1931 McLaughlin 90-have to make a realistic choice ?

arcticbuicks

This is going to be a touchy subject with some on here so please read my whole post first.I got this car out of shed with 8 others ,i really like the size and look,but ,i am in central Canada where there are near no parts for this model  ,the car needs everything and the car was flooded up to the windshield for a week in a rare spring "flood" event that submerged building it was in for 50 sum years,pictures are taken at sellers house when i picked it up -now in my shed with others ,the reason the guy sold them all to me was that the engine transmission rear end steering box generator starter wheel bearings guages etc all full of water,the wood is gone and near zero interior left,I got all the lights/lenses and hubcaps but nothing really mint condition for parts to sell,being a Canadian car and here i do not think it ever saw a paved road and every chassis part is beyond worn out and gravel road hammered,i did get NOS steering wheel and extras engine parts and no crack exhaust manifold etc,it is also missing the serial number plate do to big heater through the firewall,i can maybe sell a few parts but once say a fender and things are gone then little chance the rest of the car will get used for much,i can get a generic hot rod serial number ,i am thinking a resto mod keeping the original look if it is even worth doing that,to restore i would think would be $80k and its really too far gone for the value finished ,so i am thinking hot rod which saves the car otherwise not worth doing anything with it,i classify it as a parts car looking at as far as a restoration car and if i was to part it out i am too far and shipping would be crazy cost to ever end up selling much.i did advertise it both complete and parts for nearly a year and no replies......if i did a resto mod i would do the wood replacement with steel tubing,steel floor  etc as i have seen some of the shops do this.so and its still a major job ,i would likely be $40k into doing it resto mod........so in this situation is it better or ok to do a hot rod as realistically its not worth restoring  ......thoughts ? 

Edited by arcticbuicks
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How much interchanges between Canadian and US cars in that era?  Might really limit parts availability to restore.  Next question is how do you intend to address the wood regardless of which direction you go?  You can break down the costs but either way you will be upside down - paint is paint either way.  Similarly doing a complete interior to similar quality is going to the cost roughly the same.  New wiring will be the same cost.  Tires aren't cheap either way.   I don't think that there is realistically a cost advantage going one way or the other and does either make sense or is it a really good parts car??? I drove from Woodstock, Ont to Winnipeg just to pick up the running gear and interior out of a car (30 Dodge) so don't discount how far people are willing to go for the right parts.  

• Like 2

its a good parts car.......but it would cost $600 to send a fender to the US,and if i only sold $1200 worth of parts,what do i do with the rest here,im 40 hrs from Hershey.The metal work i can have done easily by hot rod shop they just replace wood with metal,the entire powertrain was full of water,there is hardly any wood left for pattern.the serial number missing is a big one for restored value,easy to title as a hot rod though generic serial number.The rare emblem type things i may never find ?.....but yes im open to all this head scratching on this car...............and cost and time im thinking i can hot rod it for maybe $40 k and would be a grand gangster looking car,and no hold up time searching for orig parts etc,i would have to go get a powertrain in the US likely and realistically $60 k-$80k done ? original........not worth it ?

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

@ alsancle........ ok if its a parts car ,what would sell off it ? .......a buyer cannot take it to the USA with no serial number or papers.........keeping in mind shipping from here.......and it is not an american buick risking the parts being the same etc........i bought NOS 36 chev fenders and hood and few parts from southern USA and UPS on the crate with border fees was $2300.

Never ever have anything shipped by UPS to Canada - the brokerage fees will kill you.  Post the large parts on Kijiji for free and local pick up only.  Like I said I drove half way across the country to get what I needed.  The small parts are prime Ebay material.   It sounds like you have already made your mind up but I caution you to price out just a simple scuff and spray paint job these day, and this car is far from that simple.  The cheapest project is often the one that you walk away from.

• Like 1

no,i havnt made up my mind ,i tried advertising it on all sites for nearly a year and zero replies........thats why im thinking this.......the UPS was almost no brokerage fee compared to the UPS cost.............there are tons of old cars in Canada just not this model was uncommon to begin with........bodywork i do and have done for 35 years and my bud owns a bodyshop where the final paint is done proper in booth,thats the least of my worries.I would likely be $20k in chassis,$10k for interior and glass

Like most here , I’d like to see it kept original, but when you explain the unique circumstances of the car, I don’t think a tasteful modified car is such a sin. Even doing that would be expensive and time consuming. If that is where desires, time and money intersect, so be it. It is better than pushing it outside and letting it return to earth. 

