Car Lingo You Hate

TAKerry

5 hours ago, West Peterson said:

As opposed to miles that aren't "actual"? I think the correct term is simply .... "miles". A mile is a mile. An actual mile, or an original mile, is still 5,280 feet.

Neither  term, be they correct or incorrect, are an attempt to define a mile, but to determine how far the vehicle has been driven. Has the odometer been tampered with or replaced? My speedo cable on my bike broke a while back so the odometer reading shows original miles, some would say, but not actual miles or actual mileage for the more pedantic

The one that aggravates me is the "fully loaded" description.  Go look at a car described as "fully loaded" to find out it has no options, just what it came with as standard equipment.

Tim   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 76 Caddy said:

The one that aggravates me is the "fully loaded" description.  Go look at a car described as "fully loaded" to find out it has no options, just what it came with as standard equipment.

Tim   

My wife accused me of being "fully loaded" a few times ,and I knew I room for a several more. It always aggravated me when she said I was loaded

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pfeil said:

Went to the local donut shop cruise this morning. About 50/50 of the guys knew what a big slip D was. They were mostly guys in the 75+ years range.

It's probably early onset dementia.

3 hours ago, 76 Caddy said:

Or it might describe the free handgun in the glove compartment.

Craig

I think we are now a generation removed from people selling cars that never knew what a 5 digit odometer was. I tend to start fights in Facebook groups when someone clearly has a vehicle with 100k or 200k miles being advertised as only having “57k original miles”. Sure dude. That worn out floor mat and seat springs sticking thru the duct tape upholstery begs to differ. 

• Haha 3

i’ve got a 21000 mile original mile restored fully loaded longroof with a big slip daddy.

“Then how to differentiate between a car that has 21,000 miles from new and a car that has 21,000 miles on a restoration where the speedometer was reset to 0?”

hope the seller is honest. and look at telltale signs. 

(personally nobody should reset the odometer.)

say you see 21000 miles on that car. automatically add a one to the front of it. heck.  it’s still low mileage for the age.

longroof sounds more exotic. 

being a 1950 born socal brat i knew what the beach boys were singing about. pink slip daddy. my dad and then i had a bunch of those (and cars) for years that time. and for clarification… socal IS southern california.

oh yeah. original miles on my 68 fully loaded looooong roof. right. probably should add a ‘one’ to that or maybe even a ‘two’

48408721-7AE5-413E-ADB5-350A5803FB3C.jpeg

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 5:03 PM, mrspeedyt said:

I remember as a kid to hear the term “fully equipped” on tv car ads. Radio, heater and white wall tires!

On a very early VW Beetle, that was all one was offered to make it "fully equipped".

Craig

3 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

How about "Poverty caps" ? 

All the same object, just different lingo:

Hub Caps

Dog Dish Caps

Poverty Caps

8 minutes ago, CarlLaFong said:

Rear windshield and, yes, I am aware of dual cowl cars

My car has side windshields too. . . If they are rolled down a lot of wind gets into the car, rolled up they block all that wind. :)

13 hours ago, ply33 said:

My car has side windshields too. . . If they are rolled down a lot of wind gets into the car, rolled up they block all that wind. :)

Just goes to show, that no matter what you say, there is always one person that will tell you that you're wrong.

Kinda funny, I was at my mothers this morning cutting grass. Went inside to converse for a bit. She was watching The Price is Right. One of the prizes was a car. The announcer stated "A brand new car!"  Mom immediately piped in, 'I hate when they say brand new car, they arent giving away an old car'.  I thought of this thread right away.

32 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Kinda funny, I was at my mothers this morning cutting grass. Went inside to converse for a bit. She was watching The Price is Right. One of the prizes was a car. The announcer stated "A brand new car!"  Mom immediately piped in, 'I hate when they say brand new car, they arent giving away an old car'.  I thought of this thread right away.

American English is funny. I often wonder why we use certain terms or phrases. Is "Brand New" different from "New"? Why do we say "How come?" instead of "Why"? I spend too much time pondering such silly minutiae.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I think they have given away some vintage cars on that show in the past. (At least I recall a mid 50s Buick on there once).

Contestants didn't have to guess the price of the car but could win it via some other game.

