . . .

-- What change(s) have been made to your vehicle which have disqualified it from being in the Driven Class?  Please be specific.​

-- How far from the 400 Point Judging "correctness" should what's allowed in the Driven Class be?

-- How "correct" should a Driven Class vehicle be, with respect to the original build specs of the vehicle?

-- Should there be TWO levels of Driven Class?  One for the mostly-correct-for-model year vehicles and ONE for those with some mechanical upgrades/enhancements made for more reliable/comfortable/safe travel cross-country?  Please be specific as to where you feel "the line" should be drawn between these two levels.

-- IF the Driven Class would allow your altered vehicle, as is, would you be more motivated to drive your vehicle to the BCA National Meet and enter it in the Driven Class (2016 and vehicles otherwise qualified for the Modified Class, excepted)?

-- Are you a current/past participant in the Driven Class?  If "YES", how many BCA National Meets.  If "NO", please elaborate. ​

I am seeking this input for informational purposes.

Thanks for your time, consideration, and participation in this poll.

Willis Bell  20811

​

​

Willis  

You are fighting a losing battle, and it  will NEVER be resolved!!!! When you have people bringing Buicks in trailers ,that are perfect, you will never resolve the problems in the BCA !!! Buick NEVER built a perfect car, but if yours has a  flaw in the paint (from the factory ) you will be gigged

Willis, I must have missed a lot regarding this particular class.  To me it' should not be so much about the car, as it should be about driving to the Meet. But here are my answers to your inquiry:

-- What change(s) have been made to your vehicle which have disqualified it from being in the Driven Class?  Please be specific.​

None. My cars are pretty much stock. Radials on the 56, the road wheels on the Electra, Nothing to be disqualified for according to the current rules.

-- How far from the 400 Point Judging "correctness" should what's allowed in the Driven Class be?

-- How "correct" should a Driven Class vehicle be, with respect to the original build specs of the vehicle?

These questions look the same to me.  Personally I do not think being factory correct should be in the requirements at all. 

-- Should there be TWO levels of Driven Class?  One for the mostly-correct-for-model year vehicles and ONE for those with some mechanical upgrades/enhancements made for more reliable/comfortable/safe travel cross-country?  Please be specific as to where you feel "the line" should be drawn between these two levels.

I am not in favor of additional levels.  If it is driven to the meet and entered in this category, then it's presence at the meet should be enough.

-- IF the Driven Class would allow your altered vehicle, as is, would you be more motivated to drive your vehicle to the BCA National Meet and enter it in the Driven Class (2016 and vehicles otherwise qualified for the Modified Class, excepted)?

If I had an altered vehicle, then yes, I would be more motivated to drive it to the Meet for a driven award..

-- Are you a current/past participant in the Driven Class?  If "YES", how many BCA National Meets.  If "NO", please elaborate. ​

Yes, I have a driven award for the GS at Batavia in 2007.  I now have a driven award for the Electra at Springfield.   I am proud of both these awards.  BTW I also have a Archival award for the GS at SouthBend, and an archival Award for the Electra at Portland.  I am also proud of both of those awards.  I have had my 56 at Sandusky Ohio in 1981 and have the window sticker on the car. Proof I had it there.  Proud of that too.

I have had the 56 in Flint for 1978 and 2003.  I had the GS in Flint for 2008. I have nothing but memories of those events.

• Like 2

None

I think if it has period correct [original?] power train and body is unmodified, including period correct paint it should qualify

Two levels? I would be alright with this, but see no need.

Current/past- Yes. Ames, South Bend, Charollette, Springfield..

After fighting the gas problem to Charollette and back to Mo, I did change fuel to EFI. This necessated 12V. Before, Springfield, an HEI ignition installed.  

I would have driven, and will drive, to meets with or without the Driven class.  Recognition is icing on the cake. And we all like icing. 

For what it is worth, I did not join BCA for judging or awards. I JUST WANT TO SEE ALL THE BUICKS AND THEIR OWNERS. 

And to drive mine.  The old Guy may be right, but I thank you for taking this on.

I do agree with him on one point. I worked in an assembly plant and there were none perfect. 

