Andy Griffith Once Spent A Ton On A 1935 Packard 1202 Convertible

Laughing Coyote

"When all was said and done the car was worth around $400,000 although coming from the king of the American heart himself the vehicle would be worth millions today."

Nice car, although they took some liberties on the market value!

Were just a bit north of where Andy lived. It was not uncommon to see him driving the model A around.

Terry

• Like 3

On 1/13/2021 at 10:04 AM, TAKerry said:

I think Otis bought a worn out 34 ford roadster, boy wouldnt I love to have that today! Or the Harley and sidecar that Barney bought as the towns second police vehicle!

Nope - 33 cabbie:

i059137.jpg

• Like 1

I think the car most commonly associated with Mayberry was Andy's Ford Galaxie police unit. They used different years of cars on the show, but the one I remember the most was a 1962 model. Speaking of which, I just now found this interesting tour service in Mount Airy, NC. Looks like it would be fun.

https://www.visitmayberry.com/attractions/mayberry-squad-car-tours/

While Mayberry was fictional, Mt Airy was where Andy Griffith grew up and they may have used it as the inspiration for Mayberry.  Based on a photo, it looks like the tour service has a '62, a '63 a '64 and a '67.

Squad_Car_Tours_037.max-700x500.jpg

• Like 3

Guest Mark McAlpine

For those that want to visit (revisit?) "Mayberry," the Savannah Region is hosting the 2021 AACA Southeastern Divisional Tour in Mt. Airy, NC, on 11-15 October 2021.  As you can imagine, a lot of the activities are centered on places & things associated with Andy Griffith.

21 hours ago, Mark McAlpine said:

For those that want to visit (revisit?) "Mayberry," the Savannah Region is hosting the 2021 AACA Southeastern Divisional Tour in Mt. Airy, NC, on 11-15 October 2021.  As you can imagine, a lot of the activities are centered on places & things associated with Andy Griffith.

Sounds like a good trip.

There are also 60, 61 and 65 Mayberry police cars running around NC. The 61's owner would bring it to pre-plague cruise nights. Used to see it in Reidsville NC and Chatham VA frequently.

Yeah, I'll watch Andy for the old cars. Me young state trooper cousin watches Andy religiously every day he's off duty. His take is modeling police work after Andy makes life easier for everybody. Then I remind him Mayberry wasn't crazy as hell like things are today. Crazy sometimes, yes- but not like now.

On 1/18/2021 at 11:44 AM, rocketraider said:

There are also 60, 61 and 65 Mayberry police cars running around NC. The 61's owner would bring it to pre-plague cruise nights. Used to see it in Reidsville NC and Chatham VA frequently.

Yeah, I'll watch Andy for the old cars. Me young state trooper cousin watches Andy religiously every day he's off duty. His take is modeling police work after Andy makes life easier for everybody. Then I remind him Mayberry wasn't crazy as hell like things are today. Crazy sometimes, yes- but not like now.

I remember reading an interview of Robert Stack - he said they started showing the cars more on The Untouchables because of all the requests from old car guys.  

On 1/17/2021 at 11:32 AM, Mark McAlpine said:

I was fortunate enough to know several of Andy's friends in Mt Airy,  and worked for several years with one of Andy's former pastors. Each one spoke of what a wonderful person he was.

Yes, there are several places worth seeing in and around Mt Airy. The surrounding area is great for touring!

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)