Pebble Beach - Monterey Car Week 2021

alsancle

It wasn't a disappointment but it didn't have the feel of lets say 2019 with the Bullet Car and Ed Roth's Hot Rods and a large field of Porsche Race Cars.  The show had a smaller field and was later than normal which I know didn't help.  Still had a large amount of beautiful cars but didn't have the feel of the past.  Almost impossible to get a restaurant reservation unless staying there and also the lounge unless you know somebody.  Food on the field not that great.  I go every year and will go for many more because March at Amelia is a great destination. 

Understand, but considering the pandemic and everything causing uncontrollable issues.......I thought it was as good as it ever was. With so many venues changing hands, the future of the shows is uncertain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Reicholzheimer said:

It wasn't a disappointment but it didn't have the feel of lets say 2019 with the Bullet Car and Ed Roth's Hot Rods and a large field of Porsche Race Cars.  The show had a smaller field and was later than normal which I know didn't help.  Still had a large amount of beautiful cars but didn't have the feel of the past.  Almost impossible to get a restaurant reservation unless staying there and also the lounge unless you know somebody.  Food on the field not that great.  I go every year and will go for many more because March at Amelia is a great destination. 

I guess I'll agree it wasn't up to its usual standards.   But I was so excited to go to a car event I was ignoring some of the short comings.   Biggest issue for me was that you need to stay at the Ritz to enter the Ritz.   That means the guys like me that are there for 5 days but stay at a flea bitten hotel were screwed.

• Like 1

A Monterey Car week "how to" thread would be very useful.   I still don't know how a person driving in for just the show parks and gets to the field.  Everybody I know or asked was either part of showing a car or paid the 1k for the special parking pass.   I see the cars parked along the ocean on our way out,  and the buses, but that didn't look too organized to me.

Also,  would love to know how you do it with someone that can't hike 2 miles.   Lots of older people, but they all fall in to the special group.  How does a regular guy who is older or limited do it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A.J. your last few lines say it all. Consideration for people of every age needs to be done for any event from a upper shelf concours to a local cruise night . This seems not to have been done, perhaps the powers that be , the elite in charge will maybe think about this for next year. So maybe/perhaps/sort of they should start now ???  Charity events need to take into account who is going to donate to their worthy cause . I have been involved with events that wanted support for decades - both automotive and historical preservation based. One has to look beyond your basic needs if you want the support of all, dissatisfied people will spread the word about that more so then the praise for a great time. The negative always gets magnified more then the positive............... it  seems to be the nature to recall what wasn't ( for what ever reason) then what was - which is usually expected.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, alsancle said:

A Monterey Car week "how to" thread would be very useful.   I still don't know how a person driving in for just the show parks and gets to the field.  Everybody I know or asked was either part of showing a car or paid the 1k for the special parking pass.   I see the cars parked along the ocean on our way out,  and the buses, but that didn't look too organized to me.

Also,  would love to know how you do it with someone that can't hike 2 miles.   Lots of older people, but they all fall in to the special group.  How does a regular guy who is older or limited do it?

Good observation. I am just under 60, could def be in better health but my knees are all but wore out. I get up and go to work everyday and dont consider myself in the handicap category at all. BUT, the walk from the parking field to the swap meet in Hershey just about does me in!

We went to Amelia Island this year. I am considered a disabled handicapped guy as I have braces on both legs. We didn’t stay at the ritz or have parking passes. At this event parking is available and they even provided golf cart rides from the lot to the field so the distance was not a problem. Walking the fields to see the cars was more of a challenge than I expected but not anything the event could control. It was due to the contour of the land and spread out field. Inconsiderate spectators that would bump and crowd you and hit my cane is all part of the game in my book and  that kind of behavior in today’s world has to be tolerated if you go to events. I am not saying it’s right just a fact.  Ed hit the nail on the head when he said that society is going down hill and is very inconsiderate. 
dave s 

edit note— we had a great time. So much so we are going to the Hilton Head event coming up. Hopefully we will go back again next year. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, SC38DLS said:

Inconsiderate spectators that would bump and crowd you and hit my cane is all part of the game in my book and  that kind of behavior in today’s world has to be tolerated if you go to events. I am not saying it’s right just a fact.  Ed hit the nail on the head when he said that society is going down hill and is very inconsiderate. 

There have been several threads about the (mis)use of golf carts and other mobility devices at Hershey here on this Forum.  

Craig

3 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

There have been several threads about the (mis)use of golf carts and other mobility devices at Hershey here on this Forum.  

Craig

Like the time I was literally run down and over at Amelia by a golf cart..........while on a SIDEWALK........ by an ass driving fast with hundreds of pedestrians around. I was bleeding........there should be NO CARTS on any field. The little scooters are fifty times safer than carts.

• Like 4

The carts I had access to were only from the parking lot to just outside the show field. Carts should not be on the field. 
When I first got the braces on in order to walk we were still going to horse combine training events (our daughter rode in international events) Rolex in Lexington was the PB of horse events in the USA and allowed golf carts everywhere. I too have been knocked down by inconsiderate turkeys (read that word as a polite description) and have been tempted to retaliate with my heavy brass knob ended cane made of 1 1/2 inch oak!  Very similar to a base ball bat in length. If a cop hadn’t been there to stop me, I probably would have been arrested for assault. He stepped between me and the turkey. I got lucky I guess 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Like the time I was literally run down and over at Amelia by a golf cart..........while on a SIDEWALK........ by an ass driving fast with hundreds of pedestrians around. I was bleeding........there should be NO CARTS on any field. The little scooters are fifty times safer than carts.

I still can’t believe you never figured out that was me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, alsancle said:

I still can’t believe you never figured out that was me.

