Car related trivia

a griffin

19 hours ago, Pfeil said:

These questions are too arcane, but I'll give it a try.

Morris Garage

No provision for full flow oil filter on block

rt=brake, reverse middle, left= shift hi-low

The Chevrolet V-8 post caught my attention. The engine was introduced in 1917, and was around in 1918 and 1919. If you want to check it out it was in the VCCA publication Generator & Distributor, October 2011, Vol 50 number 10. The engine displaced 288 cubic inches. Needless to say I was quite surprised when I read the article, so I saved that copy.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, Marty Roth said:

Columbo's car was an intentionally ratty-appearing Peugeot 403 Cabriolet, sometimes guarded by his adopted dog

In one episode he makes a comment about his car, something to the effect of 'its just transportation, my wife drives the good car'.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:56 PM, Pfeil said:

Why was Columbo intentionally ratty-appearing?

I can only suggest a personal opinion about Columbo's appearance. His car was a bit raggedy, he usually wore a trench coat that was a bit raggedy, his tie was a bit out of kilter, and so on; I don't think that he took notes when talking to the suspects. So his overall disheveled look would give criminals the idea that he was not too bright or organized and felt he wouldn't figure out who done it, and thus could get away with their crime. However he usually got to them with his "oh by the way, just one more thing." And not longer after that comment he wrapped up the case, of course in the very last minutes of the show.

• Like 1

Actually in the few instances that he takes his overcoat off, he is wearing a suit and tie and not all that disheveled. One episode 'his wife bought him a new coat'. He hated it and kept leaving it behind, his underling kept retrieving it much to his chagrin.

Which competitor of Ford, initially built and supplied major components to Ford for construction of the Model T? Answer: Dodge Brothers. Later to become part of the Chrysler company.

What car did Harry Truman drive back to his home in Independence Missouri from the Whitehouse, when his presidency ended in 1953? Answer: a new 1953 Chrysler New Yorker.

Henry Ford did not invent the car, however what did he and his team invent and strive to perfect? Answer: The mass producing, moving assembly line.

9 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

eXtra Luxury

From Wikipedia:

For 1962, the Galaxie name was applied to all of Ford's full size models, as the Fairlane name was moved to a new intermediate model and Custom was temporarily retired. New top-line Galaxie 500 (two-door sedan and hardtop, four-door sedan and hardtop, and "Sunliner" convertible) models offered plusher interiors, more chrome trim outside, and a few additional luxury items over and above what was standard on the plainer Galaxie models. Base Galaxie models were available in two- and four-door sedans as well as the plain Ranch Wagon. In an effort to stimulate midseason sales, Ford introduced a group of sporty cars along with a "Lively Ones" marketing campaign. These models featured the bucket seats and console that were popularized by the Chevrolet Corvair Monza, and included a Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe, and a Falcon Futura. The full-size line was available with new bucket-seats-and-console "Lively One," the Galaxie 500/XL (two-door hardtop and convertible). Ford stated in its sales literature that XL stood for "Xtra Lively."

From VEHQ.com:

The XLT is a trim level in the Ford truck line and means "Extra Luxurious Truck." However, you will find that the XLT trim package comes second to the base trim XL in the Ford truck line. The term XLT dates back to 1970 when the Ford Ranger's top trim package was the XLT.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Name the American manufacturer of V-8 engines of the early 30's that had OHV's???? Anyone?

Are you thinking of the OHC Wills St.Clair?  Or Chevrolet? Both predated the 30s. There were OHV V12 and V16s in the 30s but can't think of a V8.

You do not specifically say so but do you mean cars?

21 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Are you thinking of the OHC Wills St.Clair?  Or Chevrolet? Both predated the 30s. There were OHV V12 and V16s in the 30s but can't think of a V8.

You do not specifically say so but do you mean cars?

No, talking about early 30's. Chevrolet, Wills St.Cair would be 20's.

An overhead valve (OHV) engine is a piston engine whose valves are located in the cylinder head above the combustion chamber. This contrasts with earlier flathead engines, where the valves were located below the combustion chamber in the engine block. This does not mean they can't be horizontal.

image.jpeg.67fe59dfce584d4250e44b341f19672e.jpeg

Viking - Defunct GM brand - General Discussion - Antique Automobile Club of  America - Discussion ForumsThe Oakland V-Eight. When most Pontiac fans are asked what year of Pontiac  first had a V8 motor, most will respond PDF Free Download

Notice the valve chest that is cast into the top of the block and the compound angles of the block and head mating surfaces.V-8 with horizontal valves? - What is it? - Antique Automobile Club of  America - Discussion Forums

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

On 7/18/2022 at 3:56 PM, Pfeil said:

Why was Columbo intentionally ratty-appearing?

It was intended to mimic Columbo's disheveled personal appearance,

and ostensibly so that the person being investigated might feel Columbo might be a Bumbling, less effective investigator,

at least in my opinion.

I tell people that the Model T Ford has no gear shift (all the gears are always in mesh) but three clutches: low and high (left pedal) and reverse (middle  pedal).

Cadillac and Oldsmobile also built model Ts.  Until Henry's car became iconic, there was nothing special about the letter T except that it was the next letter after S.

• 2 weeks later...

Ho-kay. 3 days and no one has guessed. Introduced late 1959 for the 1960 model year.

The same Delco training manual included service info for Twilight Sentinel for all series 1960 Buicks. Like most, I figured Cadillac got TS first, but per that training manual, it was exclusive to Buick in 1960.