Ben

• Like 1

Willis,

I have never been to a national Buick meet, but I would be more apt to go if my '39 was accepted in the Driven Class. We live in Texas and have therefore converted to 12 volt with A/C because we take the car on tours in the summer months. The interior fabric color has been changed from tan to grey (in the original pattern), and the car has been repainted in the original black. Other than that the car is as originally built. So, if those changes disqualify me from entering the Driven Class I probably won't ever show up at a national meet in a Buick!

I'll be interested to see where this discussion goes.

-- What change(s) have been made to your vehicle which have disqualified it from being in the Driven Class? Please be specific.​

Technically, the wheels on the '76 pace car disqualify it. However, the current driven judging chair in South Bend disagreed with the rigour of the rule enough to bend it and award the car a driven award.

-- How far from the 400 Point Judging "correctness" should what's allowed in the Driven Class be?

If we have a "Modified Division Driven Class", then a line needs to be drawn. Otherwise, I'd like to see it essentially a Buick - that is, Buick body Buick engine...debate on correct style of engine aside

-- How "correct" should a Driven Class vehicle be, with respect to the original build specs of the vehicle?

I'm less concerned about this personally, but I believe it should identifiably be a Buick and, most importantly, driven.

-- Should there be TWO levels of Driven Class? One for the mostly-correct-for-model year vehicles and ONE for those with some mechanical upgrades/enhancements made for more reliable/comfortable/safe travel cross-country? Please be specific as to where you feel "the line" should be drawn between these two levels.

I'm not sure this makes sense...its a simple award and we probably don't want to over-complicate it. Safety / comfort / reliability changes shouldn't impact the qualification.

-- IF the Driven Class would allow your altered vehicle, as is, would you be more motivated to drive your vehicle to the BCA National Meet and enter it in the Driven Class (2016 and vehicles otherwise qualified for the Modified Class, excepted)?

N/A

-- Are you a current/past participant in the Driven Class? If "YES", how many BCA National Meets. If "NO", please elaborate. ​

2006 Rochester - 1962 Special, 1966 Wildcat

2010 Ames 1975 Electra

2013 South Bend - 1976 Century PCR, 1988 Reatta (driven by 17 year old daughter licensed for under 3 months at the time)

A car brought to a meet doesn't necessarily imply its a "trailer queen". We've done it for comfort, convenience, or economics. The highest any of my cars have placed is silver in BCA judging. That doesn't imply we don't drive them generally. We also haven't necessarily had the time to be able to take our time driving to and from the meets as well. Different strokes for different folks and we need to be tolerant of other views within the club.

• Like 1

I have only been a BCA member a little over a year. I purchased my 56 model 48 to remember my father by(born in flint) and honor my uncles who worked at the Buick plant in Flint.

In my humble opinion the driven class should be for anyone that drives a Buick to the Nationals and meets the age requirement, no matter what mdofications have been done to the Buick. My rationale is very simplistic, the automobile is still a "Buick". Now to reply to your questions.

-- What change(s) have been made to your vehicle which have disqualified it from being in the Driven Class? Please be specific.​ As I am a relatively new BCA member, 2016 will be my first National. However here are all the modiification to my 56 Special, 401 Nailhead with dual quads, SP TH400, 65 riviera rearend with 3.23 posi, aluminum radiator, front disc brake conversion (wilwood setup), alternator conversion, electronic ignition, mechanical and electrcal fuel pump, coker tires with american racing wheels, dummy spotlights, sun visor attached to hard top, and bucket seats.

-- How far from the 400 Point Judging "correctness" should what's allowed in the Driven Class be? NA

-- How "correct" should a Driven Class vehicle be, with respect to the original build specs of the vehicle? As I stated previously, it should just meet the age requirement and be a Buick.

-- Should there be TWO levels of Driven Class? One for the mostly-correct-for-model year vehicles and ONE for those with some mechanical upgrades/enhancements made for more reliable/comfortable/safe travel cross-country? Please be specific as to where you feel "the line" should be drawn between these two levels. I think this might be a good idea for those purists out there. So my response to this is yes to two levels.

-- IF the Driven Class would allow your altered vehicle, as is, would you be more motivated to drive your vehicle to the BCA National Meet and enter it in the Driven Class (2016 and vehicles otherwise qualified for the Modified Class, excepted)? I am driving to Allentown anyways but, if the event was somewhere else, I would say yes.

