1942 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet.......Thoughts?

lelshaddai

1 hour ago, West Peterson said:

However, it's a hobby, and many people relish their time in the hobby by restoring cars.

Buying the finished car you only have to redo 10 or 20% of the incorrectly done work. And with a disassembled project the easiest and cheapest work is already done for you. And you get the rest.

If one were to break the total process percentage-wise I would have to say that over the past 60 years I have really enjoyed the buying and the selling percentages of owning, small as they are, and that maybe 40-55% of the work part. Should you break it up that way.

Reminds me of the early days of leasing Grimy (George's) friend told me I didn't have to buy the whole car, only the part I used. I told him that was not the part I wanted to use. I guess it is the same for me on the old ones.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

That would certainly surprise me.

😎

Who said I race fair? All I have to do is swerve into the side of the Lincoln at the starting line and continue driving forward.........you strike me as the type of guy who would get upset, then stop and get out ad look at the damage. 😏

To be honest......I think the White is faster.....than the three or four I have driven, but it is going back 30 years........... they were all very High point or show cars.......... in fact and I’m certain I didn’t pound on them.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mike brady said:

Anyone who feel a '40 - '48 Lincoln is a good driving car has never driven a '41 Packard or '41 Cadillac.

Well... We have a couple of '41 Cadillac 62s, a few '40-41 Packard Super Eights, and a couple of prewar Lincoln V-12s (all in fine working order), so....

I stand by what I said, the Lincolns are fun to drive. You just have to "stand" on them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Reminds me of the early days of leasing Grimy (George's) friend told me I didn't have to buy the whole car, only the part I used.

My dentist tells his patients they need brush and floss only the teeth they want to keep....he must be related to The Godfather....

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:42 PM, m-mman said:

Anytime a car has been disassembled the question is always "Is it complete?"  

The seller always says "100% of the parts are there" 

In fact there is ALWAYS one thing missing. The INSTRUCTION SHEET!     

If you disassemble a car then you know how it goes back together.  In a disassembled project, the knowledge for reassembly is always lost. 

Now, if you know that particular type of car then you are bringing the critical missing component, (that cannot be bought at a swap meet) and reassembly will be easy. 

If you are unfamiliar with that type of car (or instructions are not common - 57 Chevy, 65 Mustang) then it becomes not a car, but a complex puzzle. But hey, people do puzzles for fun too. 

Just arrived in my yard is a 1960 Edsel six cylinder 2 dr sedan that was dismantled about like this Continental. (a worthless car)

I encouraged my friend to buy it and bring it over, because I know 1960 Fords/Edsels like the back of my hand. Coffee cans full of bolts, I can pretty much identify each one by sight. It IS turning out to be a fun puzzle of reassembly, and that is MY hobby. 🙂 

But even the $2000 or so of new parts needed to make it transportationable again will never be recovered. 

FYI - I did not see the wiring harnesses in the Continental parts. They are available but expensive. 

I agree, I actually asked a restoration company to take apart my Buick and restore it. Half the job was done, the part where he took it a part. Some parts will be very difficult to find and they won't occur to you until you get to that part of assembly. Six years later I am still looking for a gravel deflector ( fits in-between the trunk and rear bumper. Not all people who own the same model as mine know this part exists, but my car had this before it was taken apart. Bottom line, you don't know what you don't know.

• Like 2

I do not feel the auction company in this case is one best used for this purpose. It seems to be more of a company for foreclosed properties and repossessed things. I do not know why they didn’t empty the car out and take pictures of the interior without all the seats and clutter inside of it. They really didn’t excite on the car by saying that it was rust free and in really good shape. I would think it would be better placed on eBay than where it’s at right now. Remember I have seen this car and have better pictures of it than they do. I would’ve taken the parts out of those boxes and taking pictures of them like I did.

For what the car is I thought they did a very good presentation.. Of course I am used to looking at Craigslist seller's stuff and you just have to sit back and shake your head with them.

I would not be opposed to selling a project like that through a foreclosed or repossessed platform. Those are people looking for a bargain. Working outside their field there is a good chance a couple could delude themselves and think they were walking away with a bargain.

I am "always on the eternal search for the uniformed buyer". I'd certainly give it a try.

Presented well enough, but what kind of exposure and promotion is it getting from that auction company? Do any other enthusiasts besides us even know about it?

There's a difference between presentation and exposure with exposure being the more important of the two. If you can't find the bidders, it doesn't matter how many pictures you provide.

• Like 1

Currently at five grand.......not a bad deal if you're a Lincoln guy, know what you are doing, and can chance it and try to make it a runner with just labor..........assuming the engine is any good. Maybe the seller will wake up and take the five grand.......or what ever it ends up hammering at. Usually the first offer is the best offer......and in this case, any offer should be a SELL.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Big mistake. I assumed since the reserve was $10-12, I wasn't going bother bidding. Too bad. I would certainly have bid more than the sell price.

The downside to bidding is sometimes you actually win. I’ve gotten screwed by the “you can’t offend me with an offer” and next thing you know some jalopy is sitting in my garage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

These situations are tough. If the OP had offered her $5k to begin with the seller probably would've been offended and thought that he was trying to rip her off. Now as it stands she will be lucky to net $4k after the auction company gets their cut. I've seen this happen too many times.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Happens all the time. It is hard for sellers, including all of us on here, to understand the real market for our cars. It seems like 90% of everything is always worth half of what you think it is. At least when you’re selling.

Double what you think it's worth, then cut it  half. 😙

AJ if it’s worth half of what I think it’s worth does that mean my 38 Studebaker is worth a half a million? Because to me it’s worth a million. Maybe just maybe it’s time to think about selling?  No can’t do it. 
dave s 

On 11/2/2021 at 10:31 AM, edinmass said:

Currently at five grand.......not a bad deal if you're a Lincoln guy, know what you are doing, and can chance it and try to make it a runner with just labor..........assuming the engine is any good. Maybe the seller will wake up and take the five grand.......or what ever it ends up hammering at. Usually the first offer is the best offer......and in this case, any offer should be a SELL.

I wonder if my above comment made the guy drop the reserve. I think they did the right thing.......If your a Lincoln guy, and have time and are capable.......it was an “ok” deal if the engine is good. It’s still a gamble at that number. It was well bought & sold.

• 2 weeks later...