The Wandering White Thread - A Custom 1915 Rare White Finds A Good Home In Florida

The engine I was referring to is a five hundred cubic inch six cylinder.............and extremely complex, timing gears, dual cams, an absolutely insane project and accomplishment..........I can’t disclose what it is........think along the lines of Simplex, Loco, or Pierce........it’s that huge.......and very early......pre 1912.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The engine I was referring to is a five hundred cubic inch six cylinder.............and extremely complex, timing gears, dual cams, an absolutely insane project and accomplishment..........I can’t disclose what it is........think along the lines of Simplex, Loco, or Pierce........it’s that huge.......and very early......pre 1912.

Sounds like a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost engine.  

13 hours ago, LI_BENTLEY said:

Rims and wheel hardware were cadmium plated when new.  Good luck in getting that done today.

I expect dull zinc electroplate could be substituted for the cad. plating on all but the most exacting restoration. Something about painted rims and lock rings etc that always look out of place to my eyes. By the model AA Ford era I think many truck rims were painted from the factory. They must have looked like crap by the fourth or fifth tire change or flat repair. So easy to chip the paint when dealing with this style of wheels.

21 hours ago, George K said:

Ed we disagree about the dating of your #2 White. I believe this answers all the questions.

George

As the author of this thread and as 

the person who personally chose

Ed Minnie to be the new Caretaker

of this White ….

I am going to ask you nicely …

one time only …

to refrain from posting any

further comments that are 

not of a positive or informative 

nature ⚠️

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I expect dull zinc electroplate could be substituted for the cad. plating on all but the most exacting restoration. Something about painted rims and lock rings etc that always look out of place to my eyes. By the model AA Ford era I think many truck rims were painted from the factory. They must have looked like crap by the fourth or fifth tire change or flat repair. So easy to chip the paint when dealing with this style of wheels.

This outfit does beautiful cad plating:  Electroplating Service Provider Calgary | Home | Wespen Industries

Some work I've had done by them:

IMG_3548.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

• Like 1

Strange coincidence, just yesterday I was over at a fellows place where he was doing a very correct restoration of a early Jag E type. Quite a few parts of the suspension were cad. plated from the factory. He had the plating redone at a plating shop in Alberta , most likely the same place.  It looked like great work.  Possibly the only place in Western Canada still doing cad. ?

43 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

George

As the author of this thread and as 

the person who personally chose

Ed Minnie to be the new Caretaker

of this White ….

I am going to ask you nicely …

one time only …

to refrain from posting any

further comments that are 

not of a positive or informative 

nature ⚠️

Jim

I am positive that all I have said and posted is informative and factual. I am open to any real rebuttal about any point that I have made. Is this a automobile or a fan club site?  Why threaten me about an open and real discussion?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

There will be a brief intermission while I get over COVID for the second time in four months........😘

Perhaps you need to be more careful choosing who you associate with, Ed!  🙂

I'll be wearing PPE when you visit before Pebble....

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

There will be a brief intermission while I get over COVID for the second time in four months........😘

Lie about your age and get a fourth  shot! And I don’t mean the liquid that comes from Canada in a bottle, although that may help too! 
Get better soon. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grimy said:

Perhaps you need to be more careful choosing who you associate with, Ed!  🙂

I'll be wearing PPE when you visit before Pebble....

The Catholic Church says “using one of them things is a sin!” From the movie Patriot Games.......😏

George......can’t wait to kiss you when I see you! 😘

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Grimy said:

Where's the "barf" emoji when I need one?

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Lie about your age and get a fourth  shot! And I don’t mean the liquid that comes from Canada in a bottle, although that may help too! 

I would go for the second solution,  after the first 3 didn't work.  Atleast you know the short and long term effects of #2 and it also provides immediate relief. ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The first time I got it, it was maybe a moderate cold with strange symptoms,  Second round I'm still waiting for it to try to set in.  Wife got it twice as well.  Hers was a mild cold first time and a mild cold the second time lasted about 3 days.  Maybe mine was less if nearly nonexistent the second time because I had it a little worse and longer than her the first, though I've walked Hershey with much worse colds.  I still went out and cut trees,  went for mile long  steep trail hikes didn't seem to phase any part of that.  Who knows.  Definitely something I have never experienced in 47 years if colds and flues.  Chills with no fever. A come and go sore throat that never got bad and disappeared many times.  Almost like it was designed,  but we know that's not the truth. Those darn bats.  Wait until I get my hand on some of them as soon as they thaw out from winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never eat a bat cooked medium rare.............actually, eating moonbats is bad for your health no matter how much you cook them. Fortunately this time is very, very mild.......just working 2/3 of a day....and staying away from people I like, as for the ones who piss me off...........I give them a hug and kiss! 😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Feel better soon Ed. I'm out on the left coast and Going to the Portland, OR Meet. If I find any Great White parts cheep, I'll be sure to pick them up for you. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Covidx2 and a battle to the death of new tires for the White............3 1/2 done..........and me feeling like my ass was kicked...........half way through number four my pressure dropped and I woke up next to the tire on the floor a few minutes later. I must have been out for less than two minutes. Feels like I went ten rounds with Mike Tyson and I was using my head to hit him...........we shall take a few more days off before we begin again. This set of tires is easily the most difficult I have ever done..........and that is quite a statement.

