Starting the “ How Is It Going at HERSHEY ? “ thread !!!

mobileparts

1 hour ago, kar3516 said:

IMG_4989.jpeg.8250a99c149a8ec60476f3aed0d4e8fa.jpegIMG_4983.jpeg.9fcebfd462e1945b942cead78a685d3c.jpeg

Next bid bought this car and it didn't sell.  It would be the deal of the auction at 190K.  The owner is the most fastidious collector I know and he paid more than that before he had his extremely gifted team sort the crap out of it for who knows how much more money.   On yeah, and it is 100% a real salon car.   Needs blackwalls and trippe lights thrown away, otherwise fantastic tour car.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

16 cylinder Caddy was one of the nicest cars there, my favorite for sure. DDaves truck was a hit as well. I saw the Harwood Lincoln enter the show field but did not see where he parked.

Question is…….was it one of the real 7 to exist, or one of the 25 new cars……..? It’s not familiar to me, and I can’t find it on the list of known cars…….anyone know the car’s history?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Next bid bought this car and it didn't sell.  It would be the deal of the auction at 190K.  The owner is the most fastidious collector I know and he paid more than that before he had his extremely gifted team sort the crap out of it for who knows how much more money.   On yeah, and it is 100% a real salon car.   Needs blackwalls and trippe lights thrown away, otherwise fantastic tour car.

Don’t forget to toss the mirrors on the spare tires also…….cool car.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

Throw those pilot rays,  I mean trippe lights my way when you toss them. ;)  They would pay for a new full set of blackwalls.  Tubes and spares included.   Actually you can throw the tires my way as well. 

I can't tell the difference because my eyes shut off when I see them.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

@alsancle it seemed to me MANY of the cars at RM auction were very well bought, even adding in the 10% buyers weight. Just to name one, the 1930 Packard Mark Hyman bought for $124,000. (and ALMOST bought for like $80K plus fees) seemed like a huge score. And the opportunities even existed in the $20-$30,000 range

• Like 3

I’ve been to Hershey many times, to show my car, as a parts buyer for my own cars, and cars I’ve done for others. Through the years I’ve gotten a good grasp on the value of the car parts I deal with and parts in general. I am always willing to pay a fair price for an item. This year was the first year I was a vendor also. Here’s my own observations and opinions of this past year:

While some of it is against the rules, the bikes, golf carts, and scooters didn’t bother me at all and I realize that the age of the average attendee is up there. Many have mobility issues including myself as this year I developed tibular tendonitis which is extremely painful for me to walk at times. This year was the first that I didn’t walk around. If the rules are strictly enforced on the bikes and carts, you can kiss at least half of the spectator/buyers away. I find it funny that people are complaining about how there’s not as many vendors and then complain about the buyers getting around the show. The two run hand in hand and I’m sure it’s a driving force for the “lack” of enforcement. Less buyers showing up, less vendors will show up and go to the internet. Another contributing factor is society is very different these days and even the older generations are adapting. Yes, you have people who will always follow the rules and you can expect those with mobility issues to stop coming because of that and the rules. You then have others who no longer care about the rules, the older ones included. If you try and enforce them, they’ll stop coming all together, then start using the internet even more along with ebay to get what they want. The real issues come down to the people attending the show and their individual personalities. I understand there was almost a fist fight in the chocolate field this year!

As a vendor, I brought many parts from fair to NOS in OEM boxes. I met lots of nice people and plenty, yes plenty of jerks. The people from foreign countries were hands down the nicest and tried their hardest to speak English rather than expecting me to speak their language. I had many items priced at pennies on the dollar at an extreme deal at what I was asking and many still tried counter offering at half of my pricing. Now I know many will say that’s how it works but many took it to the extreme with some even lying about a part I had and that they knew nothing about (of course they low ball offered on my price) yet when we looked it up on the internet, they couldn’t resist explaining that parts actual use and that two were needed, with their “expertise “. I witnessed another buyer stop at a friends booth and start chastising him that the part he had on his table had been “screwed with” (his words) and wasn’t original. Asking price was $45 dollars and about an hour later that part was sold for $45! He was just a jerk showing off his “expertise “ with his giant bravado. Another guy leaving the lot at the end of the day who had all kinds of room to maneuver his truck, instead came too close to a vendor booth running over a set of wheels and damaging one. That driver then got out of his truck and denied damaging the wheel after 50 people witnessed it. Again a jerk. 

