Planning your next tour? Show us where you have gone in the past

f.f.jones

As I watch the snow fall that will ensure a white Christmas (and lots of shoveling) and read the forecast for sub-zero temperatures for most of next week, I can’t help but fantasize about warmer weather and plans for possible summer touring. What first came to mind were some of the sights we’d visited over the years and folks we’ve met from all over the country. 

I thought there might be other winter-time dreamers out there who might want to share pictures of their collector cars in historic/unusual/spectacular surroundings that they have visited in the past. If you join in, please let us know where you were at the time and the year and make of your car.

grand canyon 2.jpeg

drive thru tree 2.jpeg   

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)

Pictures of our Model T with aftermarket body on tour in Concord, Mass. and Model A in Hershey.  The Model T has been from Maine to Maryland, and from Cape Cod to Detroit.

DSCN5749_zps4db13949a.jpg

MVC-010F.JPG

• Like 1

For about six years now I have wanted to drive my '60 Electra around Lake Ontario. I am about six miles from the southern shore and it is only a two day trip.

I want to take the Wolf Island ferry instead of the Thousand Islands bridge, The first year the ferry ramp was flooded, same the second. Then the plague came. Hopefully this will be the year. I want to stay in a motel on Prince Edward Island in a room with windows facing the sunrise. I will skirt Toronto to the north and avoid the QEW. I might need to spend a second night on the Ontario wine trail around St. Catherines and then home along RT 104 (1 mile north of me). A pretty modest trip that has been a long time coming.

Preparations for the trip: Check the oil and water, fill the tank.

Ashtabula county, Ohio covered bridge tour, 2019.

1276282170_AshtabulaBridgeTour2018_213.jpg.c72fd4514d8206ae32e795b24f209f2b.jpg

Melanie and I are planning a tour that circumnavigates Lake Erie but until circumstances change, it'll be tough to make it happen.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Blue Ridge Parkway running from Afton, VA to Cherokee, NC is a favorite of ours. We've driven it many times on motorcycle, my Wife's '93 Honda DelSol and my old '42 Ford pickup. 469 miles of 35-45 mph leisure cruising along the ridges and valleys of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Great for nearly any age automobile so long as it can run around 35-45 mph and has enough power to climb some mountainous terrain.

Almost as good is the rural two lane roads in eastern West Virginia. Routes 33 and 250 running east to west and route 220 running north to south. Quaint little sleepy towns and beautiful scenery.

IMG_3340.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Melanie and I are planning a tour that circumnavigates Lake Erie

My wife and I did the trip around Lake Erie with a stop in Detroit.

Don't miss the Ice Creamatorium on the south shore. A nice little converted funeral home.

050.jpg.19d38b96e3ff75d6fa4811a10eb58445.jpg

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Melanie and I are planning a tour that circumnavigates Lake Erie but until circumstances change, it'll be tough to make it happen.

This tour might add a couple of days to your plans depending on how many stops and samples you decide to make.  Just check the open days for some of them.  A bunch are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, discovered that by doing the tour on a Monday and Tuesday,  https://barrelsbottlesbrews.ca/   The Grove Hotel in Kingsville was a good spot.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

For about six years now I have wanted to drive my '60 Electra around Lake Ontario. I am about six miles from the southern shore and it is only a two day trip.

I want to take the Wolf Island ferry instead of the Thousand Islands bridge, The first year the ferry ramp was flooded, same the second. Then the plague came. Hopefully this will be the year. I want to stay in a motel on Prince Edward Island in a room with windows facing the sunrise. I will skirt Toronto to the north and avoid the QEW. I might need to spend a second night on the Ontario wine trail around St. Catherines and then home along RT 104 (1 mile north of me). A pretty modest trip that has been a long time coming.

Preparations for the trip: Check the oil and water, fill the tank.

