1957 Chevrolet - HOT or HO-HUM

The question is will there be a need that generation at that time to connect to the past as we do? I am sure we are due for slew of negative answers to that question, but nobody knows what the future holds or how anyone will think at that point in their life.

• Like 1

There are old casars and then there are really special old cars.   Years and Models that stand out, include: IMHO.

1914 Model T Ford Touring

1930 Cadillac Roadster

1934 Fords"", all models

1934 Chrysler Airflow Coupe

1940 Ford Coupe

1941 Cadillac Series 60

1957 Ford Thunderbird

1957 Corvette**

1957 Porsche Speedster**

1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air 2DHT

1958 Eldorado Biaritz""

1959 Cadillac 4DHT (Flat top)

1963 Corvette Sting Ray

1965 Ford Mustang Pony Conv.""

Edited by Paul Dobbin
Added IMHO (see edit history)

Just look at any of the English or European old car sites or magazines. Thousands of non - North American old cars that many on this Forum probably have not even heard of. But they regularly sell at prices that would astonish many on here. And in many cases , simply knock your socks off . Plus loads of small outfits turning out parts to keep them running / in use . Do you really think that level of interest is going to evaporate in a decade ?

No offense Paul, but your list barely scratches the surface if looked at on a World Wide , hobby wide basis.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

While I would not go out of my way to own a Tri-Five, I do appreciate the timeless styling they have.

Once prices come down some, they would be a great car for an inexperienced or new hobbyist due to parts availability.

Years ago I would have never dreamed of owning a Ford Model A but once I retire I may just pick one up and make it my daily driver.

Parts availability is a no brainer and I would still get to be in a pre-war car.

I'll continue to drive my other pre-war cars but I wouldn't worry about breaking something while out in a Model A.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

There are old casars and then there are really special old cars.   Years and Models that stand out, include:

1914 Model T Ford Touring

1930 Cadillac Roadster

1934 Fords, all models

1934 Chrysler Airflow Coupe

1940 Ford Coupe

1941 Cadillac Series 60

1957 Ford Thunderbird

1957 Corvette

1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air 2DHT

1958 Eldorado Biaritz

1959 Cadillac 4DHT (Flat top)

1963 Corvette Sting Ray

1965 Ford Mustang Pony Conv.""

Mr. Dobbin, aren’t you perhaps confusing "really special" and popular ?

In my mind, former is usually something low production, rare, unique, often difficult/expensive to obtain & maintain (think Duesenberg, Ferrari, Holsman, White, etc) while latter is usually more common, manufactured in larger quantities, readily available, easily & inexpensively obtained/maintained/etc, like many of your (or all my aforementioned) examples.

OTOH, for most people, the old car they desire, have or fondly remember is “really special”.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Time and experience usually changes a person's tastes and preferences. We all remember the trite phrase. "Been there, done that." But it IS true isn't it? A mature enthusiast has been around for many phases of the hobby and has participated in different aspects over the years. I think that we all value the things that we experienced in our youth. I was born in '54 but grew up in the '60's. When I became involved in cars '50's and '60 's models were plentiful. My Son is in his early 30's and he is a car and motorcycle enthusiast. He appreciates older cars but he is much more interested in later models. He said that '50's cars remind him of those caricatures that Chevron used in their advertising back in the '90s. Most vintage and muscle cars are just too expensive and impractical for his life. He did have an interest in early Datsun Z cars which we both shared when he was younger. He was an avid and dedicated motorcycle rider but he never shared my interest in Harley Davidsons. Again, too expensive, and unsuited for his life. He currently has an older Porsche Boxster after a couple of Acuras. I also find that vintage cars are more expensive than I want to pay, and find that newer models deliver a better value for me. I appreciate all types of cars but I find more interest in less popular original or restored models. I think the Tri Five Chevys are fine, though I had a '56 and '57 Cadillac instead. I now find myself as a later model Mustang fan, though my favorites will always be the '69 and '70 fastbacks.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TTR said:

OTOH, for most people, the old car they desire, have or fondly remember is “really special”.

Now that's; true, but rare doesn't make them special to me.   Lot;s of cars are rare because people didn't like them enough to buy them when they were new.   Old Yugos; are now rare too., but not special to me.

I do agree that over exposure, especially to the '57 and Mustangs/Camaros are the last things I'll look at at a show.  I'm still drawn to the '55 because I find them the 'purest' of the Tri-Fives (hard to beat that simple Ferrari egg crate grill) and you don't see nearly as many of them at shows.  

