Awful Yellow 1935 Ford Cabriolet

Hudsy Wudsy

Here's a link to a MN auction for a '35 Ford Cabriolet that is going on right now, and will close this evening Wed 7/6/. I'd be tickled if one of you were to buy the car, but that's not my reason for posting it. I just wanted to point out what I think is the most miserable yellow color that I've ever seen in my life. I normally like yellow well enough, but this one is atrocious. Auction site ( Farmington, MN) :Bid-2-Buy 

Normally you can make yellow by mixing red and green, but clearly other things went into this batch of Devil's pee:

WebCoverImage.jpg?1654959072

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Normally you can make yellow by mixing red and green...

I don't mind that shade of yellow.  That's why car companies

should offer a wide range of colors, to satisfy every taste.

But could that yellow have been a factory offering?

Red and green paints, mixed, create brown.

But I understand that red and green lights, mixed,

create yellow light.  I've never tried mixing lights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Here's a link to a MN auction for a '35 Ford Cabriolet that is going on right now, and will close this evening Wed 7/6/. I'd be tickled if one of you were to buy the car, but that's not my reason for posting it. I just wanted to point out what I think is the most miserable yellow color that I've ever seen in my life. I normally like yellow well enough, but this one is atrocious. Auction site ( Farmington, MN) :Bid-2-Buy 

Normally you can make yellow by mixing red and green, but clearly other things went into this batch of Devil's pee:

WebCoverImage.jpg?1654959072

Must have been the sales manager's car for a mustard company.

• Haha 2

Okay, Been a long time, but I am supposed to know this a bit better.

Color to the eye is a complicated mix of several things, some physical laws, others pure perception. In any sense, it is all an illusion! (Manufactured in the brain.)

Mixing colors works TWO ways! I know this from having worked with color video systems. For the life of me right now, I do not recall which is which, and when I tried to google it about a year ago, I got no help whatsoever. 

Mixing paints, other things, works one way, mixing light works the other way. One is called "color additive" mixing of colors. The other is called "color subtractive" mixing of colors. Most people are familiar with mixing colors with things like paint. Used to be every first grader was taught about this. Mixing colors by light is something mostly known to people dealing with technologies using light to create images. Old style color televisions used red, green, and blue, pixels, controlled by the cathode ray guns to create the full visible spectrum (or at least most of it?). While paints use the three "primary" colors (red, yellow, and blue) to mix the full visible spectrum. In one way, the colors add to each other the colors of the spectrum that is taken away from the full spectrum of white light. While the other adds to what remains after the subtractive method has removed those colors.

The bizarre thing is, that one does not actually "see" a color! The eye captures the absence of the color, and the brain interprets that in the visual cortex to create the illusion of "seeing" it.

As I am writing this, I am beginning to pull it out of the deep recesses of seminars over thirty years ago. I "think" mixing paints is the color subtractive method, while mixing light (what the eye sees AFTER the paint has removed the specified color!) is the color additive method. (I did get the answer right on the tests after completing the seminars!)

When you "see" yellow? The color yellow is actually missing from the light that hits your eye. This is where "perception" come in. Millions of years of evolution have built a system to quickly impart information helpful to survival by creating these images in the brain. We are born with certain levels of ability, and during our first months out in the world, our brains learn how to interpret what our eye "sees".

I often wonder what the universe REALLY looks like to the gods?

Don't you just love following me down some of these rabbit holes?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Enjoyed Wayne's monolog and his note that yellow is indeed a primary color, i.e. along with the two other primary colors red and blue it is not a mix of anything. However, one can take blue and yellow to make green. Or red and yellow to make orange, or red and blue to make purple. For ease of brain comfort I will not get into what black and white are! The OP Ford has an interesting shade of orangey/brownish yellow, like a cigarette cream common of the late 30's. I don't mind the color at all, looks very nice with the brown upholstery and tan top. All in the eye(or mind Wayne) of the beholder.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Hudsy Wudsy, this is one of your photos, seems about same color as your original post. Maybe the red wheels change the look?

1935 Ford phaeton 4door convertible.jpg

You're right, it does look like it is the same color. Maybe the difference is lighting, or maybe the subtleties of some screw-up in the mixing of toners. At least in the particular lighting, I don't find this one as offensive. 

7 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Well, apparently the cabriolet sold for $26,250 and the coupe sold for $14,250.

Were these good running cars?  Prices seem to have dropped on these a lot from previous years.  I would have jumped on them at that price.  

13 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Normally you can make yellow by mixing red and green...

Not that I'm aware of. Yellow, red (magenta), and blue (cyan), are the Primary colors that make up all of the colors you see. If you mix them equally, you get almost black.

13 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I just wanted to point out what I think is the most miserable yellow color that I've ever seen in my life. I normally like yellow well enough, but this one is atrocious. Auction site ( Farmington, MN) :Bid-2-Buy 

Its not my first choice of color on a '35 Ford, or anything from that year, but the most disgusting shade of yellow has to be the one used inside and out on the 1977 Chevette 'Sandpiper' edition:   https://barnfinds.com/sandpiper-special-1977-chevrolet-chevette/  

Craig

11 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Not that I'm aware of. Yellow, red (magenta), and blue (cyan), are the Primary colors that make up all of the colors you see. If you mix them equally, you get almost black.

