Is this 1934 Packard correct?

Graham Man

I'm not crazy about the color either, but it is a LeBaron bodied Speedster. 12 cylinder. If it were mine, I would get used to the color.

• Like 2

They are ridiculously rare. And only a few originals survive, all in the worlds greatest collections. They built a handful of reproductions. I would guess a real car would trade in numbers approaching eight figures......if you could get a chance to buy one.......... I have no clue about the history of the green car you posted.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

According to some websites -- I don't know if they're accurate -- this is a genuine LeBaron speedster that was shown at the 1934 Chicago World's Fair.  I agree the painted grill is too much, but to my mind, pretty much the ultimate car, like, ever.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1048273_quail-2010-a-pair-of-packards

I know the owners of three of the real ones..........and theirs are not green...........so now the math is narrowed down to one in eight.

• Haha 1

Kermit was an inspiration for the color. I will never comprehend why people paint cars outrageous colors that do not reflect the the era and taste the cars were built in. There are exceptions to the rule of course, but in the Depression era years right up until WWII happened conservative colors were on just about everything from cars to homes. A bright color is "in your face" states look at me, I want to be seen. With the economic climate of the Depression wealthy people did not want to be noticed because they at least for the most part realized that some people could not afford $1.00 per day for food.

What is the fellow who painted the car vomit green trying to tell people?

I have hundreds of larger pre war color chips of the 1928-34 era and there is no color for any make of car that even comes close to that.  A possibly historic car with grand styling that suffers from a poor choice in color because someone "had the power" to make it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Walt G said:

What is the fellow who painted the car vomit green trying to tell people?

Have you seen some of these "Paint to Sample" Porsche colors lately, not to mention some Rolls-Royce colors?  Admittedly, there are some colors on the Mercedes Benz and BMW palette that do leave a little to be desired.

Craig

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I thought that monochromatic grills came from the 1980s. Be interesting to learn more about this one.

I agree, be it period photos of it, or maybe even the Production Order if its still extant.

There is a 1974 Bentley T where the grille was special ordered body color.   Someone changed it to the standard chrome grille in intervening years, and the current owner is debating whether to change it back as per factory delivered.  I 'voted' for him to change to 'as delivered' as it pre-dates the factory's painting of the Bentley Turbo grille by a good ten years.

Craig

Craig, they want to be noticed, feel important, have people say "who owns that"? , and get recognition any way they can. It is their way to get attention. I would rather be anonymous . If it is a pre WWII era car and historically correct/accurate then just be proud of the fact that you managed to get that car to the way it was new 80-100 years ago.

Would the same people who choose really bright colors for cars like this also own an English Tudor Style house and paint the stucco orange, and the wood trim baby blue and any brick or stonework yellow?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Craig, they want to be noticed, feel important, have people say "who owns that"? , and get recognition any way they can. It is their way to get attention. I would rather be anonymous . If it is a pre WWII era car and historically correct/accurate then just be proud of the fact that you managed to get that car to the way it was new 80-100 years ago.

Would the same people who choose really bright colors for cars like this also own an English Tudor Style house and paint the stucco orange, and the wood trim baby blue and any brick or stonework yellow?

Personally I would rather be anonymous which is why I use a fake name on the forum.   😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The old saying "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" really does apply to this subject.

I would NEVER order a car in gaudy colors like you see on some today.  

On the other hand, if I happened to find a vintage car that was factory painted in special order gaudy colors for the era, or even now, I would do what it takes to keep it as original.  Some years ago, we were asked if we would ever be embarrassed driving a pink car.   I said, depending on the year and make, I would NOT at all be embarrassed, especially if it was a 1955 Studebaker President Speedster in Coraltone/Pimlico Gray/Shasta White, 1956 Packard Caribbean in Maltese Gray/Scottish Heather (pink)/Dover White,  or a 1956 Lincoln in Wysteria, etc.  But a new car in a pink color? Yes it would most likely be embarrassing.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Packard would paint your car any color you wanted. 

The fact is true and the same held true for most car manufacturers and many many people who own pre war cars over the decades have justified the colors they painted their cars with the statement " for an extra $50 you could have the car painted any color you wanted"  but the fact is that most of the people didn't want it painted outrageous' in you face 'colors. Of all the 1920-40 pre war Packards how many original paint cars have you seen painted in bright colors on the level of the green car here? I would be most interested to see any printed data issued by the Packard Company in that era stating "we will paint your car your color" . If that exists then it will justify all the colors now chosen and throw my statement out the window.

