Starting the “ How Is It Going at HERSHEY ? “ thread !!!

mobileparts

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

In #3, I wasn't clear. Since there is parking for those with motorhomes, any motorhome on the flea market field should be required to have a full set of spaces with more than one or two boxes for sale.

IIn #4. the answer is to enforce the existing rules.

The problem is that this goes on every year and nothing changes. I would love to hear Hershey Regions response but so far silence.

6:36 A.M. —- just awoke from my last “ nap “ —- all is quiet on the precipitation situation !!!

That might be it until 8 : 00 P.M. tonight !!!

^^^ And above ^^^ , yes a motor home should be what it is —- my neighbors have one to sleep in as opposed to a $ 200 per night hotel —- but they have a juicy , giant spread of parts out there… That is the right idea…

And, as far as golf carts and SUVs, etc., give them time to mull it over…. Steve and Peter will, I am sure, read your submission, but they still would have to mention it at the meetings, etc,, etc., 

Rules had to be amended to address Drones, vaping, and new additions to the world…

Our AACA is pretty hip on making changes and adaptations—- see other threads about Street Rods at HERSHEY !!! , etc.

It is all about KEEPING HERSHEY GREAT !!! Remember, they have to incorporate 

350,000 AACA members’ ideas and thoughts into all the pluses and minuses of a show —- and I guarantee that they will do a better job than in Washington ( please —- this is 

N O T a political statement !!!  LOL !!! )

Give them time —- their focus is Today, maybe finally , possibly not having to deal with the r world, and putting on the # 1 Car Show on Planet Earth….

( And remember —- they Are volunteers, and devote mega hours of their life for us!!!)

Craig….. ENJOY the Show, everyone…..

• Like 2

Well, 8:30am and the drizzle has abated.  Have a feeling cars will be lacking on show field unfortunately.

Are we sure all spaces were sold?  I’m not so sure of that, and the general public isn’t privy to the  Hershey Region business. Remember, national AACA does NOT put on this event.

My wife and I had the second best year we’ve had at Hershey, and we’ve been coming for decades.  As a reference, we’ve been towed out of the mud on the old Blue field and slipped and slided on the old White field. Asphalt on the Green field now seems like cheating!

Granted, I’m breaking up a large Pierce memorabilia collection, but for the right stuff, there were buyers!

• Like 2

Our guys sold some stuff but commented on possibly not coming next year due to open spaces.  Their signs sold right away for strong prices though.  Our buddy that can't walk anymore stays at the table and sales always pay his entire trip.  This year that didn't happen,  he said orange field traffic where we are was bad.  I think combination of traffic and he didn't bring the right crap this year.  He's an antique dealer that usually brings unique stuff.    I had fun, found some stuff, and made new contacts.  

We walked Tues/ Wed.  

Good: picked up some spares, carb, NOS water pump& jewelery - restored trunk handle assy, correct gas cap for the Packard, as well as a few smalls.  David Flack was nice enough to part with a book we have been seeking for a year (thank you sir!!)Oh, and a set of older, US made Craftsman wrenches.  Good to have in the shed for $20!

Met a few new Packard contacts and saw many friends.  A bummer we missed too many folks but limited time this year.

NO LANTERN BUGS!! 😊😊😊

The So-so:

New schedule still takes some getting used to; we planned on Wed/Thurs but it sounds like Monday is active, making Wed the last day for many.  It is what it is, but for buyers it is looking like a Mon PM to Wed PM event.

High quality smalls are tougher every year, no reflection on the event just the market.

Overall a great time!

26 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

NO LANTERN BUGS!! 😊😊😊

I didn't see any either. They were pretty thick at Carlisle. I had to make doubly sure that none stowed away when I folded up the tarps for my canopies.

I believe “ Signs “ have replaced “ Car Parts “ as the # 1 item at HERSHEY….

Everyone and his brother is trying to become “ American Pickers “ selling signs…

My friend was one of the original “ Signs “ sellers —- and walks out of HERSHEY every year with a wad of $ 100s that would choke a race horse….

And they walk away from my booth, not having bought a $ 12 transmission mount, uttering “ Well, I don’t know if I really need it yet… I don’t want to carry anything….

( I do have handled bags for purchases…. )

Craig…..

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I think I've figured out something about Hershey.

Everyone has a different experience.  My wife and I set up in the Green field, 8am to 5pm each day Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.  Granted, I had some good stuff to sell, but we had a GREAT year with sales well into the...uh, never mind, IRS probably listening.  And the best part is all the old and new friends stopping by, I love it when someone introduces themselves and says "Hey, you're TRIMACAR!"  The people are the real reason the hobby is so great.

Then, some people come on Friday for flea market, nope, most have cleared out by then.

Some come on Monday, move in day, maybe bargains to be found but not as many vendors.

Maybe come Tuesday or Wednesday, but don't really LOOK for stuff, just trying to cover territory.

Or, come thinking there'll be piles of 1936 Whatsits convertible parts at every booth, and are SO disappointed when none show up.

And so it goes, everyone with different days and different expectations, and see Hershey from different viewpoints.  Like the blind men and the elephant, in case you don't know the story:

"A group of blind men heard that a strange animal, called an elephant, had been brought to the town, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: "We must inspect and know it by touch, of which we are capable". So, they sought it out, and when they found it they groped about it. The first person, whose hand landed on the trunk, said, "This being is like a thick snake". For another one whose hand reached its ear, it seemed like a kind of fan. As for another person, whose hand was upon its leg, said, the elephant is a pillar like a tree-trunk. The blind man who placed his hand upon its side said the elephant, "is a wall". Another who felt its tail, described it as a rope. The last felt its tusk, stating the elephant is that which is hard, smooth and like a spear."   

See, all in one's perspective.....

• Like 7

On 10/4/2023 at 11:08 AM, solorogue said:

I was at Hersey yesterday Tuesday 10/3 looking for parts for my 41' Dodge business coupe and it was a really sad waste of a long trip.

Very few vendors selling many parts and only three I could find on the map for old dodge parts, and they didn't even have much and nothing I needed.

The Carlisle summer events for both Ford and Mopar before Hersey were way better, and I was told there that Hersey was really the place to be for old parts.

Sadly, this was not the case, and I made the long 7 hr round trip for nothing going home with nothing :(

Talking with Vendors they are saying it's not like it used to be and turnout was really low. Not sure why the Hersey event did not go to the weekend, but a weekday only event really hurts people to go as well as vendors.

I am done doing to these events and will just look online now, which is sad as it's great to talk with (nice) vendors and other collectors. 

You should have been there Wednesday. Lots of vendors just set up. I had one of best finds ever from a vendor who just opened up

You can't expect one short quick trip to Hershey to produce what you are looking for. It's a treasure hunt. I'll bet half the people there wished they lived just 7 hours away. Thata about my travel distance too, but it's irrelevant  to me. It's HERSHEY!

More later, still here antique hunting.

Terry

• Like 3