Shot in the dark on cordless tool battery repair

Ray62

I'm taking a shot in the dark on this one, but figure it can't hurt to ask and maybe just maybe I'll get lucky. I live in the SE part of Pennsylvania and I seem to recall a member who lives in or near Lancaster County, PA mentioning that they know of an Amish shop that repairs/rebuilds batteries for cordless power tools. If this rings a bell with anyone please let me know by posting here or by PM. Thanks in advance for the help !!!

Amish use a lot of battery tools and lights. There's a big Amish general store near Quarryville that handles a  lot of those; the name escapes me at the moment.

If you have an Interstate Battery store nearby, most of them rebuild batteries.

*edit D&J Farm Store

65 Hess Rd

Quarryville PA 17566

717-786-8515

You can try them and if they don't rebuild batteries, they may know who does.

8 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Here's how I fixed my cordless drill when it stopped working just when I needed it most in the middle of a job:

952935724_2022-02-0314_44_01.jpg.fb4c7ced6d5c037982188cb07ed2abab.jpg

On the upside, the other tools have been exceptionally well-behaved since then.

I have a large hammer for the single purpose of threatening my vehicles.   If one is being particularly recalcitrant, I stand in front of it, wave the hammer, and give it a choice.  

Works every time.  

• Haha 8

Just now, Zimm63 said:

I have a large hammer for the single purpose of threatening my vehicles.   If one is being particularly recalcitrant, I stand in front of it, wave the hammer, and give it a choice.  

Works every time.  

You've never had to actually USE the hammer? Wow, you must be much more threatening than I am!

• Haha 5

Kind of reminds me of a balky and very aggravating lawn mower I had. After repeated warnings it stalled yet again.  As warned,  I parked it at the end of the drive way, ran it at full throttle and shot it in the head with my .270 Winchester. Never gave me any trouble after that...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Haha 5

I used to keep a calendar from a local junkyard in the garage where the Oldsmobiles could see it. The calendar had the yard's phone number in large print...

Friend is up in PA Amish country this week working on a steam tractor. Waiting to see if he can find the Amish battery guy's name.

• Haha 4

I get batteries repaired (rebuilt) often.

It's not inexpensive, but since my batteries fit several tools, I do it rather than replace the tools.

Just google for the service. Send em the dead battery pak and it comes back fresh.

I had to change my shorts after I saw how much new batteries for my18V  Makita tools cost.  A guy in the same isle said he's a contractor and buys batteries just as good as OEM from Amazon for a fraction of the price.

I don't buy anything from Jeffy Bezos or Amazon but do see that similar AH batteries are widely available on Ebay for much less than OEM.

2 hours ago, nat said:

I had to change my shorts after I saw how much new batteries for my18V  Makita tools cost.  A guy in the same isle said he's a contractor and buys batteries just as good as OEM from Amazon for a fraction of the price.

I don't buy anything from Jeffy Bezos or Amazon but do see that similar AH batteries are widely available on Ebay for much less than OEM.

Whatever AH the batteries "say" they are is mostly BS , just see how much the amazon replacements weigh compared to a OEM battery.

But if you watch the Home Depot / Lowes ads they often have deals for 2 batteries and a tool for $100-$150,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats how I end up with so many drills!  I use a small impact gun every day (makita). Works great, but when the batterys go kaput after a few years the replacement cost is prohibitive. It is usually cheaper to buy the tool, 2 batteries and a charger for almost the cost of one battery.

• Like 4

I just buy the cells and repack my own NiCad packs. Yes, some brands require cracking the cases open....😡  Sometimes I replace them with NiMh cells, seem to last longer per charge.

Li-Ion cells can store a lot of energy! It's why the tools that use them go long between charges and have more umph in energy while using them. Most Li-Ion battery packs have electronics in them, so it is not a simple change the cells like NiCad and NiMh packs.