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The fact is true and the same held true for most car manufacturers and many many people who own pre war cars over the decades have justified the colors they painted their cars with the statement " for an extra $50 you could have the car painted any could you wanted"  but the fact is that most of the people didn't want it painted outrageous' in you face 'colors. Of all the 1920-40 pre war Packards how many original paint cars have you seen painted in bright colors on the level of the green car here? I would be most interested to see any printed data issued by the Packard Company in that era stating "we will paint your car your color" . If that exists then it will justify all the colors now chosen and throw my statement out the window.

There were many prewar Packards that were sold 'chassis only' and the respective coachbuilder such as Rollson who applied the final coat of paint.  It would be their build records one would have to consult.

As well there were genuine postwar Packard taxicabs with the opening rear window painted in standout colors for obvious reasons in NYC and other major cities.

Craig

9 minutes ago, alsancle said:

True.   But how many cars were destroyed in the 70s, 80s and 90s and that statement was used as justification?

I don't recall any that were destroyed for that reason or justification. 

In fact, in some instances, a car sometimes has provenance where the original owner had an element of fame, and spent the extra $$$ to make it a 'special' color; maybe even the Packard in the photo that started this thread?  

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

1 minute ago, 8E45E said:

I don't recall any that were destroyed for that reason or justification. 

In fact, in some instances, a car sometimes has provenance where the original owner had an element of fame, and spent the extra $$$ to make it a 'special' color.  

Craig

That was hyperbole on my part.  I should have said "ruined" and not "destroyed".

On a big Classic where you are talking 100k to change the color the cost is prohibitive to fix many of the circus wagon restorations of yesteryear.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

West I totally agree. this was even happening in the 1970s. My aunt was the office manager for a major Cadillac dealership on the north shore of long island , they were located on Greenvale Highway just north of Northern Blvd about a half mile up, on your way to the Gold Coast estates in Glen Cove . The showroom had a bright red Eldorado conv in the center to draw people in to look at that "wow - in your face car" who then placed an order for a car in much more conservative colors.

My Mother had a 74 Dodge Colt that was green.  It needed to be repainted, and she chose almost the same shade as the Packard above.  She loved it.  The body shop guy, didn't and offered to redo it several times over the next few years she had the car.    She later replaced it with a later model that was YELLOW!!.  She loved that one too.

Not classics, but Mom enjoyed driving and bright colors.  Pity the 74 just about dissolved under her.  Never saw a car rust as badly as that one.  

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

The old saying "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" really does apply to this subject.

I would NEVER order a car in gaudy colors like you see on some today.  

On the other hand, if I happened to find a vintage car that was factory painted in special order gaudy colors for the era, or even now, I would do what it takes to keep it as original.  Some years ago, we were asked if we would ever be embarrassed driving a pink car.   I said, depending on the year and make, I would NOT at all be embarrassed, especially if it was a 1955 Studebaker President Speedster in Coraltone/Pimlico Gray/Shasta White, 1956 Packard Caribbean in Maltese Gray/Scottish Heather (pink)/Dover White,  or a 1956 Lincoln in Wysteria, etc.  But a new car in a pink color? Yes it would most likely be embarrassing.

Craig

Pink? - this photo was taken at the February 2020 Art Deco festival in Napier, New Zealand. I presume is a recent import - 

1DUES Duesenberg Napier 20 Kevin Heyward photo.jpg

12 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I thought that monochromatic grills came from the 1980s. Be interesting to learn more about this one.

In '29 you could get your new Pierce Arrow with chrome radiator shutters or shutters painted body color.

Your choice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Pink? - this photo was taken at the February 2020 Art Deco festival in Napier, New Zealand. I presume is a recent import - 

1DUES Duesenberg Napier 20 Kevin Heyward photo.jpg

There are few more like that.   Somebody painted a Model J that combo in the late 80s and lots of guys copied it.  One of them was an older collector I knew and he couldn't be talked out of it.  Guy had some great stuff but wow did he ruin his Duesenberg.  Good thing he had 2 others.