DVS Auto Transport (Legit?)

I’m wondering if anyone here has heard of DVS Auto Transport Co in Spokane 
, WA? They are supposed to be a dealer in classic cars and a transport company. I haven’t been able to reach them by phone and am wondering if it’s a reputable company or a scam. 
 And info would be greatly appreciated.

Wayne

4 minutes ago, yachtflame said:

I haven’t been able to reach them by phone and am wondering if it’s a reputable company or a scam. 

That would be the first and second red flag to me and maybe the third & out.  I personally do not trust companies that do not answer the phone let alone returning calls.  If they are doing that before they get the business, what will they do after they have your business.

I personally have a small business and answer calls ad just about any time, anywhere except in the middle of the night unless the call is coming from the police or fire dept.   Just the way I do business.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, yachtflame said:

Well, I am in Vietnam at the moment with a 14 hr time difference. It’s a bit hard to call them in their mid day when I’ll be waking my wife up in the middle of the night.

I’m in Spokane and happy to investigate. I’ll snoop around tomorrow.

• Like 2

DVS appears to be an international logistics company serving a select group of auto manufacturers world wide.  Is the company you are looking at/for?

https://www.dsv.com/en-us/our-solutions/industry-solutions/automotive-logistics

Their "home" website:  https://www.dsv.com/en-us/

There is also another Spokane listing for DVS Trans LLC which appears to be a small, local outfit: 

https://www.carriersource.io/carriers/dvs-trans-llc

Maybe this is the one you are wanting to contact. I'd read through the information provided. No customer reviews yet.

• Like 2

This is the link I was given by a seller.

https://dvsautotrans.com/
3808 N Sullivan Rd Spokane, WA 99216

They have a lot of written information with lots of rules and requirements. They did call me back at 6:25 pm their time last night (or 8:25 this morning at my current location time). Unfortunately, the call dropped and they tried to call back twice but it kept dropping the call. 
 I’m just wondering if anyone knows of them.

1 hour ago, yachtflame said:

The link you were given (above) will not come up. The address is in a strip of offices on a main road, no sign visible on google. No phone # listed.

The only web reference, as I said above, is https://www.carriersource.io/carriers/dvs-trans-llc

It's a one-truck operation with reported safety violations.    Good Luck.

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)

Crusty,

I don’t know why you’ve had a problem connecting to the link I posted. I just tried the link that I posted and then tried the one that you copied and both went to the company’s web site with all of their information. I’ll try Google maps next to see what the address looks like.

DGPoff,

Anything you are able to do would be a great help. I’ve emailed extensively with the cars owner and he says he works on an oil rig offshore so he gave the car to this company to handle its sale. Reading the info on their web site has good and bad aspects. One of their personnel did call me and had more info but as I’m touresting in Vietnam, calls drop constantly plus add in a 13 hour time difference and things get complicated!

If you’re able to see or even talk to any of their staff, I’d like to hear your take on this.

Thanks in advance for any help. I’d gladly pay you for your time. 

wayne

Anyone else see some additional red flags here?  Owner not available because he works on an offshore oil rig. Isn’t that a classic scam ploy?  Using some intermediate obscure logistics/shipping company with various websites and an equally obscure address/location. No info given about photos of the car or whether it is available for inspection. Hopefully, DGPoff will be able to verify whether this is real or a scam

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Yachtflame, there has got to be another car somewhere that will not require you to loose your shirt with nothing in return but a bad  taste in your mouth from being scammed! This whole deal reaks of a surefire way to part with your money in a hurry. Turn off the phone, enjoy your trip and look for a car personally when you get home.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I’ve emailed extensively with the cars owner and he says he works on an oil rig offshore...

SCAM!

Now there is absolutely no doubt.  The seller is a criminal.

"An offshore oil rig" is a ploy used before.  No one can

come see the car, because there is no such car for sale!

Don't pursue the car any farther.  The seller needs to go

to jail, and justice will eventually put him there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The "DVS" company is following another part of a

typical scam playbook:  Once they deliver the car, they

will refund your money if you don't like the car.