And sometimes they just do things on their own. Here is a picture of my old Iphone 4S that I use as a micro Ipad so to speak to listen to music. I picked it up from the counter, unplugged form the wall so not charging nor hot, and it looked like this. Still works, and holds a charge for a short while!

IMG_1706.JPEG

• Like 1

Also note that the tool just wants its 18 volts and does not care if its from NiCad or Li-Ion cells

But if you buy a Li-Ion battery  you need a Li-Ion battery charger for it , 

I only know about Dewalt + Ryobi and they have some chargers that charge both types of batteries , 

But better to check if you are changing types of batteries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My bud asked some of the Amish he's working with this week about the battery rebuilder. They've mostly converted to Li-ion batteries and get several years service out of them. When the batteries will no longer charge, they now replace them instead of having them rebuilt. None of them knew of a rebuilder.

On 10/10/2023 at 7:42 PM, nat said:

A guy in the same isle said he's a contractor and buys batteries just as good as OEM from Amazon for a fraction of the price.

I bought some off brand batteries. They hold up

pretty well but the are hard to get out of the tool and charger. The clips are a little off.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 1:36 PM, JACK M said:

I get batteries repaired (rebuilt) often.

It's not inexpensive, but since my batteries fit several tools, I do it rather than replace the tools.

Just google for the service. Send em the dead battery pak and it comes back fresh.

Just like my coils!

• Like 1

Do most realize that a 20 max battery  is actually only 18 volt. When it is on charge it is charging at 20 volt. That is why there is an aster after the title on the box. Then try and find the well hidden the aster explanation. 

Just a bit of useless information. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 9:24 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Here's how I fixed my cordless drill when it stopped working just when I needed it most in the middle of a job:

952935724_2022-02-0314_44_01.jpg.fb4c7ced6d5c037982188cb07ed2abab.jpg

On the upside, the other tools have been exceptionally well-behaved since then.

An old hillbilly friend told me once, "Funny thing. You know if you don't use something it don't break."

I know these things are handy but I have gone back to using power cord tools. ( I had a Maketa cordless drill back when they had the long thin batteries.) No batteries to charge. No quitting in the middle of the job because of a dead one. (Unless it is the tool operator. 😬) I've found it is easier to have a cord handy. I hang mine with long loops. it is easier to handle and does not tangle so bad and often just a few unwraps gets me enough length to get where I'm going. Waiting for a dead battery to charge is like waiting for paint to dry. Batteries are way too expensive for these things, and life's way too short for the extra time it takes messing with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As I've gotten old it's become tougher for me to wrangle the Stihl gas weedeater and leaf blower. Then a couple weeks ago the ancient WeedEater brand corded electric blower I used to clean off the lawnmower up and died. Made a growl noise, let out a puff of smoke, stunk up the place and that was all she wrote. You let the smoke out of electric stuff, it ain't gonna work anymore.

So I bit the bullet and bought a Ryobi 18v battery weedeater and blower kit. I've never had really good luck with battery operated stuff, but these weigh a third less than the gas-powered equipment. 

In a few years I'll be the one squawling about what a replacement battery costs. And if things hold true to form, the battery will be obsolete, unavailable, and I'll have something else to send to the landfill.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, rocketraider said:

As I've gotten old it's become tougher for me to wrangle the Stihl gas weedeater and leaf blower. Then a couple weeks ago the ancient WeedEater brand corded electric blower I used to clean off the lawnmower up and died. Made a growl noise, let out a puff of smoke, stunk up the place and that was all she wrote. You let the smoke out of electric stuff, it ain't gonna work anymore.

So I bit the bullet and bought a Ryobi 18v battery weedeater and blower kit. I've never had really good luck with battery operated stuff, but these weigh a third less than the gas-powered equipment. 

In a few years I'll be the one squawling about what a replacement battery costs. And if things hold true to form, the battery will be obsolete, unavailable, and I'll have something else to send to the landfill.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. 😜

• Like 1