1941Cadillac Series 62 $15,000 obo 52,000 miles

(18) Marketplace - 1941 Cadillac Series 62 | Facebook

1941 Cadillac Series 62, Cavern Green with pin stripes. 51,992 original miles, beautiful Fleetwood interior (like new), runs good, newer fuel pump, automatic transmission, and original paint with some peeling. Fender skirts are stored. Walter at [hidden information]

Product photo of 1941 Cadillac Series 62

• Like 5

I have never seen such a car in real life, but this one looks huge and has an even bigger presence. The owner must have spent tons of money for the interior. Extremely nice. I am always impressed by the sheer size of these cars and their tasteful design. Prefer those curves and flowing lines much more than the boxed /squared forms a few decades later. 

I'm not really a "Sedan" guy, and already have a 1941 Cadillac convertible,

but if I didn't, then this would be an interesting proposition at an affordable price-

a quality driver

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I don’t understand why it’s still for sale.  I have the seller’s phone number.  

Maybe nobody wants to go to northern Illinois this time of the year?

At least you wouldn't need air conditioning in a black car to drive home in summer heat !

Seems straight - nothing fishy?

If I had unlimited storage and unlimited funds,

I would get it just for the halibut !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

15 hours ago, neil morse said:

This looks like a very nice car at a very reasonable price.  I would definitely be interested if I were in the market.

Indeed looks like a very nice car but when you look better it will need a paint job and thats a mayor thing .Will be very expensive .I am in Belgium and the paint costs almost as much as liqiud gold and i am afraid that i will first will have to rob a bank before I can go to pay for a quality paint job .And then it costs as much to paint a 4-door sedan as for a 2-door or a cvt .Or you can use the car in the preservation class .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, daniel boeve said:

Indeed looks like a very nice car but when you look better it will need a paint job and thats a mayor thing .Will be very expensive .I am in Belgium and the paint costs almost as much as liqiud gold and i am afraid that i will first will have to rob a bank before I can go to pay for a quality paint job .And then it costs as much to paint a 4-door sedan as for a 2-door or a cvt .Or you can use the car in the preservation class .

Rather than the expense of a restoration paint job, I would choose preservation and touch up to keep the car mostly as it is,

and just enjoy !

• Like 3

On 11/29/2022 at 9:42 AM, Marty Roth said:

Rather than the expense of a restoration paint job, I would choose preservation and touch up to keep the car mostly as it is,

and just enjoy !

Absolutely.  These are my kind of cars.  I suppose a person my age (59) could enjoy it for another 5 years as is then spring for a $12,000 or so single or 2 stage paint job.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Absolutely.  These are my kind of cars.  I suppose a person my age (59) could enjoy it for another 5 years as is then spring for a $12,000 or so single or 2 stage paint job.  

You should give this one a close look.  Tend to some things this winter and hit the streets come Spring!

• 3 weeks later...

I am happy to report that I purchased this car and would not have found it if it were not for this forum. My wife and I had been looking for something to take to shows and enjoy with the Des Moines Region AACA and this car fit the bill perfectly. We had looked at a lot of cars ( mainly Packard's) and sadly had kind of lost hope because every one we went to look had serious issues that were not disclosed. This car was close to the town we used to live in and we thought "Why not, what do we have to lose." I will say that a 41 Caddy was not even on my radar but WOW, what a great car and the seller was a true gentleman. The car was much better in person than described and I did not think that I would like it as much as I did. I sat in church Sunday morning thinking about the car after I had seen it on Saturday. I called the Seller to try and negotiate a price, and thought we would not come to an agreement but he called me back a few hours later and we sealed the Deal. Monday I drove to pay for the car and pick it up. I drove it to my storage garage where it will stay until this spring.

Walter (the gentleman that sold me the car) had the entire history of the vehicle going back to when it was new. It was in Clinton Iowa its whole life, and bought new from the Ray Dodge Motors in Clinton. The lady that purchased it was named Alma Calanan, and she was a spinster who (as legend goes) was having an affair with Ray dodge himself. Supposedly she would call the dealership and say the car wouldn't start and ask that they send Ray out to take a look. Well, the Cadillac was not the only thing Ray got running 🤣. Alma would drive the car to the Waldorf Astoria In Chicago, and stay there from time to time until she was too old to drive and resorted to taking the Train. She passed away in December of 65 and the car was purchased from her estate by Bill Powers. He was supposedly very active with the CCCA and petitioned for 1941 Cadillac Series 62 to be recognized as full classics. I have no way to collaborate this, but would love to know more if anyone knew Bill or when 1941 Cadillacs were added to the CCCA list. Walter purchased the car in July of 2001 and I purchased it December 19,2022. I am the 4th owner. 

