Pebble Beach 2022

1937hd45

32 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I watched the auction last night, almost as good as being there. I thought the 1750 Alfa roadster sold under market value, then read its history, provenance is everything, and there were more than a few cars that were lacking it. That yellow coupe is really nice, back to the catalog to see how it did. 

When something doesn’t seem right, there is usually a reason. It’s impossible to know the real value of a particular car without completely understanding of history. And you better understand that particular marque, because the auction description is not going to tell you everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

It’s impossible to know the real value of a particular car without completely understanding of history

A.J.  your comment says it all. It is why I started the "period Photographs" thread here and have been involved in the research, reporting , and preservation of history to share with others in the Society of Automotive Historians for over 40 years and for a few decades with the another club I once was welcome in but no longer belong to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, George K said:

What are they building? Looks like a circus wagon.4A6A8B7E-6987-456A-9EA3-B0B055B402C5.jpeg.1f5ed1c7304a8efd742c3552c8a7d554.jpeg

Could someone please explain why a Model J needs a "parking brake" lever  that obscures the view of the dashboard? . Have there been total brake failures and that three foot long lever provided enough leverage to stop things, one of those questions I've had since seeing my first J in 1961. D89BBFAB-2690-4C47-AFC8-D1BC2DDEB61E.jpeg.8fda5dab67e8f9b72fc1b7e7951d21f3.jpeg

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

When something doesn’t seem right, there is usually a reason. It’s impossible to know the real value of a particular car without completely understanding of history. And you better understand that particular marque, because the auction description is not going to tell you everything.

I'd place NO value on auction descriptions. They are written to tell the potential buyer what he or she wants to hear. They only discuss the history of the car if they feel it will aid the sale and conscientiously leave out anything that might raise a red flag. And, this is not just car auctions. Virtually all auction descriptions are the same. In the case of one high-end auctioneer of antique arms I am familiar with, the fine print of their "conditions of sale" say they are only responsible for the large, bold headline...not for the description itself. READ THE FINE PRINT! Usually that headline just says what the item purports to be. So, "540K Mercedes" makes an attractive headline but beyond that they would have no responsibility.

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Also, there was a bunch of post sale transactions. So many cars are changing hands. Mecum on the other hand seemed dead. 

The mecum sale just sold the Marmon conv for 1.1

the 4door for half million

the Victoria did not sell at 450

the limo for 410

Have no idea if that is expected or low. 
dave s 

edit- the Cord and the Auburn boat tail did not sell. 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, edinmass said:

AACA forum party starting at 330, everyone is invited. Photos to follow. 

I’ll take a Woodford Reserve double please, none of that Canadian stuff for me. 
dave s 

ps - again that you all for sharing your pictures and insights for those of us less fortunate souls. 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

A.J. thanks for the photos of the "side show" of cars not on display in the "where the elite meet and greet" main show. I love the table with the award plaques as well - very cool.

the gal taking the photo of the VW decorated mini van is using a camera that is about the size of a transmission in a 4 cylinder Plymouth from the 1928 to 1932 era.

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

It is a regular Model J Chassis. Being displayed by the RM restoration shop.

I am not disagreeing but it sure looks short without coachwork. I am sure that is the optical illusion the bodywork creates.

I have to reiterate how much I appreciate all the photos and information shared here. I am glad you guys are having so much fun. Like everyone else here I am greatly looking forward to the photos from the show tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Party just finished up…….about 25 people, mostly forum members. Automotive royalty and grunts all drinking, eating, drinking, and drinking for a fantastic blow out. We had to make multiple runs to the package store……I’m proud to say the booze cost equaled the food cost. Four fifths of whiskey died to our cause……one Woodford, three Crown Apple…..yes, everyone was drinking it, and about six bottles of good red. (Beer doesn’t count.) Tom ran the grill, AJ was the kitchen crew, and mostly I ate, drank, and entertained. Diverse crowd……from twenty something’s to old guys like Grimy who is in his 80’s. I’m certain you will see photos posted later……..off to bed, and on to the show field  early tomorrow. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Love the green Lincoln but the large tan tire covers interrupt the flow of the whole styling of the car and gives a viewer a bullseye to focus on. If the tire cover was a complimentary color - another green ( medium or darker then the car color, not the same as the wheel color ) it would work so much better.

The whitewall tires work well as a "base" for the car to sit on and around and the fact that the wire wheels were not plated is a big plus.

Compare the flow of your eye/vision between the green open Lincoln and the town landaulet all in black with tire covers that do not interrupt the flow.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5