Spokane 2023 NE Express(less)

JohnD1956

It was a big facility. Lots of nice trucks.

Then i got back on I80 to Illinois which led to I-88 and eventually to rt30 and a bunch of side road. 

20230728_134245.jpg

I hit Yorkville Illinois just as the heat was building for the day. Met Don Peterson who sold me a bunch of 56 parts.  Afterwards we had a great dinner at a local golf club. Thanks Don

20230728_201943.jpga terrific guy!

• Like 17

Love reading about your trip to Spokane John. It was great to see you out there. There were at least a few of us East Coast guys there. I haven't heard from Jimmy Shiels yet to see if he made it back in the Buick , he purchased in Colorado on the way out. Another great BCA National . Wait until that guy that slept through the Board of Directors meeting wakes up to find out they elected him president LOL

Edited by Jack Welch (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hey John... great seeing you again! I know return trips in hot weather are miserable w/ no a/c but 'cooler' weather should be in-store! Next time you will have to stop in LeClaire IA home of the American Pickers. And, on some of the stops on Rt 66, including Pontiac, IL 66 Museum and Joliet 66 Museum.  Hopefully, catch you next years at the Ohio Nat'ls.

Only 900 miles to go 👍!!!

• Like 3

At some point there was a violent thunderstorm in Yorkville last night. I never heard it but there was some tree damage not far from where Annie was parked. It did a pretty good job loosening the paste like dirt from Nebraska. Still, I was invited to Rays ( @AquaSky67 ) place to give the car a wash. Also @NailheadBob lRobert Smukula) came over for a meet up.  It was a nice ride to Rays place.

20230729_090114.jpg

20230729_092252.jpg

20230729_092304.jpg

I got the chance to show a banner Don sold to me.  This is my 1st banner and I dont even have a wall to fit it on but I thought it made a real statement.

20230729_095547.jpg afterwards Ray took Bob and I out for breakfast, which was greatly appreciated.  Thanks Ray (center)

20230729_104343(0).jpg

• Like 14

Then I had to drive over to SouthBend Indiana for the next stopover. Here I met members @364nailhead (Richie) and @g-g-g0 (gary) for dinner and socializing.  The ride over was bumper to bumper passing through lower Illinois,  but then virtually empty on the eastbound lanes of I 80. 

20230729_144509.jpg

20230729_144506.jpgthe day was significantly cooler temperature wise which was great.

20230729_203713.jpg20230729_184651.jpg

And I really enjoyed our time together. Thanks you guys for giving me a break today. Only drove about 130 miles alltogether.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, g-g-g0 said:

A short but very enjoyable dinner in South Bend last event with John and Richie!! Hopefully we can reunite next year in Strongsville. 

John, safe travels on the remainder of you trip home!

I too enjoyed it tremendously! A privilege to meet these two fellows John and Gary!

Safe travels back home John!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

John, Scott Heise and I have been following your trip. Scott and I are meeting for lunch tomorrow and I am sure you will be a great part of the conversation. My wife says "don't live vicariously through your children". She won't be there. We will use you. And another friend who just finished 90% of RT 66.

You are in the home stretch now. It won't be long until you see that arch spanning RT 90 as you enter the home state "Welcome To New York Pay Here".

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Yesterday I drove 226 miles to Bill and Mollys place in Ohio for the overnight. At this point I am sorta done with side roads so just took the Turnpike across. Had a great time with Bill and Molly. Bill went out of his way to stage this photo..lol

20230730_170303.jpg

Now I am headed to Corning NY for my overnight tonight. Hope I can find a room there. 

• Like 16

It was a wonderful visit @NailheadBob.  I thoroughly enjoyed our time together.  And continue to be facinated by the story of your Uncle!  I trust the services for Frank were respectful too.  I  don't envy you for those duties...you're a terrific guy. 

@g-g-g0 hope you do good today with the hip.  Sending thoughts and prayers your way my Buick Brother!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Looking forward to getting home. But tonight is the last overnight and it's being spent in the town of Painted Post, tucked away in New York's Southern tier. 

Thanks once again to Bill and Molly for your hospitality yesterday. It was so appreciated!  But I took leave at 8 am as I had wanted to get to Binghamton and Google maps indicated it was a 6 hour drive. And, as anyone who uses Google Maps knows, they are unabashed liars when it comes to travel time estimates. 

