Zenith Award

46 woodie

I received my July/August issue of the Antique Automobile and it included a beautiful Zenith Award supplement. What I would not give to have any of those automobiles in my garage. Nice job A.A.C.A.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I received my July/August issue of the Antique Automobile and it included a beautiful Zenith Award supplement. What I would not give to have any of those automobiles in my garage. Nice job A.A.C.A.

You can have one in your garage. All it takes is a lot of work and attention to detail. 

BUT, I know what you mean, LOL. Havent got the magazine yet (heck, Im still waiting on my Crankshaft!) but looking forward to it.

7 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

What I would not give to have any of those automobiles in my garage. Nice job A.A.C.A.

Those cars are so well detailed that the owners

likely don't drive them.  They are likely for exhibiting.

I suspect that you have even more enjoyable

cars:  Ones you can get on the road and drive!

• Like 4

I am from "The Working Irish".  I admire the high end cars in the  Zenith award group and how perfect they are.   However to compete in this category each piece is expertly done by experts in their field. The perfection to achieve this high level makes the expense  far beyond the average car owner.  It is a level I try to achieve in my work.  I look forward to seeing this years winner. 

Note that some of the cars are actually owner restored.  Some of them also have more mileage on them that you'd think also.   I was glad to see the program included with our magazine as now everyone gets to see what the Zenith Award is all about.  It should be encouraging to note there have been all kinds of vehicles represented among those beautiful automobiles.  

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TAKerry said:

You can have one in your garage. All it takes is a lot of work and attention to detail. 

BUT, I know what you mean, LOL. Havent got the magazine yet (heck, Im still waiting on my Crankshaft!) but looking forward to it.

Your going to like this issue, Kerry! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Your going to like this issue, Kerry! 

Makes me want to buy one of those before they are all 100k.   Seems like the escalator of cars I'm in to are going down.  Stuff from the 70s and 80s are going up.

Hmmmm, last 2 comments have me wondering.....................

As far as the Zenith cars being unobtainable for the average guy, at this point I disagree. I have seen some 'home restorations' that would align with any professional shop. Sometimes I think a high end home restoration may even be better than a shop done car in that the guy doing the work has some skin in the game (pardon the pun). They are def. the best of the best but again, all it takes is time and a great attention to detail. If every part is restored perfectly and installed perfectly then no reason why it should not stand out. I think most of us, me included set out with those expectations and get to a point where something will end up being 'just good enough' either because the correct part cannot be found without a whole boat load of effort or we just get tired and want to be finished. I started my current resto with the intent of a quick paint job, refresh the interior and sell. The longer I worked on it, and with the encouragement of a few friends (thanks guys 🥴) I wanted to do a 'correct' job. Then the correct job became, 'heck, I should get this AACA judged'. That became a quest for the right part no's and correct finishes all around. It will never be zenith status but I hope to at least score some decent points.

• Like 1

I have recounted this before but over a 5 year peripd a HS pal restored a car himself farming out only the interior and chrome.  (I did one at same time but had body & paint done doesn't count).

While maybe not a Zenith car he did put together a competitive restoration that did well in local judged shows in the 80s, into the 90s and is still too nice to redo today.  Factors:

1) Start was a straight complete CA car, not a rot box.

2) Time.  Besides nights and weekends this was a full time effort over 2, 3 summers.

3) Equipment - access to proper tools and painting equipment.

4) Experience.  While age 16 to age 20 or 21 doesn't provide years of experience if you start young enough, say 14 ish and you have a good mentor that, and time to redo mistakes is helpful.

5) Skill/touch - the intangible.  Experience helps but this is the tough one..

I think a DIY person can put out a great product if one has those above factors.  Just plan on a 10+ year effort if you work for a living..

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the fair comments made by many of you.  Yes, some of the cars are driven.  Yes Zenith has home restorations including a winner at least one one year of the entire event. My opinion folks, we should respect those that are willing to invest time and money to do these restorations, respects folks who drive the heck out of their cars, respect those that like unrestored cars, etc.  ALL of us are car people and enjoying the hobby as it meets our needs, financial condition, abilities, etc.  Glad you like this issue, the Duesenberg story was broke by AACA, previously and unpublished tale and the author wanted us to have it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Steve, well stated. We all have our strong interest in the cars/trucks and the vintage /era we find the most appealing.  You can't own everything so you choose what you have the $ for and the room for. There are all different levels. Have respect for other peoples views and reasons. - you do not have to understand them nor agree with them just have the respect.

