Detroit Concours questions

Bhigdog

Just got an EMail regarding the Detroit concours. It appears this was the Meadow Brook, a real first class event. Then it sort of morphed into the Concours of America, still a class act. Now my impression is that Hagerty has taken on the event. My further impression based on the web site is that it has devolved into a commercial enterprise. The web site really would not say much unless I gave up my name and Email and started an account of some sort.

Anyone have more info?..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

From my understanding, Hagerty purchased the rights to the what was the Meadowbrook Concours that went to Concours of America, and now changed again. 

The Hagerty Detroit Concours event is scheduled to be held in the downtown/uptown area of the Detroit Institute of Arts, Main Detroit Library on Woodward Avenue and the surrounding area.  Different venue from previous years.

The Concours is scheduled to occur during the time of the North American International Auto Show | North American ... Which moved from January to September this year.

Time will tell how this new venue turns out.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hagerty did take ownership of this event from what I read in their magazine.  Cars are supposed to be displayed outside of the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA).  The DIA has a small parking lot behind it on John R, but you have to cross this busy one-way street to get to it.  Maybe 100 cars can fit in it and the spaces are ridiculously narrow.  Maybe they intend to close the street to traffic and park on the street.  I don't know how they plan to secure the area to force spectators to pay admission, but I'm sure they've figured it out by now.  Parking for car trailers might be a problem.

I am not familiar with the area, but I was told they were shutting down the two lane street in front of the museum. This was ongoing and fluid , but my last understanding is that is what is occurring. I may be misinformed or have old information. I do know that the field is full and there are a bunch of great cars attending. 

If Woodward is a major thoroughfare that would cause a traffic nightmare, that is the one they were trying to close. What the ultimate result is, I do not know.

As I recall, Woodward is three lanes in each direction plus a dedicated left turn lane and parking at the curb on both sides of the street - for the most part.  It is one of the busiest streets in SE Michigan.  The logistics were worked out for the 2006 Super Bowl, so some lessons would have been learned from that.  It's a quality show and museum.  

36 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

So, Hagerty is buying another event. Wonder how many the need?

Terry

Answer is probably all of them………

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

No lawn, a concrete city street, NASCAR street racing in Chicago, glad I got to see the hobby in the 1970's. 

True, but at least there is an event in a city. They all should not be located at country clubs.

Meadowbrook and St John's were both on grass.  Shutting off Woodward does give a wide space, but it is all paved.  That part does seem a step backwards.  Most of the parking at St John's involved a shuttle already, so I imagine that may continue, although there is some decent public parking near the DIA.

At the risk of getting some flack, the attraction of St John's, like Meadowbrook before it, was the quality of the cars and themes.  Need to keep it from becoming a "rods and used Corvettes" mess like Woodward Cruise.

• Like 2

I showed several times at Meadowbrook and enjoyed the venue but things change.  Many of us our resistant to such changes as we love the familiarity of these events.  However, in the landscape of these kind of events continue to change so naturally alternatives have to be found.  While we were very successful with the Elegance at Hershey it became to difficult to raise the kind of money needed to not only run the event but to make enough profit to donate a significant amount of money to our charities.  We were able to donate a $1,000,000 in 9 years but in end the hand writing was on the wall for the future.  Having an event at a country club or high end hotel property comes with a huge cost!

I will be at the Detroit Concours and hope that it will be a great event.  Think we need to give them a chance to show us how to put on an event in a major city before forming any opinions.  I am expecting a great field of vehicles!

• Like 5

Hagerty owns The Amelia Island Concours, Greenwich Concours and the now Detroit Concours, perhaps others.  I don't know what Hagerty's end game is buying these events but I doubt it is to make money as there are better investments.  The sad thing about the moving this one to Detroit is that they left a really nice venue which had other attractions.  I have been to big shows in Detroit, sorry it is not a great place.  Everyone focuses on the money angle (making money) which is important to be able to do charity work but they better focus on the participants as well.  The cost to take a car to these events is substantial and most of the people I know that take cars regularly like a resort style atmosphere.  With that the spouses can enjoy the trip and we can pretend it is a vacation and put all the work it takes to get there out of our minds.    

• Like 1

I like Detroit. I think it's a cool city with a lot of history and if Hagerty thinks they can make something work downtown, I say go for it. Detroit needs to get back on its feet and events like this could certainly help. As car enthusiasts, we should be all about the Motor City and hoping for a comeback. I'm not sure that Hagerty has the science of running a concours down pat yet, but if they're willing to spend their money to make events like this happen that will draw people from all over the country (or world) then why not support it? I've long thought Meadowbrook/Concours of America was the most accessible of the high-end concours so hopefully this will continue the tradition of quality at a reasonable price. It's in my back yard, so I'll certainly be there.

