Roger's handcrafted 1:12 scale models

In fact, the front wheel alignment was done when I fabricated the parts. some trial and error...as usual. However, like the real car, the front end could be adjusted with shims. No, I did not do shims...

Something more trivial: at the beginning of this mad report, many people responded and/or asked questions. Lately, only a few are still putting comments. However, with the number of "views" from the topic, I suppose the same people are still looking! Anyway, thanks for your fidelity!

Roger,

I think that most of your readers are so used to being amazed at your work that they don't know of anything worth saying when looking at your latest posts. It is always good to see a new post so we can once again be amazed. While doing my restoration work, and documenting it in my own restoration discussion, I get some idea of what it is like to figure out how to do the next job, but you are doing it in a higher level of quality and on such a tiny scale that it is constantly amazing. 

The silent majority is the one who is letting the count of views going up!

Matthew, you are also one of the first who responded. You are correct, at first that kind of post in a forum not devoted to scale model is surprising and the ones who got there have a view of something unexpected and at first are writing comments and questions. As the time goes on, people are still interested but the questions are rarer. Quite logic. Anyway, I'm still amazed at the number of views: more than 300'000! OK, in a time frame of about 8 years...

I just can say thank you first at the AACA who allowed me to show what I'm doing and at all who are looking. Enjoy the week-end!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr. Z, I too rarely comment, but be assured I am always waiting for the next post from you !  This is always the 1st place I look when I get on this forum, and really appreciate your words, wisdom, talent, and pictures.  I used to think I built models, but realize I just "glued stuff together", ha !  Thanks again, you are an amazing gentleman.

• Thanks 1

I'm still here too Roger, but I use the "thumb up" button to let you know I appreciate your work and your updates. I have no useful information to contribute to your thread other than my support, so I don't want to add clutter of my own between your amazing updates! I really appreciate your skill and attention to detail though. It'll be a shame when it's finished.

Roger, I've followed since the beginning and replied early on your skills, I still always pretty much shake my head in amazement every time you post an update. I've run out of words to express my thoughts and often smile at the amount of talent you have shown while documenting this build thread. This is and will be one of the top threads I will always remember and am very happy that you did decide to post it here. I'll be disappointed when the build comes to an end as it is something that I and I'm sure many others will miss. Scott...

Yep, me too.  Still watching.  Long ago ran out of amazement.  I remember that day you made the mold for the tire and I realized what that meant and where you were taking this project.  I was astounded then and have continued to be as time has gone on. 

Everyone's still looking and eagerly awaiting more posts.

• Like 1

Roger, I too am one that doesn't post much, but that doesn't mean I don't marvel in the skill you display! I truly enjoy seeing the progress you've made on your Continental. Also, the difficulties you run into during the build are interesting as well.

Keith

Sorry for my message from Sunday. I was not fishing for compliments but just wondered if the viewers from the first hours were still there and why there were less comments as before. Sure, I see who is making a notification, which is a good way to avoid repetitive comment(s).

Thanks to all for your comments and explanation, they are appreciated.

• Like 1

Roger,

See? Your fan club is still there.  Some are the silent types, just reading and marveling. Others jump in (like me) and opine on your marvelous progress.    When ever I sit down at my computer, after I read and answer my emails, I always drift to the AACA Forums and go to your thread to see what you have posted.  Many days, there are no new postings.  Some days there are a few.  Always a good day to find you with new postings.   

Randy 

16 hours ago, Randiego said:

Roger,

See? Your fan club is still there.  Some are the silent types, just reading and marveling. Others jump in (like me) and opine on your marvelous progress.    When ever I sit down at my computer, after I read and answer my emails, I always drift to the AACA Forums and go to your thread to see what you have posted.  Many days, there are no new postings.  Some days there are a few.  Always a good day to find you with new postings.   

Randy 

This. 

This is the one thread I immediately go to when I am online. Hands down one of the most impressive skill sets I have seen.

Yep! Again, thanks for all the messages and comments. I will try to pursue this adventure as well as I can!

I’m now towards the end of the paint problem corrections. It was most probably my own fault: To correct irregularities, I’m using a sprayable filler. As I prefer to remove unnecessary materiel than sand and respray again, I’m spraying 2 or 3 coats of that product. When this filler is too thick, it creates tiny pores. Before my eye intervention, I did not see them. Now, I’m more careful: one coat and usually it’s enough. Sometimes too much is worse than not enough.

I had to redo the color coat at the door and trunk entrances. I still have the RH front fender to correct; I’m glad it’s soon over!

In between, I did the wires for the battery and starter motor as well as the lines for the power steering.

Yesterday, I could pick-up the chromed letters and began soon to separate each letter from its brass base. As I expected, it’s not easy: the chrome did a bridge between the base and the letter; that bridge is rather strength and the letters small…All went rather well until the last letter was to be removed: it went in the air and I could not find it immediately. I searched for about ½ hour and gave up. Later that day, I searched on another floor’s surface and I saw it! The chromed bridge had to be removed manually with a sanding wheel held with the fingers and with a Japanese cutter. Now, they are ready to be attached!

