Then there is this.

For some reason, this was apparently a somewhat popular mod to tri-five Chevy wagons. I’ve seen several. At least they have all had a usable door.

I don’t get it. A lot of work to make these ill proportioned and unusable scrap piles. If you want a small wagon, just buy a Hillman Husky or a Morris Minor Traveler. 

Edited by Gearheadengineer (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I was at a show last summer and a guy had a 55 chevy similar to the silver car pictured above. At first glance I thought, something looks funny? Looking closer it became apparent that about a foot or more was taken out of the middle. It was very well done, had a high dollar motor and an equally elaborate interior. To each his own, but for what was spent on that thing a real, nice old car could be had.

Question for any hot rodders out there: Does that wagon have too short of a wheelbase to make a legit drag car? I'm thinking stability would suffer with a powerful engine, but I don't know. That's the only practical purpose I can see for the wagon (along with maybe Shriner's parades.) Some gassers had pretty short wheelbases...like early '50's Austins and such.

I saw a Mazda 4 door that was made into a coupe a while back. It actually looked pretty neat. At first I thought it was a rare version of a Miata.

Cars are a hobby to many people and they all have their own ideas, many see them as a canvas for their creativity that many will disagree with.

Buying one of these will yield a big surprise to the the buyer at the DMV inspection lane. They all must be horrible over 40mph. Tough to sell after the thrill is gone, I'm sure.

15 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

And this one:

image.png.9d51b550f3fc3d1079fdd7438691e1e6.png

I've seen this one (or one just like it) at shows, though the last time was about 30 years ago.  The owner seemed quite proud of it and seemed to think he had increased the value of the car by creating a version even more rare than the original.  As I recall a tremendous amount of time and work went into it...only to eliminate the hallmark features of the car.