Great picture

I know there is a separate forum for these but I just thought this was so good it was worth posting here.

image.jpeg.072bf1d2f8fc8ad744c3d9fcb583a859.jpeg

According to the Google image search: Racing driver Marjorie Eccles relaxing at Brooklands with a quick smoke and a couple of lines of knitting while a mechanic works on her Eccles Rapier Special.

• Like 14

To add yet another perspective ( like I always seem to do 🙄) how many people here reading this have been to the Brooklands race track ? seen cars on the track up on the top curve of the banked track at speed?

Or even know where Brooklands  is? Not a put down. It is such an interesting site an annual car event takes place organized by The Brooklands Society. Much of the race car area has been preserved in the past 40+ years. A few decades ago I was able to attend the annual Brooklands Reunion for several years . Cars were being driven/used on the banked track and in the pits, display area near the club house you could meet and talk to people who raced there pre WWII era. Priceless experience. Beyond the visual treat you had the smell of "petrol and oil" in the air. All part of it. Just to see cars currently go up the "test hill" and make it to the top without blowing up the gearbox, engine, radiator............ And yes, I did get a ride in the mechanics seat of one of the cars for a drive on the banked track - immediately afterwards was consuming some adult beverage of the Scottish decent "neat" to get the color back into my face and hands - I looked like a ghost. Scared the heck out of me.

My ancestors resided and grew up in the same county as the track but not within "ear shot" of the activities.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, alsfarms said:

To bad we don't have a picture of this car and driver in action.

Al

Not the same car or year but this shows some of her in action

Marjorie Eccles Racing Driver photos | IMAGO (imago-images.com)

Eccles Rapier and other Lagonda Rapiers - Tim and Jane Metcalfe (tjmetcalfe.com)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is interesting because I have seen the woman in this same photo identified as "flying" FayTaylour.  She was a motorcycle racer in the 1920's.  There is at least one photo of her sitting astride a motorcycle wearing a dress and high heels.  She changed to cars in the early 30's and was known for wearing a skirt when she was racing.  

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)

Nice pictures on imago of this competitive woman. Does anyone know what the car she is in? It certainly is NOT a LaGonda Rapier. That beast is similar to an Alvis but I think not. As in all things historical, the back story is very relevant.

Al

This photo may have been taken at the Craigantlet Hill climb in County Down in 1934.  In an article about the race it was noted that Taylour wore a tweed skirt while racing.  The car is not identified.

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Walt G said:

To add yet another perspective ( like I always seem to do 🙄) how many people here reading this have been to the Brooklands race track ? seen cars on the track up on the top curve of the banked track at speed?

Or even know where Brooklands  is? Not a put down. It is such an interesting site an annual car event takes place organized by The Brooklands Society. Much of the race car area has been preserved in the past 40+ years. A few decades ago I was able to attend the annual Brooklands Reunion for several years . Cars were being driven/used on the banked track and in the pits, display area near the club house you could meet and talk to people who raced there pre WWII era. Priceless experience. Beyond the visual treat you had the smell of "petrol and oil" in the air. All part of it. Just to see cars currently go up the "test hill" and make it to the top without blowing up the gearbox, engine, radiator............ And yes, I did get a ride in the mechanics seat of one of the cars for a drive on the banked track - immediately afterwards was consuming some adult beverage of the Scottish decent "neat" to get the color back into my face and hands - I looked like a ghost. Scared the heck out of me.

My ancestors resided and grew up in the same county as the track but not within "ear shot" of the activities.

Walt

I visited a few years ago...a fascinating place! No cars were running but we walked a portion of the track and were shocked by how extreme the banking is and how terribly rough it is! It must have been terribly hard on both cars and drivers.  

Knowing their moto was "The right crowd and no crowing", I got a kick out of going to "the loo" and standing where so many famous men of the 20's and '30s had stood. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

how extreme the banking is and how terribly rough it is!

that was my reaction as well, had to tear up tires quickly. You have to be there to really appreciate that. Just the fact it was a banked race track not to long after the turn of the century is incredible and that it has survived at all for as long as it did. It doesn't take much imagination to look at that track and hear the roar of the cars as they lap the concrete.

• Like 2

As an epilog to the first picture posted by Leif in Calif, and in staying on subject, could one or two off you post pictures of the race track being discussed? I have never seen nor likely ever will see so a picture paints with a thousand words.

Al

3 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

As an epilog to the first picture posted by Leif in Calif, and in staying on subject, could one or two off you post pictures of the race track being discussed? I have never seen nor likely ever will see so a picture paints with a thousand words.

Al

Here's a famous picture which also conveys the rough surface! 

brooklands-historic-photo-copyright-brooklands-museum-surrey.jpg?resize=950%2C630&ssl=1

Here's a picture from the air...it opened in 1907 (I think) for the express purpose of improving British cars, and a large portion was taken down at the beginning of WWII to make way for an air strip. 

10 Winning Facts about Brooklands Motor Racing Circuit – The Historic  England Blog

• Like 3

alsfarms if you google Brooklands museum, society etc you will get all the information you need as well as images.

Yes, the track was opened in 1907.  Track is located in Surrey.

17 hours ago, Walt G said:

that was my reaction as well, had to tear up tires quickly. You have to be there to really appreciate that. Just the fact it was a banked race track not to long after the turn of the century is incredible and that it has survived at all for as long as it did. It doesn't take much imagination to look at that track and hear the roar of the cars as they lap the concrete.

For some reason I'd always associated it with being a wood track until recently. 

Photos don't do it justice, but here are some track level views for folks like myself who've never been.

brooklands-race-track-today.jpg

brooklands-race-track-today.jpg

Brooklands-Members-Bridge-30-degrees-banking-Orig-Track-Photo-Courtesy-Brooklands-Museum.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

that top edge is REALLY steep , almost so you can't stand up at all. the track has been maintained by the Brooklands Society who have never ending admiration for what took place there historically and it is a vast area to keep as you see it. Much of that concrete track is still there from 1907!!!

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Walt G said:

Walt

I had for awhile now in my brothers possession a 1923 Norton race bike. It was supposedly raced at brooklands, they had a special muffler for the use.52696728325_e84c285afd_c.jpg2023-02-18_12-27-57 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

This is a picture of me riding it a few years ago at a fun little grand prix race.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Interesting story and track.  Reminds me if walking the Charlotte Motor Speedway with it's 31 degree banking.   We walked the

bottom part where it looks flat.   A guy in a wheelchair fell over sideways.   Apparently speed is required to stick to even a slight

banking.   I think when I drove the Daytona Speedway, I never went more than half way up the steep banks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I had for awhile now in my brothers possession a 1923 Norton race bike. It was supposedly raced at brooklands, they had a special muffler for the use.52696728325_e84c285afd_c.jpg2023-02-18_12-27-57 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

This is a picture of me riding it a few years ago at a fun little grand prix race.

Just to show that our problems aren't new...mufflers were required at Brooklands and they were forbidden to race at night, so the 24 hour race was called "The Double Twelve". 

• Like 1

In the Car & Driver sponsored One Lap of America in the mid 1990s I was fortunate enough to drive a few laps of multiple high bank tracks for at least for half a lap on the high bank before plunging down into the infield road racing course.  At Michigan International Speedway it was astounding how steep it was and how much speed it took to feel comfortable moving towards the top.  I managed just over 150 mph in a 1995 twin turbo Supra before having to slam the brakes to make the sharp left into the infield road racing course.  Oh and the most amazing thing was where you had to look at speed on the bank - about 15 to 20 degrees left!

• Like 2