I need help

timo1

Hello, my name is Tim and I'll get straight to the point. Everytime I come home from school I pass by this car that grabs my attention everytime. All I saw on the car was Ford, but since that day I could not find the model at all. I need the people's help. If anyone knows the model pleaseet me know. Thanks.

IMG_20170214_143458.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, timo1 said:

I really don't know, I just stumbled upon it one day and I loved it at first sight, thanks by the way.

If you see the owner someday you should ask about it. He/she may be willing to sell it, you never know...

If anything just talking to the owner about it will be good for both of you...

Has to be '73 or later due to the extended bumpers which really ruined any design qualities any car might have had. We had a '70 coupe, while not a bad looking car was one of the least roadworthy units my family ever owned. That car would be a neat little "grocery getter" but is not really a collectable in my opinion, but that's just my opinion. It the four door thing.

Good eye Tim!  In a world of look alike cars these oldies sure stick out.  While they may not be highly regarded by some, they do represent the quest by US automakers to build smaller, more fuel efficient autos.  Glad to see you noticed it!

Terry

If you wanted to get into the old car hobby a Maverick might be a good place to start. They are simple, reliable, economical, and most parts are still available.

Did you notice if it has current plates? Does it seem to be in regular use?

Here is a technique I use if I am interested in a car like that. Go to the house when you think the family will be home, early in the evening (after work) or even better, saturday morning about 10 o'clock.

Knock on the door, if someone answers say "Hi I notice you have a car you are not using, I wonder if you might like to sell it?" then be quiet and wait for an answer.

Most times the answer is no, sometimes yes. Once I got "I don't know, it's my dad's car, I know mom has been after him to get rid of it". When I heard that I knew I would get the car no matter what I offered lol.

I have been able to buy many old cars by leaving a note on the windshield with my name and #.

I left a note on a car 5 years ago and was recently contacted - they wanted to sell it.

Maybe they won't sell it now but maybe later they change their mind

Joe

A Ford Maverick has a lot of potential to

interest the public at a car show.  While long-time

collectors may be looking for expensive cars, a lot of

onlookers may come up to look at a Maverick, since they

may have known one many years ago.

There was a circa-1976 Chevrolet Chevette at

Hershey a few years ago, with wood-grain sides even,

and I looked at that car more than at the "glamorous" ones.

Noted restorer Al Prueitt of Pennsylvania had

a Maverick for sale several years ago, and one of our

local AACA members promptly bought it because

it brought back old memories.

I like the color of that Maverick, Tim.

It stands out today because it's a color that

probably no new car offers.  And cars like that 

should be VERY reasonably priced.

As I always say, EVERY car has a place in history!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TerryB said:

Good eye Tim!  In a world of look alike cars these oldies sure stick out.  While they may not be highly regarded by some...

Terry

This is exactly how I became enamored with old cars back in the 70s. I fell in love with a 56 Olds 88 because it didn't look at all like what the other guys were driving. All the talk about attracting youth to the hobby sure is illustrated by the encouragement shown here! Go Tim! If this one isn't available, you can test the waters of research by following the threads provided above or picking up a copy of Hemmings Magazine and seeing what's out there. Window shopping is a great way to pass some time and learn a thing or two. (My wife and I had a well-used Maverick when we were married and it served us well.)

• Like 2

My wife and I had a 1972 Maverick in this same deluxe trim style. My grandparents bought it brand new, and passed it to us when they bought a newer model. It served us very well for many years. You can easily find one of these, Timo, if you want one. Good for you! I would advise that you should seek one from the southwestern USA, if you have a choice. They tended to rust pretty badly here in the midwest, where I live, and no one is making any reproduction body panels for Mavericks, as far as I know...especially not for 4-doors. So find a really good example, take care of it, and enjoy it for a lifetime. 

Welcome to the old car hobby! 

There are so many cars that have, more or less, just disappeared. Daily transportation cars, like this one, that were not bad cars, but were used as daily transportation and then disposed of. Take a good example of one of these to most cruise nights and be surprised at the response. Cars like this are a breath of fresh air for those of us who like to see something different.

• Like 1

In 1970 I was looking for a new car . I went info Midway Ford on University ave in St Paul.  There was a very attractive Maverick coupe with a six on the show room floor.   I almost put money down on it, but then thought I would go across the street and check out a Plymouth Duster  it had a 340 in it. The Duster wasn't quite as good looking in my mind at the time, but woooooh a lot more fun.  I bought the Duster !

Edited by Curti (see edit history)

On 2/19/2017 at 8:51 AM, jpage said:

...not really a collectable in my opinion, but that's just my opinion. It the four door thing.

For the Maverick, I think the 4-door car has

better lines than the 2-door.  I was in Tim's position

when I started in the hobby:  I bought my first

antique car the month after graduation.

I hope Tim sees all the encouraging remarks here

on this topic, since Ford Mavericks and similar

Mercury Comets are so little seen today.  I hope he

finds and preserves one when the time is right for him.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

A buddy had a maverick (gabber)  302 with a 4 sp. we did a little work to it set it up like most of the street cars we run in the late 70's,

to my surprise it ran as good as my 67 Camaro 350 4sp.  The only trouble with the car was we could not keep the clutch linkage from bending. Did run good and was a blast to drive.

Tim,

Welcome to the AACA Forums.  And thanks for your natural attraction to a car that are older than you are.  You are the future of our hobby, we hope you will continue that interest.  While that car may be a new car to a lot of our Forum participants, it over 40 years old and could still be a useful and fun car to own, show and enjoy as an entry into our hobby.  Keep us posted.

• Like 3