I don't think restorable cars, especially rare ones, should be rodded, and I sure don't like chopped, channeled, fender-less, rusty, crusty rat rods.  But I do like resto-rods as well as stockers.  Given your situation with this, I think rodding is the best plan.  The wood aside, the sheet metal looks to be in pretty good shape.  Rodding allows flexibility in the power-train, rather than being limited to original (although I'd hope you'd stay true to the marque and use Buick 😉).  I don't think it would cost more than restoration, maybe less.  And let's face it, with few exceptions that probably don't apply to this car, rods usually sell for more than stockers.  Coupes and roadsters may be more popular with rodders but big ol' sedans are nice too.  Although I'd suggest a color scheme a little brighter than black.  I don't mean something garish like fire-engine red, but maybe a period-like two-tone.

That's my opinion but the bottom line is they can't all be saved.  It's your car to do with as you please, despite any wailing and gnashing of teeth.

• Like 1

If you do decide to go the rod route here's a 29 Hudson local to me for a little inspiration.  I might add that Brian is just a really good car guy. 

Right across the road from him is a huge stash of original cars belonging to the late Scott Kramer that some others on here may know, so yah we can all get along.  

• Like 2

Have you posted this on the Buick site? 

Buick - Pre War - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

Maybe some McLaughlin owners would have wood patterns for it or know someone who does.  It looks like the McLaughlin Club has dissolved, but the information is in the Buick Heritage Alliance:

McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada (mclaughlin-buickclub.ca)

"Then I had established a contact with David Landow. He was the President of the Buick Heritage Alliance, based in the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) Library in Hershey PA. After many discussions we decided to donate the library to the BHA. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A real dilemma given its condition and your location. The 345 ci straight eight in the Model 90 and 80 was a five-year-only engine used through the 1935 model year.  The block, crankshaft, cylinder head might be useful to someone restoring a Buick of those years.   If you decide to try to return this Buick to the road, consider finding a serviceable postwar Roadmaster 320 ci straight eight for power.  It's really up to you how far and much you put into this poor McLaughlin 90.  Good luck with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you have the time, skills and tools to turn that in to a running driving Resto Mod then I would argue the opportunity cost outweighs the results.  Better off putting those resources into something more worthwhile.  If that means giving away the car, or parting it out, or worse than you are still better off.

• Like 1

This is just one old man's opinion so it's no better then anyone else may have, so take it for what it's worth. It would be too easy for me to say that because of it's majesty and history it is all about what is best for the car, but I don't own it. The moment you undertook the custody of this special car you were on the hook for what happens to it. Some of us reading this have been hooked the same way. Whether it was because of some feeling of preservation or excitement over finding and owning a car this special, it makes no difference the result is the same. By the way I have my own demons.  

You are asking us to give you a pass, when you know no-one can give you absolution. You are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. The old car hobby has changed. Twenty five years ago this would have been considered a great restoration project. Today a Classic four door sedan has minimal dollar value regardless of condition. To add to your economic woes there is little or no demand for it's parts. Once the few parts in demand are gone you have to store what remains or scrap it. Or you could give it away.

IMHO there is little or no interest in this type of car as a street rod project. Frankly speaking it is not the right body style for a street rod or a resto-rod. Once this car is altered you have lost most of the people who frequent this forum, in fact you will have lost most of the old car hobby. The car needs to remain intact and unaltered to have any real historic interest. Good luck, keep us posted. 

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 5

How is this for a starting point?

Other than not having a wood frame body,  cars like this need EVERYTHING!

My suggestion is to advertise it and let the buyer decide if he wants to go "completely under water" with the car.

It was partially there once(sorry, poor attempt at humour).    If you flip it for a small profit the dilemma becomes the new buyer's.    It might have a home,  it needs to be advertised in the right places.   Few people probably knew it existed.    My heart is in "preservation",  but its not my car and wouldn't want to take on another project of this scope,  I stayed away from the wood frame bodies when I was looking for a Buick project.   Someone might be more than willing to travel to where you are to get this big series car.   I wonder how many 1931 90 Series McBuicks were built.

Best of luck...

20181205_190810.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks........all real good comments.......so far the best one is in mail message of a guy liking the " crossed hockey sticks on the sellers house " ......i never noticed until now lol

There are a pile of cars like this in this area and if it was a 34 Ford coupe i would have no problem selling.