Forgive me. I'm wrong here. Mixing red and green light makes yellow.

While the color yellow is in the discussion, the range of yellow goes a long way. When I restored my 31 chevy, the fenders had been painted a “Georgia red” brown color meant to represent the “fawn brown” used in 31. I tried matching it to all kinds of browns with no luck and while at the paint shop, I pulled out all my paint paperwork that came with the car. It is a two tone, 1931 paint code 81. Coffee cream, fawn brown, with swamp holly orange wheels. I had the numbers of the dupont chroma premier paint for the coffee cream which is actually the same as Mercedes’ tan and had a few other numbers listed but one was black, another red oxide, and the other yellow. These were scribblings on a piece of paper and didn’t pay them much attention but when I said yellow was listed the paint guy said to give him the number. As he started flipping through the yellows and heading closer to the number, you could see the color changing from bright yellow to a very lightly yellowed brown. When we arrived at the number we realized my brown was actually a yellow tweaked with a few grams of red oxide and black!

At first look I would not call that car yellow. I saw it as cream, and I like it. Even the venetian yellow in the colour card looks good to me. I typically (and seem to be alone) like white wall tires but in the case of the original posting, black tires may be better and even a change of wheel colour may help. Overall its a good looking car.

51464599676_bf15cbcbcd_c.jpg2021-09-13_08-37-32 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Sorry for posting a pic of a hot rod, but to me this is Yellow!

6 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Forgive me. I'm wrong here. Mixing red and green light makes yellow.

That's not right, either. As a primary color, yellow makes yellow. You can change the type of yellow by adding red and/or blue.

He is referring to the visible light spectrum, (ROY G. BIV), not color printing.  In visible light, yellow falls between red/orange and green on the electromagnetic spectrum.

Craig

I'm no expert on light, but evidently mixing red and green

light really does make yellow.  Stagehands could tell us more.

It was a surprise to me, but for light, the primary colors are

NOT blue, red, and yellow.  They are green, blue, and red.

According to Encyclopaedia Brittanica, quoted on the internet:

"Green, blue, and red are the primary colors of light.  A mixture

of two primary colors of light can make cyan, yellow, or magenta.

A mixture of all three makes white."

Clearly, to paint a Ford white, we wouldn't mix 3 primary colors!

But we all probably know that colored lights, put together,

produce the white light we typically see.

junk--colors of light.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I had to get my head wrapped around that at an early age when Zenith was promoting their 'Chromacolor' picture tube, and why the electron guns were blue, red, and green.  I had in mind it should have been yellow, as my art teachers from years before explained and showed one mixed blue, red, and yellow to achieve other colors.  Finally, I saw an excellent film on mixing paint vs. mixing light which explained why its different.

Craig

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I'm no expert on light, but evidently mixing red and green

light really does make yellow.  Stagehands could tell us more.

It was a surprise to me, but for light, the primary colors are

NOT blue, red, and yellow.  They are green, blue, and red.

According to Encyclopaedia Brittanica, quoted on the internet:

"Green, blue, and red are the primary colors of light.  A mixture

of two primary colors of light can make cyan, yellow, or magenta.

A mixture of all three makes white."

Clearly, to paint a Ford white, we wouldn't mix 3 primary colors!

But we all probably know that colored lights, put together,

produce the white light we typically see.

junk--colors of light.jpg

That's filtering, not mixing. The green is filtering out the red (or the red is filtering out the green).

14 hours ago, West Peterson said:

That's not right, either. As a primary color, yellow makes yellow. You can change the type of yellow by adding red and/or blue.

Hmm, I see you never worked on color TVs. We had Red, Green and Blue electron guns hitting red green and blue phosphor dots in ratios to make ALL the colors! In this case, all three made white, black was simply no electrons hitting any phosphor.

Light vs paint is a BIG deal!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, West Peterson said:

That's filtering, not mixing. The green is filtering out the red (or the red is filtering out the green).

Hmm, not following. Filtering made the red green and blue light coming through three filters from white emitting lamps, but, then when these three filtered colors are focused on the same dot, makes white light. Seems like MIXING of three colors of light to me.

technically, The color the human eye ‘sees’ is the reflected color of the object. 
white reflects the full spectrum ( all colors are ‘there’).

black is the absence of color or rather absorbs the entire spectrum.

if an object appears say red, it absorbed all color EXCEPT red - red is the reflected color. 

optics are an amazing field of study. A bit of trivia: LASER ( most know what it ‘is’) is an abbreviation for Light Amplification for the Spontaneous Emission of Radiation.  Getting all the wavelength into constructive interference. 

• Like 1

Give the guy who painted that car a break!.   He paid a price at the auction for rhis poor choice of color on that car.

If he was happy, that's all that counts.   I hope you wouldn't say his wife was the ugliest woman you ever saw.

You might think it, but neither is a nice thing to say.