Barrett - Jackson 2018 Did I miss anything?

1937hd45

You missed people walking around with waaaay too much disposable income paying outlandish prices for the cars they wished they could have owned in their youth.  Actually the mid week auction was more fun to watch for me anyway, in that it had more affordable cars for us mere peasants.  Always some nice items there but there are few non muscle cars featured.  Too many high priced Porsche and similar cars for my taste on Sat.

Other than that, it wasn't too bad.

• Like 2

The prices were up big time, like most 401k’s this year.  Some typical 60’s-70’s restorations and muscle cars that we always see were steady, but custom trucks and quality resto-mods brought silly money.  $240,000 for a 1967 Nova and $80,000 for a 1967 C-10 for example.  Both nice customs if you are into that sort of thing.  

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Its on, but I just can't find the time to watch it, what did I miss? I did see a blue Corvette and a black one after it on a quick channel check. Were there any classics from the 1930's of just post WWIII stuff? Bob 

They had it all, as always.  Sometime I wonder if any of these cars are rare when I see them at these auctions all the time.  

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Bob,

I don;t think you missed anything, unless you enjoy seeing people pay to much for pretty personalized muscle cars.  I flipped past it and had no interest.

Today we took a "Leafless Tour" with a few other pre WWII cars on the mountaln roads here in the Smoky Mountains.  A rolling Road Show on two lane roads with real cars and car collector/restorers.  A warm spell melted most of last weeks snow and we had the roads to ourselves.  Driving real old cars is much better than a Sunday afternoon watching a car auction.

• Like 3

It just drives me crazy to listen to the expert commentators call some cars "frame off restorations". It's BODY OFF, you take the BODY off the frame!!!! I have done several cars and four that I have removed the body and never once took the frame off first.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Guess it was the same as last year cars & trucks selling for less than the cost of the body & paint work. 

Why would you think it would be different this year ?????  

Barrett Jackson is the same, event after event, year after year.

The car hobby  historically has not been a money maker for the seller ..... but some big bucks were spent at B.J., just the same.

59 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Nothing wrong with people walking around and spending money, that is how the economy works, if they don't buy, the  working class has nothing top do. Bob 

Agreed there is nothing wrong with that,  in fact I hope they are around when I'm selling something too.  I've never been able to have that much disposable income so it numbs the mind to see some of the prices paid for so called tribute cars and other made up combinations.

I attended BJ last year. It was fun. I spent little time at the actual auction area. I loved walking through all the cars. If I recall there were about 1800 that I viewed. Speed lap was fun too. We had a lot of fun. 

A year later, I’m really into about 1928 to 1955 cars. Not enough of those at the BJ auction to keep me interested and watching it on TV. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

It just drives me crazy to listen to the expert commentators call some cars "frame off restorations". It's BODY OFF, you take the BODY off the frame!!!! I have done several cars and four that I have removed the body and never once took the frame off first.

Somewhat off topic but I thought that I was the only on who thinks the term "Frame Off" is ridiculous. I have been around restoration shops for over 70 years and the idea of a frame off makes me think of a car being rolled upside down and then the frame being lifted off. I know about frame up or body off but never frame off. While OT another gem is referring to a VIN (Vehicle Identification NUMBER) as the VIN NUMBER. Well, that takes care of my rants for a while.

• Like 1

I don't care what words people use to describe what they have done.  I care what they have actually done.   People use different words for things all over the country.  English is an odd language to say the least.  Heck, flammable and inflammable mean the same thing.  Hot water heater is a water heater.  ATM's are also "ATM machines".  As long as the point is made (for example you know when they same frame off, they likely mean that the body came off the frame), I don't see any problem with it.   Words.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

I don't care what words people use to describe what they have done.  I care what they have actually done.   People use different words for things all over the country.  English is an odd language to say the least.  Heck, flammable and inflammable mean the same thing.  Hot water heater is a water heater.  ATM's are also "ATM machines".  As long as the point is made (for example you know when they same frame off, they likely mean that the body came off the frame), I don't see any problem with it.   Words.

You may be new to AACA, spelling, punctuation, semantics, are VERY important, the club may have been founded by attorneys. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just saying. :wacko: Bob

I flipped to a Florida Auction and saw a real pretty red Cadillac Conv. that I thought a friend of mine might be interested in, an called him.  He said "I was there yesterday to preview the auction and looked at that car.  When I opened the door an felt the bottom of the door, there  was nothing there, totally rusted away.  One of those cars with nothing more than a nice paint job".