Sorry, the Stearns had an accident while driving too fast.......it was rather severe. It happened tomorrow. 😇

Thanks for the McDonalds happy meal and the Seven Eleven hot dog at pebble............😜

• Haha 3

Regardless of all the terrible things AJ’s wife, children, family, and close friends say about him........he’s really not THAT bad. Recently his dog started to like him also............who would have guessed? 😎

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Sorry, the Stearns had an accident while driving too fast.......it was rather severe. It happened tomorrow. 😇

Thanks for the McDonalds happy meal and the Seven Eleven hot dog at pebble............😜

Monterey car week is the only place on earth where you need a home equity line to pay for dinner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi all,  I will throw in my 2 cents for what it’s worth.  I do like Pebble a lot , it of course works great for me as I live exactly one hour away, except during car week so let’s make that 2 1/2 hours away for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have been lucky enough to go on the Tour d’Elagance a couple of times which I love .  At the actual Concours on Sunday I am not sure what I like best, either seeing the original design and craftsmanship of these cars or the skill of the restorer.  A close second is the one chance a year to see old friends, new friends and make friends.  My way of thinking is cars are just cars without the stories of how they were made or who owned them or how they were found, what it took to get them back on the road.  So it’s really about the people.

I now want to mention that there is a show here on the West coast that is lesser known that is a jewel as it kind of answers some of the concerns that I have been reading here.  I am talking about the Ironstone concours d’Elagance in Murphy’s Ca. In late September.  This show is celebrating its 25th year , it has about 300 cars that have something for everyone horseless, nickel, classic , postwar, sport, European ect. This is a place that you will find very nice home restoration to pebble beach quality, what you will not find is modified, hot rods or restorods. The guy who puts this show together is Chris Bock, he is the chief judge at Pebble Beach so you know it is done right. This year I will go up on Thursday and enjoy dining in Murphy’s, Friday I will go on their car tour up to a lake and have lunch on a houseboat, Saturday is the show from 9:00 to 4:00.  It will cost me $75 to show my car, they throw in 2 entrance tickets.  General spectator tickets are $25 . The only issue is hotel rooms, they are not expensive but within a month of the show all the one that are close by book up.  Last month I booked rooms in Angels Camp about 10 miles from show in a very nice hotel for $200 per night, worse case there are plenty of hotels and selection in Stockton which is a 1 hour drive.  So if you do the math you can take a friend , show your car, have a great meal, stay at a decent hotel for the cost of 2 tickets to Pebble. I say this not to knock Pebble (see above)

i am just saying that there are some options that are overlooked

• Like 6

Also, the San Marino show in Lacey Park (Pasadena) is very well done, and I have taken cars there several times. Aaron runs a great show, and it's very very reasonable. I have seen 2.9 Alfa's, Duesenbergs, and a bunch of other great stuff show up....probably 400 to 500 cars. It's this weekend for those of you in LA. Leno parked a few cars over from us last time, and Orrin's kids got a photo op. All fun......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A thread on how to do Pebble *relatively* inexpensively would be a great idea.   Make a hotel reservation as early as you can; buy tickets before they raise the price in August; list of places you can eat cheaply and easily, etc.

In terms of regular attendee parking, my recollection is that they direct you to parking lots away from the show; you then get a shuttle bus that takes you to the event; and that from there you walk to the entrance (a decently long walk, though). At the end of the show, you reverse that, getting a shuttle bus back to the parking lots.  It takes a while, but you get there eventually.  On the other hand, if you happen to know someone who lives right near the entrance who will let you park there, I do recommend that as an alternative.  :)

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I will let others argue about whether this was a good Pebble Beach or not.  What I would really like to commend is all the pictures on this post.  Most of us will get several magazines with the show coverage and they might have ten or twenty pictures at the most.  This post has page after page of gorgeous pictures of the cars that were there.  I don't think that most of the pictures were taken by professional photographers like the ones in the magazines but they are quite good and there are so many of them.  The post gives a much better picture of what the car show was all about and it was spectacular.  Good work guys!

• Like 13

3 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Best of Show...frequently cited as inspiration for...1934 Packard Twelve 1106 sport coupe

'34 Packard 12 LeBaron Aero coupe - Hershey '19.JPG

I hate to say it but the Sindelfingen version is much better.  Do the dates line up? The 540k that won best of show is much later than 1934, but there was an earlier 500k version.  500k production started in 1934.

40 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I hate to say it but the Sindelfingen version is much better.  Do the dates line up? The 540k that won best of show is much later than 1934, but there was an earlier 500k version.  500k production started in 1934.

AJ: 

I could get drummer out of the Packard Club for stating so but the 1934 Twelve Sport Coupe is tall and ungainly, not one of their most sterling design efforts.  Let the brickbats fly!

Steve

• Haha 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Steve.....your analysis is spot on. 

Thanks Ed, They have had to section a good 4 to five inches from the body sides to get anywhere with those 540K proportions.   How Packard might have fit the twelve and provided enough radiator capacity had they done so is beyond me.   Tall-topped fastbacks never come off looking good...we all remember the Rambler Marlin!   

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:05 AM, Billy Kingsley said:

Just catching up on this thread. There are some amazing cars posted, many of which I don't recognize. What's this one? 

I think I would feel out of place and "less than" there for sure. The pocket change on some of these guys is likely more than I'll ever see in my whole life combined!

There is no request for a financial statement, you just need a love of Vintage cars, and some knowledge to go with it. Flight home to Westchester Airport was $164.00 Bob 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alsancle said:

Top of the line shuttle bus survive is FREE. I'll post some photos, parking is FREE too! This was our 4th year there and the best so far! Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1