You asked for our opinion so you'll get what you asked for.  Probably not like the guy who posted the Cars For Sale post that you felt the need to comment on.  He likely didn't care to know how you felt about '57 Chevys, nor did anyone else who was drawn to that post looking for a '57 Chevy.   You are clearly entitled to your opinion, and many people may hold the same opinion as you.  But was that really the appropriate place to air your unsolicited opinion?

Having never been a big Tri-5 Chevy fan even as a teen I say Ho-Hum. I liked the Ford's of that era and had quite a few of them. They were dirt cheap and plenty of them. Now I prefer the Mercury's as I get older. I still want a 1957 Meteor Rideau 500 as that was my 1st car. Canadian only production Ford in Merc chrome. This one is for sale locally, but I just got rid of 3 vehicles and bought a 1971 Cadillac CdV that I've wanted for 20 years!

May be an image of car

• Like 2

At the last 2 swap meets I've noticed a number of Tri 5's for sale. Mostly project cars, including a 57 BelAir convertible for $10,000 CDN dollars. Been for sale for at least a month and no takers. Projects have really dropped in price.

I'm certainly done buying anything that needs any welding or major work.

This original paint 1971 Cadillac finally came up for sale that I have known about for 2 decades. The owner who was my age passed away and I was reluctant to bother his wife about it. Finally his daughter put it up for sale as her mother is downsizing and I was 1st there with the money.

Can't believe this is 51 yrs old! But it's not a project and is turn key. Was able to sell my 52 yr old Chevelle project as I'm done crawling under cars!

jun6cadi 098.jpg

• Like 6

In keeping with the theme, but reading about the butchered studebaker in another thread, when my buddy Dan was looking for a 57 I was keeping an eye out for him. I found one sitting in front of a local scrap yard and called him right away. Upon closer inspection with Dan (that knows 57's far better than myself) he quickly pointed out that it was a 4 door sedan that had the back doors welded in and bondoed over. Good enough to fool me but not someone that knew what to look for. Shame was, it was pretty much free of rust.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Luddy said:

Having never been a big Tri-5 Chevy fan even as a teen I say Ho-Hum. I liked the Ford's of that era and had quite a few of them. They were dirt cheap and plenty of them. Now I prefer the Mercury's as I get older. I still want a 1957 Meteor Rideau 500 as that was my 1st car. Canadian only production Ford in Merc chrome. This one is for sale locally, but I just got rid of 3 vehicles and bought a 1971 Cadillac CdV that I've wanted for 20 years!

May be an image of car

I agree about the attraction of the Canadian only Fords / Mercs . Thinking back to the days of my youth in the later 1960's , early 1970's they seemed reasonably common. Out here on the West Coast they are quite rare these days.  The only one I own is a 1966 Mercury M 100 Custom Cab. Currently doing a frame swap to a 1975 F 150. I use it as a truck so the dual circuit disk brakes and Saginaw steering will be a big improvement.

Almost a bolt on swap , so it can be reversed should a future owner want to go back to dead stock. Biggest modification is moving the rear springs a bit. And that takes place on the newer frame . I am keeping the 1966 chassis should it ever be wanted down the road.

• Like 2

Agreed. As I said earlier it takes an exceptional Tri-Five to make me even slow down to look. It's not that there's anything inherently wrong or bad about the cars but I see too many of them. And I know Chevrolet built them in colors other than red, black an turquoise.

Don't even get me started on 1st-Gen Camaros. Unless it is a six-cylinder or bone stock small-V8 version I find them incredibly overexposed too. The running joke around here was there were more 1967 Z/28 in this town of 50,000 people than Chevrolet produced!

Plus I didn't like them as a 12-year-old gearhead, and time hasn't tempered that any.

Strangely enough I liked Firebirds- enough that I owned three 67-9 versions😏 including a Sprint. 4bbl OHC-6 3-speed w 3.23 gears. Big fun!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

I agree about the attraction of the Canadian only Fords / Mercs . Thinking back to the days of my youth in the later 1960's , early 1970's they seemed reasonably common. Out here on the West Coast they are quite rare these days.  The only one I own is a 1966 Mercury M 100 Custom Cab. Currently doing a frame swap to a 1975 F 150. I use it as a truck so the dual circuit disk brakes and Saginaw steering will be a big improvement.

Almost a bolt on swap , so it can be reversed should a future owner want to go back to dead stock. Biggest modification is moving the rear springs a bit. And that takes place on the newer frame . I am keeping the 1966 chassis should it ever be wanted down the road.