The car came with the original owners manuals, the tool to remove the hubcaps, and then in the trunk there is the Jack and a tool pouch full of tools which I am guessing are also original to the car? I will upload some photos to better show the car. I am over the moon happy. Everything on the car works, the radio, heat, defrosters, the thermostatic shutters. It does leak a little trans fluid which I think is a pan gasket maybe? I also think it may need U-Joints. The door seals are also very dry.  I cruised home at 70 mph effortlessly and the car had plenty of power to go. It is so smooth and quiet, you almost don't even know its running. All in all a fantastic piece of Automotive History for $13K. I plan to continue to preserve and enjoy the car while maintaining its history and originality. I think the next thing for me to do is to join the Cadillac/LaSalle Club 😇

IMG_6975.jpg

IMG_6976.jpg

IMG_6979.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

IMG_6977.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

IMG_6985.jpg

IMG_6986.jpg

IMG_6987.jpg

IMG_6988.jpg

IMG_6989.jpg

• Like 13

24 minutes ago, MccJoseph said:

I am happy to report that I purchased this car and would not have found it if it were not for this forum. My wife and I had been looking for something to take to shows and enjoy with the Des Moines Region AACA and this car fit the bill perfectly. We had looked at a lot of cars ( mainly Packard's) and sadly had kind of lost hope because every one we went to look had serious issues that were not disclosed. This car was close to the town we used to live in and we thought "Why not, what do we have to lose." I will say that a 41 Caddy was not even on my radar but WOW, what a great car and the seller was a true gentleman. The car was much better in person than described and I did not think that I would like it as much as I did. I sat in church Sunday morning thinking about the car after I had seen it on Saturday. I called the Seller to try and negotiate a price, and thought we would not come to an agreement but he called me back a few hours later and we sealed the Deal. Monday I drove to pay for the car and pick it up. I drove it to my storage garage where it will stay until this spring.

Walter (the gentleman that sold me the car) had the entire history of the vehicle going back to when it was new. It was in Clinton Iowa its whole life, and bought new from the Ray Dodge Motors in Clinton. The lady that purchased it was named Alma Calanan, and she was a spinster who (as legend goes) was having an affair with Ray dodge himself. Supposedly she would call the dealership and say the car wouldn't start and ask that they send Ray out to take a look. Well, the Cadillac was not the only thing Ray got running 🤣. Alma would drive the car to the Waldorf Astoria In Chicago, and stay there from time to time until she was too old to drive and resorted to taking the Train. She passed away in December of 65 and the car was purchased from her estate by Bill Powers. He was supposedly very active with the CCCA and petitioned for 1941 Cadillac Series 62 to be recognized as full classics. I have no way to collaborate this, but would love to know more if anyone knew Bill or when 1941 Cadillacs were added to the CCCA list. Walter purchased the car in July of 2001 and I purchased it December 19,2022. I am the 4th owner. 

The car came with the original owners manuals, the tool to remove the hubcaps, and then in the trunk there is the Jack and a tool pouch full of tools which I am guessing are also original to the car? I will upload some photos to better show the car. I am over the moon happy. Everything on the car works, the radio, heat, defrosters, the thermostatic shutters. It does leak a little trans fluid which I think is a pan gasket maybe? I also think it may need U-Joints. The door seals are also very dry.  I cruised home at 70 mph effortlessly and the car had plenty of power to go. It is so smooth and quiet, you almost don't even know its running. All in all a fantastic piece of Automotive History for $13K. I plan to continue to preserve and enjoy the car while maintaining its history and originality. I think the next thing for me to do is to join the Cadillac/LaSalle Club 

\

Beautiful Cadillac!  I love everything about this story...... Beautiful car well bought, with a side dish of scandal and promiscuous woman thrown in for desert.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very nice.   The CCCA accepted 1940-1947 62 series Cadillacs in 1986.  I believe the color on your car is called Cavern Green.   If you post a photo of the data tag from the firewall we can confirm.  Your car is nicely optioned with hydramatic, fog lights, deluxe heater/defroster, back up light, radio, oil filter, full hubcaps, and skirts.   

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Very nice car, and well bought. The one drawback to a 41 Caddy………..they drive like a modern car! Enjoy!

The reason 1941 Cadillacs steer so easy is it’s the first year for recirculating ball steering gear. 

• Like 1

Glad to see that it worked out.  Most of us that post nice cars hope a forum members sees it and purchases it.  