944 Chromed letters.JPG

945 Chromed letters.JPG

• Like 4

Yes , I am in the group who feel rather humbled by your abilities. It is that any verbal accolades simply fall short of the mark for us. We watch in stunned silence. I am grateful for this opportunity to thank you ! Maybe the term "dumbstruck" defines myself and others ? And we know you do astonishing work full-scale also !      Your Cadillac friend ,   - Cadillac Carl 

I never heard back from Laurent , Roger. I emailed , received no response. As you know , I had put enormous effort into making his trip to our country enjoyable and productive. If you consider the amount of time , money , and effort HE had spent , it may be understandable that the collapse of his dreams and trip due to illness was devastating. Remember also that his two other friends were depending on him to translate. I spoke with him on the phone during the time he was preparing for his automotive adventure. He is very intelligent , with idiomatic proficiency in English , albeit heavily accented. I found him to catch on well to the parameters of Cadillac hunting in Los Angeles. I thoroughly interrogated the owners of the cars he selected , (others also) , and of the large market available in Southern California , he had picked the right ones ! I hope he can replenish his lost Euros and recover his confidence , and make another try. I would be happy to help him again. Thank you for asking.

And your recent US Cadillac acquisition ? Has it been delivered intact ? Sight unseen , was it not ? I hope it met your expectations.

I think you are "more popular than Elvis" these days ! A third of a million views ! All the friends and awe struck admirers ! World wide ! You are a standard bearer for the tradition of Swiss precision !              Again , Roger , Thank You so much for taking all the time to share with us !      - Carl 

Ah! more popular than Elvis...maybe, in that forum certainly, but not with the same income! If I'm adding the views from other forums where I'm also "active", I have more than half a million of them! Fortunately, I don't have to thanks each one!

My "new" car is not yet arrived, mostly my fault: I did not ask Brian Faull if he had the time and I never asked for a deadline. Now, it seems that the car will be ready end of June. It will arrive sometimes during the autumn. I'm sure I'm the sole as...le who can wait more than a year from payment to delivery!

I'm still not convinced that the Laurent's story was real, but I'm not always right!

I'll tell you , Roger : Laurent"s story COULD conceivably have been a fabrication. I am a bit too trusting for my own good. However , remember I DID speak with him for some time on the phone. If he was able to perpetrate such a fiction over the duration , and considering the knowledge he acquired of the L.A. target Cadillac market , he may have a job waiting for him right here in Hollywood ! He would have had to been an actor of the caliber of "Bobby" D.N. Maybe even to the level of Sir "Laurent" O. ! 

And as to your patience in waiting for your Cadillac , patience , in your case , is an obvious virtue ! Admittedly , at times it can be a pain in the pos...ior !      ?.    - Carl 

Edited by C Carl
Clarification (see edit history)

This is my first post here, but it's a long, long way from my first visit. I've been following this thread (and a few others) since I don't remember when. Fabulous and interesting to learn about an automobile and its miniature recreation all in one spot. Bravo.

As it nears completion, I along with others, I'd bet, are reading each new post with a bittersweet feeling. The desire to have it run on endlessly is battling with the excitement of seeing the finished work. Roger, you are a hero to this aging guy in middle of the Nevada desert. 

Roger,

What Cadillac are you adding to your collection if I may ask?  Is it restored or is it another "project" ?  The three that you have are beautiful and it will be interesting to see what you are adding to your stable of cars.

Randy

November 30, 2016, the new owner from my 1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville loaded that car on his trailer. For about one year, I bought a 1972 Cadillac Coupe de Ville with about 20'000 miles. As I suspected that maintenance could be an issue, I let transport the car to a Cadillac parts supplier who has also a garage. As I told him that it was not urgent, the begin with the  repairs was late 2017. Recently, I had his promise that the car will be ready for the long "drive" to Europe at the end of June.

As you see, I don't intend to work too much on that car... 

Somewhere in this forum I did a port about that buy; I don't remember if I added pictures.

The body of the model is at99% ready for the paint. It has now about 2 weeks to stabilize...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Roger, 

I've been following this thread for a number of years now, first on a different forum, but then I lost the build! Thanks to a posting by Barry Wolk, I managed to find it again, but on this site, and reread from the beginning, and have been following along, eagerly awaiting new posts!

I have to say, I am always amazingly shocked and impressed with your work. Thanks to this post, and after buying one of Wingroves books, I think I'm about ready to try my hand at some brass scratchbuilding. I'm not sure why I've waited this long to sign up to comment, but I feel it was long overdue.

I hope you are doing well, and I can't wait to see the next installment of this incredible build. Thank you so much for documenting this as you have. It's been a huge inspiration.

-Adam