57meteorvancouver.jpg.904e5a553e59fedaf1cc31ed3526c9c0.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Agreed. As I said earlier it takes an exceptional Tri-Five to make me even slow down to look. It's not that there's anything inherently wrong or bad about the cars but I see too many of them. And I know Chevrolet built them in colors other than red, black an turquoise.

Don't even get me started on 1st-Gen Camaros. Unless it is a six-cylinder or bone stock small-V8 version I find them incredibly overexposed too. The running joke around here was there were more 1967 Z/28 in this town of 50,000 people than Chevrolet produced!

Plus I didn't like them as a 12-year-old gearhead, and time hasn't tempered that any.

Strangely enough I liked Firebirds- enough that I owned three 67-9 versions😏 including a Sprint. 4bbl OHC-6 3-speed w 3.23 gears. Big fun!

I have a 66 chevelle sitting behind my shop waiting on a resto. It is a stripper convertible with a inline 6. My plan is to restore as it left the factory. I go to a large chevelle show each year and out of 200 cars there was 1 with a 6! and only about 3 that werent SS's.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I have a 66 chevelle sitting behind my shop waiting on a resto. It is a stripper convertible with a inline 6. My plan is to restore as it left the factory. I go to a large chevelle show each year and out of 200 cars there was 1 with a 6! and only about 3 that werent SS's.

Wait until everyone asks you "how come he did not pull out the six?" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My re - born 1/2 ton might end up with a Ford 300 6. It has a 1970's 360 in it now , 352 originally.  .Anyone know if there is much of a saving with Propane these days over swapping back to gasoline ?   The only 300 I have at the moment came from a truck with a propane conversion.  I have everything but the tank . But if there is no fuel saving it wouldn't be worth the trouble. 

I know, I should start a new thread.

3 hours ago, John348 said:

Wait until everyone asks you "how come he did not pull out the six?" 

I have this 1976 Omega brougham 4 dr. sed. I special ordered it and it has the 250" Chevrolet six, a truly great engine and smooth as can be with its seven main bearing. It's not fast, but at sea level over flat ground it will do an honest (GP READING) 100mph. After all these years 115,000+ it runs great. Sometimes I wish I ordered it with the 260" Olds V-8, and the reason I said 260 is in California is the 350" engine was Chevrolet.  For about ten years until I moved to Arizona, I entered that car in OCA's Pacific/Southwest Zone meet which is a point judged show. The car was shown in the survivor class. The point I'm making is that at those shows (which allowed spectators from around the town always had a crowd around it looking at the engine. Of course, and understandably the Olds guys hardly looked at it. I understand and was raised with the attitude that the brand is the engine. While I'd like to add an Olds 350 or a 403, I just can't do it, I guess for originalities sake and a little bit of love for that little six banger that never let me down-and never had to make me change a timing chain (cause its gear to gear). 

CC170-dR-01.jpg

Post Image Body paint, engine paint-engine bay paint and interior all original.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, TAKerry said:

and only about 3 that werent SS's.

Kerry. I can about guarantee there were more than 3 that weren't SS's. True SS cars anyway. 

When reproduction 1967 SS grilles appeared, there was no such thing as a non-SS 1967 Chevelle within 150 miles of here. Until you looked at the VIN and data plate anyway.

21 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Sometimes I wish I ordered it with the 260" Olds V-8

You have the better of the two engines!😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pete O said:

You asked for our opinion so you'll get what you asked for.  Probably not like the guy who posted the Cars For Sale post that you felt the need to comment on.  He likely didn't care to know how you felt about '57 Chevys, nor did anyone else who was drawn to that post looking for a '57 Chevy.   You are clearly entitled to your opinion, and many people may hold the same opinion as you.  But was that really the appropriate place to air your unsolicited opinion?

Pete O:    My original post WAS NOT attached to a specific car ad or post but was a new post in reference to one that happened to appear for a "57 Chevy in an unrelated forum. The ad could have been for a '65 Mustang, a '69 Chevelle, or any number of Cameros. My point was not to belitte that particular car or any car, in fact. The point was, with the majority of other forum members in agreement, to voice my current feeling about these popular automotive icons. There was a time when tri-five Chevies were the most important things in my young and inxperienced life.

THINGS CHANGE!

Looking forward to my ninth decade, I see many things differently than I did 60 or 70 years ago and (I thought) I clearly stated a specific change in taste - not a criticizm. There was no and is no intention to  criticize any specific vehicle, or anyone else's automotive tastes. If you or the seller of the referenced car or anyone else were offended by someone stating their personal view, then reading this forum should be avoided at all costs.