That ferry from the US to Wolfe Island was one of the neatest ones that I've been on.  It's been a long time since we took it but I remember when we crossed into the US we were met by a State Trooper the time at the border check point - no border officials to be found.  If you have the time take in the Kingston Penitentiary tour.  Plan on about twice as much time as you think it will take - Hwy 2 is a nice drive but slow.  Prince Edward County is fantastic but both it and Kingston are pricey as a heads up.

In 2015 we joined with the HCCA 22 pre '16 cars tour to drive around Lake Erie.  I remember it was 9 days and 700 miles progressive drive, different hotel every night.  Stops included lighthouses, Case Western and Pierce Arrow Museums, wineries, etc.

Regards, Gary

DSC_1714 (1).JPG

DSC_1745 (1).JPG

DSC_1760 (1).JPG

DSC_1841 (1).JPG

We have been on a few AACA national tours over the years and had a blast on them.  Marty Roth is a great guy and convinced us to host a AACA national tour in Canada for 2019 . We chose Kingston On. being under an hr from the bridge or by a ferry that drops you off right in Kingston. Being a historical city surrounded in small villages connected with paved back roads was ideal location.  We seen the Rideau Canal a world heritage site still in operation from 1832. Took two boat rides one with our cars to cross a river to an vineyard and the other to tour the Thousand Islands. On the last day we parked our cars on the forward battery at Fort Henry while we tour the place and had lunch. Something we also did was had coffee and snacks  at the ACCCC Upper Canada region club house and something I hear they still talk about. Oldest car was this 07 Darraq and not one car through the week had to towed back to the hotel. Cars like Mr Kidd's air cooled Franklin roadster that participated and now etched in my brain was nice to see out. We had the use of a closed gentlemen's smoking lounge as our hospitality room for the evenings to sit back and relax with friends.    

I have done shows but there is nothing like getting behind the wheel of your antique car with a group of people driving the back roads. You can drive at a slower pace to see the sights and stop to take a picture of where you have been. 

So next your dust your car off and come on a national tour. 

I believe all had a good time as I am bragging now that we surprisingly won a national award for that tour.

I have to thank Mark McAlpine for the pictures. 

2019-08-04 2019 kingston vintage tour 013.JPG

2019-08-04 2019 kingston vintage tour 007.JPG

2019-08-05 2019 kingston vintage tour 016.JPG

2019-08-06 2019 kingston vintage tour 015.JPG

IMG_8460.JPG

IMG_8196.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 10:45 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Rather than 2 that is a good drive as mentioned above  take the Bath Road through Kingston that will turn into 33 / Loyalist Parkway cross on the Glenora Ferry and continue on 33 to 64 to 66. Just look on Google Map and you will see how far you can go along the lake. There is another road along the lake shore between Port Hope and Newcastle that is good and just repaved with more bikes than cars on it as in a few of the roads I have mentioned.  Have used these roads many of times for tours to get away from traffic. When you hit Newcastle you will be on #2.

When in Oshawa you could visit the Oshawa airport where the small Camp X museum is and see where the first CIA agents were secretly trained by the Canadians & British during WW2. Most of it was destroyed when shut down. Also a new tank museum there where they actually stage tank battles 3 times a year.  

I better quit or I will turn your 2 day drive into a 5 day drive. But I have to add Oshawa has one of the most modern wind, ice, heat & snow test tunnels or shake the sh--- out of the car in the world. They test everything from winter clothing to bicycles to race cars and a great tour.  

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

This past summer we took our 1915 Mercer 22-70 and drove through a collection of the National Parks with a few other pre-1916 cars on the Pathfinders Transcontinental Tour. Clocked about 3,600 miles over three weeks. Trip of a lifetime. We're going to Alaska in 2023, should be another grand adventure.

IMG_4584.JPEG

IMG_4570.JPEG

IMG_4774.JPEG

IMG_4336.JPEG

IMG_4850.JPEG

IMG_4174.JPEG

• Like 8

Thanks for sharing the great pics! It's great to see these vintage machines taking to the road. I had a dream of driving a Model T on California Highway 1 from Southern California up to the Canadian border. If I can get my '51 Jaguar squared away, maybe I can drive that in the next few years. There's always next year, but you can only put it off so long!