-- Are you a current/past participant in the Driven Class? If "YES", how many BCA National Meets. If "NO", please elaborate. ​NA based on my lead in to this post.

Mark

AS I read the judging handbook the Buick must be equipped with original or period items: Engine, clutch, transmission, rear end, brakes, steering and lights. No vehicle shall be disqualified based on radial tires, sealed beam/halogen headlights or a non factory overdrive. Body and trim must be of  components original and appropriate for the year and model involved.  Interior must be structurally unaltered and structurally complete.

I read the language to be intentionally open and non specific.  I believe I have heard the car has to have an engine that Buick offered in that specific model. I don't see that specifically in the language.  I think a Buick engine of the period should not disqualify.  Perhaps a definition of "period " needs to be added such as the specific model year or within a specific number of model years. 

Personally I would not object to permitting upgrades to brakes and suspension for the purpose to make the car safer or easier to drive in modern traffic conditions.

I don't see anything prohibiting adding air conditioning as long as the interior is not structurally altered.  I do not consider drilling holes for options to be structural modification.

I have a driven award for my 67 LeSabre from Ames.  My Riviera would qualify as is and I may get it next time the nationals are in the central or mountain time zone as I would limit driving it to around 1000 miles from north Texas.

• Like 1

I am one of the ones who got disqualified in Plano.. I drove the damn car there but as you said "an Alternator and A/C disqualified me" .  Bull  I drove the car during 95 agree heat and made it to Plano.

I don't drive to get an award and i will be damned if I ever get one. That class should be removed. Either you drive the car to enjoy the experience and share with rest of the Buick Owners or you register in the 400 pt judging.

I will NEVER register in Driver class Again.  Like Ben, I don't need a trophy cause my car was on the field.

My Opinion and nobody else....;

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My only comment is related to this:

"Should there be TWO levels of Driven Class? One for the mostly-correct-for-model year vehicles and ONE for those with some mechanical upgrades/enhancements made for more reliable/comfortable/safe travel cross-country? Please be specific as to where you feel "the line" should be drawn between these two levels."

Answer: No, NO, and NO!!! Two different levels is crazy. The judging classes and types and levels we have now are so complicated that it takes two or three pages to explain them to anyone wanting to enter a car in a BCA meet for the first time. It's even worse, if you are trying to teach new judging volunteers about how to judge the cars in the various classes and types and levels of possible entries. And if you think that's hard, try designing and laying out a one-page national meet registration form that includes all of the possible types and levels and divisions of entering one car.

At some point, the club is going to be giving awards and trophies to every single car that enters a meet, because we have so many different classes and types of judging, and then the awards are meaningless.

We have Modified; we have Modified Radical; we have Modified Mild; we have two other levels of Modified that I can't remember the names of; we have 400-point with 15 or 20 classes under that; we have Archival; we have Driven Class; we have Seniors; we have Senior Preservation. Lord help us all if we add yet another level and type of judging!

Okay, done with my rant.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Driven class should have one judging question.....

Did you enjoy the drive to the national show?  If you did then we will give you an award or certificate if you want it and have a place for it or a file for the certificate.

Buicks are made to be driven, shown, and enjoyed.

I might not drive my truck to the shows, but is only goes about 25-30 miles per hour.  You figure the time to drive to a show if everything goes perfect.  I do drive it to local shows, to church, to the grocery store, to dinner with my bride, Home Depot, Sams Club for gas, and everyplace else that I feel it is safe to drive in the area during the summer.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 5

A lot of clubs seem to be wrestling with how to manage modified cars. Recently we had a judging seminar hosted at our facility and the bulk of it was trying to cover how to judge the modified cars that show up at this particular club's events. How, indeed? For most modified classes, it boils down to a beauty contest, and he who spends the most on chrome will win. That's a shame, but the relentless pursuit of trophies makes this very sticky. This club's seminar pretty much focused on looking at details as the way to weed out the good from the bad. Not whether they're correct, per se, but rather if they're well done. That's a pretty subjective standard. At least with 400-point judging, it's either correct or it's not. With this "system," if you use polished stainless allen-head bolts you'll win and if you use factory cad-plated bolts you'll lose. Nah, I'm sure nobody will get angry about that...