==================================================================

again from Pete O:

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, and many people may hold the same opinion as you.  But was that really the appropriate place to air your unsolicited opinion?

Where do you recommend my voicing my unsolicited opinion?

-----------The best place I could find was right next to yours!---------

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Kerry. I can about guarantee there were more than 3 that weren't SS's. True SS cars anyway. 

When reproduction 1967 SS grilles appeared, there was no such thing as a non-SS 1967 Chevelle within 150 miles of here. Until you looked at the VIN and data plate anyway.

You have the better of the two engines!😄

It's not like any Gen2 short deck? Which I really like.  School me rocketraider in not so many words as to not bore the folks if you will.

20 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

Having never been a big Tri-5 Chevy fan even as a teen I say Ho-Hum. I liked the Ford's of that era and had quite a few of them. They were dirt cheap and plenty of them. Now I prefer the Mercury's as I get older. I still want a 1957 Meteor Rideau 500 as that was my 1st car. Canadian only production Ford in Merc chrome. 

Keep in mind the redesigned 1957 Ford had higher sales figures than Chevrolet for that year.   

Craig

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pfeil said:

I have this 1976 Omega brougham 4 dr. sed. I special ordered it and it has the 250" Chevrolet six, a truly great engine and smooth as can be with its seven main bearing.

And you didn't sue GM because it had a 'Chevrolet' engine, and not an 'Oldsmobile' engine? 🙂

Craig

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Pfeil said:

It's not like any Gen2 short deck? Which I really like.  School me rocketraider in not so many words as to not bore the folks if you will.

I think his point was that most people with a chevelle (or camaro) turned them into Super Sports at some point. I agree. We used to say they made twice as many SS emblems as cars! Its a disservice to the 'real' cars and most owners because my first thought when I see one is 'Is it real?" Same deal with Shelby mustangs and 57 Bel Airs.

10 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Pete O:    My original post WAS NOT attached to a specific car ad or post but was a new post in reference to one that happened to appear for a "57 Chevy in an unrelated forum. The ad could have been for a '65 Mustang, a '69 Chevelle, or any number of Cameros. My point was not to belitte that particular car or any car, in fact. The point was, with the majority of other forum members in agreement, to voice my current feeling about these popular automotive icons. There was a time when tri-five Chevies were the most important things in my young and inxperienced life.

THINGS CHANGE!

Looking forward to my ninth decade, I see many things differently than I did 60 or 70 years ago and (I thought) I clearly stated a specific change in taste - not a criticizm. There was no and is no intention to  criticize any specific vehicle, or anyone else's automotive tastes. If you or the seller of the referenced car or anyone else were offended by someone stating their personal view, then reading this forum should be avoided at all costs.

==================================================================

again from Pete O:

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, and many people may hold the same opinion as you.  But was that really the appropriate place to air your unsolicited opinion?

Where do you recommend my voicing my unsolicited opinion?

-----------The best place I could find was right next to yours!---------

Your original post began "I originally wrote this as a comment to a "cars for sale - not mine" post for a more or less original 1957 Chevy Bel Air Sedan..."   A plain reading of that suggests that you posted a response to a cars for sale-not mine post.   If you did not actually post what you wrote in that ad, you didn't make that clear in what you wrote above.

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

And you didn't sue GM because it had a 'Chevrolet' engine, and not an 'Oldsmobile' engine? 🙂

Craig

No, I knew going in what it was. A little different than the guy who knows very little about cars and shows a friend his new Rocket V-8 only to find his friend calling him a dope saying it's a Chevy engine and you got hosed.

At that time (1976) I needed a family car, America had just come out of an oil embargo (1973) and was about to go through another one, I needed a car I could tweak to get 30+MPG HWY mileage. I had also read that the 250 had this new mono head intake that helped the thermal and volumetric efficiency giving better torque at lower RPM and better fuel distribution. At that time, because there wasn't enough data and cars out with high mileage there that there was a problem with cylinder heads/exhaust manifolds cracking. It turned out for me the problem was mute because I warm up my engines before I drive my cars. That amounts to driving off just when the cold Temp light goes out at 114 degrees (I use an older G.M. dual hot cold temp sensor and also mechanical gauges). This allows the entire engine to expand more slowly and unlike others I haven't experienced a head manifold problem.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I think his point was that most people with a chevelle (or camaro) turned them into Super Sports at some point. I agree. We used to say they made twice as many SS emblems as cars! Its a disservice to the 'real' cars and most owners because my first thought when I see one is 'Is it real?" Same deal with Shelby mustangs and 57 Bel Airs.