On the show fields I spoke with a couple men about interior work and a convertible roof. While one guy was pleasant and informative, the other again offered up his knowledge with extreme bravado even admitting he was being arrogant. When I told him what I was looking for he basically insisted it couldn’t be done so I explained I had already done it. He continued to insist that it had to be done his way so I then showed him photos of what I had done and that it could in fact be done the way I mentioned. He basically left the conversation walking away from that point and i realized that I’ve met many like him and have even blocked others like him that post on this forum. I believe he figured he was talking to someone with half a brain who had never done anything like we were discussing and that he was special.

Conclusion: As a vendor, selling many items for $2 to $20 average, I had a great show in sales. The buyers, some could have just been better people. As a show spectator looking for some information, it could have gone a LOT better.
     Many things in this world go through cycles and I doubt Hershey will ever be the size and splendor it once was. As things just change and for the show to continue it will need to adapt. It starts with the people and unfortunately people are the hardest things to change. Buildings can be built, rivers can be spanned, tunnels can be dug. All of that is easier than changing how society thinks, believes, and behaves.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, chistech said:

On the show fields I spoke with a couple men about interior work and a convertible roof. While one guy was pleasant and informative, the other again offered up his knowledge with extreme bravado even admitting he was being arrogant. When I told him what I was looking for he basically insisted it couldn’t be done so I explained I had already done it. He continued to insist that it had to be done his way so I then showed him photos of what I had done and that it could in fact be done the way I mentioned. He basically left the conversation walking away from that point and i realized that I’ve met many like him and have even blocked others like him that post on this forum. I believe he figured he was talking to someone with half a brain who had never done anything like we were discussing and that he was special.

No, I'm not special, and I believe my comment was something like "I guess you think I'm arrogant, but at this point it can't be done correctly as you wish it done"

-you said you wanted a "kit" that you would install yourself, interior and top, 1932 Oldsmobile cabriolet I believe

-you stated you'd once bought one from LeBaron Bonney, and you wanted one like that again

-we pointed out that L-B is gone, and with it all the patterns, so getting a "kit" was not an option (and we sort of know where some patterns went, who has them, they're not accessible, but I think you even argued that point with us)

-you further stated that with the old pieces someone could sew up an interior and top without having the car

-we disagreed with you, I might sound arrogant but I'm not wrong, you cannot use an old top as a "pattern" and have the new top fit correctly, you have to have the car to fit the top to in person, the interior might be a little more forgiving but not the top

-you continued to argue that it could be done, that you wanted a "kit" and install it yourself, a great money saver when LeBaron Bonney was in business, but we again pointed out it's not available at this point in time

I apologize if I hurt your feelings, that was not the intent, the intent was to explain to you how a quality top had to be installed on your car, and from the picture you showed us of a very nice car it deserves quality work. You walked up looking for a specific trimmer, the other "pleasant" guy (way to go, Paul!), and you happened to run into two trimmers who are good friends and tried to explain to you the current situation, but you already had your mind made up it could be done "your way".

Oh, and I "walked away from the conversation" because my wife was sitting in the parking lot waiting for me, and I'd already spent too much time on the field.  If you interpreted that as being rude, I can't help that.