From their website:  " In case You are not satisfied with the vehicle delivered and inform DVS Auto Trans LLC within 7 days of delivery, DVS Auto Trans LLC will resolve Your complaint end-to-end within 72 hours from the time the complaint is raised. If DVS Auto Trans LLC is not able to give a resolution within 72 hours then we will automatically refund the amount paid for the vehicle."

We know what to look for, so we are alert to these false claims.

If a customer isn't satisfied, and has the car shipped back to

the "seller," the seller would end up paying transportation 

at least 3 times!  Once to the first buyer;  then back;  then to

the second buyer.

And the website has some broken English--yet another sign.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, yachtflame said:

Well, I am in Vietnam at the moment with a 14 hr time difference. It’s a bit hard to call them in their mid day when I’ll be waking my wife up in the middle of the night.

I was on vacation in Thailand in January and taking calls for the store and work.  Not many, but a customer is the cash flow to solvency and you want to be helpful. 

Except for about 4% which you will never make happy.  How do I get that number? On an average,  80% of customers are usually happy and 20% want to complain.  Of the 20% if you give them some attention, 80% of them will be OK.  It is the 20% of the 20% or 4% of the total population that will never be happy.  In fact I would say that their objective in life is to miserable and make everyone they come into contact miserable.  Just my observations from extensive customer contact experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

DVS appears to be an international logistics company serving a select group of auto manufacturers world wide.  Is the company you are looking at/for?

https://www.dsv.com/en-us/our-solutions/industry-solutions/automotive-logistics

Their "home" website:  https://www.dsv.com/en-us/

There is also another Spokane listing for DVS Trans LLC which appears to be a small, local outfit: 

https://www.carriersource.io/carriers/dvs-trans-llc

Maybe this is the one you are wanting to contact. I'd read through the information provided. No customer reviews yet.

The first link you posted is DSV not DVS. 

Edited by John E. Guitar (see edit history)

3 hours ago, yachtflame said:

DGPoff,

Anything you are able to do would be a great help. I’ve emailed extensively with the cars owner and he says he works on an oil rig offshore so he gave the car to this company to handle its sale. Reading the info on their web site has good and bad aspects. One of their personnel did call me and had more info but as I’m touresting in Vietnam, calls drop constantly plus add in a 13 hour time difference and things get complicated!

If you’re able to see or even talk to any of their staff, I’d like to hear your take on this.

Thanks in advance for any help. I’d gladly pay you for your time. 

wayne

This is the classic sign of a social engineering scam.

First, they have the exact item you want or need in mint condition often complete with stolen pictures (if they can't give you pictures they will give some story that it is with the shipper or in a storage unit they can't get to. If they gave you pictures you can google search the web and more often or not google will find a match elsewhere which indicates someone has lifted that pix.

Second, they give a hard luck reason , like offshore oil rig, they are on duty out of the states, family member passed and they are handling it long distance and many other creative excuses as to why you can't go and look and buy physically where the item is. They try to gain your trust and tug at your heart strings with sob stories.

Third, the scammers typically will give a lame reason for handling the transaction money such as third party escrow and newer electronic payments like Venmo, Friends and Family, Bitcoin and any other non refundable, no traceable forms of money transfer. Once they have your payment in a non refundable non traceable format, you no longer have any power to reverse the transaction or get your money back.

Fourth, one huge red flag is their "guarantee" that you have x amount of days to look over your purchase after it has been delivered and you can "return" the item if you are not satisfied at no cost!  Yep, absolutely no one in their right mind will ever offer that! It is a used item, not something from Home Shopping Channel.

When I buy or sell used items I consider ALL of those transactions "AS IS" with no warranty, no guarantee, no refunds.

As EBay used to say Caveat Emptor (Buyer Be AWARE)

Do yourself a favor and run (don't just walk) from this deal.

• Like 3

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to DVS Auto Transport (Legit?)

I thank you all for your input. I was actually asking if anyone here has had any dealings with this company but so far it appears no one has.  The company has contacted me and are making the vehicle available for my inspection when I return to the states. 
 It would still be nice if DGPoff were able to go and get a feel for the outfit. I can’t imagine it being a totally bogus company if they are willing to schedule an on site inspection from me.

Again, thank you all for your input.

