I wonder if there is such a thing as a "sour spot" for collector cars

I wonder if there is such a thing as a "sour spot" for collector cars. There's always a sweet spot - the right vintage car at the right time marketed to the right people at the right price.

But, take for example the 1953 Olds 98 just posted in the "Not Mine" forum section. It is in a position with many other 70 year old 1950's era cars. The original owners and keepers are gone. Those of us that rode in them as kids or owned them in high school are now more often sellers than buyers, if not inactive collectors, and the style, speed, size, age, etc. of these cars has not yet  aroused the interest of subsequent generations. As we see stronger market interest in later model cars, the 50's group generally seem to languish as noted by their extended time on the market and slowly reduced asking prices. With all the related costs of owning a period Olds/Buick/Cad/Chrysler/Lincoln much less finding parts and a competent mechanic, if you need one, I see these cars fitting more and more into a museum display or somebody's barn to be found then rediscovered and appreciated by some future generation.

• Like 1

20-30's give you a bit of a preview of what's to come for that market, stuff that's high end or unique will always sell for a decent price but anything else struggles

• Like 5

Mid-to-late 1970's cars will be the vintage car 'sour spot'.  Even 45-50 years later, one doesn't see collectors in a rush to snap up downsized '77 Chevys, for example.

Craig

• Thanks 1

Certain cars go in and out of style. One that was "hot" when it was less than 10 years old was the original 1938 - 48 Lincoln Continental. They have been going in and out of style ever since, the latest word seems to be they are not worth spending money on unless near perfect. I don't follow the market close enough to name any others. O ya, the "Jack Benny Maxwell" was a very popular antique in the fifties, along with the Model T Ford, you still see plenty of Fords but the Maxwells seem to have gotten lost.

• Like 3

Pretty much any mid-priced through luxury make four door sedan from 1946-mid-'50's is mostly dormant market regardless of maker.  Only 'hot spots' are unique body styles such as 3-window coupes, some club coupes, hardtops, convertibles and station wagons.  The flipside is if one appreciates those cars for their intrinsic qualities, they are a potential high value proposition for enjoyment with only a modest outlay. 

• Like 6

Yes, almost all project cars of all varieties. Also, most of the middle-class cars. There are always bottom feeders, and there are always guys looking for the best of something. But stuff in the middle can be hard sell.

• Like 6

Or a sweet spot if one has a midrange budget as more interesting stuff gets more affordable.  Gullwing has two cars that caught my eye recently- a 39 Ford woodie wagon and 41 Packard 120 convertible at $34k, price on the woody escapes me but it was very reasonable.  Both older restorations coming out of storage.

I agree with AJ's comments but differentiate cars like that, together and solid maybe running but in need of the things one needs to do to return the car to the road vs. A disassembled project in boxes.  I think those or older restorations ready to enjoy are a sweet spot for someone looking at midrange stuff.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Or a sweet spot if one has a midrange budget as more interesting stuff gets more affordable.  Gullwing has two cars that caught my eye recently- a 39 Ford woodie wagon and 41 Packard 120 convertible at $34k, price on the woody escapes me but it was very reasonable.  Both older restorations coming out of storage.

That's the way I look at it, meant I could afford an interesting early 20's car

The biggest problem with it is people still price parts insanely expensive, somehow storing something in a shed for 40 years means you should make a 5000% profit 

• Like 3

Interesting topic.  I think there are lots of "sour spots".  When you consider the number of cars produced over time and the number collected (or want to be collected), I would submit that most are "sour spot" cars.  Most were simply transportation and never "got any love".  Yes ,we all like our "mongrels" but in general most would not be considered collectable except for the fact that the "desirable" cars have already been taken (e.g. the price is now too high).

Just my $0.02

Robert

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Pretty much any mid-priced through luxury make four door sedan from 1946-mid-'50's is mostly dormant market regardless of maker.  Only 'hot spots' are unique body styles such as 3-window coupes, some club coupes, hardtops, convertibles and station wagons.  The flipside is if one appreciates those cars for their intrinsic qualities, they are a potential high value proposition for enjoyment with only a modest outlay. 

That's where I am!  I like my car for its intrinsic qualities.  I overspend on it, and treat it like its Pebble Beach material, but I enjoy the hell out of it!  Even so, it is very affordable for a retiree on a fixed income.  👍

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2024 at 5:05 PM, 8E45E said:

Mid-to-late 1970's cars will be the vintage car 'sour spot'.  Even 45-50 years later, one doesn't see collectors in a rush to snap up downsized '77 Chevys, for example.

