Gordon Lightfoot, R.I.P.

greenie

If you’re old enough to remember the advent of FM, 8-tracks, and (mercifully) cassette tapes- you probably remember driving something that now qualifies as an antique car- and you probably enjoyed the wonderful songs of Gordon Lightfoot. 

Gordon Lightfoot passed yesterday at 84. His later life was punctuated with serious and nagging health issues- but now he can enjoy that ultimate Carefree Highway.

We sincerely thank our Canadian cousins for their talented and gifted artist. 

I think I’ll drive the ‘69 Firebird in his honor. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

IMHO, Canada's greatest singer/songwriter, wrote his own music and had a signature voice that made his written words turn to magic. "There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run, when the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man and long before the ......."! Great Lyrics. RIP GL!

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I saw the news this morning.

Gordon was a great musician and a very talented storyteller.

I wonder if the boats crossing the lake will now add one more ringing of the bell to their toll for the Edmund Fitzgerald?

• Like 7

I was fortunate to have seen him perform live three times. In his prime twice and once in his later years, when his voice was not what it was. He acknowledged that before the performance that he had some health issues and apologized that the songs might not sound the same. Which was very admirable. We still enjoyed the show   He was a fantastic songwriter.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Last night on the local Detroit news they reported the Maritime Church rang their bell 30 times to add Lightfoot to the Edmund Fitzgerald crew.

RIP, Gary

• Like 9

18 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Last night on the local Detroit news they reported the Maritime Church rang their bell 30 times to add Lightfoot to the Edmund Fitzgerald crew.

Oh, how cool is that! I used to listen to incredible artists like Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Simon/Garfunkel, Neil Diamond and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young back in the early 1970's when my older sister would buy their records. There were so many gifted songwriters back then, and they all seemed to be on a quest to make the most beautiful music they possibly could, and they largely succeeded. How different that is from today. I remember being truly mesmerized by Gordon's songs, especially "Sundown". I loved them all, though.

• Like 4

WELL SAID  , ( cxgvd ) , he was a shared treasure from our neighbors to the north 

a story teller ,whom delivered a message which upon  time to pause and reflect

gave us an insight to our values and station in life 

Not unlike the late Don Williams he will be missed ,however much revered …….for his talent and thought provoking messages ……

• Like 3

On 5/2/2023 at 3:44 PM, Steve9 said:

My dad the history buff didn’t much care for music but loved “The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald “. RIP Gordon.

This is antique auto related I don't know the story behind it but there is a 20-25 foot long piece of anchor chain from the Edmund Fitzgerald hanging on two  large posts that blocks a driveway to a car garage in New Hampshire. Each oval link is 10 to 12 inches long, welded to the one next to it, with a split in the center. No idea what each arm weighs, but it was a unique thing to see. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 3