My family spent several years in Clinton, Iowa.  I continued to monitor the car and noticed even after posting it lasted a few more weeks.  I also thought $12,000 to $13,000 would buy it.  This is my version of the old car hobby.  

If you make it to Des Moines I would love to see it.  PM me for contact information.  Thank you for letting us know.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you all very much for the kind words. I truly appreciate it. I plan to drive the wheels off in 2023 😁. I am helping with the Des Moines Concourse this year and hope to have it shown as HPOF. Thank you also for breaking down the details on the car. I was not sure what came stock and what was an add on option. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the car. I will post a picture of the firewall tag when I get down there to see it again on Monday.

I am an Industrial Arts Teacher and I teach auto maintenance and my students all asked how fast it can go. I brought a 1927 Model T Touring car into my class to show the humble beginnings of motoring in America (we spend 2 weeks going over history of the automobile and brands that have come and gone). Every student got to see how it runs and was given a ride in it if they so desired (we have a little triangular track outside our auto shop door). Well when I mentioned I purchased the Caddy, everyone asked how fast it can go knowing the Model T only does 35mph. I said "well I cruised home at 70mph in it." Many of their eyes got as big as silver dollars and everyone was amazed that in 15 years we went from a mass produced car only capable of 35 to one capable of 100. 

I do have a few questions for those that have more experience in this department. I really would love to wax/polish up the car but am really afraid of damaging the paint further, it has cracking as you can see on the back of the drivers side and in a couple other places. Is there a good way to clean up the paint without causing further harm to the paint? I do not want shiny spots and flat spots. Also, what are the rules on HPOF. There are a few things I would like to change to improve the longevity of the car such as door seals, and some gaskets that are cracked around the taillights. Would this disqualify the car from HPOF? What I have read is that it would not, but I want to verify it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MccJoseph said:

Thank you all very much for the kind words. I truly appreciate it. I plan to drive the wheels off in 2023 😁. I am helping with the Des Moines Concourse this year and hope to have it shown as HPOF. Thank you also for breaking down the details on the car. I was not sure what came stock and what was an add on option. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the car. I will post a picture of the firewall tag when I get down there to see it again on Monday.

I am an Industrial Arts Teacher and I teach auto maintenance and my students all asked how fast it can go. I brought a 1927 Model T Touring car into my class to show the humble beginnings of motoring in America (we spend 2 weeks going over history of the automobile and brands that have come and gone). Every student got to see how it runs and was given a ride in it if they so desired (we have a little triangular track outside our auto shop door). Well when I mentioned I purchased the Caddy, everyone asked how fast it can go knowing the Model T only does 35mph. I said "well I cruised home at 70mph in it." Many of their eyes got as big as silver dollars and everyone was amazed that in 15 years we went from a mass produced car only capable of 35 to one capable of 100. 

I do have a few questions for those that have more experience in this department. I really would love to wax/polish up the car but am really afraid of damaging the paint further, it has cracking as you can see on the back of the drivers side and in a couple other places. Is there a good way to clean up the paint without causing further harm to the paint? I do not want shiny spots and flat spots. Also, what are the rules on HPOF. There are a few things I would like to change to improve the longevity of the car such as door seals, and some gaskets that are cracked around the taillights. Would this disqualify the car from HPOF? What I have read is that it would not, but I want to verify it. 

I volunteer each year for the Des Moines Concours, so I am sure I will see it then. 

1st, join the CLC (Cadillac LaSalle Club)  It is only $25 a year now for an on-line version.  You get the On-Line Roster/Directory with a ton of knowledgeable folks.  Technical Advisors, etc.   

3 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I volunteer each year for the Des Moines Concours, so I am sure I will see it then. 

1st, join the CLC (Cadillac LaSalle Club)  It is only $25 a year now for an on-line version.  You get the On-Line Roster/Directory with a ton of knowledgeable folks.  Technical Advisors, etc.   

I brought a group of 10 students for the youth judging at the concourse last year and was helping in the pre-war classics myself so we may have crossed paths already and not even known it. Thank you very much for that. I will do that this week. Also, I am going to get classic insurance for the Caddy and open to suggestions if you or anyone else has any. I have Hagerty on my truck but for the Caddy they want $267 and Grundy quoted me $162. That is a big difference for the same coverage supposedly (minus Hagerty sends you a magazine 😅) I would love to hear feedback or other companies even that others have worked with.

Thanks again!

Its great that youre teaching kids about old cars, keep up the good work.

FWIW, I have Grundy on my car, I havent had to make any claims but I cant complain about them. I spoke with a rep on the phone before I signed up and they told me they encouraged people to drive their cars, they had no limitations other than it cannot be a daily driver.