i need help - 1955 gullwing 300sl

jackson3404

10 hours ago, padgett said:

Always thought GNs looked like government cars particularly when in a long line at Dennis's. Also only available with automagic. To each their own.

Don't laugh.  If I remember correctly, the FBI had a fleet of GN's.  There were even some police agencies that had those cars also.  I remember when working for Buick at the time there was a "fix" for some of the cars that idled for an extended period of time would not immediately fly after someone.  Probably a different PROM/ memcal for the engine control module to not run so rich at idle.  Just a guess on the actual software change.  PROM = programmable read only memory.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

"PROM/ memcal " that was pre-OBD and what GM called Assembly Line Data Link (ALDL). Lots of reprogramming done then. TunerCat.com has everything you need for turbo buick definition files and Moates.net has the hardware to reprogram.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, padgett said:

"PROM/ memcal " that was pre-OBD and what GM called Assembly Line Data Link (ALDL). Lots of reprogramming done then. TunerCat.com has everything you need for turbo buick definition files and Moates.net has the hardware to reprogram.

PROM & memcal are the same thing.  Shown below is a PROM from that era with the insertion tool. These integrated circuits were used before the ability to reprogram the vehicle computer remotely.

The ALDL is a different item.  That is the connector that on GM cars is usually below the dash between the steering column and the drivers door.   The original purpose of the ALDL was for the assembly plant to be able to connect to the vehicle engine system to check the operation of the vehicle at the end of the line.  The assembly plant had the ability to read "live real time" data.  If all of the checks programmed into the plant computer to check on the vehicle passed, then the vehicle passed that end of line check point.

Over time, portable scanning equipment became available for the dealers and aftermarkey with the ability to read live data.  For GM the tools at the time from GM Tools was the Tech 1, then the Tech 2.    For GM Global A electronics a laptop with the connectors are now required.

OBD 1 ran from about 1980 to 1995, OBD2 from about 1995 to 2008, and GM Global A from about 2008 to present. The date is fluid because not all cars for GM changed at the same date.

You local auto parts store generally can only give you a code, not live data like changes in throttle position, mass air flow, coolant temp, injector on time, individually, etc....  Some tools may give you some of that Federal mandated information.

image000000 (51).jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The good old days of early engine management..........remember flashing codes out of the Chrysler’s using the check engine light? All one needed to do was rock the ignition switch. Also the old Ford break out boxes. Times long gone. I still have all my special aftermarket books with sensor and 210 pin connector readings. Did lots of work on the early Honda’s back then. It was good money. Goes back to the old days of real technical skills........and not the parts changing that most dealerships today. It’s actually staggering how poorly skilled many repair technicians are today. Just ask any one of them Ohm’s Law. You will get a blank stare. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It’s actually staggering how poorly skilled many repair technicians are today.

It was that way before they were greasing wheels on ox carts.

Tuesday a friend an I were talking about the worldwide efforts to eliminate or reduce the shadow economy. We proposed that digital currency could lead to a bartering system. But due to the focus of educational institutions few people have skills of value for bartering.

There is a lot to be said for a full understanding of the Apple corporate logo. Knowledge without a spark.

Bernie

3 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Tuesday a friend an I were talking about the worldwide efforts to eliminate or reduce the shadow economy. We proposed that digital currency could lead to a bartering system. But due to the focus of educational institutions few people have skills of value for bartering.

Bernie

An interesting and insightful observation. Slowly cash will go away.............and big brother will know everything about you. As it's often said if you want to understand a persons values, look at their checkbook.

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

An interesting and insightful observation. Slowly cash will go away.............and big brother will know everything about you. As it's often said if you want to understand a persons values, look at their checkbook.

As long as swap meets are still with us ; hopefully our lifetimes at least , cash is going to be needed.

As for my checkbook lets see, taxes - check, home fuel bill - check, insurance bill - check, grocery bill - check.  Hey wait, where is the part where I actually pay for something I would like to buy rather than just a day to day living cost ?

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I am presently on an oil rig in the North Atlantic so can you ship the car to my home in Nigeria post office box 364. My brother his royal highness King Fidelthio will send you a check plus $10,000 extra for your time and cost for shipping.  

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/19/2020 at 10:04 AM, alsancle said:

Come on Dave!  You have been around long enough to know the chances of that are about 1 in 1000.  

How many  have heard the story of the Duesenberg in the barn that nobody knows about and how many times is it a Buick?   EVERY SINGLE TIME  except for the one time it ended up being this:

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 539.jpg

What is the car in this photo?

On 12/24/2020 at 9:38 AM, Restorer32 said:

Years ago, pre 1998, I was audited by the IRS.  I was absolutely amazed at how much they knew about me and my customers. These days, with more powerful computers, they likely know everything including the size underwear I take.

If you paid for them with your credit or bank card, of course they would.  

I wonder if they can put some of that information they gather to good use to see what food parents purchase, and find out if their children are getting properly fed. 

Craig

On 12/24/2020 at 7:37 AM, edinmass said:

The good old days of early engine management..........remember flashing codes out of the Chrysler’s using the check engine light? All one needed to do was rock the ignition switch. Also the old Ford break out boxes. 

GM's 1985 fwd C-body cars also had that flashing code feature built into the HVAC control panel.  One just had to remember to reset it after the work was done.

Craig

Getting back to the 300 SL.  Does anyone know what happened to the one in Aylmer Ontario? Haven't heard of or seen it for over 30 years. The then elderly gentleman owner had a few Rolls Royce's in his garage along with the 300. A real car sleuth I know spoke with the family about 20 years ago and they didn't let on about the car's whereabouts.

30 years ago my brother was contacted by a business associate in another state whose family included an elderly man who owned a Gullwing that was no longer running and sitting in a garage. The acquaintance was curious about the value, and we immediately expressed interest in buying the car. But once they checked into the value themselves, the opportunity quickly faded away. 

Another time, we heard an "if only we had known" story. A neighbor reported that the couple across the street sold their house. The moving van showed up and everything was emptied out of the house. Then the couple, who had been highly reclusive, went into a back-yard garage and after a few hours of work fired up two cars that had never been visible before -- XKE Jags, a convertible and coupe "his and her" cars painted identically. The cars had been sitting in there quite a while, but no one knew about them. They were loaded onto a trailer and everyone departed.  

• Like 1

I've told this story before about the dumpster in front of a house on my street. The lady had passed away, outlived her husband and sadly both of her kids. Grandkids were in Mid America and never visited while she was alive. One day a crew arrived and started loading the dumpster of all the things that didn't sell in the tag sale. I asked if it was ok to take a saw and some airplane photos. "Sure! Everybody's life ends up in a dumpster." One of those statements that it hard to forget. Bob 

• Like 3