Value of a 1948 Lincoln Continental for estate

dalef62

My dad passed away and we are looking for a value of a 1948 Lincoln Continental coupe.  Still has its original V12 engine, and overdrive 3 speed trans.  Has been run in last couple years but does need work.  Chrome is fair, paint is original or repaint many years ago, has the normal dings, dents and scratches for years of use  tires are ancient, and the rears have portawalls.  Interior has seat covers and moth damage to original from what I can see.  I know the value on these cars are lower than what everyone thinks so I need some opinions.  My guess is in the $6,000-$8,000 range???  The car was for sale a few years ago for $20,000, which I knew was high.

2017-06-19 05.32.38.jpg

2017-06-19 05.33.19.jpg

2017-06-19 05.35.43.jpg

2017-06-19 05.36.20.jpg

2017-06-19 05.39.33.jpg

2017-06-19 05.35.48.jpg

2017-06-19 05.37.28.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

In California this would be probably a $10-$15k car if running. 

I bought my 48 Lincoln in 2007 in similar condition. (It was my grandfathers that he sold in 1991 and I found it and bought it back!). It runs and drives great now, still have to do the interior, paint and chrome (chrome which is incredibly expensive on these). 

back in the early seventies these were hot on the market as the ‘greatest generation’ wanted them. They were allowed into aaca and other groups at only two decades old! 

imagine a car from 2002 being recognized by aaca today or other clubs today? 

sadly the market for these is pretty ice cold now as they have a high survival rate and restorations are expensive. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MarkV said:

In California this would be probably a $10-$15k car if running. 

I bought my 48 Lincoln in 2007 in similar condition. (It was my grandfathers that he sold in 1991 and I found it and bought it back!). It runs and drives great now, still have to do the interior, paint and chrome (chrome which is incredibly expensive on these). 

back in the early seventies these were hot on the market as the ‘greatest generation’ wanted them. They were allowed into aaca and other groups at only two decades old! 

imagine a car from 2002 being recognized by aaca today or other clubs today? 

sadly the market for these is pretty ice cold now as they have a high survival rate and restorations are expensive. 

I would have to disagree with you that they were "hot on the market" in the early 1970's.  We purchased a '48 Conv in the flea market at Hershey and drove it 35 miles home.  Paid $1495.  As far as being "left into AACA early" can you document this.  Smells false to me.

9 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

I would have to disagree with you that they were "hot on the market" in the early 1970's.  We purchased a '48 Conv in the flea market at Hershey and drove it 35 miles home.  Paid $1495.  As far as being "left into AACA early" can you document this.  Smells false to me.

793732B7-E509-410D-8C1D-8D5EC958598E.png

The most recent Old Cars Weekly Price Guide values the 1948 Continental in number 4, or fair condition at $10,000.  I have no idea how accurate this publication is, but maybe you can use it as a starting point.  As is often stated on these forums, the actual price is what the buyer and seller agree on.  Good luck with the sale. 

• Like 1

I take it he is not looking to sell, but to get a value for estate inventory purposes.  And part of this is proving the value to the beneficiaries if there is disagreement. Having some documentation is good.

• Like 2

Looks solid, and while a lot of these are out there in "project condition" I would think a big plus is complete, non dismantled shape.  New owner, or Dale could elect to sort mechanically or dive into a restoration.

I would put it at 8 to 10k if it runs that would be a big plus.  

Every time I see a decent one of these for sale I get to thinking about my two hobby car rule...

• Like 3

I would agree with the others here. I think if the mechanicals are in good shape, $8k would be a fair number for both sides of the sale. I’m sure a paint correction for the exterior and a new interior would yield a really nice car for the new owner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

As far as being "let into AACA early" can you document this.  Smells false to me.

The Continental was the first postwar car approved as a CCCA Full Classic. CCCA started in 53, not sure when the Continental was approved.

The Lincoln Continental Owners Club (LCOC) also began in 1953 and the 48 Continentals were then 5 years old. 

I believe that the AACA maintained their 25 year acceptance policy since the beginning. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dalef62 said:

My dad passed away and we are looking for a value of a 1948 Lincoln Continental coupe.  Still has its original V12 engine, and overdrive 3 speed trans.  Has been run in last couple years but does need work.  Chrome is fair, paint is original or repaint many years ago, has the normal dings, dents and scratches for years of use  tires are ancient, and the rears have portawalls.  Interior has seat covers and moth damage to original from what I can see.  I know the value on these cars are lower than what everyone thinks so I need some opinions.  My guess is in the $6,000-$8,000 range???  The car was for sale a few years ago for $20,000, which I knew was high.

2017-06-19 05.32.38.jpg

2017-06-19 05.33.19.jpg

2017-06-19 05.35.43.jpg

2017-06-19 05.36.20.jpg

2017-06-19 05.39.33.jpg

2017-06-19 05.35.48.jpg

2017-06-19 05.37.28.jpg

is anyone else on title? 

