Over 120 Thrashed Corvettes Waiting To Be Crushed.

f.f.jones

Over 120 damaged Corvettes Waiting To Be Crushed.

GM's Bowling Green Kentucky factory and the Corvette Museum were hit by a tornado. The destructive force of nature left more than 120 units of C8 Corvettes severely damaged. Chevrolet had to scrap all units that show any signs of damages. Apart from the cars, the Corvette factory was hit by a fire caused by the tornado, which destroyed the building's roof as well as one of the employee entrances.

120 Corvette Units Waiting To Be Crushed Drove Video Thumbnail

• Like 1

The big tornado happened a few weeks ago and this is this first time I have heard anything about the factory and new C8's being damaged.  Odd...

I heard that it was water damage caused by the roof being damaged.

I assume that they do not want to sell them due to liability  and damage to potential their image.

The plant closed for a week and has reopened. They said it only took the week to make repairs and get the plant reopened. The fire caused more damage to the plant than the tornado did but the cars were damaged by both and they will be scrapped for insurance reasons and quality control. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too bad to see them scrapped, but that is the way the business world works. They are pretty amazing cars, well out of my price range. I am a sports car guy, but never had a strong urge to own a Corvette.  If I did it would probably be a 1968 - about 73. I like 1966 - 67 best but prices are way too high for me. The slightly newer ones are at least a bit more affordable.  

• Like 1

The Weather Channel mentioned the Corvette factory getting hit the next day. Saw a couple pictures of the cars after the tornado piled haphazardly atop one another, but that was on Facebook. The Corvette Museum posted about the damage on their social media pages as well but no pictures...more warning people to stay away because the whole area was damaged and roads had debris on them. 

Sad, sad situation.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

A sink hole opened up in the main show room of the museum. It took down a number of collector vettes.

That almost sounds like the devil wanted some cool cars to cruise around in.😄 My personal belief is that the Man Upstairs prefers a supercharged '57 T-Bird instead! 😉

It looks to me that these cars were not yet completely assembled. The front bumpers,hoods and doors weren't installed yet. The seats were wrapped in plastic  until they reached the dealer. I used to work for GM assembly and any car damaged beyond a certain point during assembly would be scrapped. This usually occurred when a worker was messing around while driving the car around the back lot and crashed it.

With the continual and catastrophic bad luck at the Corvette museum location, one has to wonder if there's any truth to the story of it being built on the site of a former 18th century prison burial ground.

😄

1 hour ago, GregLaR said:

With the continual and catastrophic bad luck at the Corvette museum location, one has to wonder if there's any truth to the story of it being built on the site of a former 18th century prison burial ground.

😄

Image of You moved the cemetery, but you left the bodies, didn't you?

• Like 2

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. GM has insurance for exactly events like this. Scrapping and starting over is waaaay cheaper than trying to find and fix any damage to the cars in-process. The only parties harmed by this are the buyers who have to wait longer for their new Corvette. This is no different than the truckload that went up in flames a few months ago. GM isn't losing any money when these things happen.

They could be "self insured" which is a whole other animal. The City Of Richmond was "self insured" and The Hartford did the processing of claims. So while GM might actually lose money, it is in another account on the financial ledger side.

These car and similar "accidents" provide the auto shop cars that can never be sold to the public. Al's wrecking yard in Richmond had a new '78 Buick I looked at, it was flattened roof to door tops. It was the top car on a car carrier that rolled over. Al could sell any parts, just not the whole car.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:38 AM, 63RedBrier said:

The big tornado happened a few weeks ago and this is this first time I have heard anything about the factory and new C8's being damaged.  Odd...

I think with the loss of life and people loosing their homes all of their personnel contents the damage of a few sports cars and a factory is rather trivial in the big picture, not even really newsworthy.

I am sure that those cars will be auctioned off by the insurance company with 'as scrap only not for re-sale' titles. Just to leave the property they will have to have some sort of paper trail to follow the VIN even if they are going straight to the shredder to assure that they will not be resold as new car.  

• Like 1

General Motors is even Self-Insured with respect to employee health care, employee "health insurance."

General Motors is partnering with Henry Ford Health System to offer a new direct-to-employer health insurance option next year. 

GM, which is self-insured, will continue to offer its other plans (PPOs with a wider range of choices, but higher premiums) in addition to ConnectedCare in 2019.

The Detroit, Michigan-based automaker's five-year contract with the 103-year-old hospital system requires all participating employees to receive all care, including routine checkups, surgeries and more, through Henry Ford Health System

A bit off-topic, but here goes:

I told the people working at the Target store that a dozen of their shopping carts were across the street, where a homeless guy was staying in the parking lot of a shuttered fast food place. I even offered to go get them if they didn't want to bother because i do not like seeing theft being condoned. You know what i was told?

Oh no don't do that. We don't want them. Insurance pays for it. We could not use them anyway because they would be considered unsafe or unsanitary. besides, and they emphasized this by saying it more than once : Insurance pays for it. Wow. I guess with that attitude I could load 10 of their carts in the back of my pickup and drive home with them and it would be OK, insurance would pay for it. No harm. No foul. No loss.

4 hours ago, mike6024 said:

Oh no don't do that. We don't want them. Insurance pays for it. We could not use them anyway because they would be considered unsafe or unsanitary. besides, and they emphasized this by saying it more than once : Insurance pays for it. Wow. I guess with that attitude I could load 10 of their carts in the back of my pickup and drive home with them and it would be OK, insurance would pay for it. No harm. No foul. No loss.

Who do you think pays for that in the end??

Craig

• Like 1

The tornado that caused all the damage was an F4 or 5 and was on the ground for an estimated 120 miles. The damage to a few new corvettes is a drop in the bucket to the overall lost the people in the path sustained. GM will survive and that plant was back up and running within a week. The 1200 workers that got laid off for that week probably took a bigger hit to their bottom line percentage wise than GM did. The small businesses that won’t have the capability to recover represents a larger loss than any part of the corporate losses. Besides the fact these cars are so far out of most of our reach cost wise and they won’t be even eligible for antique status for 25 years I can’t get to upset about it compared to an individual that lost even one car. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How would people feel if GM repaired those cars and sold them as new to the unsuspecting public, and kept it quite? Would GM want to be obligated fixing warranty problems (which is also an insurance policy) ? Would GM want the bad publicity attached to it if that ever surfaced that these cars were damaged in a tornado? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, John348 said:

How would people feel if GM repaired those cars and sold them as new to the unsuspecting public, and kept it quite? Would GM want to be obligated fixing warranty problems (which is also an insurance policy) ? Would GM want the bad publicity attached to it if that ever surfaced that these cars were damaged in a tornado? 

^^^THIS. In addition, there's no way to know exactly what was damaged in each car (and likely it would be different for each car). The troubleshooting costs alone would cost more than scrapping and starting over.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2