Wayne

I responded to an ad for a truck for sale. Everything seemed up and up and they even offered to deliver it to my house free of charge, if I did not like it they would take it away, no obligation. Digging in a bit deeper I found it was a complete scam. When I called them out the ad disappeared then turned up on another CL ad 2 states away. The ad I responded to had all of the above catch phrases. There are lots of crooks out there and there are also legit businesses. Thats what makes it even more difficult for the good guys. Good Luck.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, yachtflame said:

I can’t imagine it being a totally bogus company if they are willing to schedule an on site inspection from me.

Wayne

Wayne, I still think you are being scammed.

They must claim to have just what you're seeking

at such a good price!  Don't let your desires get the

best of your good judgment.

Off-shore oil platforms must have a way to contact

the land.  Do we think the men are put there with no

way to communicate with the company on land?

How could a company do business with no communication

with their workers?  DEMAND to talk to the supposed

"car owner."

Also, ask the "shipping company" for very specific pictures,

such as holding a car magazine across the steering wheel,

or someone's left hand touching the hood ornament.

Or is the car already "in a crate" for delivery, or otherwise

unavailable with some other excuse?

Are they stringing you along so you'll at least give a deposit?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Does this help? Saw this with a quick Google search. 

Scammer's phone (509) 505-0777
Scammer's website dvsautotrans.com
Scammer's address 3808 N Sullivan Rd, City of Spokane Valley, WA 99216, USA
Scammer's email support@dvsauto.com
Country United States
Victim Location AK 99502, USA
Type of a scam Online Purchase

Saw ad on TROVIT for a car. Owner of car was David Bryant. Agreed to the price and he directed me to go to DVS Auto Trans. to fill out the information to finish the transaction. Could never get any contact with them. Later I saw the same car on another site, eAriasconsign traders with the price of $9800. They said the car was in a warehouse in Philadelphia. Again they said send the money, we will send the car and you have 10 days to return if you're not satisfied.

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:34 AM, yachtflame said:

I’ve emailed extensively with the cars owner and he says he works on an oil rig offshore so he gave the car to this company to handle its sale.

That ploy has been so overused in scams in recent years that it has become a meme, and most of the scammers have to abandon it for fear of getting laughed at. Run, don't walk. Don't look back.

This is 100% scam. In fact, it's one of the most common ones. The whole "oil rig" part and the "shipping is free and if you don't like it, we'll ship it back and give you your money back" should have told you that. It's 100% BS.

What these guys do is set up an internet storefront using the address of a plausible business, maybe one that closed. You think maybe Google is just out of date or something. They will often set up a website, maybe several--one for the shipping company, one for the "escrow" outfit--and then set the bait. It's always a deal just a little too good to resist with a plausible story about why the reasonable price (dad just died, widow wants it gone, divorce, whatever). Then when you're hooked, they give you the song and dance about how it's already in the crate or shipping is already finalized and they can't break the contract, or perhaps the car is at a different (and inaccessible) location while the seller isn't available because they're on an oil rig or they are deployed in the military. But don't worry about that, just send us a deposit and if you're nervous, here's an escrow service you can use. Just create an account and give them your E-mail and a password (which they're counting on being the same as the one you use everywhere else). There is no car, they're just harvesting passwords and collecting deposits on vaporware.

This isn't real. Period. It's one of the oldest scams in the book. Don't fall for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thank you all for your input. I was actually asking if anyone here has had any dealings with this company but so far it appears no one has.  The company has contacted me and are making the vehicle available for my inspection when I return to the states. 
 It would still be nice if DGPoff were able to go and get a feel for the outfit. I can’t imagine it being a totally bogus company if they are willing to schedule an on site inspection from me.

Wayne

Your name and contact info in reality is readily available to scammers, it is possible a data breach revealed your interest in cars. Lots of data every day is scraped and used by scammers. Some how, someone determined that you have some interest in an antique vehicle of some desirability to you.

These guys ARE good at fakery, generally anyone being cold called like a salesman trying you sell things should be considered highly suspicious at the least. They are going to try to get more info from you to steal your identity or get bank account, credit card numbers or try to get you to give them money or your personal information in some fashion.

They build your hopes and trust, but it is a front.

This is why it is called Social Engineering.

