i need help - 1955 gullwing 300sl

jackson3404

Just now, jackson3404 said:

yeah it does have a key, it’s a 1955 coupe that is in mint condition, my aunt passed away with and and her husband who passed 30 years ago bought it new form the dealer. it has 3000 miles on it and is in perfect condition

Photos?

• Like 1

You do need help. If anything about this situation seems a problem except for possibly a big tax bill then I suggest you seek counselling.

If however the entire situation is a delusion you probably need more than just a counsellor.

Greg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm no tax authority but if it was willed to you, you might get a stepped basis for the value, i.e., your basis will be the value on the day you received it. Your talking about enough that I'd talk to a tax attorney first as well as getting a clean title.

Having said all that and you don't want the hassle, just sell it to me an I'll take on the fight.

Good luck.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to i need help - 1955 gullwing 300sl
3 hours ago, jackson3404 said:

my family is going to inherit a mint 1955 gullwing 300sl and i do not know what to do with it

As the moderator of this forum... I get first dibs on the purchase.  (its in the rules) :)

-----

Jackson,

Everyone on this forum is gonna take your post with a grain of salt. The car of which you speak can be worth upwards of $3,000,000.

If you really are inheriting this car I have the following feedback:

• Congratulations!
  • Get an attorney
  • Secure the vehicle ASAP

Alternatively - give me a call at 520-247-5918.  I'll come get the car and title TOMORROW and give you a micro-percentage of its value. (worth trying)

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

In my honest opinion this is the typical Nigerian scam letter.

"Please help me I am inheriting 3 billion US dollars and I will give you half if I can put it in your bank account".

"Send me all your banking information I will transfer the funds".

Geez delete this jackson 3404 from the system.

If I am wrong I will eat crow....

But hey anything is possible.

This post stinks....

Edited by dodgebrother
typo "CAP key for I i" (see edit history)
  • Like 3

OP doesn't know where the CAP key is on the keyboard.  Am waiting for our friends in Charlotte NC to chime in and tell us all about him.  😉

Derived from the all-conquering racing cars of 1952, the production model of the 300 SL was introduced to the public on February 6, 1954 at the New York International Automobile Show.  A total of 1400 Gull Wing coupes were built during the period 1954 to 1957, 29 of which featured all aluminum bodies.

The total number of Roadsters produced between 1957 and 1963 was 1858.

Cost. The price for the Coupe in Germany was DM 29,000 and $6,820 in the US. The Roadster was DM 32,500 in Germany and $10,950 in the US
$6820 in 1954 = $65,131 today

11 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

OP doesn't know where the CAP key is on the keyboard.

One of the most entertaining parts of this forum is the use of the Caps key. Some really use it. There are a few that are so predictable in using it you can't help but imagine listening to them in person.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 60FlatTop said:

One of the most entertaining parts of this forum is the use of the Caps key. Some really use it. There are a few that are so predictable in using it you can't help but imagine listening to them in person.

Typically I stereotype the all cap guys as being 80 years old and just had their grandkid hook them up to a computer.     The NO cap guys I stereotype as 12 year olds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The thing about stereotypes is that they don't come as a vision in the night.

First thing I imagined with the MB thing was the blonde getting her hair caught in the gullwing door.

That 80 year old that spatters capitalized words through his reply reminds me of the old guy at the family picnic who would hook you with his cane and pinch your arm to prove he could still hurt you. Just my perceptions.

Man, you guys are brutal.

What if a fellow really did buy a new Mercedes, kept it in his garage, only took it for Sunday drives, never joined a car club, never went to shows.....then exactly how would the "registry" know that the car still existed?

DMV records?  Random sightings of car?

Original poster may be just toying with us.  Original poster really could be a relative of someone who did the above.

I was once told of a car I'd not seen nor heard of that had become available, and when told the price I didn't even go look at it, as I knew that anything that cheap couldn't be worth having.  A couple of months later, the car appeared at a local show, it was absolutely beautiful, and the new owner had paid that "too cheap" price for it.

Have faith first, let the doubt come later....

• Like 4

Come on Dave!  You have been around long enough to know the chances of that are about 1 in 1000.  

How many  have heard the story of the Duesenberg in the barn that nobody knows about and how many times is it a Buick?   EVERY SINGLE TIME  except for the one time it ended up being this:

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 539.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, alsancle said:

chances of that are about 1 in 1000.  

Yes, but the point is that the chance is still there!  It's like the girl telling the guy the only way she'd hook up with him is if he were the last man on earth, and the guy says "So, there's still a chance, right?!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Come on Dave!  You have been around long enough to know the chances of that are about 1 in 1000.  

How many  have heard the story of the Duesenberg in the barn that nobody knows about and how many times is it a Buick?   EVERY SINGLE TIME  except for the one time it ended up being this:

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 539.jpg

The car is fantastic, and the provenance is great. The fact that I was the catalyst that got the car out of the barn is icing on the cake. Too bad my leads ran dry...........but the up side is you ended up with it and I get to play with it while you wright the checks...............wonderful resolution to a fantastic automobile.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

58 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The car is fantastic, and the provenance is great. The fact that I was the catalyst that got the car out of the barn is icing on the cake. Too bad my leads ran dry...........but the up side is you ended up with it and I get to play with it while you wright the checks...............wonderful resolution to a fantastic automobile.

So the engine really is ready to install? What a great Christmas gift. 

bob 

26 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Bob, it's in the shop, and it's getting attention.........

Does that mean everyone that comes into the shop ask “why is that still sitting there? The last time I was here you said you were thinking of selling it as a parts car”

When making highly unusual claims, 

a person has to have either reputation--

a long record of knowledge and honesty--

or evidence.  We can wait to see evidence,

but otherwise I don't believe it.

If the original poster isn't honest, maybe he's

scouring the internet trying to find pictures

of a dusty, neglected Gullwing!

• Like 1

A few months ago a police sergeant stopped me coming out of my shop. Why?...because he'd driven by many times and never seen anyone but he admitted he had been working the late shift so it was just a coincidence he'd never come by until after I'd left. We got talking and he told me he knew of two Ferarris stored in an old factory building in town (there are a lot of old factory buildings - it's an old mill town) ...he would not say where they were as he regarded that as the owner's prerogative and didn't feel it was proper to disclose since he'd seen them in the course of his duty. I respect that and have no reason to disbelieve him. Some day they will appear and people will wonder where they've been.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1