Name This 1932 ???

BOPcollector

NICE FIND!! Looks to be either a 1933 Chrysler CO-6 convertible sedan (one of 207 built) or a Royal Eight 5-passenger convertible sedan (one of 257 built), but with Plymouth headlamps. It could be one of those oddball export Chryslers with a mix of parts. Looks like the dashboard has been "customized" and maybe the windshield, too. Very rare in my opinion. Somebody REALLY needs to save that car!! Interesting 1946, '47 or '48 Chrysler taillight mounted horizontally on the back of the car you posted photos of.

post-37352-143138650108_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650122_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650157_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138650169_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

John, your knowledge of these models is flat-out amazing -- half of the time I can't remember why I was walking from the garage back to the house, and you can rattle off these details -- pretty durn good for an old guy!

hello everyone, this car looks great to me,i myself cant afford low mileage originals to restore,i always say anyone can restore a very nice original but it takes hard work and determination to restore the basket cases, but maybe its because im a junk man at heart,if this vehicle is for sale id like a shot at it,please email me at daves place 2010@yahoo.com,again my comments are from a junk mans heart, dave

I cannot tell from the hood or the engine views if it is a six or an eight cylinder. Which is it? The more I look at it, the more I want it. Marty, I have been studying this era of Chrysler products since I was about 13 years old (now 58 11/12) and I can tell you that I still learn more about them every day. Some folks on this forum have taught me a LOT about all of their cars, but my love is the Chrysler product line, so I retain that stuff better. The car in question almost has that Canadian Chrysler with Plymouth lamps on it look. I hope I didn't steer anyone wrong about what it is or may be. The engine number and serial number will tell. The dashboard instruments are 1946-48 Chrysler. I believe the front fenders are 1933 Plymouth DeLuxe Six fenders along with the headlamps. Like I said, I'm guessing. There seems to be an extra door in the car....something for about a 1920s open car.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest Dick Whittington

I have not done the research to put a value on this car, but if it could be bought reasonably, owner do a lot of work, and take their time in finding parts, I believe it could be a very valuable restoration, for less than mega bucks

A 2 door convertible must be a mega rare, desirable car. It would be worth buying just for the body. Then watch on Ebay etc for a same year sedan parts car.

I think this would be the way to go. A nice sedan of the same wheelbase would need to be sacrificed for the greater good of saving a really cool body. Who ever gets it keep us posted. Looks like your basic 10 year project.

Something doesn't look right with the downward swoop at the rear quarters. Too deep and kind of awkward. Also notice that the body has been "channeled" at the back to lower the body around the frame. A hammered down 2 door sedan rear body section maybe, mated to a conv cowl and doors? The transition between the side molding at the top of the doors and the molding around the rear tub looks funky as well. Sure would like to see more pics, especially of any top assembly mounting hardware and the framing inside the rear body section.

There's no question that this is a genuine body. In the early 80s I had a friend who owned a 33 Chrysler CO. He took me to see a guy in Carlisle Pa (in town) who was restoring one of these. It had been brought up from South America. He said there were 3 known at that time and I think he said there were a few Plymouths.

Actually I think there is a very big question. Only more pics might provide the answer. There was in the 1970's, and still is to some degree, a cottage industry of changing closed cars into open examples. Within the last 3 years there has been a 1950's convertible shown in AACA competition that began life as a sedan. Cars coming out of South America are notoriously suspect. I do hope this body is real but I suspect if it was it wouldn't still be sitting where it is.

Guest 33chrysler

After thoroughly looking over the pictures I am convinced that this is not a 33 Chrysler. Sure the grill shell and front fenders are and very likely the chassis as well. It appears to be an 8 cylinder from the 8 crankhole. The "custom" taillights tell me this is likely someone's hobbled together idea of a art project. Chrysler never had a windshield like that and it's obvious the cowl and firewall are not Chrysler. The 34 CA had a chrome windshield but it laid down like the 33-34 Dodge Plymouth's. It looks cool but really has no collectible value except to someone like me who is looking for a 8 cylinder chassis and engine.

This AACA info request was linked over to the hamb. There were pics posted of a Chrysler 4 dr conv sedan to compare. One guy from Europe said he thought it was a shortened 4dr conv sedan. I agree. Take a look at one of the pics showing the running board; the board is way too short to be a factory anything, not even coachbuilt.

Also one view shows an odd angle of the rear beltline detail as it meets the door. That odd angle was caused by the ill fitting panels when it was shortened. If you could strip the paint, I'd bet you will see the panel welding done to part of the quarter.

If you look at the rear body panel, there are signs of where the stock Chrysler trunk was.

Many countless cars were modified in the 50s to mimic shorter sports car styles.

• 4 months later...