Big warning flags here is you are not able to find out where the car is so you can see it, you are not dealing directly with the actual owner, only the shipping company and even that smells of a scam (shippers simply do not randomly contact people to sell them items).

I don't know if this is proper to post text from other websites so if not, mods can remove it, but here is a typical definition of Social Engineering scams and how it typically works..

https://www.aura.com/learn/types-of-social-engineering-attacks

What Are Social Engineering Attacks?

Social engineering is the act of “human hacking” to commit fraud and identity theft.

Hackers use deceptive psychological manipulation to instill fear, excitement, or urgency. Once you're in a heightened emotional state, they'll use that against you to cloud your better judgment.

It only takes one human error to become a victim of a socially engineered attack. And this vulnerability is the reason why criminals are using social engineering techniques more often.

How Do Social Engineering Attacks Work?

Social engineering attacks are relatively straight-forward. All a hacker needs to do is convince one under-informed, stressed, or trusting person to do what they say.

And the results are worth it.

In one of the highest-profile social engineering attacks of all time, hackers tricked Twitter employees into giving them access to internal tools [*]. The hackers then hijacked the accounts of people like Joe Biden, Elon Musk, and Kanye West to try and get their many followers to send Bitcoin to the hackers.

These attacks are incredibly easy to pull off, and they all follow a similar pattern.

The four phases of a social engineering attack are:

Discovery and investigation
    Deception and hook
    Attack
    Retreat

1. Discovery and investigation

Scammers start by identifying targets who have what they’re seeking. This usually includes credentials, data, unauthorized access, money, confidential information, etc.

Then they scope out potential victims online. For example, they will look at your online footprint, see where you work, take note of what you share on social media, and so on.

Once they know who you are, the hackers use this information to craft the perfect personalized attack. And because the attacker knows so much about you, you’ll be more likely to lower your guard.

2. Deception and hook

As scammers learn more about their victims, they’ll look for potential entry points. These could include your email address, phone number, and social media account — any avenue by which they can get in touch and open the door for an attack.

Then, they reach out with a “hook” to get you interested.

For example, let’s say you just earned a new job title and posted it on LinkedIn. A scammer could easily spoof an email from a well-known industry website and ask you for an interview. It seems harmless and normal, so why wouldn’t you respond?

3. Attack

When the hook lures you in, the scammer executes one of several types of social engineering attacks.

For instance, after you click the link to set up an online interview, the scammer secretly installs malware on your device. The next thing you know, your entire corporate network is infected, and the scammer has stolen gigabytes of sensitive data.

Tiny cybersecurity mistakes like this can cost companies huge sums of money. The average cost of a company data breach is a staggering $4.24 million [*].

4. Retreat

As soon as criminals complete their mission, they’ll vanish with as little evidence as possible. The average time to detect a cyber attack or data breach is close to 200 days, so you won’t even know what’s happened until they’re long gone.

I have worked many yrs in high tech manufacturing companies in various roles including computer and IT so we were often tested on how to identify Social Engineering scams in order to prevent the human factor in the breaches..

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2024 at 12:30 AM, yachtflame said:

That link leads to a blank page. The 3800 block of Sullivan Road is in Spokane Valley, WA, not Spokane. The city of Spokane Valley was incorporated in 2003. Before that, it would have been unincorporated Spokane County and had a Spokane address. 3808 N Sullivan Rd. is a LaQuinta hotel. I wonder how long they are staying, and I hope they haven't checked out by the time you get there. How convenient. Maybe you can get a room on the same floor.

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/laquinta/spokane-valley-washington/la-quinta-spokane-valley/overview

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

To the OP

You asked for advice

You received it

If you ignore it

that is is your choice

Can this topic be locked now ?

Jim

If you do not like the content, do not open  it.Jim ,seems like you want to ,or are a moderator. Let the real ones do it.They seem not to need your two cents..They are doing great without you input 

Today, I drove slowly by 3800 N. Sullivan, Spokane Valley, front and back. This is an office strip, mostly empty, fronting 600+ acres of industrial park which was originally a WWII supply depot, now converted to civilian use. Covered by large warehouses, it now is home to 50 or more businesses. Nowhere on their directory appeared "DVS" in any way, shape or form. The list of companies can be found on on the internet under Spokane Industrial Park.

