1972 Chevy Nova with only 4300 Original Miles

Guest ZechysChevy

Guest ZechysChevy

Hello,

Recently been offered a chance to buy a 1972 Chevy Nova with only 4300 Original miles. Original sales slips are included in the sale. Black paint and black interior. Needs new Battery. Clean as a whistle inside. Outside has about 1/4 inch dust on it. Seller wants $20k! I know the miles are low and all but isn't $20k kind of steep? Its got the stock V6. To me it seems a lot of the value is in the low miles and excellent shape. I change one thing on it and I'm losing value. Anyhow I'd love to hear what you all feel about it because part of me wants the car and other half says I could make a very fast 1972 Nova for that price!

Reality check. Tell him you will seriously consider it at $20,000 after you take it for a drive around the block. Then ask for any documentation of the original miles to verify that it is not 104,300 miles. If this is a low mileage car, total up the cost of making the repairs that would be needed to drive the car around the block. Since the seller doesn't have the car running or clean assume everything that you can not test or see as it stands is a deduction. The things to consider are:

Needs battery

Engine can not be cranked because of no battery, assume a seized engine or cracked block because of no antifreeze

All belts and hoses are shot and have to be replaced. This would not reduce the value if done correctly

Fuel system needs to be completely cleaned out

All tires are rotted and have to be replaced.

A complete brake overhaul is required

This car has lacquer paint from the factory. Lacquer will form tiny crack and allow moisture to reach the metal and cause surface rust. A 1/4 inch of dust will trap moisture and cause the paint to fail.

Also, Chevy did not have a V6 in 1972 only an I6

The list goes on.

That's why I say, consider the $20,000 price after a drive around the block.

Good luck!

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Guest ZechysChevy

Very helpful post above. So your saying that there's a good chance that once the dust is removed I might find out I need to repaint it. Which basically takes the original label right away. I'm going to post some pics real quick

Guest my3buicks

Storage looks dry, from what I can see the paint should clean up fine. But you still have a basic Chevy, if it were an SS or a highly desirable model, value may be there. But as it sits it's not even worth half of the asking price, maybe start at $10K and start subtracting all that it will need, probably it's worth $5-7K max

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest ZechysChevy

His reasoning on price is because he says there probably isn't another one with less miles. One of those guys that thinks he has the holy grail! I thought price was steep but its hard to compare because every nova it seems has been over hauled or changed up!

His reasoning on price is because he says there probably isn't another one with less miles.

Almost sounds like he doesn't really want to sell it.... But you're probably right ... he thinks he has the holy grail, when in reality, not so much. SMH.

Cort :)www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve

"What are you gonna do when that new wears off?" __ Shenandoah __ 'See If I Care'

The top auction sale prices (for auctions that have actually closed with a sale, not just asking prices) for 1972 Novas have been in the $12K-$14K range. These are very nice V8 cars. I agree that $10K is the upper limit for a six cylinder car, no matter how nice.

Don't feel bad ZechysChevy.

In the last Hemmings there is a report by a professional writer on two cars that were sold at an Arizona auction: a 1931 V16 Caddy that sold for less than a V8 1931 Chrysler Imperial . Chrysler's first cars with a V8 was in 1951.

An engine compartment photo would really give a better idication of the mileage. I knew a guy who knew a guy (wink wink) who could set a speedometer to any mileage in about 1/2 hour back then. My first questions are why and how only 4300 miles? Who bought a new car back then and never used it? A six cylinder 3 speed was bought by someone who was driving and fuel mileage was a concern in my opinion. I give it a little more on the price becasue it appears to be rust free, I would give it more on the value I say it is in the 7K to 9.5K range, if it is rust free and interior perfect. That work comes with a price even if it needed paint as long as the metalwork is not needed the price of paint prep is much less

Edited by Biscayne John (see edit history)

What documentation does he have to prove it has only 4300 miles and not 143000? He should have a good story and excellent proof to back it up.

Anyone who's spent any time with 1960s/70s GM cars can usually tell if the mileage is 4300 or 104300. For example, if the pedal pads are worn (or brand new), chances are the mileage is high. Unworn originals are a pretty good indication that the mileage is real. Similar inspections of all the "wear" areas (heel pad, steering wheel, etc) will tell the tale.

ZechyChevy you would be surprised how many cars are out there with some pretty low miles. If your heart is set on this great, but for $20K, you can probably find a 78 vette pace car with around 20,000 or so miles, there are usually a few of them in HMN.. Not huge on these cars but I would rather have that than a Nova for my money. I am not sure the best 6 cylinder Nova in the world is worth $20K, you might have a challenge if you ever decide to sell.

ZechyChevy you would be surprised how many cars are out there with some pretty low miles. If your heart is set on this great, but for $20K, you can probably find a 78 vette pace car with around 20,000 or so miles, there are usually a few of them in HMN.. Not huge on these cars but I would rather have that than a Nova for my money. I am not sure the best 6 cylinder Nova in the world is worth $20K, you might have a challenge if you ever decide to sell.

Very good point. Almost new 70's Vettes can be had for that price at Mecum all the time.

Regarding mileage information, I too knew a fellow one of whose jobs in High School at the local dealer(Major Domestic) was to connect an electric motor with a speedometer cable attached to it and "adjust" the mileage on used cars to reflect what the sales manager wanted it to be. This was 45 years ago and of course there were no "telltales" to give it away. The Dealer is still in business under the same name.

Regarding mileage information, I too knew a fellow one of whose jobs in High School at the local dealer(Major Domestic) was to connect an electric motor with a speedometer cable attached to it and "adjust" the mileage on used cars to reflect what the sales manager wanted it to be. This was 45 years ago and of course there were no "telltales" to give it away. The Dealer is still in business under the same name.
45 years ago, we had "Harry the Speedo Man". He used little picks to reset the wheels in the odo. No cable or electric motor. It took him 30 minutes or so. He got 50 bucks a car. I'll bet he made a fortune. He worked for a number of dealers. One of them is one of the largest Nissan dealers in SoCal.

Are you sure it has a V6??? The Chevrolet V6 didn't go into production until 1978, 200 cu.in. 95 HP. Should be 250 straight 6. No a/c.

It would be a 250 cu. in. seven main bearing straight six as the standard engine and would remain so through the 1979 season. BTW a great reliable engine. This engine will also be standard on the other divisions versions of the Nova. Pontiac Ventura/Phoenix through 1975, Omega through 1976. The exception would be the Buick Skylark which used the 231 V6, which the Pontiac Phoenix used from 1976 to 1979 and Olds Omega from 1977-1979. Also that engine the chevy I-6 is the base engine in the 1976 Cutlass.

50 years ago it was standard practice to "clock" a car. All dealers did it and all of them had a good supply of "low milage" cars.

Maybe that is why when a car had 70,000 miles on the odometer the engine was completely worn out. It probably had 170,000 miles actual miles.

That is the slowest way to move tumblers I've ever heard of. Much faster to remove the head and spin the tumblers in these old types.

That is the slowest way to move tumblers I've ever heard of. Much faster to remove the head and spin the tumblers in these old types.

^^^ This!

I reset the odo to 000000 when I go through and rebuild a car. With the speedo out, this only takes a few minutes.

That would take days to it done that way