Feel free to block me if you wish, I've freely shared information on this forum for years and have more attaboys than sour grapes. I'm not a know-it-all, but after almost 60 years in the hobby I know a lot, how's that for arrogant.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, trimacar said:

No, I'm not special, and I believe my comment was something like "I guess you think I'm arrogant, but at this point it can't be done correctly as you wish it done"

-you said you wanted a "kit" that you would install yourself, interior and top, 1932 Oldsmobile cabriolet I believe

-you stated you'd once bought one from LeBaron Bonney, and you wanted one like that again

-we pointed out that L-B is gone, and with it all the patterns, so getting a "kit" was not an option (and we sort of know where some patterns went, who has them, they're not accessible, but I think you even argued that point with us)

-you further stated that with the old pieces someone could sew up an interior and top without having the car

-we disagreed with you, I might sound arrogant but I'm not wrong, you cannot use an old top as a "pattern" and have the new top fit correctly, you have to have the car to fit the top to in person, the interior might be a little more forgiving but not the top

-you continued to argue that it could be done, that you wanted a "kit" and install it yourself, a great money saver when LeBaron Bonney was in business, but we again pointed out it's not available at this point in time

I apologize if I hurt your feelings, that was not the intent, the intent was to explain to you how a quality top had to be installed on your car, and from the picture you showed us of a very nice car it deserves quality work. You walked up looking for a specific trimmer, the other "pleasant" guy (way to go, Paul!), and you happened to run into two trimmers who are good friends and tried to explain to you the current situation, but you already had your mind made up it could be done "your way".

Oh, and I "walked away from the conversation" because my wife was sitting in the parking lot waiting for me, and I'd already spent too much time on the field.  If you interpreted that as being rude, I can't help that.

Feel free to block me if you wish, I've freely shared information on this forum for years and have more attaboys than sour grapes. I'm not a know-it-all, but after almost 60 years in the hobby I know a lot, how's that for arrogant.

This thread was about this year’s show experience and while I gave my experience i didn’t give names or exact details. While you chose to reply, add names, and incorrect details in the forums rather than PM me, I’ve replied to you with the actual details via PM. 

My Take on this year, I start August 1st gathering things to bring to sell.  I also Post items I am bringing on this forum and if anyone see's something they might want to PM me and I will bring and hold for them with no money up front from Monday to Tuesday Noon, Usually then if no Answer or coms to me its open to anyone. This year I had just over 17k pounds Truck and Trailer for my 5 spots next to my brothers 5 spots he travels all the way from Colorado and me from Tenn. we come every year, It's harder and harder every year as we could not do it without the help from our other half's. So we may have to bring lighter stuff moving forward. This year on Monday Setup Day We got on field early and started all day, then setup in the Trailer, sleeping in the enclosed trailer after parts were removed and it was swept out for cots Ect.,  I had a scare as it was hot many buyers and lookers all day on Monday too, I was not re-hydrating fast enough and my sugar dropped way low, that took me out of the game for about a hour and half, scared the wife, I was wiped out, that being said after re-hydration and small sips from a Reg coke and some Protein slowly back in the Game.

Greg (PKHammer) Missed seeing you this year again, will try and get over to stop by next year God willing. Walt You have a very Nice Grandson. Nice seeing all the other guys and gals, Tom & Customers from all around the globe. Thanks

The Jist: We met a lot of Great People and many from the Forum also and I missed a few, would not miss this for anything but as I get older and more Issues I am thinking of a smaller trailer moving forward.

Weather: hot and muggy, Overcast would have helped staminia for buyers maybe

Crowd: Was down IMO

Scooters & Carts were plenty did not bother me, except seeing the ones that were speeding in and out of people again (no Enforcement)Many were not approved for use on the field which Concerned me, Also alot of vehicles driving around through the people walking as well.

Guy on another row behind us this year had older Motorhome new to the spaces I believe sub leased, had generator kick on at 3:30am-4:00am every morning so basically with my issues the week was very hard for me to get the rest for the next day. Someone chime in on those hours of use in the fields Please? It's bad enough roughing it doing sponge bath's and shampoo hair from a water ice cooler each day,  COLD!!!! but felt good, 🤠

Sales:

Monday Setup best setup day ever, other then my issue.