I agree with most of the numbers everyone else has posted here. 

We had a local one running around my area. Looked similar to this one condition wise, but the engine had been rebuilt and the entire engine bay and engine itself was spotless and "judge ready" correct and clean. Tired paint, tired chrome, tired original interior, so when the owner lifted the hood the wow factor was quite unexpected. (He'd also been through the brakes, suspension and steering, so the wear bits underneath were fresh too, but you couldnt tell that at street level). I thought it was awesome, and wouldn't have chnaged a thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, m-mman said:

I believe that the AACA maintained their 25 year acceptance policy since the beginning. 

Not - really. When the club was founded in about 1937 (give or take a year), the rules were somewhat loose and undefined as I recall reading and hearing about. They allowed almost anything from 1915 on back, and actually, some cars even in the early 1920s were toured and shown with the club. So then, even cars less than 25 years old were accepted. The three big clubs (all founded in the late 1930s), AACA, VMCCA, and HCCA, all had internal battles over what should or should not be an "antique" automobile. Each tried different approaches with varying success, and each changed or refined those rules fairly often over the years. I originally joined all three of those clubs in 1967, and still have nearly all the magazines I have received since. Sadly, family and financial issues have not allowed me to maintain those memberships all these past years.

After WWII, the clubs refined their definition for each of their interests.

I grabbed an "Antique Automobile" Magazine from Dec. 1970, and, this is what it says;

"Motor vehicles of all types up to and including models of 1929 are recognized as "antique cars" and are grouped for competitive purposes into 30 Classes according to age and mechanical features. A new group of cars dating up to 1936, called "production cars", has recently been recognized for the purpose of encouraging their preservation and restoration. Exceptionally fine cars of specific makes such as Duesenberg, Rolls Royce, Cord, etc., dating from 1930 up are recognized as "classic cars"."

So, in 1970, your "antique" had to be a 1929 or earlier, or otherwise over 40 years old! However, a "production" collector(?) car could be as recent as 1936, or 34 years old in 1970.

HCCA locked in 1915 or earlier, and stayed that way! I hope it always stays that way. The earliest automobiles need a club devoted to them.

Between the wonderful AACA and the VMCCA, along with hundreds of local and lesser clubs, newer antiques from the 1910s on up to whenever are well covered.

However, during the 1970s, a considerable unrest was forming within the hobby. There was greater interest in post-war cars, and even muscle cars which were only a few years old at that time? So the major clubs adapted and altered their rules

So, for comparison, I also grabbed a Dec. 1975 "Antique Automobile". Says almost the same thing;

"Motor vehicles of all types up to and including models of 1929 are designated as "antique" and are grouped for competitive purposes into many Classes according to age and mechanical features. A new group of vehicles dating up to and including 1950, called "production", has recently been recognized for the purpose of encouraging their preservation and restoration. Exceptionally fine cars of specific makes such as Duesenberg, Rolls Royce, Cord, etc., dating from 1930 through 1942 are recognized as "classic"."

So, notice that although the "antique" remained at 1929 or earlier, "production" (collector cars) has jumped all the way up tp 1950, which was in fact 25 years old. I believe the set rule of 25 years or older was put in place just a few years after that. But I wasn't paying much attention to it because I was still playing with brass era and nickel age cars of the 1910s and 1920s. I still am.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dalef62 said:

Thank you for all the help, we decided on $6,000 as the value for estate purposes.  It will be added to my stable of vehicles.  Then I need to sell a few...

Well that’s good news it’s worth keeping. 

I always think of these as a certain type of albatross. I’ve seen gorgeous looking ones with nice paint, chrome, and interior sell in the 20s. It really makes you scratch your head thinking what would a project that needs paint and interior be worth. Happy to see it’s being kept.

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I think these continentals are worth more than the low ball prices that have been discussed, especially a solid and complete one like this. They can be expensive to do body and chrome work but what Classic isn't expensive to restore.  This car is not a quick flip but would make a great hobbyist's car for someone who wants to restore the mechanicals, rewire it if necessary, and touch up/fresh up the paint. The chrome looks to be in "good enough" condition for a non-full restoration level car. It depends on whats under the seat covers but Lincoln used good leather on these. Looking at the door panels I think the leather may be salvageable with new leather for arm rests and replace the Bedford cord seat inserts. 

There is no argument that they are a bit underpowered. You can't throw them around like a 48 Ford but they are very comfortable, reliable, drivable cars. With the overdrive, they are comfortable at hi-way speeds. If you have ever been on a CCCA caravan, you will always see a hand full of these V12 Continentals and these are the cars that owners have no problems driving 500 or 1,000 miles round trip to get to the caravan and back.

• Like 1

This is the type of car that I would get running and drive as-is. With the brakes, electric & mechanics gone through, this thing will generate an enormous amount of smiles...even if you never lay a dab of polish on the chrome. At least, that's my experience.

• Like 1