Speedsters Anyone?

Steve_Mack_CT

Whenever a speedster comes up there seems to be interest in discussing and I know a number of forum members own or are interested in these cars. A fantastic 1913 Buick Speedster is currently for sale in the "Buy/Sell" section of the forum, albeit a bit much for me! :( That said, I am seeing these surface based on models other than the typical "A" or "T".

So my suggestion is a section dedicated to these cars. Ground rules would be simple - this would not be a hot rod forum or anything like that, but be specifically for speedsters based on running gear no later than say, 1931? (This to allow inclusion of A based speedsters, but the date is only a suggestion.) What I have in mind is really the stuff dating prior to 1920. Granted this is a little different than our other forums, however can anyone think of a better place to house such a forum? Would be great to follow a couple builders or have someone like the builder of the Buick post a bit about their project. Also would be nice to know where some of these folks source parts like the gas tanks, seats, etc.

A friend built a nice T speedster a couple years ago and had the cowl fabbed locally, which I thought was interesting, and it came out great.

Not looking for another controversial topic (hopiing this isn't), and of course would defer the great folks who run our site on any groundrules, but I thought I would see if anyone else likes this idea.

Selfish reason is I want to learn more about these as I have been thinking about diving in. I am confident I could build a decent T based speedster but wonder if something a little more exotic would be possible..

Thoughts?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
clarity (see edit history)

I like your idea. I'm currently assembling a Franklin raceabout from spare parts. I don't have enough parts to build a complete car, but I can put another Franklin back on the road as a raceabout.

A speedster forum would let everyone share ideas and tips.

Guest daytona

Got my vote, I would love to build another speedster but would like something a little different from the T speedster that I built. Something on a bit larger wheelbase yet that would not be terribly expensive to build like a LaFrance would be. I think I would prefer brass era only but who knows...

It would be great if anyone had some period, detailed photos of a few speedsters. Great idea Steve.

post-62767-143138948114_thumb.jpg

Steve, Excellent idea! I've always had a soft spot for these cars since the 1960's when as a teen I first became interested in antique cars. Back then many surviving chassis's were just easier to turn into a speedster than to fabricate entire missing bodies. Until recently I thought these were mostly built during that period. After acquiring a 1917 Maxwell chassis I too decided since I had limited funds and no body I too should try a speedster. In my research I've found that these were a LOT more common than I first thought and contrary to what I was first told even Maxwell dabbled in several versions of speedsters. I've found automotive magazines of the period are full of parts for and inquiries and suggestions of how to build speedsters. This should prove to be a popular subject I think.

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138948117_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138948134_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138948137_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138948141_thumb.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Thanks all - Howard, looks like my lunchtime reading assignment has arrived... ;)

I was hoping Mr. Daytona would pipe up - look closely at the cowl on his (ex) speedster, to see some nice local fabrication work!

I'm fascinated by them. The first one I ever saw was the National Roadster in the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago way back in the 50's. A car similar to the Mercer Raceabout and the Stutz Bearcat. I wanted one but at age 68, I'm still "speedsterless".

The Newport, Indiana Hillclimb attracts a large number of speedsters, 15 maybe and mostly Model T's.

I'd love to follow a thread on these interesting automobiles. There has to be a lot of interesting history here.

Howard

1932 Packard Light Eight Coupe-Roadster

Like the idea of speedster anyone.

I had 1919 ALF that I started to convert but had recently sold it when I found someone looking for one.

The trouble was, had not satisfied the speedster itch and have recently moved into a 1914 Overland speedster project.

1914 was the only year for a factory speedster by Overland and all of the factory blueprints for most of the parts are available through the owners club. How great is that? I kind of fell into this one and am very pumped about getting it on the road for it's 100th birthday.

Best, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some pics of a 1911 Hudson model 33 I used to own. It came from Art Burrichter(sp) in Iowa. Originally it was a torpedo touring, I think the body was removed and converted to a pickup truck during WWII so a farmer could get gas for it. Around 1961 it was converted into a speedster.

It is in California now, I am amused by the "story" the current owners have fabricated. I have another 1911 Hudson 33 torpedo touring, it was parted out and parts used to make up a so-called Mile-A-Minuter speedster. Bob Forbes had my original engine but alas I lost rack of it. I still need an engine.

post-31787-143138976217_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143138976222_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143138976243_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143138976245_thumb.jpg

post-31787-143138976247_thumb.jpg

I saw this Bentley a couple of weekends back at the Rolls-Royce National Rally on the Gold Coast in Australia.

It had the "saddle bags" on both sides and the trunk rack out the back so I would say they must have travelled some distance.

post-58798-143138978956_thumb.jpg

post-58798-143138978959_thumb.jpg

MSMAZCOL, any more pictures of the Franklin Speedster, looks great. Who made the body??

Body hand built by my Dad, Milton. Amazing what you can do with a cardboard mock up, a black crayon, and lots of imagination.

Inspired by Cannon Ball Bakers pike peak racer.

post-60266-143138981872_thumb.jpg

post-60266-143138981909_thumb.jpg

post-60266-143138981944_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is building an ALF speedster, I have some parts that could be of value to you. They are large cowl lights w/brackets, ALF MotoMeter, two spot lights and some misc. stuff. I can provide pictures of everything if interested.

I had a project at one time, but it went down the road.

Thanks, Mark

• 4 weeks later...
Guest postwarnut

Here are a couple Speedsters the Historic Vehicle Association spotted while on the 2012 Great Race! post-86153-143139093685_thumb.jpg

post-86153-143139093676_thumb.jpg

post-86153-143139093678_thumb.jpg

post-86153-143139093681_thumb.jpg

Guest postwarnut
Here's our 1920 Model T with a Frontenac 'T' head. Lots of fun!
Chris happens to be one of my professors at McPherson College, and although I haven't yet had a chance to ride in his speedster, I have drooled over it many a times! Here is a picture I snapped of one its many mismatched tires from the McPherson College Cars Club Car Show this past May!

post-86153-143139093707_thumb.jpg

There were a few at the Millers at Milwaukee event last week. Harry A. Miller Club.

They were also celebrating the Vanderbilt Cup Centennial. Sorry there are off topic pictures included. Enjoy!

Friday

https://picasaweb.google.com/106722423104881229854/Millers12?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIHvytPlo-ydRQ&feat=directlink

Saturday

https://picasaweb.google.com/106722423104881229854/Millers7812?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP2P48qIr-3ongE&feat=directlink

• 4 weeks later...