Tuesday Worst Single day ever

Wednesday Good Sales Day

Thursday  Another Worst day

Surmise: People that came and worked hard to search for items and used the Program Book found me and spent money, others were Sign collectors tire kickers I don't know, I think if Hershey region and Herco do not resolve this Hershey it will die, It cost me and wife a lot of time and Money to Bring parts,  Moving up a week took more shoppers out of the Picture IMO,  I also think the Economy with Inflation and explosive costs cut down on people making the trip, Also two spots next to me a few spaces over had two pickups each had a guy and both were in there 30's and they slept in the truck and walked every day and never had one table setup to sell item's, even honor system with a cup better then wasted selling spots ??  so that effects friends of mine who have a truck and trailer with Parts that need a min of 4 spaces to 5 spaces that can't get them to sell, but all these spots open are one two and three together ?, this all compiles on the list of the why's and why nots for both sellers and buyers IMO.

Cheers hope to see you all of you next year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chistech said:

I’ve been to Hershey many times, to show my car, as a parts buyer for my own cars, and cars I’ve done for others. Through the years I’ve gotten a good grasp on the value of the car parts I deal with and parts in general. I am always willing to pay a fair price for an item. This year was the first year I was a vendor also. Here’s my own observations and opinions of this past year:

While some of it is against the rules, the bikes, golf carts, and scooters didn’t bother me at all and I realize that the age of the average attendee is up there. Many have mobility issues including myself as this year I developed tibular tendonitis which is extremely painful for me to walk at times. This year was the first that I didn’t walk around. If the rules are strictly enforced on the bikes and carts, you can kiss at least half of the spectator/buyers away. I find it funny that people are complaining about how there’s not as many vendors and then complain about the buyers getting around the show. The two run hand in hand and I’m sure it’s a driving force for the “lack” of enforcement. Less buyers showing up, less vendors will show up and go to the internet. Another contributing factor is society is very different these days and even the older generations are adapting. Yes, you have people who will always follow the rules and you can expect those with mobility issues to stop coming because of that and the rules. You then have others who no longer care about the rules, the older ones included. If you try and enforce them, they’ll stop coming all together, then start using the internet even more along with ebay to get what they want. The real issues come down to the people attending the show and their individual personalities. I understand there was almost a fist fight in the chocolate field this year!

As a vendor, I brought many parts from fair to NOS in OEM boxes. I met lots of nice people and plenty, yes plenty of jerks. The people from foreign countries were hands down the nicest and tried their hardest to speak English rather than expecting me to speak their language. I had many items priced at pennies on the dollar at an extreme deal at what I was asking and many still tried counter offering at half of my pricing. Now I know many will say that’s how it works but many took it to the extreme with some even lying about a part I had and that they knew nothing about (of course they low ball offered on my price) yet when we looked it up on the internet, they couldn’t resist explaining that parts actual use and that two were needed, with their “expertise “. I witnessed another buyer stop at a friends booth and start chastising him that the part he had on his table had been “screwed with” (his words) and wasn’t original. Asking price was $45 dollars and about an hour later that part was sold for $45! He was just a jerk showing off his “expertise “ with his giant bravado. Another guy leaving the lot at the end of the day who had all kinds of room to maneuver his truck, instead came too close to a vendor booth running over a set of wheels and damaging one. That driver then got out of his truck and denied damaging the wheel after 50 people witnessed it. Again a jerk. 

Conclusion: As a vendor, selling many items for $2 to $20 average, I had a great show in sales. The buyers, some could have just been better people. As a show spectator looking for some information, it could have gone a LOT better.
     Many things in this world go through cycles and I doubt Hershey will ever be the size and splendor it once was. As things just change and for the show to continue it will need to adapt. It starts with the people and unfortunately people are the hardest things to change. Buildings can be built, rivers can be spanned, tunnels can be dug. All of that is easier than changing how society thinks, believes, and behaves.

