1941Cadillac Series 62 $15,000 obo 52,000 miles

2 hours ago, neil morse said:

Congratulations on a great purchase!  I'm intrigued by the three-tone horn.  Is that an aftermarket accessory?  Can you tell us more about it.

Walter said it was a "Highway Horn" apparently it is incredibly loud. It does not currently work, and he said it needs oil added to the pump. It is air powered and I can hear the pump kick on but it does not blow the horn. I plan to get the information out of it when I go back on Monday and will share that here on the forum. I also will oil it and see if I can get it to make a sound. Walter seemed to think the seals were dry. Whatever I find out I will be sure to report back. I was debating taking it off because I was not sure if it was period correct but judging by the switch and the wiring it sure seems like it could be. Not to mention the canister style pump under it. I was hoping someone else might have seen one before. 

14 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Its great that you're teaching kids about old cars, keep up the good work.

FWIW, I have Grundy on my car, I haven't had to make any claims but I cant complain about them. I spoke with a rep on the phone before I signed up and they told me they encouraged people to drive their cars, they had no limitations other than it cannot be a daily driver.

Thank you very much. I still have kids that see me in the hallway and say that going to be a student Judge at the Concourse was the best experience of their life and want to get involved more with old cars. I was very fortunate to grow up around them and that is a real luxury that many kids do not have today. If your parents or grandparents were not into old cars chances are you wont get any other exposure. I think this has really opened the eyes and doors for some students. I have a senior this year that really wants to go to McPherson for automotive restoration (he previously wanted to be an architect) and he said he did not even know there was anything like this out there. 

Thank you for that feedback. I think I may go with them, I have yet to find anything negative, I was just worried about restrictions but I am glad that's not been the case. 

• Like 2

Check with J.C. Taylor -

they have served me exceptionally well for a great many years - especially after a major loss due to hurricane,

(when some others did not help our friends nearly as well).

Just my personal experience - cost is not the only important factor !!

• Thanks 1

Well I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. I was tickled to be surrounded by friends and family for a few days, and that in itself is the greatest gift. 

I did manage to get some photos of the horn and the firewall tag. The title on the car says it’s a Deluxe Touring but I always thought touring cars were convertibles (such as the Model T Touring car). Any insight that the tag can provide would be appreciated. I also took photos of the horn and it managed to find an original service document for it. It makes a buzzing noise so I think some critical Lubrication and adjustment should get it operational again. 

Finally, I have been calling around to try and find a Trans Pan gasket for the hydramatic on my car. It seems many other people have needed the same pre war gasket to no avail. After sever phone calls back and forth, it appears Olsens Gaskets will make me one and also start to offer them for those in need. 

4C6BC15B-4A40-402D-B3C6-7F6B322D6F07.jpeg

69D45116-56C5-4C3C-A993-C013E4F73DF7.jpeg

E7F81972-8553-4361-B32E-01456098D60C.jpeg

B2C7B60A-405C-4563-81EE-54E79092B9EA.jpeg

I have detailed many cars; new and old and have also owned a detail shop in a prominent business district in Los Angeles. From what I see in those pictures the paint is cracked on the right fender and the right quarter panel next to the trunk. If the paint isn't coming away from the metal bodywork on the right fender and feels solid and isn't peeling you're probably okay lightly glaze it and wax it by hand only. You might try to find and good cleaner wax for those cracking areas; I have used and liked #66 by Meguires. Thinking about it you might use the #66 on the whole car and follow it with a nice wax. Remember only apply thin coats because thick coats can be very tough to get off!

I use Hagerty Insurance and have quite happy with them. Yes they are a little more money but their customer service makes up for that!  Other competing insurance companies will put caps on the mileage the car is driven. Some companies stipulate that when you have the your car parked at a restaurant or a market or at a car show it must be in your line of sight at all times otherwise there is no coverage. Hagerty does none of that. Be careful and read the policy before signing it.  I like Hagerty for and another reason, they support the old car hobby.

Chris

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, MccJoseph said:

Well I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. I was tickled to be surrounded by friends and family for a few days, and that in itself is the greatest gift. 

I did manage to get some photos of the horn and the firewall tag. The title on the car says it’s a Deluxe Touring but I always thought touring cars were convertibles (such as the Model T Touring car). Any insight that the tag can provide would be appreciated. I also took photos of the horn and it managed to find an original service document for it. It makes a buzzing noise so I think some critical Lubrication and adjustment should get it operational again. 

Finally, I have been calling around to try and find a Trans Pan gasket for the hydramatic on my car. It seems many other people have needed the same pre war gasket to no avail. After sever phone calls back and forth, it appears Olsens Gaskets will make me one and also start to offer them for those in need. 

4C6BC15B-4A40-402D-B3C6-7F6B322D6F07.jpeg

69D45116-56C5-4C3C-A993-C013E4F73DF7.jpeg

E7F81972-8553-4361-B32E-01456098D60C.jpeg

B2C7B60A-405C-4563-81EE-54E79092B9EA.jpeg

I am happy to see these tools as i still have some of these as my father was a chauffeur from a wealthy man  in the old days and they kept the tools when the car was sold .Every 2 years they bought a new Oldsmobile .

• Like 1