Bermuda Bell

Guest thomaskenney

Guest thomaskenney

does anyone know what i'm talking about? bermuda bells were made out of brass and had a foot activated plunger. the bell made a loud "ding-dong" sound.

i've seen them on old cars in parades. people would sound the bell instead of the horn.

i found them listed on this web site:

http://www.lonewolfwhistle.com/ding-dong-bell.html

i grew up in west philadelphia and the bermuda bells were popular there in the 50's and 60's. now i live in the baltimore area, and no one has ever heard of the bermuda bells!

cheers, tom

I have heard of them. When I was young my fathers friend had one and use to ding dong it once stopped at the traffic lights. He use to get a kick out of ringing it when the police were directing traffic. I don't know if this is true but he use to state that they were illegal to have at that time?

The last one I had, I sold at a swap meet, about 4 years ago. This was an original one and sounded great. Every once and while one will pop up. These were all over in the 50's, especially at the drive inn's when 4-5 cars would start dinging away.

Jim SChilf

palbuick

• 7 years later...
Guest douglas mitchell

I too, am looking for a bermuda bell. had one in the early '70s on my 46 willys cj 2. now want one for my 53 cj3a that i am restoring. where to find? seems to be plenty of interest so why doesn't someone manufacture?

douglas mitchell,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I assume you found this discussion through a search engine. This particular discussion is over 7 years old. Hopefully someone will see your post and be able to offer you some help in locating one.

Guest johnhorace

Some of my friends had them on their cars in the Fifties in Newark, NJ. I remember them being chrome plated, don't know if they were brass. Looked like the one I saw on the link mentioned above.

I have seen and heard them in Depot Hacks and early station wagons. They were used to alert customers of hotels etc. that their ride was coming from or going to the depot at the train station. I have an early cast one and plan on using it my my '48 Packard Woody.

Guest cben09

Best description of pedal is a big nail,,,not sure if they are all the same

Poke in a round whatever in and see what happens,,,Cheers,,Ben

My '34 Terraplane has had a bermuda bell in the center right of the floor board just ahead of the front seat for many decades but I couldn't tell you what year it was installed except to say "probably early" years. Obvious in this pic with the floor mat out. Its FUN and to my mind a heckuva lot less offensive to bystanders than 150 decibel electronic music systems people have on their cars playing stanzas of songs!

post-57494-143138960815_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

If you get ahold of any car magazines from the fifties you will see them in the ads. Motor Trend, Sports Car Graphic etc. used to carry full page ads from accessory companies, they used to sell them. This is where the fad took off, some manufacturer revived a bell from the early days. I suppose auto parts stores carried them too.

I sold an aluminum bell in good condition at the 2011 <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->Chickasha swap meet for $125.00. It sold in about 90 minutes the first day. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->A couple of people came back later and inquired if it had been sold. The price was fine with me and I will always wonder if I could have gotten more. I had purchased it about 5 years ago in eBay. Later I found a working 6 volt electric bell allowing installation any were on the car.

• 2 years later...
Guest Hlinkjr

In 1952 an Air Force officer was dating a young woman in our neighborhood. He had a light yellow MG TD which he bought in Bermuda while he was stationed there. Cars were not allowed on the island until 1948. Previously only horse drawn vehicles were used. All had Bermuda Bells so it followed cars should have them also. The roads are narrow, curvey, and hilly. It was very important to warn other drivers at a blind curve. Also in those days the noise levels in the background were almost nonexistent so it was easy for the bell to be heard.

Edited by Hlinkjr (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

I bought one off this site two years ago still in its original box and unused. I paid what he was asking, $65 dollars ! Wayne

AlCapone,

If you are willing to part with the Bermuda bell,

please PM or email or phone me.

I would like one for the 1915 Hudson, and maybe for the '54 Caddy (from my 'teen years in the '50s)

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

AlCapone,

If you are willing to part with the Burmuda bell,

please PM or email or phone me

I will give it some thought but I never sell, I only trade! Wayne

I will give it some thought but I never sell, I only trade! Wayne

OK,

PM or Email me and let's see what we might want to trade