21DA84AA-E68C-4634-9090-D570E3C88B71.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Ed, Mike Tyson is the guy who said “Everyone has a plan until you get hit in the mouth”. Stick to your plan and get better, the tire will still be ready to go a few more rounds a week from now. 
dave s 

Ed 👋

I can relate to the hard work.

I spent Wednesday in Mansfield Ohio

changing out my power steering pump

and hoses in an O'Reilly's parking lot.

At least I was relatively healthy.

Guess I just missed 6+ inches of rain over the past two days in Melbourne Florida.

Dropping off in Ocala today and then headed down to drop off in Naples on Tuesday.

Jim

• Haha 1

I should be ok Wednesday if you want to stop by.......I’m about three hours away from Naples using the back roads.........nice easy drive I did two weeks ago.

• Like 1

Well im still battling with the clutch plate, i made up a lever in the form of a piece of heavy angle iron with two studs welded through to fit into the holes on the plate,  the plate has been soaking in diesel for a few weeks, still wouldnt budge, so i tried tapping all around with a small hammer and then tried heat again but to no avail !

back to soaking in diesel, if it doesnt come free in a couple more weeks i think i will put it in my molasses bath, 

i think theres around 1/2” to 3/4” of thread around the outside edge of the plate and that sure is a lot of surface area for rust to hold onto??

i have 2 spare clutches but they are way rustier and look like they came out of the titanic!!! 
ive added a few more ‘non progress’

pictures of the clutch

one other bit of good news is ive found a set of wooden wheels on a white frame similar to mine, i actually have bought the whole frame which had no rad or engine, a good friend  is picking it up tommorow and is going to remove all the parts i want and crate them up, so i suppose its sort of progress?

Cheers mike

E4C4BC62-B911-45B3-9CFD-8B015226B54E.jpeg

1FDF31D6-09E6-479C-B035-F4DF8B89324E.jpeg

587D15C1-EDD9-449F-88BD-D1B6EE56D22F.jpeg

47D3ECF9-A606-4F08-A575-433E4D6AFB30.jpeg

CD96BAC1-76F1-4124-8090-6B509DE27080.jpeg

D1FCDCE5-8775-4420-AF97-09EFE87ACD74.jpeg

924A4EDC-8BBE-46C0-BA0A-B36F493D3C0A.jpeg

Putting all your leverage on one side of a long lever causes the torque to push to one side. That in turn causes it to bind somewhat (especially if there is any roughness, like rust in the threads). Get a little longer piece of iron, weld your pins to engage the disc near the middle. Then with the help of a friend or two, carefully push evenly (as much as you can?) from both sides. That allows the torque to center, reduces the binding, and sometimes makes just enough difference to allow the pieces to slide loose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I would use a rosebud on a torch or one of those propane tank attachments that they use to burn weeds on it. It doesn’t need to get red hot, but the expansion of the flywheel should break the bond of rust between them. I often get stuck clutches on cars to release just by letting the car idle for an hour……it takes that long for the heat from the engine to transfer into the clutch plate. Using vibration with an air hammer should also help…….just be careful not to damage anything. Lots of machine shops have ovens today to clean blocks and parts……..that would be another option. I’m not too sure soaking it and leverage will release it with the amount of contact area you are dealing with.

• Thanks 1

New tires are on………and a few other odds and ends attended too. We will be pulling the transmission soon, and doing a clutch. It will be interesting to see how they differ among the years………

B66D8935-0C2D-4EAB-B47B-7405E6189F49.jpeg

8A1066D3-0344-4B05-9334-2C490F042081.jpeg

• Like 6

Congratulations we will send the championship belt for tire wrestling as soon as we find one. The Great White fleet is beginning to roll 

dave s 

edit ps - before you ask there is NO price money or anything thing else associated with this wrestling honor. 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1