Where have the food vendors gone?

Charlie Petty

Hershey ain't what it used to be, but what  swap meet, antique show, etc. is?  Still, wouldn't miss it for the world.  I'm in my own little world walking the fields four days a year.  Can't give enough thanks to the volunteers who make it happen. 

I am wondering why the number of food vendors dwindles each year.  The workforce issue may have exacerbated the situation this year, but it has been a noticeable trend the past few years.  The "midways" in the chocolate and green fields were shells of their former selves this year.  I was shocked (and bummed because I am a pizza lover) to see no pizza at the foot of the bridge stairs. 

My guess would be that the food vendors have been dropping off because of declining sales, i.e., lower attendance.   

Oh well, I may have to start brown-bagging it, but I'll  be back.   

No, No, NO!!!!  The lack of more food vendors is due to one thing and one thing only....NO HELP!!!  The entire event was impacted by shortages in labor for businesses that support the fall meet.  Tents could not be put up, food vendors could not get staff, etc.  Hopefully, a pandemic-free 2022 will bring back our traditional vendors and they will have all the infrastructure they need to be successful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Seemed to me there were a few more than usual over by my spaces in the Green field in front of the Giant Center. I smelled at least an extra  1000 calories every day there, and there were plenty of folks enjoying it too. Crab cakes were great as usual.

Steve is right about staffing tho, I know a few vendors who had to source tents from as far away as Virginia.

Terry

29 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

No, No, NO!!!!  The lack of more food vendors is due to one thing and one thing only....NO HELP!!!  The entire event was impacted by shortages in labor for businesses that support the fall meet.  Tents could not be put up, food vendors could not get staff, etc.  Hopefully, a pandemic-free 2022 will bring back our traditional vendors and they will have all the infrastructure they need to be successful.

I'm sure others have been brainstorming of ways to insentivize things in order to bring in some of the favorite vendors that may have been missing. 
A .25 cent food tax on public admission and vendor spaces seems like it would be a simple solution that most folks wouldn't mind paying for the benefit of having more choices. 

Just a thought.

1 minute ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I'm sure others have been brainstorming of ways to insentivize things in order to bring in some of the favorite vendors that may have been missing. 
A .25 cent food tax on public admission and vendor spaces seems like it would be a simple solution that most folks wouldn't mind paying for the benefit of having more choices. 

Just a thought.

You want me to pay for somebody else's food choice?  I hope you think again.

Thanks to Steve for the reality check and the REAL story as to why there were some things at this years Hershey event that "weren't like it used to be or always was ". I am just glad and appreciative that the event took place at all!  Seeing friends after 2 years in person ( well a lot of them , many from Europe could not attend due to border restrictions) was the very best therapy of happiness that I have had in months, the same for my son. As Steve mentions , hopefully 2022 will be more of what we think a normal Hershey is like. Easy to bemoan what didn't happen, wasn't there, etc. BUT PLEASE GIVE THOSE WHO SPEND MONTHS TRYING TO MAKE IT ALL WORK SOME CREDIT AND LET THEM KNOW HOW MUCH YOU APPRECIATE THEIR EFFORTS. So easy to complain about how you were disappointed at something but it is so rare for people to take the time to just say Thanks.....................

End of sermon # 476

Walt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Seemed to me there were a few more than usual over by my spaces in the Green field in front of the Giant Center. I smelled at least an extra  1000 calories every day there, and there were plenty of folks enjoying it too. Crab cakes were great as usual.

Steve is right about staffing tho, I know a few vendors who had to source tents from as far away as Virginia.

Terry

There was still enough vendors to keep us from starving. One in particular in the Green field had the best sausage sandwich I’ve had since I swore off the Red Hot Smokies at Carlisle events many years ago. Now if you want to talk about hardship- they moved the Dunkin Donuts tent from the Green field to the opposite side of that @&$?& Bridge into the Chocolate  field. When you’re manning your vendor space by yourself and the DD is that far away, it leaves few options. I have to thank two brothers, one from Scranton and his brother from the UP of Michigan for bringing  me a coffee on Thursday morning. You meet the nicest folks at Hershey!

I said in my post I wouldn't miss Hershey for the world and I couldn't thank the volunteers enough, and I was wondering why food vendors were missing.  Oh yeah, I also said I would bring my own lunch next time.  No, I don't go there for the food either, but I do eat lunch most days.  

I'd hate to see the responses if I was actually being critical.        

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I guess I'm in the minority. I don't go to Hershey for the food.

Me either. But did realize how many ‘favorite restaurants’ we have in the Hershey / Harrisburg area. Including a new (for us) Mexican one next to our favorite hotel. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 10/15/2021 at 11:57 AM, mopar_earl said:

Parts, automotive eye candy, female eye candy, and food for me. Not to mention off work. Also I camp sun through sun so I get some camping in too.

Earl

The “female eye candy” is too busy dodging old men driving dangerously in golf carts to notice whether anyone is ogling them

Erica

• Haha 1