As an anecdote, consider this: the Ohio Region of the CCCA hosts a big car show every Father's Day and it is strictly for unmodified vehicles. However, every year, a handful of modified vehicles slip in (either because their owners deliberately lie and say they're unmodified or because they don't know that a 350 and Rally wheels on a 1957 Chevy is technically "incorrect"). The notable one this year being a '69 Camaro that has had the full pro-touring treatment: fuel-injected LS engine, 6-speed transmission, big brakes, and, of course, everything was chrome plated. The car was topped by a pearl white paint job with ghost flames. The guy spent a fortune on the car, and while I didn't much care for it, there was a crowd around it all day. He entered it in judging, which is a kind of hybrid of AACA and CCCA judging, but the ultimate goal is authenticity followed by quality. Needless to say, his score was pretty low (like in the 40s). Moments after the trophies were handed out, he was at the podium arguing loudly with the head judge and the club director about why he didn't even win his class, let alone Best of Show, because his car won trophies everywhere else. He was FURIOUS, and got even angrier when we explained the judging criteria to him and that his car really didn't belong at the show. It blew up in everyone's face and nobody left happy about it. We still aren't allowing modified cars in to the show, but there was a big public scene that made it look like we were kicking out a crowd favorite.

My point is, there's no easy or uniform way to put rules on modified cars. Either it's a test of authenticity or it's a beauty contest, but once you start to say certain modifications are OK and others aren't, or that the modifications have to adhere to a certain standard, well, you get all kinds of misunderstandings. I don't do judging on any of my cars because I simply don't care, but for those who do, it seems to be VERY, VERY important. And you're simply not going to be able to make a judging class that covers every possibility on every car. Sometimes I think you just have to say, "Too bad. Enjoy your car anyway."

Trying to make everyone happy ultimately makes nobody happy.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

I am a relatively new member of BCA. I have not yet attended any BCA meet. I am a long time member of AACA and have attended many AACA Meets. I am also an AACA Judge. As I understand it, the BCA judging system was initially designed in large part along the same lines as the AACA Judging System.

It would seem to me that if a Driven Class is not permitted to have "bolt on", easily removed, modifications there is no logical reason to have the class. It would seem much more reasonable to form such a class in a manner similar to the AACA's Driver Participation Class. The description of the class in the AACA Judging Guidelines is as follows:

"Driver Participation (DPC)

The AACA Board of Directors in 2000 established DPC. This class is for the great 25 year old or older vehicles that our members enjoy driving whether it is on a tour, a cruise-in, or just having fun. This class allows for some nonauthentic upgrades, but in general, the vehicle looks essentially as it did when it came from the factory. DPC vehicles are not rigorously point judged: they are evaluated according to the guidelines of AACA. This class is for vehicles that have not obtained a National First Prize.  A vehicle that has received National awards is eligible for DPC only if the awards have been retired or returned to AACA National Headquarters. They may receive a second or third junior and still compete in DPC. This is a noncompetitive or non-judged class and will not be point judged, but vehicles will be certified upon passing a visual inspection. The shaded areas of the DPC evaluation form must be completed by the vehicle owner and the owner must sign the evaluation form before the vehicle can be certified. The owner has the option to open or leave the vehicles trunk closed. Certification will be based on vehicle components that have the same appearance as when the vehicle was manufactured and the overall condition of the vehicle in general appears acceptable. The exterior, interior, chassis, and engine components must appear period correct per the original manufacturer. The following are exceptions that will not disqualify the vehicle: seat belts, seat coverings, turn signals, stop lights, sealed beam/halogen headlights, radial tires, alloy wheels of the same era and/or same vehicle manufacturer, radio upgrades, electrical upgrades, brake upgrades (bolt on), steering upgrades (bolt on), air conditioning, overdrive system and altered exhausts. A vehicle being evaluated for the first time, if certified, will receive a DPC board, a DPC chip, and a DPC badge. The badge should be visibly mounted on the vehicle. No vehicle will be re-certified if it is not displaying the DPC badge. A DPC certified vehicle that is significantly modified will not receive its’ Repeat DPC certification. Change of ownership of a DPC vehicle requires recertification."