3 hours ago, Rivguy said:

I had a dream of driving … …California Highway 1 from Southern California up to the Canadian border. There's always next year, but you can only put it off so long!

Wife and I have been postponing a similar trip for 3-4 years already due to variety of excuses/reasons and again, have plans + reservations in place for next year.
Return drive will be through more mountainous routes, including Sierras, etc.

And now that she retired earlier this year, our scheduling options are wider.

Fingers crossed.

Many of my/our driving (long distance) adventures can be found in the thread I started soon after joining this site couple of years ago.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

12 hours ago, steamfins said:

Pathfinders Transcontinental Tour

Here's a few pics of my 14 Premier on this tour last June. Chasing the Mercer down the road and having a running board lunch somewhere in Arizona in 100deg heat.

Ken

20210602_065417.jpg

20210602_113227 (2).jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rivguy said:

Thanks for sharing the great pics! It's great to see these vintage machines taking to the road. I had a dream of driving a Model T on California Highway 1 from Southern California up to the Canadian border. If I can get my '51 Jaguar squared away, maybe I can drive that in the next few years. There's always next year, but you can only put it off so long!

The Jaguar would be wonderful, probably even a better experience than a T. That is a great route in a sportscar. I have done it in a Miata twice. Also don't forget the "lost coast". It's almost all paved. The roads leasing in and out are reminiscent of prewar mountain passes.

Last year we did the Hershey Hangover. Had a great time in my 1911 Ford I inherited from my father who took it out of Ohio the last time in 1955 for the Old Car Fest. Hope to take the T to OCF next year and my 1912 McLaughlin on Hershey Hanover if I can defeat Cancer issues by then. 

Tom 

7775D884-0EF4-48E8-BCEB-E9D488EDBB99.jpeg

59A11D20-F77E-4C6F-BD9D-A5E01A850C56.jpeg

9F8190F7-35A2-45CE-968D-7A814F10BF27.jpeg

• Like 2

When I was the President of the local car club here, my honey and I would put on a "poker and picnic at the park putt putt" sort of thing. We started off in our cars at our meeting place and made four stops on the way to the park. At each stop, the driver of each car would pick a card from the deck. When we all got to the picnic area at the park, we would pick our 5th card. We got to pick/exchange some cards if we wanted (depending on how many were on the tour). Driver with the best hand won 1st prize. Driver of the worst hand won a "booby prize". Somehow, the club members fought over the booby prizes. They were usually some car tool or part I pulled out of my garage and used as the prize. It was really fun! 

ebaystuff 010.jpg

ebaystuff 012.jpg

ebaystuff 253.jpg

Picture 2929.jpg

Picture 3042.jpg

Picture 4465.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tomcarnut said:

Last year we did the Hershey Hangover. Had a great time in my 1911 Ford I inherited from my father who took it out of Ohio the last time in 1955 for the Old Car Fest. Hope to take the T to OCF next year and my 1912 McLaughlin on Hershey Hanover if I can defeat Cancer issues by then. 

Tom 

7775D884-0EF4-48E8-BCEB-E9D488EDBB99.jpeg

59A11D20-F77E-4C6F-BD9D-A5E01A850C56.jpeg

9F8190F7-35A2-45CE-968D-7A814F10BF27.jpeg

I go by that beer store about every couple of months when we pick up bunny feed! 

You can win Tom, and look forward to a good tour next year as well.

Alexandria Bay (Saint Lawrence) a few years ago with a few friends. Land and water tour. Got a lot of looks circling the Bolt Castle and from the huge freighters passing by. Picture of the Singer Castle is our car. It is a 10 mile journey by water with no way out if there is trouble. Wife wasn't happy as it took a while to get there, plus she can't swim.

Group Crusing Saint Lawrence  Seaway.jpeg

Ron & Val at Singer Castle on Island 10 mile trip.jpg

• Like 3