All nice coments. I am subject to corrections here. Buicks were made some where on the Prarries in those days. I saw  one for sale , a 4 door sedan with a 6 cylinder overhead in the Kitchener area IN THE EARLY eighties . It needed some wood replaced . I walked away. I am almost sure there was a tag [Made in Saskatchewan] The owner and I had a conversation about that.

My thoughts would be to USE YOUR HEAD AND NOT YOUR EMOTION,  I would get more for it as scrap iron .

the Saskatchewan Regina GM plant made a a lot of GM models mostly cheaper depression models.......but not Buicks and the plant struggled and shut several times in 1930-1931 due to the great depression......from best information i have on the Regina plant,so this mcbuick would likely be a Oshawa built car

• Like 3

Unfortunately,   I assume the market for that car customized is much larger than for it restored.

BUT,  how many were built?    Which might not matter.....

Might have to find someone who's sentiment and emotions know no financial bounds.   (I resemble that remark regarding my 37 McBuick  🤔😟)

True,I think there were very few built and most certainly almost none left ,I do not see a single one [4] door in Canada on the internet or anywhere,I know of tons of guys and yards and none around ,I also ran quite a few wanted ads for parts car etc .......and nothing .The high end models here were very rare even new.There could be one collapsed to the ground sitting somewhere but chances of one being recognized now slim also.The only item i saw i can buy  is a fragile emblem that goes in front of the grille between headlights different to US Buick.

I have a friend who is now doing a 1931 Chrysler CD8 Sedan resto-mod, only started with a solid body (car found in Virginia) including 4 doors that closed solidly. Yes it will be a pricey end result, but he wanted a large 4 passenger 1930's era car he and his family/friends could reliably tour in for long distances. BTW, the original chassis and drivetrain is under my CD8 Roadster, he had a rod shop make a new chassis set up for modern drivetrain and suspension. He hopes to maintain original cars outer appearance. So I figure as long as we can collectively keep the parts of these old beasts alive the better, even if they get divvied up!  

Sitting on John B's new frame.PNG

sitting on tow truck.JPG

IMG_8391.JPG

• Like 2

nice ! ......both cars......I just saw that 'fatman fabrications' streetrod chassis complete frame and suspension manufacturer did a 31 buick 90 coupe of his own and engineered a heavy duty DOT front suspension,i have a similar shop and set up to do steel body structure VS wood 

The 2019 McBuick Club of Canada Roster showed:

A 90 series,  4 door sedan in essentially original condition at the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa.

A 95 series,  7 passenger touring in restored condition.   Of which I don't want to reveal the personal contact information for publicly.

They listed a 96C Roadster but just as "Buick",  not McBuick.  Also at the Can Sci Tech Museum.  No condition listed.

There's other Series listed as well

.....not responsible for errors, additions, deletions.   DYODD.

2 minutes ago, arcticbuicks said:

that is quick find.....so one other for sure ...... thanks,and eastern Canada which i would have suspected if any showed up

I can't imagine there will be "many".

May not even need a whole hand to count them.

I did get a basket case with this one outside collapsed to the ground mangled fenders mostly just chassis with near zero usable or needed parts,now that a couple wheels and spare holders are over onto this one,i also got 2 Marquettes in the 8 cars i bought and i can use the very similar window cranks and different things the visor is identical and the doors look the same but not needed,I see and know of a few 27 and 1928 Buicks around and one big 28 Buick sitting in a field on a farm,and a guy in town has a nice original driving big 28 or 29.......but anything 1931 is very uncommon i find

I hope that my comments didn't sound too heavy handed. Reality in today's hobby can be a bitter pill to swallow. Ed's narrative on the thriving Pierce Arrow parts business he and John have developed made me want to cry. However I know he's right because I've seen it.

IMO with the Buick the reality is even more harsh. Plenty of PA's have been saved and Ed and John have been able to tap into that network through the PAS and social networking. I don't see anything close to that happening with the 90 Buick. It seems to me that parts demand would be about what you have found it to be. The fact that it was Canadian built might help give a bit of a sentimental edge up north but provide little additional interest south of the boarder. Regardless I still think that the car needs to stay intact. 

I found the story of the guy doing the big Chrysler as a resto-mod interesting, but I don't see this as indicative of any trend. The guy is an outlier. But aren't we all outliers in the old car hobby today?