Jump to content

Roger Zimmermann

Members
  • Posts

    2,686
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    19

Roger Zimmermann last won the day on November 16 2019

Roger Zimmermann had the most liked content!

1 Follower

About Roger Zimmermann

  • Birthday 08/20/1945

Recent Profile Visitors

3,500 profile views

Roger Zimmermann's Achievements

10,000+ Points

10,000+ Points (6/7)

  • Reacting Well Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • Very Popular Rare
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare

Recent Badges

3.3k

Reputation

  1. Indeed, I'm not much further with the manifolds. I added a flange for the carburetor to both central parts and did some holes. As I did forget the formula to make parts by looking at the pictures, I had to do something concrete: attach the central manifold on a temporarily basis to go further. This is what I did the last few days; the central RH manifold is not attached to the engine using the holes attaching the block to the crankcase. I also installed a flange to the head. I "just" have to make two tubes joining the flange and the manifold...
  2. After I did tiny parts with the fuel bowl, it was time to go to large parts: the intake and exhaust manifolds. I choose to begin with the exhaust parts; indeed, the intake manifold would be easier to do and would help to locate the exhaust with more precision. I began the job by drilling the threaded holes to attach the manifolds to the heads. Then, as I did not know how to proceed, I did the flanges for the exhaust tubes at the head. With that, I'm not very far...I wanted to begin the front tubes; did something just to realize that I'm going nowhere with that. Therefore, I decided to do the middle part (the picture from a real pair of manifolds will give the needed explanation). As my pictures were not good enough, I searched for exhaust manifolds with Google. I found very nice pictures from a company who is recasting those manifolds! Sure, they cost almost the price of a cheap new car, but they are there! The pictures I found will help a bit, but even if I'm looking at them the whole day, the brass will not be magically shaped...Anyway, here is what I have up to now...
  3. You wrote somewhere that for the 2 and half minutes running time, you used about a gallon of gas (or half). Terry Harper wrote a list of reason why an engine can overheat, among them the two above. That huge quantity of used gasoline is making a lot of heat. Could that be our problem?
  4. Matt, I feel your pain. That story right now is not funny. You are writing that you have difficulties to understand that in such short time the water is getting so hot, me too. I'm wondering if the whole quantity of 7.5 gallons (more than 25 liters!) is getting hot or just what is around the engine blocks? Did you measure the temperature at various spots with an infrared thermometer? I'm wondering if the water pump is really doing his job. A defective thermostat may do the same by not letting the water circulate.
  5. The fuel bowl and its retaining hardware are ready. Man, that is small! Fortunately, the fuel bowl will be protected by the frame, so no fat finger will fiddle with it when the engine is installed.
  6. Thanks Eric! as I used temporarily two screws during the time the glue got cured, this will be a very thin diaphragm!
  7. The provisions for the fuel bowl were added (tiny cylinders soft soldered) and both halves were glued together. Glued? Why? Just because I did an error: I intended at first to attach both halves with .5mm bolts; when I was ready to drill the necessary holes, I switched to 0.6mm because I had tiny screws which heads are more in line with the original screws. Unfortunately, I had only 6 or 7 such screws and during all those years, I never found equivalent screws again. I decided to revert to the first decision, but now the holes are too large. To modify the lower half with silver solder would be hazardous, therefore I will put the 0.5mm bolts as intended, but glued. I attached the pump at its location, well hidden behind the front engine support. The upper part is turned at about 45°, otherwise, the fuel bowl would interfere seriously with the frame. I will do now the fuel bowl in plexiglass. I could machine that part in brass and paint it, but I have a remaining bit of plexiglass I can use for that.
  8. The second half from the pump is ready. I also added the vapor dome to the upper part. As you can see, the upper part got a thin coat of primer; during it's handling, the paint of the edges is gone! To complete the pump, I still have to do the "glass" bowl for the fuel filter. I also have to do the provisions to attach the glass on the first part; there are often small needed details which are easily forgotten.
  9. Thanks Mike! I hope you are well. It's that not too boring the way I'm showing my "work"?
  10. Thanks Randy. As I often wrote, the body is a "maybe". It depends how fit I will be when the frame/engine is completed.
  11. When I restored my cars (Cadillacs from the fifties), I could remove most of the bolts and nuts. Some were badly rusted. To get new ones, good luck in Europe! When I had to go to the USA for GM, I bought a bunch of strange things near Detroit. The good bolts and small pieces were blasted and zinc coated by a local company. I never gave the whole lot, but did several small packages and noted the quantity and dimension of what I gave to be done. Sometimes something is lost; with my method, I knew what I had to search/replace.
  12. The lower part from the pump is ready. Have a look at the previous picture; you will see what I added. There are 14 pieces which are silver soldered together, one after the other. With that syringe for the silver solder paste, no rework is needed to remove the excess solder. This task would be impossible with a soldering rod. Now, I can begin the lower part with the flange attaching the pump to the engine. There will be less tiny parts...
×
×
  • Create New...