So as I am cruising along on rt90, and just thinking ;Wow, I am about to get thru the Cleveland Zig- zag already, how cool! Theres the sea of red tail lights ahead.  Signs at first indicated the right 3 of 4 lanes were closed for construction. And as we crawled along numerous folks were squeezing left.  A mile later we find the left two lanes were closed for an accident. So now, ladies and gentlemen are shifting back to the right. Sweet biscuits!  This was quite the dance...

But 20 minutes later we were thru the -turns and speeding off into the East. It is amazing how much road surface there is in that area and most of it was filled. 

Around noon I stopped to gas up and have a bite to eat, and decided to book the room here.  Then I headed onto Rt 86 across the bottom half of NYS.

20230731_125736.jpg20230731_130539.jpg20230731_132230.jpg20230731_134525.jpg yep, those clouds were not just there for show. It poured on and off, typical July weather in these parts. 

20230731_155027.jpg

and,  as I  got to the 10 mile mark to the hotel, another sea of red lights. Thankfully the rest area was right there!

20230731_163517.jpg

Anyway 30 minutes later I took the hotel clerks recommendation of a local pub for dinner.  Hope I didn't celebrate too early.

20230731_183238.jpgSure wish al-ya-al coulda been here to join me!😋😋

20230731_154951.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

John, when I was in my 20s I had some close ties with the Senecas. Here is the area you are going through: https://www.alleganyhistory.org/index.php/culture/stories-and-folklore/original-stories/1118-the-forbidden-trail

(If I had kept those ties I might not have made it to my 70s)

The rest stop near Campbell is a pee stop on the way to Hershey for Rochestarians. When my son was 9 or 10 years old he was impressed that the custodian gave weather and traffic reports, as well as apples. Just south of there you come to Coopers Plains. The is an airfield full of light aircraft on the west side. Somehow the brain always thinks it says Cooper's Planes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Left around 7AM and was surprised by the cold weather and fog. Must be back in New York.

20230801_071754.jpg headed 80 miles East to Binghamton for breakfast with @KAD36(Ken).  Went to an area Linda and I stopped at a few times while living in Rochester and visiting family down state. Brought back a lot of memories. 

After breakfast a fellow offered to take our picture but it seems he was upside down.

20230801_094644.jpg

Here it is fixed I hope

20230801_094644~2.jpg

At any rate, I was glad to see Rt88 after breakfast as that meant about 2 more hours to be in my own place.  And, some more excellent views along this highway which I think is among the nicest roads in the USA.

20230801_112808.jpg20230801_113003.jpg

20230801_112655.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Sometimes I think I learn more from roadside historical markers than when I was in school

20230801_105537.jpgand at 1:29 I rolled Annie into the driveway for the last 215 miles of this trip

20230801_133652.jpg

Both glad and sad it is over. But I hope you enjoyed the ride with me. Thanks for following this thread.

20230801_105608.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Great seeing you this morning JD.   Thanks again for the ride.

To return the photo favor, here is how JD packs for vacation…trunk full to the brim of many Buick parts plus a cooler and beach umbrella or three.  The banner is awesome, pictures didn’t do it justice for the bit of it I saw.

Glad you’re back - that car sounds so smooth after the cross country run.  Best thing for it.

IMG_1982.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I'm so happy that you were able to experience a safe and memorable cross-country trip in Annie. The best part had to have been meeting friends along the way. One day I'll have to make a trip upstate and swap stories with you. Welcome home!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations, John!  There's nothing more memorable than traveling across country by car.  What an experience!  In the fifties and early sixties my dad took us family members across a few times in a fifty-six Ford Fairlane 500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I suppose a post trip analysis is in order.  But when I looked at my hotel charges alone I thought; I really don't want to know what this trip costs.

I did, however, want to know how far Annie traveled.  So from my records it was 3,004 miles to Spokane.  During Spokane and the week in Washington  it was 856 miles.  And the trip back home was 3,211 miles.   The total thus, 7,071 miles.  

I just have to wonder how much more reliable an LS engine would have been since I did use 6 quarts of motor oil in addition to the one oil change.  🤔

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1