Anonymous vehicles vs. attention-getters

Reynard

Funny thing:  I drive my 51 year old F-100 most everywhere most of the year. It still looks good in it's original paint and is otherwise well maintained as I am the original owner. Very seldom, if ever, does anyone notice or acknowledge the truck. It may as well be invisible.

On the other hand, I also drive my 55 year old Buick Wildcat Convertible (25 year old peeling re-paint, cracked and shrinking top, no back window, missing trim, sun damaged interior, plain black walls with wrong year hubcaps, - however, reliable and mechanically sound), a "50 footer", but I'm always distracted by questions and positive comments, thumbs up and waves, wherever I travel locally. 

Is it the fact that bazillions of bump-side F-100's were built and everyone takes them for granted?  Is the old Buick that unusual, or does it's rather sad condition evoke sympathy from folks?  (I hope they aren't laughing behind my back)  I certainly don't go looking for attention; I just like driving it. 

What might cause the difference in attention each vehicle attracts (or doesn't)?

I have very distinct memories as a kid in the early 70s that my dad's prewar cars would elicit call kinds of stares and comments.  These days you are practically anonymous driving around in a Duesenberg.

However,  my old man's wagon gets a crazy amount of attention which just blows my mind.  The only thing that gets more is a steam car, as the kids seem fascinated by them.

IMG_0130.JPG

• Like 5

Remember the general public does not pay attention to cars like we do. The styling of trucks does not change as much as cars. Full size trucks are still the same basic shape now as 50 years ago when yours was new. Also old trucks are not nearly as unusual on the road as old cars. Trucks are work vehicles and stay on the road longer than cars. Truck owners tolerate wear and age in their vehicle more than car owners. I also think it is a lot more common to see restored 20-50 year old trucks still in use than cars. 

• Like 1

Your old truck is just an old truck. There are plenty of them still at work, although not many early seventies models. But they were common enough just a few years ago that yours does not seem particularly old or out of place.

But a late sixties Buick convertible, for one thing it's a convertible, for another thing is far more different from the new cars. To the average person it is obviously old and unusual where the pickup isn't.

I suspect your Ford draws admiring glances from pickup truck fans, they just don't make a fuss about it.

• Like 5

60's convertible vs early 70's long bed (Im guessing) truck. . . I think it's as simple as that.

As coupes and convertibles get harder to source people turn to sedans and short bed trucks.  

9 hours ago, Reynard said:

Funny thing:  I drive my 51 year old F-100 most everywhere most of the year. It still looks good in it's original paint and is otherwise well maintained as I am the original owner. Very seldom, if ever, does anyone notice or acknowledge the truck. It may as well be invisible.

On the other hand, I also drive my 55 year old Buick Wildcat Convertible (25 year old peeling re-paint, cracked and shrinking top, no back window, missing trim, sun damaged interior, plain black walls with wrong year hubcaps, - however, reliable and mechanically sound), a "50 footer", but I'm always distracted by questions and positive comments, thumbs up and waves, wherever I travel locally. 

Is it the fact that bazillions of bump-side F-100's were built and everyone takes them for granted?  Is the old Buick that unusual, or does it's rather sad condition evoke sympathy from folks?  (I hope they aren't laughing behind my back)  I certainly don't go looking for attention; I just like driving it. 

What might cause the difference in attention each vehicle attracts (or doesn't)?

I would notice your F-100! How is it different from the old Rangers?

I can't drive my 92 Dodge Cummins without being stopped in parking lots, waved down, or given the thumbs up. One guy said he would trade his 2019 Ford diesel (probably would not) and several people have given me their number in case I sell.

A truck like mine sold on Bring a Trailer last year for 35,000. I now tell my wife I am not fixing it....I am investing in it!

Runs on 100% biodiesel.

20170217_114827.jpg.05536c4c032c0e1ed80ceef723c49f47.jpg

Edited by PWN (see edit history)

Reminds of the time I had seven people in a daily driver '96 Roadmaster wagon and folks on the highway honked their horns and waved.  I was accustomed to the attention, but my sister did not understand since no one notices her in her new Jaaag.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Must be a regional thing, what is a "Bump side" pickup? 

Bump vs Dent, the side on earlier ford trucks bump out while the newer dent in.  Body design

1 hour ago, swab said:

Bump vs Dent, the side on earlier ford trucks bump out while the newer dent in.  Body design

Never  heard this one. Been driving ford pu's for the last 40 years. We refer to them as step sides and pickups, LOL. 

I passed 3 'old trucks' on the way to the landfill this morning. 

Our world has changed a great deal over the last several decades. The car culture that we old timers grew up with has become become smaller as the general population has grown. The understanding an level of appreciation that we grew up to enjoy is just not found in the general population today. Believe me your truck is appreciated, it's just a case of the wrong audience. 