I would input the phone number of whomever you are talking with to search engines and see what comes up.

Maybe DVS is legit and has changed locations and all is well, but I'd make damn sure before parting with one red cent. 

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One powerful way to help identify fakery on these scam sites is to do a Google image search. Out of curiosity, I searched a few of the pictures of the "clients" on the site in question. The searches came back as either stock photos from legitimate websites or photos from social media sites with completely different names. If you see a car for sale and question the legitimacy, a simple Goggle image search will many times reveal the car pictures are from an old ad or a picked off the site of a legit dealer. Just this past weekend I came across a car advertised by a dealer in WV. Very professional and well done website, but the price seemed just a little too good. I searched the image and turns out every picture on the website was of sold cars picked off a legit dealer's site in VA. I contacted the dealer in VA and he was able to get the scam site shut down.

Edited by SteveMaz
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Looks like the scam website I reported over the weekend is back in business with the same pictures and a different URL. That didn't take long at all. If anybody wants to check out a very well done but absolute scam site, check out https://whynotusedcars.com/

3 hours ago, SteveMaz said:

Looks like the scam website I reported over the weekend is back in business with the same pictures and a different URL. That didn't take long at all. If anybody wants to check out a very well done but absolute scam site, check out https://whynotusedcars.com/

Do a google search on this address for Why Not Used Cars ---- check out the street photo

7151 Webster Rd, Cowen, WV 26206

thumbnail?panoid=SIoPbaNbrSb27YVUkwFL0A&cb_client=search.gws-prod.gps&w=408&h=240&yaw=121.69424&pitch=0&thumbfov=100

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)

10 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

Do a google search on this address for Why Not Used Cars ---- check out the street photo

7151 Webster Rd, Cowen, WV 26206

thumbnail?panoid=SIoPbaNbrSb27YVUkwFL0A&cb_client=search.gws-prod.gps&w=408&h=240&yaw=121.69424&pitch=0&thumbfov=100

Can't really determine if that is a legit car sales business, car hobbiest, car flipper.

I know in my state that it is legal to buy, sell, flip, transfer ownership/title or register for on the road use up to ten vehicles per yr without needing to obtain a state dealers license. It is done that way so some car enthusiasts who like trading around do not have to go through additional red tape and costs. Many times small hobby car dealers operate under the radar from their home which is what a few of my friends do, they don't typically have cars sitting on a lot. Instead they buy and drive as their own personal car.. When they get tired of it, they buy something else and flip the previous car.

I can't see scammers especially outside the States looking for a fake location wanting to put tons of effort finding and setting up fake addresses in small rural places.. Typically they seek out the path of least resistance which means finding and using industrial/retail/office places which easy to blend and hide.

I would be much more concerned about addresses that are more like strip malls, retail, office or industrial business parks..

Again, I thank you all. I have scheduled an inspection for the 10th of April at their location in Spokane. If it’s a ruse, I’m only out $520 plus a night in a hotel. Cheap insurance for the value of the car I’m looking at. We’ll see how it goes.

This is the second time I’ve done this innEA, last time in Tacoma and I love that car!

Again, I thank you all. I have scheduled an inspection for the 10th of April at their location in Spokane. If it’s a ruse, I’m only out $520 plus a night in a hotel. Cheap insurance for the value of the car I’m looking at. We’ll see how it goes.

This is the second time I’ve done this innEA, last time in Tacoma and I love that car!

Curious.  Did you pay a deposit to hold the car for that long?  

On 3/21/2024 at 7:37 AM, CChinn said:

Anyone else see some additional red flags here?  Owner not available because he works on an offshore oil rig. Isn’t that a classic scam ploy?  Using some intermediate obscure logistics/shipping company with various websites and an equally obscure address/location. No info given about photos of the car or whether it is available for inspection. Hopefully, DGPoff will be able to verify whether this is real or a scam

The "works on an oil rig" is the biggest red flag out there.   100% scam.

• Thanks 1

Did you do any research to see what is really at their Spokane location? Take a friend and be careful. Remember if the price of the car is too good it is always a scam.