All time great model names

Guest 2fit661ca

Datsun "Sunny Excellent" has to take the cake for me. Apparently the Japanese liked how that sounded, as it was only used on the home-market cars, from what I understand.

Datsun "Sunny Excellent" has to take the cake for me. Apparently the Japanese liked how that sounded, as it was only used on the home-market cars, from what I understand.

I mentioned Sunny in thread 57.

I mentioned Sunny in thread 57.

Sorry, didn't see that. I'll say Invicta Black Prince, in that case. Someone mentioned Invicta, but not specifically the Black Prince (1946-1949). What a name for a car!

• 7 years later...

Someone mentioned the Apperson Jackrabbit but who remembers the Apperson Big Dick, the most awesomely named performance car of all time?

A Name You'll Never Forget
Most Powerful Brass Era Car, pre-1916
1907-1908 Apperson Big Dick, 96hp
For those with $15,000 to spend, Apperson would put their race engine in a 50hp Jackrabbit runabout to create the Big Dick. A 96hp racing runabout, the Big Dick actually had the highest advertised horsepower in an American automobile through 1914. It had open exhaust and a 6 1/4-inch bore and 5 1/2-inch stroke, for 675-cu.in. Amazingly, the company sold 15 of them, and that in the face of competition from Locomobile's own $15,000 short stroke 990.1-cu.in., 90hp Cup Racer (the factory claimed 120hp for the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup car upon which it was based).

I hope this doesn't get too far afield. Years ago my frustration with the way some car manufacturers named their models led me to do some research and to come to some conclusions. Most car companies used descriptive terms, like Big Six, Special Six and Super Six may have been descriptive when they were newer, but IMHO these had no personality, or soul. Some of the terminology is simply baffling, eighty years since they were new. Pierce Arrow, IMO, did a particularly poor job during the late 20's and 30's. There was simply no continuity, and questionable logical descriptive terminology used.

Some other observations:

Rolls Royce should be noted for being way ahead of the curve-The Silver Ghost in 1909, fabulous name. The Phantom-from 1925 has continued for almost 100 years.

In 1927 Studebaker may have been the first American car to see the benefit of naming their models as a marketing aid. For the forty years after the names President, Land Cruiser, Commander and Champion, were first used, the names were still used in the same order, to denote model hierarchy. If I'm wrong I would appreciate any corrections.

It wasn't until the 30's that most US car companies began the naming process.

No matter how men name their own cars, cutesy feminine names like La Femme, Cricket and Fairlady don't aid in selling cars. With the exception of the Beatle.

Car manufacturers have moved model names, within there model hierarchy, far too often. They have also discontinued too many names, which had come to mean something to the buying public. 

Bill

32 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Pierce Arrow, IMO, did a particularly poor job during the late 20's and 30's. There was simply no continuity, and questionable logical descriptive terminology used.

You're right, Pierce did a horrible job with their model names.

But they were always a very conservative manufacturer that maybe they didn't want a flashy name associated with the car?

I can't answer that one.

I will never be able to fathom how any company could market a car named KIA here in America, when every serviceman from the war of independence til today, knows it as the acronym for Killed In Action.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2012 at 2:04 PM, Bill K. said:

Sorry, didn't see that. I'll say Invicta Black Prince, in that case. Someone mentioned Invicta, but not specifically the Black Prince (1946-1949). What a name for a car!

And park it next to an Alvis Grey Lady in your garage, and see if you have Leyland Tiger Cub between them the next morning!!

Craig

19 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I will never be able to fathom how any company could market a car named KIA here in America, when every serviceman from the war of independence til today, knows it as the acronym for Killed In Action.

I know what the acronym means but I somehow never made the connection with the car name.  In Korean, it means "To rise from Asia".

On 12/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, knee-action said:

How about the 1950-1951 Lincoln Lido?. Legend has it that the car was named in honor of Lee Iaccoa, but Ive never seen any proof of that.

In 1950-'51, no one at Ford knew or cared who Lee Iacocca was.  He didn't come to any prominent notice at Ford until he came up with the "A '56 Ford for $56 a month'  The Lido is a resort area on the Italian coast.

I don't know that any car was more legendary than the Hudson Hornet (maybe the Mormon Meteor?). I can remember as far back as the early '50's and my Dad who had always been interested in Stock Car Racing telling me about them, and how they were eating the lunch's of all the Big 3's products. The latest re-birth came in the CARS set of Disney movies , where ole "Doc Hudson" was seen passing on his racing guile to the new kid on the block. Their relatively short lived success over 3-4 years was an important period in the beginning of NASCAR as we know it. Saw a Doc Hudson clone at Hershey in 2015, quite a car.  Anyone who has tried to outrun a Hornet knows how futile that is!

Hudson Hornetdownload.jpg

Hudson Hornet 2.jpg

Hudson Hornet 3.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke
added photo and more detail (see edit history)