As a vendor, I brought many parts from fair to NOS in OEM boxes. I met lots of nice people and plenty, yes plenty of jerks. The people from foreign countries were hands down the nicest and tried their hardest to speak English rather than expecting me to speak their language.

Thank you Ted for your understanding and appreciation when we do our best to speak your language, English. it's not always easy and many other people don't even take the time to understand us non-native speakers.

When an attempt is made to speak your language and there is appreciation, we feel accepted for our effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Throw those pilot rays,  I mean trippe lights my way when you toss them. ;)  They would pay for a new full set of blackwalls.  Tubes and spares included.   Actually you can throw the tires my way as well. 

new set pilot ray's, never on a car.

seller ask $5000

IMG_4573 (2).jpg

I could go on forever about this year's Hershey and the "Hershey" experience but still limited medically. As always I heard vendors who had a spectacular year and other who were very unhappy.  It is like that in any business environment.  Overall, I thought it was a great year with a strong crowd and the comradery still one of the most endearing parts of the fall event.  I know one thing, a life without Hershey is a greatly diminished life and I want no part of it.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, trimacar said:

Hello, when I read this discussion about soft tops.

I have them done on the Jaguars E-type and the XJS cars too.

We can purchase a kit in the Uk and they are good quality.

However to install them on the car you need a sewing machine and tools.

There is a inner roof too and material between them.

Every car is different and a good kit is a good start.

It take special skills to install a soft top perfect.

of course some people are more skilled than others and can also have a good result if one puts in time, patience and work.

On 10/7/2023 at 2:43 PM, edinmass said:

Question is…….was it one of the real 7 to exist, or one of the 25 new cars……..? It’s not familiar to me, and I can’t find it on the list of known cars…….anyone know the car’s history?

No idea on the car Ed, I may even be wrong on the cylinder count, it may have been a 12 if they made them. Was on the show field friday, stunning auto, I will have to look and see if I took any photos. It was quite impressive in person, def. made a statement. 

I did forget to mention one of the best things to happen during the week. About 4-6 weeks before Hershey, I answered a post where someone was looking to have something brought to Hershey from MA. I contacted the individual, learned he was in the Navy and was hoping to get some parts for his project which with him often deployed, was hard for him to do. 

I was able to pick up the parts from the person who had them as my work has me traveling all over New England. Once I had picked them up, I hauled them to Hershey and Ken picked them up. He arrived with his son, was a great individual to meet and speak with. He is a commander on the USS Tennessee. He offered to pay me or buy me lunch for picking up the parts but I refused and simply thanked him for his service to the country. My friend with me and my friends in the immediate booth next to me all shook his hand and thanked him also. He was a nice gentleman to meet and his young son already has the itch to restore cars. Looks like he's a great dad too!

• Like 7

Our Hershey experience was good as always (25 yrs). We love show day and car corral, but auction previews also a highlight. This year we decided to sit in the hallway and try to watch on the large tv. (Can’t afford entry fee). As we sat there craning our necks to see over the crowd a man walked up and handed us 2 wrist bands so go in!! Just a nice gesture by a stranger that was really appreciated. 😃

• Like 5

On 10/9/2023 at 9:44 AM, chistech said:

I did forget to mention one of the best things to happen during the week. About 4-6 weeks before Hershey, I answered a post where someone was looking to have something brought to Hershey from MA. I contacted the individual, learned he was in the Navy and was hoping to get some parts for his project which with him often deployed, was hard for him to do. 

I was able to pick up the parts from the person who had them as my work has me traveling all over New England. Once I had picked them up, I hauled them to Hershey and Ken picked them up. He arrived with his son, was a great individual to meet and speak with. He is a commander on the USS Tennessee. He offered to pay me or buy me lunch for picking up the parts but I refused and simply thanked him for his service to the country. My friend with me and my friends in the immediate booth next to me all shook his hand and thanked him also. He was a nice gentleman to meet and his young son already has the itch to restore cars. Looks like he's a great dad too!

