Guess my new toy

auburnseeker

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago.  So I've been holding out.  Surprisingly stumbled across it on craigslist and it was close, so I figured why not. I've wanted one for some time and was surprised to find one when I had a few extra bucks kicking around to pick it up.  I've been cleaning and servicing it some so I'll hopefully have better photos to come.  Here is a teaser photo.  What is it?

First clue it has alot of wood in it. 

Part of that cleaning is a full wet sand and buff as I hate orange peel and she has plenty as you can see. 

fullsizeoutput_268f.jpeg

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Thankfully not,  though he should have it in good order by the time he's done with it.  Or atleast die trying.   I just shed a car like that.  Will be good to wave it the final goodbye when it leaves next week, though I fixed most of the stuff that was wrong with it. 

What car did you sell?  How is the Auburn coming along???

Sold my 51 Dodge.  That money is going toward my business and a huge literature purchase.  The Auburn is patiently waiting in the corner.  Really need to tear into the engine.  Just finished the Dodge,  so I want a lighter polishing project for now before I tear stuff all apart and fill the garage back up with pieces. 

• Like 1

Hmm. Automotive, unusual factory louvers.

I was mostly joking with the 'stove' guess. When I was very little, a great uncle and aunt had a heater stove in their living room with similar louvers. And it was just about that color! On cold winter Nevada high desert nights, that stove was nice!

I seem to recall something I saw, maybe in the for sale section a month or few ago?

1 minute ago, Bleach said:

It's a 1928 Henway!🤪

... and when he asks What's a Henway,

the response is ;
"About Two and a Half Pounds"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's a damn good guess.  You didn't have help did you? 

Being they used a very similar design for several years to guess 48, you better play the lotto.

Here is a as delivered photo.  Quite a load for my Friend's roll Back.  

I'll post better photos as I get it more cleaned up and detailed. 

IMG_7034.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You didn't have help did you? 

Nope! I knew it was a truck so I simply started going through the ones I know. When this came up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRCc79g2h0c

I just knew it was it! Same truck?

Very, very, nice! Please keep us posted. 

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Yup that video is of the same truck.  Last owner didn't use it or do anything but kind of let it go downhill a bit for the 8 years he owned it. 

Its certainly in goods hands now! What a nice looking rig.

Here is a good history on Brockway for those that are interested. 

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/brockway/brockway.htm

• Like 1

I'll post photos as I get it polished up.  I took some good before ones so I'll have some comparisons.  I already wet sanded and buffed out the Door part of the cowl and now I'm working my way down the hood.  Did the front of the fenders as well to see how good I could make them look to start.  Huge difference.  Pulled the seats and cleaned the interior.  Unfortunately mice got in it and in the seats.  The look good all cleaned up but they got inside of them and made a mess.  I think this winter,  I'll pull them again and replace all the wood and batton.  Being they are vinyl I can clean the back sides and dry them,  Which should leave them like new. 

I already adjusted the Clutch, tightened the belts,  which seemed to have grown a size or two in storage and drained the 8 year old gas.  I haven't had a chance to run it off the fresh gas yet,  but being it actually ran and not terribly on the old gas,  it should really come to life with the fresh stuff.  

It was in a home made tent garage for the last 8 years and the sun shining in rotted the rear tires and the fronts are getting checked,  so it looks like 6 new tires are in order. 

The gauge cluster (the surround) is pretty much trash so I'm looking for a good one.  I believe a 33-34 Buick 40 series might be the same so I'm on the look out for one, or of course a nice one out of a Brockway would be even better.  Seems like there was a nice one on the Hamb for sale,  but that was 2 years ago and it sold.

I pulled the battery box cover and polished it with a semi polishing kit.  It's a PIA,  but boy it comes up nice,  so all the diamond plate is coming off for a full polish.  Being I can keep it inside, it should stay polished nicely. 

Dad drove truck for years and I went on several day trips with him, so I've always been drawn to semis.  Saw an old White for sale a few years ago,  but it was kind of rough.,  Started thinking I needed one.  

I saw a few various ones for sale but for one reason or another they didn't work out.  This one popped up on Craigslist at a good price 8 miles from my house.  I took a look and gave it a little thought.  Made a very close offer on it,  but the owner wouldn't budge so I pulled the trigger a couple of days later. 

Brought it home while the wife was off camping and surprised her when I opened the garage door and it was sitting there when she got back. 

She was cool with it though and even encouraged me to go look at it,  the first time I saw it listed. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

The gauge cluster (the surround) is pretty much trash so I'm looking for a good one.

Have you checked with the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society) folks yet? Another resource is the "Just old trucks" forum

https://aths.org/

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Default.aspx

There is also a Brockway Truck Preservation Society https://www.facebook.com/brockwaytrucks/

I believe they are having their national show this weekend (today)  in Cortland New York!

• Like 1

In the early 1970s when Brockway was still being made in Courtland, New York in August during the annual Franklin Car Club week long car meet ( they call a trek) and reunion ( former Franklin employees that were still living also attended , thus the reunion mention) we drove south from the meet location in Cazenovia, NY to Courtland and toured the Brockway plant and upon leaving went through the gift shop and I bought this new gold plated mascot that they would mount on a newly built truck. Have looked at it for over 45 years as a memory of a really fun day and experience.

Read this post,  so took this down from its shelf and dusted it off ( now sneezing) to take a photo of it to share here.

Walt

Brockway ornament.jpg

• Like 9

There is a big truck show in Ballston Spa NY every fall.  I hope they have it this year.  I won't be taking it,  but would be nice to go see the trucks again.  I was there pre covid and it was huge.  They filled nearly the entire fairgrounds. Of course lots of trucks from Canada so if they don't open the border completely attendance may be down. 

Neglected to mention when I posted the photo of the truck mascot/hood ornament. We drove our Franklins to the Brockway plant and back. Parked them around the factory location and several former and current ( then) factory employees heard we were coming and came by to look at the cars. Great to talk to them and being a good listener , hear their stories. Franklin car owners have a tendency to drive their cars ( or used to) not see them go in/on a trailer and the fellows at the Brockway plant - even then - were a bit taken aback when I told them that I drove my 1931 Franklin (Derham bodied victoria) to and from the Franklin meet from long island - in 80+ degree August heat - usually a 3+ hour trip one way up Rt 17 then north on Rt 81.  In that one week door to door there and back and adding the tours I usually put on a minimum of 1,000 miles.  Great time, car always ran like a champ.

On the road at speed my Franklin was comfortable ( up or down long grades) at about 53 to 57 mph.

Walt

• Like 3

Your Brockway is gorgeous and no doubt will be more so when you're done with it.  I'm a sucker for burgundy/maroon paint and trucks in general.  Dad was a trucker, mostly IH and Dodge - took me along sometimes.

• Like 1

The wet sand and buff really brings the paint to a sparkle.  I'll try to get an in progress photo tomorrow.  The louvers on the hood are a real PIA to wet sand and buff,  which I'm doing by hand on them so I don't catch the buffer or burn through on the raised edges.  I'm about half way down one side of it.  I'm using 2000 grit.  Would love to go 1500 but that leaves too big of scratches to buff out by hand and I always never seem to get all the scratches out when I then go 2000 to buff if I go 1500 first, especially being at eye level.