Craig

really? The novas are pushing higher and higher from that time along with caprices…

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zimm63 said:

You spelled "Crap" wrong.  

A model A could be considered ‘crap’ a tri 5 Chevy as well. Both were relative economy cars. 

Classic car collecting is moving forward 

2 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

You spelled "Crap" wrong.  

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'll tell my young neighbor who just bought his first collectible car. He'll feel good about what you said.

3 hours ago, MarkV said:

A model A could be considered ‘crap’ a tri 5 Chevy as well. Both were relative economy cars. 

Classic car collecting is moving forward 

Every car ever made was probably called crap by someone at some point in time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkV said:

really? The novas are pushing higher and higher from that time along with caprices…

Yes, really!  

Mid-to-late seventies Novas and Caprices will never attain the value of a 1960's, or early 1970's example.   And the 1994-'96 Impala SS' are gaining fast despite their 'young' age.

Craig

5 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Yes, really!  

Mid-to-late seventies Novas and Caprices will never attain the value of a 1960's, or early 1970's example.   And the 1994-'96 Impala SS' are gaining fast despite their 'young' age.

Craig

Yes I know, but who knows!

I love how you fellow geezers always state as a fact that late 70's cars will never be "collectible". Same as most of the long dead geezers said "50's Chevy's will never be valuable. Or early Mustangs are disposable junk.

• Like 2

I have a '79 Chevy. I enjoy owning and driving it.  I don't care what anyone thinks about the collectibility of 1970s cars, I've already collected it. 😄

I think the "sour spot" these days is anything that needs restoration. Unless it's a Mustang, Charger, '57 Chevy, '32 Ford, some brass era classic or a capital-c Classic, etc. Cars that have always had a following will continue being restored. Anything that's a bit more obscure, not so much as before, what with today's costs and loss of once-common skills and resources. Yes, of course there are exceptions, but most of them are right here on this forum, which is not really indicative of the world at large.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I love how you fellow geezers always state as a fact that late 70's cars will never be "collectible". Same as most of the long dead geezers said "50's Chevy's will never be valuable. Or early Mustangs are disposable junk.

Funny thing is these guys were collecting mustangs and 57 chevies when they were under 30 years old. The newest 1970s car is now 45 years old!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I can guarantee that if you park two '76 Vettes beside each other the Chevette will get just as much attention as the Corvette and more people will be saying "did you see that Chevette..."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

What is funny is you have a much better shot of seeing a younger person (say under 35) in a Model T than a Chevelle SS.   And you will never see a guy under 50 in a late model Camaro or Corvette.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, alsancle said:

What is funny is you have a much better shot of seeing a younger person (say under 35) in a Model T than a Chevelle SS.   And you will never see a guy under 50 in a late model Camaro or Corvette.

True enough. They can't afford or can't justify the price of a Vette or Camaro.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

I can guarantee that if you park two '76 Vettes beside each other the Chevette will get just as much attention as the Corvette and more people will be saying "did you see that Chevette..."

And end the sentence with "....my grandma owned one."

Craig

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You're right!

I'm seeing them driving BMW M3's, Mercedes Benz AMG's, Lexus RC-F's.

Craig

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No different than other collectibles.  Dad switched gun clubs back in the day when his club was overtaken by Vietnam era collectors.  Interesting to some but not so much the group who sees single action Colt Army revolvers as a later collectible.   

Markets determine sweet and sour spots and collectors determine what appeals to them. 

Certain eras 20s, early postwar, maybe malaise era cars in general lag brass muscle era etc. In the marketplace.  As long as one understands the market potential of whatever they may have interest in they can then make a more informed decision about how far to go financially. 

• Like 3

Not everybody is well healed enough to spend over a hundred grand to restore a car that will only be worth 25 grand when it's done. Lots of young guys and girls that are interested in the hobby are just anxious to get into something that's an antique that they can afford. There is no sour spot! 

• Like 3

On 5/29/2024 at 7:49 PM, Ed Luddy said:

I had a 1957 Motor Trend magazine with a regular antique auto column. One reader asked the expert what 1957 cars would be the antiques or classics of the future. The answer "none of them". They are all mass produced, run of the mill transportation with no collector value. Besides, the way they are made, will be impossible to restore, unlike the real antiques that can be taken apart and rebuilt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1