1927 Lasalle roadster, not mine.

A running driving Franklin convertible coupe in beautiful condition sold at RM Auctions at Fall Hershey last year for $30k, so the seller has to rethink the price!

• Like 2

If the seller could even get the body type correct - it is a convertible coupe not a roadster. But many collectors , even fairly savvy ones call any open 2 door body style a roadster.

Same goes for phaetons and touring cars - they are referred to as convertibles - convertibles have glass windows in the doors that can roll up and down; phaetons, touring cars and roadsters have snap on curtains. Takes a lot longer to get weather proof if you have to deal with side curtains, rods to mount them to and then snap them to the top and doors etc.

If it is a 7 passenger touring car it takes even longer to get it all in place- ask me how I know- I have had practice doing so on my car and friends cars over the past 60 years ( yes I started in the hobby in 1964). that photo that is with my user name is a 7 passenger and sits about 20 feet away from where I am typing this.

• Like 8

Just a noted issue, being from the humid south, it concerns me that the spark plugs are out, likely have been out for some time so there exists a high probability that a full on rebuild will be needed on a potential stuck engine. I am guessing that this car is an inheritance that is hoping to find it's way to the lofty market of 20 years ago. More pictures, history and well written description might help to sell, (and some time evaluating current market sales).

Al

• Like 3

If he had a 30k offer he should have jumped on it. I can see his reasoning 'well, if someone offered 30k it must be worth 50k so I will hold out for 40k'  Meanwhile the guy that made the offer will have a second thought and decide to move on to something more reasonable and the car continues to sit and rot away.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Whenever I am with a seller in person and they whip out the “I have already been offered $xxxxx” I know that all negotiations have ended, further discussion is futile.  

I close with the comment “Well that’s a case where two fools met, one who made the offer and one who refused the offer”.  

Then I walk away…….

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

If he had a 30k offer he should have jumped on it. I can see his reasoning 'well, if someone offered 30k it must be worth 50k so I will hold out for 40k'  Meanwhile the guy that made the offer will have a second thought and decide to move on to something more reasonable and the car continues to sit and rot away.

Or the 30K is what his old Aunt told him someone offered his uncle for this car a few years ago (which as actually 1989). 

• Like 3

Here is reality, at least for me. I have an affinity/soft spot for the LaSalle marque and have been hunting for a 1927 LaSalle, but not necessarily a Conv. Coupe. Because of my interest, I will reach out to the "inheritor" seller of this LaSalle and see if a much clearer picture of this car and sell price can be had. If this turns into a potential purchase for me, good, if not I will share additional observations here.

Al

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

1927 is the first year for LaSalle, and for a major league Cadillac collector it might be worth the price.  If it is a 27 and not a 28.  Not too much difference between $430k and $410k three years from now and you get to choose a Harley Earl color scheme on the car that made him. 

This car is crying out to be rescued.  Great car finished. Zippy. I would own it for $10K, $7K (?)  Where are the missing parts? Have the sills gone bad? There's a lot of great cars coming to market. They do not know that the world has changed. Your $30K will go a long way in this market. 

Also, I can't deal with the uniformed.  I don't have to deal with them and no longer do I have the patience. Much easier, cheaper, and better to deal with a true car person, even a good dealer.

• Like 2

The Georgia car could not be brought up to the condition of the NL 1928 for the 12K price difference. Buy the NL car and ship it back to the US and you will be dollars ahead. I know of a VERY nice 1930 Packard sedan that is in the 30k range before negotiation. I have not heard back from the inheritor of the Georgia LaSalle.........

Al

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alsfarms said:

The Georgia car could not be brought up to the condition of the NL 1928 for the 12K price difference. Buy the NL car and ship it back to the US and you will be dollars ahead. I know of a VERY nice 1930 Packard sedan that is in the 30k range before negotiation. I have not heard back from the inheritor of the Georgia LaSalle.........

Al

Al,

That was my opinion as well; thought I would let someone else draw the conclusion.

Kent

If you purchased the other car. You would miss out on all of the joy and growth you would do as a person. And only through that joy and growth, can you truly enjoy and experience what the old car hobby has to offer. In regards to the lessons it can teach, as you reflect on your purchase.🤔

• Haha 1

It’s not even a parts car……..and the LaSalle market? It’s far from on fire. As a matter of fact, I would describe  the market as hot as liquid nitrogen. Or maybe absolute zero would be more accurate. Drive the world’s best 27 LaSalle………and you will realize AT (alternate transportation) is a decent option. If one is not familiar with the depression era term, alternate transportation is also know as walking. Underpowered, poor chassis design, steers and stops like…….well, you get the idea. While some of the early LaSalles certainly had decent lines………demand and prices are the true reflection of their performance envelope.

• Like 2