Just googled this

1 hour ago, CarlLaFong said:

American English is funny. I often wonder why we use certain terms or phrases. Is "Brand New" different from "New"? Why do we say "How come?" instead of "Why"? I spend too much time pondering such silly minutiae.

Yes, me too. I often wonder why the word "up" is needed when referring to some task. Polish up, cut up, open up, close up, stopped up, brighten up, light up, lock up, wake up, add up, sweep up .......

2 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

From quick and dirty tips;

Americans started using the phrase "how come" in the mid-1800s. It comes from older phrases such as "how comes it that...?" Although the word "how" has had a sense of "why" in its meaning for hundreds of years, "how come" is still considered to be more informal than "why."

44 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Not topic related but also seems that lots of things break in the south. They are always 'fixin to do somethin'  

As for older phrases "how comes it that?" Sounds like talking to the Amish.

"When are you fixin' to do that?"

"Directly" which can mean in a moment, or next week.🙃

Let's not even talk about directions, when discussing which direction to travel to get somewhere. Up to, down to, over to, or yonder, depending on your starting point. "Up to" generally refers to going north or west, "down to" east or south, and "over to" north or south -east or -west. "Yonder" means in a general direction but closer by than up, down or over.

As in "I'm fixin' to ride over to Yanceyville" (15 mi southwest) or "I'm going yonder to Milton to get pizza for supper, be back directly" (3 miles away) or "Going down to South Boston to see Aunt Pat tomorrow" (20 mi east).

Hey, we understand which way to go!😎😏

###

We have a sleazy little car lot here who refers to his vehicles as "units" which has always grated on me. "Can I interest ya in this little unit today? Good car, got a 3 day 100 mile warranty!"

🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

"Up to" generally refers to going north or west, "down to" east or south,

Well, for your location, those are the correct directions! Works here also.😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CarlLaFong said:

Nope. Trick question. Either is correct. "My house burned".

www.quora.com/Why-do-we-say-a-house-burns-down-when-the-fire-is-burning-up

People also ask

Does a house burn up or burn down?

Houses tend not to be completely consumed by fire. There are surviving roof rafters, burnt walls, scraps and metal appliances remaining. These remains often collapse on themselves, they "burn down." When we describe ourselves as burning up, we mean we feel like we will go up in a puff of heat and smoke.

39 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

www.quora.com/Why-do-we-say-a-house-burns-down-when-the-fire-is-burning-up

People also ask

Does a house burn up or burn down?

Houses tend not to be completely consumed by fire. There are surviving roof rafters, burnt walls, scraps and metal appliances remaining. These remains often collapse on themselves, they "burn down." When we describe ourselves as burning up, we mean we feel like we will go up in a puff of heat and smoke.

I hate to go all OT but according to my HS English teacher who had an advanced degree in English "The house burned is grammatically correct. We're not talking about the degree of destruction, the direction of the flames or their intensity or any other meaningless addendums to the statement. Many in class that day offered all of these reasons for their thoughts. She listened and told us that these were fine arguments but do not alter what is proper correct English. It was an interesting exercise but no grades were involved. 

15 minutes ago, CarlLaFong said:

I hate to go all OT but according to my HS English teacher who had an advanced degree in English "The house burned is grammatically correct. We're not talking about the degree of destruction, the direction of the flames or their intensity or any other meaningless addendums to the statement. Many in class that day offered all of these reasons for their thoughts. She listened and told us that these were fine arguments but do not alter what is proper correct English. It was an interesting exercise but no grades were involved. 

I doubt you hate to go OT, otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. I still stand by my answer and what I read to substantiate it.

Lets drop it , shall we?

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

If we're going to get into proper use of english then we will need a new forum title. This could go on for ever. Why does Slim chance and Fat chance mean the same thing or when they tear down a building, they raise it. How far up do they raise it???

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hook said:

...when they tear down a building, they raise it.  How far up do they raise it???

They raze a building;  they don't raise it.

But I agree that our subject will be best if

we stay on the topic.

Another silly word in car-for-sale ads is "Wow."

Is the seller really that excited about his car

that he writes down the exclamation?

If so, wouldn't he be more inclined to keep the car?

Or is he trying to create false enthusiasm in a

prospective buyer?

I appreciate sellers who are genuine, honest, realistic

in their pricing, and thorough in their ad text!