Madé me glad I was not a phone bidder!  That may explain why some cars seem to sell cheap.

No substitute for eyes on buying.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I flipped to a Florida Auction and saw a real pretty red Cadillac Conv. that I thought a friend of mine might be interested in, an called him.  He said "I was there yesterday to preview the auction and looked at that car.  When I opened the door an felt the bottom of the door, there  was nothing there, totally rusted away.  One of those cars with nothing more than a nice paint job".

Madé me glad I was not a phone bidder!  That may explain why some cars seem to sell cheap.

No substitute for eyes on buying.

I had attended the Florida Mecaum Auction a few times and to be honest a vast majority of the non muscle cars were 20 to 40 footers, most of the cars to me were just cruise night specials looking like there done just to blow out for a resale. Maybe I expect too much but most of the cars just were very poorly done, they had the appearance of the typical 70's restoration....... but "the bid goes on" The commentators on Mecum are annoying to the point where the become intolerable. Not that the Barrett jackson guys and girl are much better. I lost track on how many times they were just out and out wrong on their facts. It also seemed that every odd ball muscle car on the block they all had some childhood story of someone they knew while growing up in New England that had the same car. 

The first night of BJ that aired one of the first cars they zoomed in on the staging lanes with the cute blonde girl commentating was a 60 Impala Convertible and she went on to boast how the owner painstakingly detailed restoration of the car as the camera zoomed in on the blasted passenger side front fender whisker moulding which is a reproduced part that is a phone call and credit card number away.  

It is safe to say you really did not miss much at all, itis pretty much the same thing as it was last year. Oh yeah, Mustangs and "restomod" Camaros are the hot thing. There was a beautiful 1961 Corvette in a really rare medium blue color, seldom seen on Corvettes that went off on Saturday night after all of the pomp and circumstance  for 110K and the commentator makes a bone head statement, along the lines that "there is money in restored cars just as well as the modifieds"  Please...... is a hobby or a place to invest money? 

Remember, when the say you are the winning bidder it is just another way of saying you spent more than anyone else wanted too    PLUS 10% 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Auctions, dealers, manufactures, builders, restorers, vendors, parts pickers, car flippers and old guys with a story about everything. Are all part of the hobby/industry/trade. I have been to the auction in Hershey, I have seen the classics dump out all of their coolant, bodies buckling because the floor supports are gone, doors you have to pull up on in order to close them. Lots of good cars out there for sale by auction companies/dealers/owners. Lots of bad cars out there for sale by auction companies/dealers/owners. BJ did 116.7 million in sales. That does not include all of the vendors/food/hotels/marketing/advertising/broadcasting/merchandise/taxes/donations and so on. Everyone should be proud that the hobby/industry/trade is so strong. The money that all of this car stuff pulls in every year is incredible. PA and AZ are lucky to have events like BJ and Hershey. All of it, no matter if it is the restoration side. Or the custom/street rod side. Help drive the industry.     

• Like 1

Well said XW. Don’t forget the 118 million does not include the entrance fees for people just coming to watch or the registration fees for bidders. 

BJ and Mecum or Hershey should be something any car guy/gal should attend at least once. You see some nice cars and can meet some good people too. 

Have fun. 

Dave S 

On 1/22/2018 at 9:24 AM, A. Ballard 35R said:

the idea of a frame off makes me think of a car being rolled upside down and then the frame being lifted off.

That ain't the way WE did it!

001.thumb.JPG.76a28acd55acb1f83958de4deda773a7.JPG

I have been at the february Atlantic City Auction quite a few times, may I will take a run down there in a couple of weeks. or me, it is just far enough south to escape some of the gray suicide weather. Although it does conflict with our wedding anniversary on Valetine's Day.

There is a wide selection of second rate cars at that one. I have had the idea that a few large collection/dealers unload some dead stock to keep cash flow up during the slow season. There is always one "should have bought" deal there on the cool bidding days.

It is about a 5 hour drive one way for me but I know some alternate routes that can take lots longer.

The frame off comment always reminds me of a movie that starts out in a junkyard chop shop. The hero bad guy walks through the shop where a RR Silver Shadow is on a lift and torch sparks are flying around. Then a chassis drops to the floor; engine, transmission, frame rails, and rear end. all in one piece. Hollywood. And that reserved area for the wealthy bidders, they pan that group and something about them looks a bit affected. If any of them invited me to their house I sure wouldn't drink the water.

Bernie