I know Ken and his son - taught him to drive my Model T - in return, maybe I'll get a chance to drive his submarine!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I come each year as a buyer. Sometimes looking for specific things, other times like this year not so much, But it is so much fun seeing all the cool old parts or tools that I have no idea what they are and talking to the sellers about them.  As someone mentioned signs seems to be the dominating thing these days, but if that's what people are buying then people are going to bring them.  The friend that was with me brought up a good point. Seems most of the vendors are older and been coming for years.   Is anyone going to replace them? As folks die off or can't come anymore and their kids inherent their stash are they going to come and sell?  But i bet people have been saying this for decades and it still keeps going on.  I did buy a new project even though I wasn't looking so next year I will be on the hunt for specific parts.  I love coming. i spend way too much on gas and accommodations to justify the trip but who cares.

• Like 1

I talked to quite a few vendors who were either selling for an estate, or their friend died & they were selling for the widow, or they were in their 80s & wanted everything gone.   These folks all had very reasonable prices.   I saw numerous signs similar to the picture I took below.  

IMG_2503.jpeg

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

On 10/4/2023 at 3:17 PM, mobileparts said:

Solorogue,

Were you here at my stand —-=RED Field R C C 74 - 76 ???

Did you get my card & flyer ???

I have half your car sitting here BRAND NEW ——

Master Cylinder, Wheel Cylinders, Brake Hoses, Brake Shoes, Water Pump, Fuel Pump,

Front Motor Mount, Tune Up —- Points, Condenser, Rotor,Cap, and Spark Plugs,

Voltage Regulator,Ignition Switch & Tumbler, and much, much more…….

All in top notch Quality parts and N.O.S.,etc., etc…..

My guess is that you didn’t see —- A L L —- of what HERSHEY has to offer…. I bet that you got tired and quit —- you tell us otherwise…..

Here is my telephone number ,for future use…. 516 - 485 - 193five……. Craig……

Hey Craig, I walked all over and even bought the mag with the map in it. I went to the 3 MOPAR vendors they had listed and then walked and walked more. Vintage clothing, gas pumps, model T and A parts, old gas station signs, stuff and stuff but nothing for my 41' business coupe. Let me know if you have the exterior windshield division bar and interior window garnish for my coupe. Thanks

NO..... No cosmetic, no piece of car, no fenders, grilles, lenses, radio knobs, NOTHING USED World....

Strictly,  Strictly , Strictly N E W Mechanical parts ---

Brakes --- Master Cylinder. Wheel Cylinders,  Brake Hoses, Brake Shoes, Hub & Drums, Bearings and Seals, & more....

Front End --- King Pins, Pin Kits, Control Arm Shafts with Bushings,  Tie Rods and more...

Motor Mounts ( Front Bar Mount that the mail order world has for $ 30 - $ 35 ===>>> I have for $ 12 !!! )

Water Pump ( NEW -- NOT Rebuilt ) , Fuel Pump ( NEW -- NOT Rebuilt )

Ignition, Electrical , Tune Up Parts

& much much more .....,

A L L QUALITY  and many U.S.A. made parts --- N E W  and N.O.S.

Always best to simply call me , especially since you missed me and don't have my phone number yet ---

516 - 485 - 193five.... Craig......

On 10/10/2023 at 5:31 PM, erichill said:

I love coming. i spend way too much on gas and accommodations to justify the trip but who cares.

This is the one car related event that my son and I spend a week together at. Have for nearly 30 years. A real bonding time and although he lives in the same house with me the "Hershey Experience" is just so much fun to spend time together- attend the SAH dinner, see friends worldwide IN PERSON.  There are all kinds of ways to spend/justify spending money.
I have stated here before I live next to ( not near right next to) one of the premier horse race tracks in the USA if not the world, have never been there to place a bet - don't care about gambling.  The cost to attend Hershey is more then just being at a "car" experience.  It is a annual homecoming  doesn't matter if you are 25 years old or 80+ years old. You have to be there to understand. It is like the movie of the same name " A field of dreams". A field of memories.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2