I wanted Rocketraders opinion on the 260 OldsV-8 because just like the short deck 301 and 265 Pontiac V-8's there are some internal structural differences on the Pontiac short deck from the 354, 400, and 456 Pontiac's. I was wondering about the internal differences between the short deck 330 and 350 Olds and the 260. When he said the 250 Chevy was a better pick I was thinking it was because of the 260's shortcomings. 

• Like 1

Regarding the tri-five Chevies, I always liked the '55 and '56 Nomads and would like to own one of them or a '57 Bel Air Sport Coupe (2-door hardtop) like the one my folks' ordered new.  The rest of the body styles don't really interest me.  Ours didn't have power steering, power brakes or a radio.  It had a V8, powerglide, whitewalls, two-tone paint.  It was a beautiful car, but I would prefer its replacement, a '63 LeSabre 2-door hardtop.  Unfortunately, the LeSabre was not a popular car when it was still fairly new.  A person could have purchased a slightly used Impala SS, Grand Prix or other big car with bucket seats.  I rarely see any tri-fives now except at the Woodward Dream Cruise.

I look past most Chevelles, Camaros, and Mustangs since you seldom see one that hasn't been cloned into a performance version.  I would rather look at something that I saw growing up that has been preserved or restored and isn't common.  I am not criticizing people who want to own one of the more common cars seen at shows since parts availability isn't an issue with them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

I look past most Chevelles, Camaros, and Mustangs since you seldom see one that hasn't been cloned into a performance version.  I would rather look at something that I saw growing up that has been preserved or restored and isn't common.  I am not criticizing people who want to own one of the more common cars seen at shows since parts availability isn't an issue with them.

I think for me the most interesting first-gen Camaro I ever saw was  a very plain 1967 hardtop in dark (Nocturne?) blue metallic.  It was a 6-cylinder with column shift, and its only two options were an AM radio and block heater.  The owner inherited it from his grandfather who purchased it new.  I had to commend him for NOT changing it to a V8 or adding any more options to it.

Craig

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I think for me the most interesting first-gen Camaro I ever saw was  a very plain 1967 hardtop in dark (Nocturne?) blue metallic.  It was a 6-cylinder with column shift, and its only two options were an AM radio and block heater.  The owner inherited it from his grandfather who purchased it new.  I had to commend him for NOT changing it to a V8 or adding any more options to it.

Craig

There was a very plain 67 Camaro convertible close to my area for sale a few weeks ago that still had the original inline 6, PowerGide on the column and manual top, dog dish hubcaps. It looked great! The ad is gone and I'm betting it's getting a V8 stuffed in it now!

The Olds 260 with its small cylinders and likewise small intake and exhaust ports would probably have worked well in an X-body, but anything heavier worked that little engine to death. It worked well for what it was designed to do- emissions and fuel economy. Flat, level terrain helped as did a lighter vehicle.

The 260 shared its bottom end with the Olds 350 so that made it essentially bulletproof. The limitations were on bore, intake and exhaust port sizes. The little engine had a tough time breathing. Again, it did what it was designed to do.

The Chevrolet 6 was highly refined by that time in spite of being choked by emissions equipment. It was smooth and torquey and could easily move an X-body around in traffic, which the 260 had trouble doing especially installed in a Cutlass body. If they'd used a QuadraJet instead of that weird little DualJet carb, 260 might have been a bit more viable. The specs of the Chevy 6 and Olds 260 are very similar but the 6 always felt a little better to me, even though I too have always believed the engine is the brand.

I used to tell folks yowling about the Olds 307's low power that it was very similar to the original 1949 Rocket engine: 303 vs 307 cubic inches, 135 vs 140 horsepower. 1949 and 1983 Eighty Eights weighed within 100 lb of each other. We were so used to big horsepower and torque numbers by then that the 307 cars just "felt" slower.

• Thanks 2

I was looking for a 4-door 70-72 Chevelle to give to my mom for her 70th birthday, to replace the one that was her daily driver that my dad sold while she was at work in 1990 or 91. I couldn't find a single one that fit what she wanted..I did find about 8 dozen fake SS cars though...in one day. Only found one four door at all and it wasn't the right color or stock.  I gave up looking and her birthday was this past March. 

• Like 1