I am a relatively new member of BCA. I have not yet attended any BCA meet. I am a long time member of AACA and have attended many AACA Meets. I am also an AACA Judge. As I understand it, the BCA judging system was initially designed in large part along the same lines as the AACA Judging System.

It would seem to me that if a Driven Class is not permitted to have "bolt on", easily removed, modifications there is no logical reason to have the class. It would seem much more reasonable to form such a class in a manner similar to the AACA's Driver Participation Class. The description of the class in the AACA Judging Guidelines is as follows:

"Driver Participation (DPC)

The AACA Board of Directors in 2000 established DPC. This class is for the great 25 year old or older vehicles that our members enjoy driving whether it is on a tour, a cruise-in, or just having fun. This class allows for some nonauthentic upgrades, but in general, the vehicle looks essentially as it did when it came from the factory. DPC vehicles are not rigorously point judged: they are evaluated according to the guidelines of AACA. This class is for vehicles that have not obtained a National First Prize.  A vehicle that has received National awards is eligible for DPC only if the awards have been retired or returned to AACA National Headquarters. They may receive a second or third junior and still compete in DPC. This is a noncompetitive or non-judged class and will not be point judged, but vehicles will be certified upon passing a visual inspection. The shaded areas of the DPC evaluation form must be completed by the vehicle owner and the owner must sign the evaluation form before the vehicle can be certified. The owner has the option to open or leave the vehicles trunk closed. Certification will be based on vehicle components that have the same appearance as when the vehicle was manufactured and the overall condition of the vehicle in general appears acceptable. The exterior, interior, chassis, and engine components must appear period correct per the original manufacturer. The following are exceptions that will not disqualify the vehicle: seat belts, seat coverings, turn signals, stop lights, sealed beam/halogen headlights, radial tires, alloy wheels of the same era and/or same vehicle manufacturer, radio upgrades, electrical upgrades, brake upgrades (bolt on), steering upgrades (bolt on), air conditioning, overdrive system and altered exhausts. A vehicle being evaluated for the first time, if certified, will receive a DPC board, a DPC chip, and a DPC badge. The badge should be visibly mounted on the vehicle. No vehicle will be re-certified if it is not displaying the DPC badge. A DPC certified vehicle that is significantly modified will not receive its’ Repeat DPC certification. Change of ownership of a DPC vehicle requires recertification."

Those are the rules, but what is the reality?  How many have been turned away for a small deviation?  The one time I did the driven class, my 'personalized' Buick should have been disqualified, but passed like ALL the others on the field.

In years past when the National Meet had a 'safety check' at the photo station, I was not going to be the one to turn someone away because the right front signal light was not working.

My guess is that the 'judging' for the driven class is so lenient that it is a non-issue anyway.  The first few years probably had a strict interpretation by some 'gotcha' judges.  Keep the class, but drop the rules down to "it looks like a Buick" ( and has bugs on the front).  It would take a 77 LeSabre with donk wheels for me to turn it away.

Willie

• Like 5

T​hanks to all who have responded with posts and/or "Likes"!   All I'm curious about is the orientations of BCA (and similar) members on the Driven Class and how this all might affect their participation/non-participation in that class at the BCA National Meets.

I look forward to continued posts in this thread!

Thanks,

Willis Bell  20811 

I had a perfect opportunity to drive five of my prewar Buicks only 15 miles to the BCA National in Portland, but I left them all at home.  

Why???

• I felt it was too easy to get a driven award for driving only 15 miles
  • Parking arrangements were primarily by judging categories for the entire meet
  • I was too busy scrambling with last minute PWD & forum meeting arrangements to bring my own cars

Those who have followed my previous posts know that I am about driving my Buicks and parking all together until the last day of the meet.  I agree with Larry Schramm that the only question is weather a car was actually driven to the meet.  A simple sticker with the mileage noted could easily be placed in the car window or on an award won at that meet to show that driven cars can also win other BCA awards. The driven award need not be a costly medallion; it should be just a badge of recognition that does not prevent the owner to enter the car in other categories.