• Like 6

I worked for Burroughs Computers when I first got out of college and Detroit was the training center. They put us up in the Sheridan Cadillac hotel right downtown.  Detroit in the early 70’s was not a great place  but we had a great time. Friday night jazz bands on the top of the Fountain hotel (?) a great place called Jim’s garage. If it’s still there and the neighborhood hasn’t gone to being too bad go. 
Detroit deserves a break and all the help it can get. It seems they are trying. 
dave s 

14 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I showed several times at Meadowbrook and enjoyed the venue but things change.  Many of us our resistant to such changes as we love the familiarity of these events.  However, in the landscape of these kind of events continue to change so naturally alternatives have to be found.  While we were very successful with the Elegance at Hershey it became to difficult to raise the kind of money need to not only run the event but to make enough profit to donate a significant amount of money to our charities.  We were able to donate a $1,000,000 in 9 years but in end the hand writing was on the wall for the future.  Having an event at a country club or high end hotel property comes with a huge cost!

I will be at the Detroit Concours and hope that it will be a great event.  Think we need to give them a chance to show us how to put on an event in a major city before forming any opinions.  I am expecting a great field of vehicles!

Steve, I completely agree.

Having been involved in a variety of capacities with this show since 1997, I think the change is not only welcomed, but severely needed.

The problem with most concours is they do not think "out of the box" and become stale, boring, and have become completely unviable for a variety of reasons. In recent years, most concours have died because they haven't changed.

Combining this show with the Detroit Automobile Show (www.naias.com) which also opens this weekend is a fantastic idea. Lots of motoring things to see and do in the Motor City.  I predict it will be a great weekend for car enthusiasts. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Only spent time in downtown Detroit once. During the CCCA annual meeting and I gave a talk at the Creative Institute there ( Old GM design HQ building) which had turntables in the floor to let a car sit on and be viewed while turning around. ( cars would come up to the floor in a freight elevator strong enough to carry a V16 Cadillac. ) Matt Harwood and Melanie were at that annual meeting , it is where I first was able to say hello in person to them. All this before my departure from CCCA at the President's request because of my health issues.  Good times then with that club never to be seen again.

Having worked for GM and among the places I worked including having an office on the 13th floor of the old GM building Detroit is really not that bad of a town, especially for car people. 

All summer long the weeks and weekends are filled with overlapping venues that you and your car be a part of.  There is a venue for every type of car and car interest.

Most of Detroit is reasonably safe.  A local police officer told me one day that if your are not dealing with drugs, sex, or money the probability of getting into trouble is slim.  Just use common sense like in any other big city.  I personally have no trouble travelling around the city during the day and some other places at night.  I am in Detroit usually once or twice a week for car and other activities. Just don't be stupid.

Some of the biggest car parties are in August.  You have The Woodward Dream Cruise in the area north of Detroit, Back to the Bricks in Flint, and the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village the first weekend after Labor Day.  There is something for everyone.

If you are a car person, Southeastern Michigan is a great place to live.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

I agree we'll need to see how it goes.  Belle Isle seems a better downtown location to me, but what the city is willing to do enters into all this.

Belle Isle is now a Michigan State Park.  The Detroit Grand Prix is moving from the island back to the streets of Detroit next year.  I do not know if that would work.

All,

I’ve been asked to bring my 1923 Kissel Gold Bug Speedster to this Concours and I’ve accepted. 
I understand that they are planning a full weekend event with a “Concours de Lemons” on Saturday and the formal Concours on Sunday. Details are on their website. They are closing Woodward but I’m not familiar with the times nor extent of street closures. The streets in that area can support rerouting traffic in my opinion.

Downtown Detroit is certainly a far cry from Meadowbroook and St. John’s where we have exhibited in the past. As a decades long area resident, Detroit today is a different, much more vibrant city than it was ten years ago and certainly opposite of its poor images from twenty and thirty years ago. 
   While It’s unclear how this deep downtown event will go, let’s give them a chance to make it a great success.  
  See you there!

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P. E.

• Like 2

Somehow, I am going to miss all the shops on Michigan Avenue that I would frequent back in the 80’s.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

All - there is another thread now going with pictures of the Detroit “Concourse”. Regardless of spelling, yesterdays show was pulled off well in my opinion. Yes they had too few toilets and some disorganization, but you can’t beat a car show on Michigan Highway 1 - Woodward, for getting the motor city involved .

here are pics including my brother and sister in law.

I liked it there.

Ron Hausmann P. E.

1997AC14-1CEF-4B86-9056-BB8AFCB79178.jpeg

5C7AB743-0C0C-4B38-991F-17FF67821D4F.jpeg

F53F515C-1866-4CA6-947E-D16C79F11E31.jpeg

BDCD86AA-EC0B-40A6-A0C6-4EA5420F6CFE.jpeg

• Like 1