All time great model names

Guest 2fit661ca

Guest 2fit661ca

I'm looking for what you guys think are some of the greatest vehicle model names ever created, world wide. Now, I'm looking for great names, not great models. I'm kind of curious to see what we can come up with. If you feel like it, tell a story behind the car as well as some pictures. I'll start with my two most favorite model names.

1. Jeep Gladiator

2. Jensen Interceptor

post-73242-143139172969_thumb.jpg

post-73242-143139172965_thumb.jpg

In use for almost 50 years; Super Sport.

Over 50 years, the Crosley Super Sports was announced in 1950 as the Super version of the Hotshot. I know it has an extra "s" on the end. :cool:

The Phantom and the Silver Ghost

Just think, without them there wouldn't be the comic books and the world would be a poorer place.

I used to wish I had one of those Phantom skull rings when I was a kid :)

On the other side of the coin.

Not sure about the US but in Australia in the 70's Nissan had a large car called The "Cedric" and they wondered why no one would buy it.

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

Guest morerevsm3
Mustang - an outstanding name .... !!!

In one word, it almost completely describes American's love of performance automobiles.

I thought it was a reference to a middle aged women without a bra....:P

Nobody's mentioned Prius ??

Al

I was just about to. Unlike almost every name on an "import" car today, Pruis is an actual word that actually means something significant to the car. Try and find a new car name in the last 30 years that can say that!

Other names that were great, but often don't get their due (sometimes because of the cars they were attached to):

Dodge Conquest, Standard Vanguard, Dodge Lancer, AMC Javelin, Studebaker Hawk, Chrysler Newport, Mercury Cougar, Pontiac Catalina, Imperial, Triumph, Bentley Continental, Lotus Elan, Lamborghini Countach, Opel Manta, Stutz Bearcat.

All time greatest name ever:

Ford Thunderbird

Edited by Dave@Moon
forgot to add the Stutz Bearcat (see edit history)

I was just about to. Unlike almost every name on an "import" car today, Pruis is an actual word that actually means something significant to the car. Try and find a new car name in the last 30 years that can say that

All time greatest name ever:

Ford Thunderbird

GTO

I was just about to. Unlike almost every name on an "import" car today, Pruis is an actual word that actually means something significant to the car. Try and find a new car name in the last 30 years that can say that!

It may not be 30 years, but how about Metropolitan?

Roadmaster is one of the best because it signifies the boss of the highway. Thunderbird sounds like some kind of special creature. Silver Ghost sounds like something desireable but highly elusive. The ones that tempts you to want to visit exotic places are good. Riviera, Catalina, Fairlane, Caribbean, and of course Eldorado. GTO sounds good for a Ferrari but sounds like an imposter when applied to Pontiac. Wildcat is an apt name for the Buick it was applied to but Lynx, Bobcat, Hornet, Wasp, Pinto, Road Runner, Super Bee lack something, especially when used on underpowered, compact cars. A nice Imperial is truly imperial.

Mustang reminds me of a series of cowboy/Indian related names:

Bronco, Pinto, Colt, Chieftan, Fire Chief, Charakee, Mountaineer, Pheonix,,,, there most be more?

Apache, Ranchero,Thunderbird,Durango,Arrow (Pierce and Plymouth),Caballero,Maverick,Roundup,Renegade,Ranger,Lariat

Edited by Dave Mellor NJ (see edit history)

Roadmaster is one of the best because it signifies the boss of the highway. Thunderbird sounds like some kind of special creature. Silver Ghost sounds like something desireable but highly elusive. The ones that tempts you to want to visit exotic places are good. Riviera, Catalina, Fairlane, Caribbean, and of course Eldorado. GTO sounds good for a Ferrari but sounds like an imposter when applied to Pontiac. Wildcat is an apt name for the Buick it was applied to but Lynx, Bobcat, Hornet, Wasp, Pinto, Road Runner, Super Bee lack something, especially when used on underpowered, compact cars. A nice Imperial is truly imperial.

The term GTO is a term not owned by Ferrari or Pontiac, but by the Federation International Automobile and could be assigned to any car meeting the criteria. Grand Touring Homologated. Both cars are Grand Touring Cars, and both had been homologated, which they both are a end product made out of different parts, all produced by the same manufacturer. In Pontiac's case it was the Bonneville's 389" engine, and in the Ferrari's case, the the street version of one of their racing engines.