Steering wheel spinners

Buick35

Can’t say I ever needed or desired one, but every time I shop for parts on eBay, several dozen options show up for sale.  Does anybody ever really buy those things?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buick35 said:

I saw one listed under parts for sale and thought the green might look good on my green Buick but not sure. I got a couple of Amazon gift cards for Fathers Day I could offer him.

Ask him if he'll throw in a couple of curb feelers for good measure! 😉

A family friend lost an arm in an industrial accident while on his 20s and didn't let that slow him down.  He had a necker knob on his diesel dump truck that he drove for his profession, his pickup and the family car.  I rode with him many times and he was a great driver.  He would steady the steering wheel with the clamp on his prosthetic arm when he shifted the dump truck with his good hand.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phillip Cole said:

Joel R. Thorp of Wisconsin is credited with the invention of the steering wheel spinner knob in 1936.

He stole the idea from Steam Traction Engines and Steam Rollers. Spinner knobs were a part of the steering wheel since the early days. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Akstraw said:

Can’t say I ever needed or desired one, but every time I shop for parts on eBay, several dozen options show up for sale.  Does anybody ever really buy those things?

My first wife was handicapped. As part of the stuff needed to drive a car or van part of her equipment was a spinner knob. She had a hand lever that depressed the accelerator when you pulled back on it and pushed on the brake when it was pushed forward. 

• Like 4

I installed one on my 24hp imported diesel tractor (without power steering) and wouldn't be without it now. It's very helpful in steering and allows the use of my free hand while maneuvering. 

Steering wheel on a tractor with a steering knob, conceptually showing  control, guidance and human connection Stock Photo - Alamy

Same reason I installed a "necker knob"  on my El Camino back in the day, if you get my drift.

Edited by Crusty Trucker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, 61polara said:

Most states made these illegal.  Wearing a long sleeve shirt, you can catch the knob in the shirt sleave and the result is major problems.

Is a steering wheel spinner knob illegal?

In answer to my question, our reliable and sometimes accurate friend, Google, said:

"In searching through each state's statutes, there were no laws in the 50 states banning the use of steering wheel knobs on privately owned cars. Some businesses may make their own rule on company cars or trucks. In fact, some states require the use of a steering aid for some handicapped individuals."Apr 19, 2023
  • Like 2