I have a reasonably nice 1994 Ford F150 FWD pickup which is my occasional work truck. The original paint still shines and the interior is still nice. I don't consider it part of my collector car stable, but I'm routinely surprised by thumbs up when I least expect it. Like sitting in the public dump line. With "Bluford" it's all about the color. Everybody seems to be attracted to the original Calypso Blue original paint.   

• Like 1

The bump sides are getting quite rare around here. They rusted quite a bit  worse than the dentsides, esp. the inner fenders where the hood hinges attach. And the cab mounts.  I have had a few of each. still have a 78 dentside that is worth bring back to life. But the bumpsides all became parts trucks 15 years or more ago. Also a 66 Mercury 1/2 ton that is reasonably decent . I have owned it for at least 35 years. Never winter driven during my ownership. But time is catching up with it. In a shed awaiting its turn in the shop.

• Like 1

Here in Western Canada people have been using this terminology for about a decade. I think it started with the under 40 year old group, but these days it's a very common way to describe them among people of all ages..

Fords equivalent to " square body " Chevy's. And it seemed to come into use around the same time.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

9 hours ago, swab said:

Term not heard in these parts of Virginia.😁 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't really have an "anonymous" vehicle now. My usual daily is the '46, and I don't think I've ever driven it that someone didn't say something about it. The '52 I am working on- same thing. But I take them everywhere- church, restaurants, hardware store, dumps, grocery shopping. My most normal car, the '98 Corvette, gets compliments everywhere I take it.  A few years ago I did still drive my dad's '06 Canyon occasionally. I pulled up to a local store (1890's general store still in operation) in it one day and the clerk did a double take. "Hey, I didn't know you had a NORMAL vehicle!!"

Oh and I've heard the bumpside/dentside descriptors too. I have a friend currently frame-off'ing  a Bumpside with his young son. They are having a ball with it, and with his attention to detail, it'll likely wind up too nice to drive. LOL

• Like 3

I took my trans am through Mcd drive through. I was right behind a lady in a beautiful brand new, still with a t tag mustang gt. She circled the lot after getting her order pulled up beside and asked if I could pull over for a second so she could get some pictures. I had to gloat about that one a bit to my wife and fellow mustang owner, LOL.

Body Architecture: a 50-year-old pickup truck doesn't differ than much from the current offerings, only by a longer four-door cab and short box.  Conversely, a 50+ year-old Buick convertible which is long, low, wide, overall squared off contrast with the sea of tall, short overall length, narrow, sawed-off angry birds plying the highways currently.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Saw this today at a benefit car show for the Veterans.    Appears to be motorcycle powered.  Very nice!

IMG_4306[1].JPG

IMG_4305[1].JPG

Fellow that did some work on some of my bikes has one of those. This is the second one I have seen now. Thanks for posting.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:49 AM, Reynard said:

That reminds me of similar experience I had - not with two vehicles, but one. Years ago, I had a '63 Olds 88 coupe that was pretty rough around the edges. It had a non original and very amateurish blue paint "job" (possibly rattle can), and a ratty interior. It ran well, though, and was a fairly reliable driver (after I had the tranny rebuilt) and was more or less straight.

To my eyes, the Olds 88 coupe was one of many truly great looking cars in GM's lineup in 1963, which was one of the corporation's landmark years in a styling sense. Nevertheless, with the poor paint job and substandard interior, I don't think I got  ever got a thumbs up or even an acknowledgement from anyone who saw it in the three or four years it looked like that. Being noticed is not why I own old cars - not even a little - which is why my favorite old car activity is driving little traveled country roads. I see old cars more as historical artifacts than rolling shrines. Still, I admit I was surprised that a car that was visually inspiring to me had little effect on others.

I had it repainted in a more era appropriate "GM white" after having some of the bodywork issues addressed. I also ordered some custom fit seat covers that somewhat concealed the shabby interior condition. These were cosmetic changes that didn't really improve the quality of the car. The paint was of the "budget" variety, but made the car look a lot more presentable at a glance. It was all enough to change the opinions of many people who saw it, though. I started getting a ton of thumbs ups and positive comments, even though it was essentially the same mediocre condition (though very nicely styled) car that it was before.

Moral: A significant portion of the non-enthusiast public is fairly indiscriminate with its praise or indifference.

• Thanks 1

My experience is that fixed up older trucks get a lot of attention and positive comments. I saw a beautiful restored '49 Chevy pick up at the auto parts store and the owner and I had a nice conversation. When I had my freshly painted '66 F250 I also got a lot of comments at stops. It was bright red, and that might have helped. I had my '96 Mustang out this weekend and it got a lot of appreciation from the techs and customers at the muffler shop, Even a few kids with a Honda and an old Nissan. These SN95 Mustangs in good original condition are already pretty rare. 

Today at Harbor Freight I saw a bright blue 88 Camaro in the lot and did a walk around. It was obviously a quickie repaint and had a few scrapes but the bright paint caught my eye. Overall a nice car, and these in any kind of decent shape are even more rare than my Mustang.