Gaining trunk access thru back seat of 1975 buick convertible

brad0717

I locked the keys to my 1975 Buick Lesabre Custom convertible. I didn't know if the conv. mechanisms or a wall would prevent me getting into the trunk. Yes the top is up!! No, I'm obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed! I'm open to other options. Just trying to avoid drilling the lock or taking door panel off to get locksmith to make another key.

On some cars after taking out the rear seat, there may be a cardboard panel that you can remove.

If so, using a long series of socket extensions, (up to 3 or 4') you may be able to unbolt the latch mechanism from the inside of the trunk lid and the trunk will open.

I recently drilled out the lock cylinder on my Pontiac Ferro using a large drill, then operated the tang with a pair of long nosed plyers that unlatched the latch.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Sorry, just realized you are in the car and need in the trunk. Back in the day my plant protection had this giant key ring for trunk keys. Are not that many. Guess the way to start if no electric release is available is to pull the back seat  and see if any opening is large enough for access. With to up may also be able to unhook the well. Once inside a pair of pliers should be able to turn the rod.

Any chance you have the key codes on the paperwork ?

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, tenugent said:

On first generation Riviera glovebox and trunk are the same key.If so,take glovebox key lock off and take to locksmith and have key made

GM locks use six tumblers. The glovebox lock only uses four of those six. Removing the glovebox lock only gets you 2/3 of the information you need to make a new key.

Removing the door panel is trivially easy - much easier than removing the back seat and then trying to find the keys in the trunk. On a 1975, the door lock uses the same key as the trunk.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brad0717 said:

I locked the keys to my 1975 Buick Lesabre Custom convertible. I didn't know if the conv. mechanisms or a wall would prevent me getting into the trunk. Yes the top is up!! No, I'm obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed! I'm open to other options. Just trying to avoid drilling the lock or taking door panel off to get locksmith to make another key.

Is the area behind the rear seat and in front of the convertible top covered by a cloth skirt?  If so, the skirt leaves an opening for the top mechanism on each side.  You may be able to pull that back enough to see and snake a coat hanger in to retrieve your keys.  The other option is removing the seat back.  First push down and rearward, then pull up on the front of the seat bottom to remove it.  There should be a star bit bolt on each side of the bottom of the seat back.  Remove them, then pull upward on the seat back to release it from the top tabs.  You'll have an opening large enough to easily see into the trunk and fish your keys out. 

On 2/2/2021 at 7:56 AM, joe_padavano said:

GM locks use six tumblers. The glovebox lock only uses four of those six. Removing the glovebox lock only gets you 2/3 of the information you need to make a new key.

Unless you get lucky and find the code on the glove box cylinder. Then you have the info on all six cuts. On earlier cars, this does require taking the glove box lock apart to the inner cylinder. I have found ways to do this without harming any parts.😉

• Like 1

IICC (If I calculated correctly), your trunk key should be on a B blank. Very popular. Have many friends with GM cars from 1967, 1971, 1975, and lots in the 80s and 90 (up until the double sided key started)? Try all their trunk keys. 

• Like 1

If there is access behind the seat you should be able to reach in and snag the keys with a long magnet on a stick or straightened out coat hanger. I have heard of reaching through and unscrewing the bolts off the latch, with a socket wrench and all the extensions in the tool box. Tape them together with duct tape so they can't fall apart.

• Like 1

In similar situations on my Buicks in years past, if the glove box was locked, I just removed the door by unscrewing the mounting hinges, then removed the lock and took it to a dealer or locksmith that could either provide the correct coded key or just make a new key from scratch. 

I have done this with my 74 Olds Delta 88 convertible, if you are small enough you can cut the top well material and go over the back seat and get in the trunk. Once over the seat you end up on the spare tire so you dont have a lot of room to move.

The back of the back seat will come out but the metal support bracing behind the seat will not allow access into the trunk. Cut the well at the back so when it drops it leaves you an opening to the trunk, if you cut the front (behind the seat) you will have to fight your way around this material to get in the trunk. You will then have to get the top well fixed. Good Luck.

Ray

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Ray, you do not have that problem with the Limited!  I have a 75 88 convertible as well...hope everyone is doing great.  The pic attached is now owned by AACA!  Sorry for hi-jacking the thread guys..

1908 Oldsmobile Portotype.jpg

Hi-jacking a thread like this takes a lot of brass.

• Haha 2

If you are going to craw into the trunk, make sure that you bring your phone with you.

It will be handy to call someone close, in  order for them to hand you a tool.

Also to call a fireman in order to get you out. ( tell them to be gentle with their axes)

:wub:

• Haha 1