What unique or different engines/ unique or different cars fascinate you just for those reasons?

58L-Y8

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to What unique or different engines/ unique or different cars fascinate you just for those reasons?
29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I will participate if you change the word “odd” to unique or different..

If we use "unique" we are referring to One of One.  If we say "different," different from WHAT?  Let's see what shows up, then we can change the adjective as appropriate 🙂

• Like 4

Just now, George K said:

Touchy about semantics.

Well, actually if there is more than one it's not "unique," and there is no such thing as "fairly unique."

But usually we're happy if we don't see break/brake and axle/axel misused.

So in the spirit of the thing, Adams-Farwell Rotary.

• Like 3

I had to use google to make sure I got the name and year close to right. However, I otherwise pulled that one out of memory!

What about offset crankshafts that were tried by several people in the 1910s expecting to improve the leverage advantage over crankshafts in line with the cylinders?

I expect to see fifteen pages of unusual efforts within two weeks!

I seem to recall that Chamberlain (tractor company) here in Australia tried an engine that did away with the head and essentially used two blocks and the combustion occurred between two pistons. Have to dig in the archives to find out more.

• Like 1

Strange and obscure…… when I bought my 16 Valve 4 White, I had to edit the Wikipedia page for T head engines. It’s the only monoblock T head engine ever made. With four valves per cylinder on a 7 1/2 degree angle and detachable cylinder head are also other things that make it unique. The strange configuration allows a 5.85 to one compression ratio. 

FCF236A8-5C32-4FD3-B8CB-1D16943FF200.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 7

I have a friend who has his daughters Mazda RX-7 with the Wankel rotary engine that’s always been a bit interesting in me opinion. His daughter bought the car new but passed away young due to a genetic condition. Not only does the car hit a high school era “cool factor”, but add in the unusual driveline and it’s something that just catches the attention…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Is that the Oakland V8?

This should be an interesting and very long thread? However it seems to have wandered further afield than the original suggestion which was connected to a large horseless carriage with a two-cycle engine.

Yes, it's the Oakland/Pontiac V-8.

Here is the Chrysler Hemi V-8 notice the lifter gallery, single plane for all liters and pushrods.

Why Chrysler Hemi Engines are Superior to Other Engines | We R Mopar

Below is the engine BUICK was going to make but didn't.

image.jpeg.721f21aaa9460d7b236265bfe290d60a.jpegInside Buick's Experimental Laboratory on Wheels, the 1951 XP-300 | Mac's  Motor City Garagenotice the lifter gallery, dual plane for intakes and exhaust

Notice where the intake valves are sitting.  Exactly where the intakes are on the Buick Nail head are. The Buick Nail head brings all the valves together on the top to save production cost. Below is the production Buick,

image.jpeg.64f3b6923b9a8ce9ef922e28cc6f63ae.jpeg

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I have a friend who has his daughters Mazda RX-7 with the Wankel rotary engine that’s always been a bit interesting in me opinion. His daughter bought the car new but passed away young due to a genetic condition. Not only does the car hit a high school era “cool factor”, but add in the unusual driveline and it’s something that just catches the attention…

Back in high school, I was friends with a guy that built some great RX-7s with the 13b rotary engine.
They would spin to the moon and the only way to keep them from running lean was to mount at least a 650cfm carb on them.

Tons of power for that small car.
He could spin the tires in 4th gear just by mashing the gas pedal.
Insanely fun cars that handled great as well.

• Like 3

Rickenbacker made some nice engines for their cars.

All engines were done in house, no outside engines were used like a Continental.

Dual crankshaft balancers for a smooth running engine.

After Rickenbacker Motors folded in 1927, their tooling was sold to Renault and they continued to build engines using that design for quite some time.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/too-much-too-soon-1925-rickenbacker-vertical-eight-superfine

f1aabd6ada4acf12bb1fb97ff2716476.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since I have one in my car......the Northway 209 V8 (1916-1922) used by Oldsmobile.

Split vertically down the case center.

IMG_E2221.JPG.9f5a396081ffd2a180c1ebe1cfd322d1.JPG

Crank and cam main caps (all two of them) bolt horizontally into one case half

CrankInstalled.jpg.93f0aed432a0c7e1ced402a465d8b387.jpgFlat plane crank has external lines to pump oil from main journals to rod throws

IMG_E2298.JPG.afa4e64667a9d88cb0c3a28fd9efcbc0.JPG

Fork and blade rod construction

ForkandBladeAssembly.jpg.eb2f3ee0b43c92cfd00d19d30f244337.jpg

Very compact cylinder spacing

BlockCleanedUp.jpg.fc2aa184b4a10581db6ceff4f16826ef.jpgIgnitionwiringcomplete.jpg.56852fbd0d488b18f51e06f3d9142263.jpg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 11

Neat stuff………some of the early commercial engines are also very interesting. Anyone have photos of a Knox porcupine?

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like early engines with moving external parts. I find opening the hood and letting such an auto idle at a car show is a real crowd pleaser. Imagine folks having to get out and oil the valves every 50 to 100 miles today. 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Notice the off the shelf angle iron frame...........early cars had lots of parts of the hardware store shelf...........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

How about the three cylinder "compound" engine designed by D. Fox Graham in 1903?

Yes, named the Eisenhuth Compound engine originally wasn't it?

Edit: my mistake. It was the Eisenhuth Horseless Vehicle and later joined forces with Graham

USA - Eisenhuth Compound Eagle (1896-1909) (motor-car.net)

You might also appreciate this. 

Still trying to locate good quality photos of that engine in the Compound Car.

Off topic: I believe the Berkshire Automobile in the background is out of Berkshire Mass. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

view

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Here's one that I believe qualifies as different

View of an engineer testing control valve for water mains at Rolls-Royce Engine Test factory. The factory produced Packard Rolls-Royce Merlin XX engines. Label on back: "Deep under the foundations of the Rolls-Royce Engine Test factory, an engineer tries out a control valve handling the water mains that feed the cooling units on the testing engines. Water sufficient to handle the needs of a city of 50,000 population is required to cool each day's quota of engines as they come from main assembly to the dynamometer test blocks."

view

Albeit not automobile related, the Merlin was also a thing of beauty

view

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 6

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Notice the off the shelf angle iron frame...........early cars had lots of parts of the hardware store shelf...........

The off the shelf reference is out of focus. Carnegie first had to built steel mills and perfect the material and process so people could build the hardware and have access to structural steel shapes. Purchasing good clean steel was not like today. The ease of modern conveniences are built on the backs of hard working Americans.

• Like 2