A car I restored ( yes hands on both mechanical and cosmetic) i never had judged, I  just like to drive what I own. After I sold it with some detailing and improvements the car has now won first place awards from AACA and CCCA.  The 1930 Packard I have won an AACA first place in the early 1970s - was a trailer queen to all events by two owners and then placed in heated storage. I bought it at auction - not many bids as most collectors do not want a 7 passenger car - good i love them. ( you can take more friends along for the ride)

I removed the AACA badges which fortunately were not nailed into the cowl , and at the urging of a long time friend in Ohio ( thank you John Mereness ) placed them in an envelope in the glove box and that is where they reside. I appreciate awards but that is way down on the list of why i own the cars i do. Awards are just not my thing, for cars, stories I have written, recognition of local contributions to the village I live in etc. We each have our own level of satisfaction , reason we do things, what we love.  It's all good.

Walt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the Zenith awards help encourage all of us to make our cars the best they can be and to bring them to AACA events where they may get a nomination.  It is true to get your car to this highest level it is difficult to drive them much and remain competitive but you can drive them some.  This is an excellent award to keep the really nice cars coming to the shows for everyone's benefit. 

I wonder if rather than a winner and a runner up if it may be better to have two winners, Pre-war and Post-war.  To me it is hard to compare a full classic to any of the post war even though they both could be perfect.  I recognize this could make the nominating process tougher and judging as well but it would spread the glory!    

• Like 1

Bill we have discussed that extensively but at this point based upon all our National Awards for Pre and Post War cars we do not feel that this is inherently a better idea.  While winners have been predominately pre-war we had a 58 Buick win the entire thing.  As chief judge I "preside" over the conversation of the judges and trust me the deliberations are intense, thorough and all with the aim to be fair. 

11 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Thanks for the fair comments made by many of you.  Yes, some of the cars are driven.  Yes Zenith has home restorations including a winner at least one one year of the entire event. My opinion folks, we should respect those that are willing to invest time and money to do these restorations, respects folks who drive the heck out of their cars, respect those that like unrestored cars, etc.  ALL of us are car people and enjoying the hobby as it meets our needs, financial condition, abilities, etc.  Glad you like this issue, the Duesenberg story was broke by AACA, previously and unpublished tale and the author wanted us to have it.

The hobby is big enough for everyone’s taste. Good post.

I received the magazine this past Saturday. Upon reading the Duesenberg story, I called my buddy who is an old timer and since we are both from the Chicago area, I asked him if he knew anything about a hidden Duesy in the  area because one was just discovered. He asked me who owned it, I told him and he broke out laughing and was like “the car that was never lost is now found…so they finally got around to selling it, huh?” My friend said that he last seen it in the 1960’s and that he knew the owner well back then and that that it’s just been sitting in the garage for decades. I’m going to mail him a copy of the article and see if he wants to shed some more light on the car.

Even though I am not really a hat guy, my hat goes off to all of the folks who put the publications together. Year ago I was an editor for different clubs and I can tell you it is QUITE a job to get the job done. Great job!

1 hour ago, Tph479 said:

The hobby is big enough for everyone’s taste. Good post.

I received the magazine this past Saturday. Upon reading the Duesenberg story, I called my buddy who is an old timer and since we are both from the Chicago area, I asked him if he knew anything about a hidden Duesy in the  area because one was just discovered. He asked me who owned it, I told him and he broke out laughing and was like “the car that was never lost is now found…so they finally got around to selling it, huh?” My friend said that he last seen it in the 1960’s and that he knew the owner well back then and that that it’s just been sitting in the garage for decades. I’m going to mail him a copy of the article and see if he wants to shed some more light on the car.

Which is all mentioned in the story. It is not being touted as a "lost and found or discovered" Duesenberg, as anyone who has studied Duesenbergs knows very well that the fate of all Duesenberg J models (but for maybe one in Europe) is known. The featured Duesenberg was put away in 1966, garage doors sealed, and it never saw the light of day until last October. That's almost 60 years. Randy Ema, who has seen all but two of the existing Duesenbergs, had NEVER seen this one.

• Like 1

The sleeping Duesenberg was well known in the Model J collector circles. While I personally didn’t know of it, when I asked the usual suspects who have the bankroll and desire to purchase such a car……….no less than a half dozen of them were aware of the car. It’s certainly a very nice automobile, and they did well to assemble and drive if before they attempt a restoration. What is actually more interesting is the factory color and finishes. Since that body style is very popular when new……..it’s basically a chose you color and wheel treatment exercise. Virtually all the interiors were the same style and type of trim……just leather color is the only choice. It was an interesting article…….and I expect we will the story of the restoration when the car is finished……….hint, hint.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Which is all mentioned in the story. It is not being touted as a "lost and found or discovered" Duesenberg, as anyone who has studied Duesenbergs knows very well that the fate of all Duesenberg J models (but for maybe one in Europe) is known. The featured Duesenberg was put away in 1966, garage doors sealed, and it never saw the light of day until last October. That's almost 60 years. Randy Ema, who has seen all but two of the existing Duesenbergs, had NEVER seen this one.

It's an excellent story, I really enjoyed it.  And in a great issue.  The magazine just gets better and better; bravo.

• Like 3