Edited by mark shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello everybody nice topic.  I would just like to say that I love to drive my 1940 century to all the shows. anybody who drives a antique  BUICK to a show should get a grill badge (I have quite a few) If it looks like and it was made at a BUICK plant then it is a BUICK . I myself think that the owner did whatever he liked and is very proud of his work and should be congratulate for saving a masterpiece from the bone yard.

have a great BUICK day

BUKE

• Like 3

The only "mod" that I have made to my car is adding a dual reservoir master cylinder.  Having lost brake function twice in first gen Rivs, this mod was a no brainer.  Is this car currently eligible for the driven class?  Never restored but completely repainted in the early 80's so archival is out. Too many condition issues to even think about 400 pt judging. 

The only "mod" that I have made to my car is adding a dual reservoir master cylinder.  Having lost brake function twice in first gen Rivs, this mod was a no brainer.  Is this car currently eligible for the driven class?  Never restored but completely repainted in the early 80's so archival is out. Too many condition issues to even think about 400 pt judging. 

Absoutely! We would love to have you in the Driven Class.

• Like 1

Have driven to Flint twice (ha) + Columbus, OH and Buffalo, NY (don't beleive the Award existed back then), Rochester, MN (my first Driven Award) and South Bend, IN (my second).  All from 18 miles south of Flint.  Modifications are a period correct stop light, naugahide seating instead of leather that is as old as I am, tires one size larger than stock, seat belts and safety glass.  I read the Driven Award rules before I left too just to make sure.  Even got the o.k.to take the S.S. Badger across Lake Michigan from the Chief Judge ahead of time and had lots of fun travelling with 'The Old Guy' Joe Taubitz and Bill McLaughlin.

If you look real careful in my profile picture to the left, the object on the dash to the right most side is the BCA Driven Award.  Having it there has caused more positive converstation about the BCA then any other part of my car (the really nice personalized BCA Centennial Meet license plate being #2) .  'You drove it where?'  'How far?'  'How fast?'  'How long did that take?'  'What route did you take?'  'It's how old?'  'You mean there were other people in old Buicks that drove them too?'  (yep) "You mean to say, you've never broken down going to one of these meets?' (correct).  'So you don't just drive it here around town?' (nope)  'Man that has to be lots of fun' (yes it is, would you like to go for a ride?).

I gave my first Driven Award to my Dad who joined me for the 100F+ trip to Columbus years earlier telling him he earned it.  His response, 'boy, we sure did for that trip, man was its hot'.  He placed that Badge on his coffee table for years until he passed away at 91 and got the same questions I did and got to tell the same stories to every new visitor he had about all the places/tours we had been on addition to the BCA Nationals.  He had a box of WWII Pilot Medals that never saw the light of day in that same table.

• Like 7

Have driven to Flint twice (ha) + Columbus, OH and Buffalo, NY (don't beleive the Award existed back then), Rochester, MN (my first Driven Award) and South Bend, IN (my second).  All from 18 miles south of Flint.  Modifications are a period correct stop light, naugahide seating instead of leather that is as old as I am, tires one size larger than stock, seat belts and safety glass.  I read the Driven Award rules before I left too just to make sure.  Even got the o.k.to take the S.S. Badger across Lake Michigan from the Chief Judge ahead of time and had lots of fun travelling with 'The Old Guy' Joe Taubitz and Bill McLaughlin.

If you look real careful in my profile picture to the left, the object on the dash to the right most side is the BCA Driven Award.  Having it there has caused more positive converstation about the BCA then any other part of my car (the really nice personalized BCA Centennial Meet license plate being #2) .  'You drove it where?'  'How far?'  'How fast?'  'How long did that take?'  'What route did you take?'  'It's how old?'  'You mean there were other people in old Buicks that drove them too?'  (yep) "You mean to say, you've never broken down going to one of these meets?' (correct).  'So you don't just drive it here around town?' (nope)  'Man that has to be lots of fun' (yes it is, would you like to go for a ride?).

I gave my first Driven Award to my Dad who joined me for the 100F+ trip to Columbus years earlier telling him he earned it.  His response, 'boy, we sure did for that trip, man was its hot'.  He placed that Badge on his coffee table for years until he passed away at 91 and got the same questions I did and got to tell the same stories to every new visitor he had about all the places/tours we had been on addition to the BCA Nationals.  He had a box of WWII Pilot Medals that never saw the light of day in that same table.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that Brian.