Here is an interesting one to think about !!!!!

mobileparts

I brought it up to the heads of Carlisle, that with no Hershey this year.....

Why don't we make Fall Carlisle a TWO WEEK SHOW ???????

Fall Carlisle Week --- and --- Hershey week ??????

Lot of logistics involved, was their initial thought....

Lot of EXTRA MONEY was my initial reply.....(And we KNOW they need the money!!!!!)

They are doing some thinking....... What do you think ??????

Yours, Craig......

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)
  • Like 1

pkhammer,

Exactly.... Week # 1 --- more like Fall Carlisle --- '50s to '70s and newer....

Week # 2 --- more like Hershey --- '50s to'70s and older.....

Everything is like it usually is --- except Hershey will be held at Carlisle...  Let us see if we can make it happen !!!!!!mm

This is an interesting idea.  I think logistics and timing could be a concern, and honestly I would hope something like that, while great for 2020, would not hurt the Hershey meet in years to come.  Bear in mind the Carlisle folk are in business, if it works one year why not others.  That would be my only real concern. 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

I would prefer that next year we start Hershey a week earlier and make it a two week affair. I can picture Steve M pulling his hair out.

He has too much hair as it is... he could stand to lose a few.

Always looking at us follicly challenged folk as if we are mere peasantry.... ;) 

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

This is an interesting idea.  I think logistics and timing could be a concern, and honestly I would hope something like that, while great for 2020, would not hurt the Hershey meet in years to come.  Bear in mind the Carlisle folk are in business, if it works one year why not others.  That would be my only real concern. 

I agree, this would need to be considered a one year only deal to give us Hershey people someplace to go. I can imagine a lot of potential issues with this that most of us haven't even thought about. Maybe a better idea would be a SPRING and FALL Hershey next year! 😁

• Like 2

For those of us who have attended Fall Carlisle for the past 25 years or so, “pre-war” parts have been creeping into Fall Carlisle over the past 5 years or so. I figured that Hershey vendors have been using Carlisle as a staging area and extending their selling. This year, with 9000 or so Hershey vendors frustrated by the cancellation of the Hershey Swap Meet, it is inevitable that demand for Fall Carlisle Swap Meet spaces will soar- especially if the virus continues to decline. 

I called Carlisle Events last week and was able to get 3 choice spaces in the flat infield area. As I have not been a vendor at Carlisle for several years, they gave me 3 spaces for the price of 2. Now that CE has an agreement with the PA DOH, demand for these spaces is bound to increase. Get your spaces while the better ones are still available. We can make this our “Hershey” for 2020 and then enjoy the Hershey car show a week later.

Its only fitting- Hershey helped “spawn “ Carlisle Events- now CE helps us get through a year without Hershey. 

I spoke to Tim DeMark yesterday. He runs the showfield for Carlisle Events. He said that they have been getting a very high volume of calls from Hershey vendors looking for a venue for fall and it sounds like this may be a very packed Fall Carlisle event.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:11 AM, Restorer32 said:

I would prefer that next year we start Hershey a week earlier and make it a two week affair. I can picture Steve M pulling his hair out.

Steve has pulled his hair out in the past. And for quite a good cause!

I've always said there isn't any such thing as a bad idea - just some that don't work out after you think about it. 

As much as I'd like Hershey to be year-round so I could go anytime, like Mat said-not everyone can take the time to spend two weeks straight flea-marketing.  That's asking a lot of the vendors, buyers, and especially the volunteers that make it happen.  I can only assume it would be twice as expensive to rent the property,  contract for the support, and  buy enough consumable supplies to keep it open for that length of time.  I know my porta-potty would be pretty ripe after two weeks there!  

Although being retired gives me a bit of latitude time-wise, the expense of two weeks at it would be more that I'd like to think about.  

Anybody going to the pre-war swap meet at Luray?

Terry

• Thanks 1

Carlisle and Hershey are typically back-to-back and many vendors do both so I'm not sure what the difference would be. I typically go to Hershey because I prefer the overwhelming majority of pre-war cars and parts. If Carlisle was to do their normal fall swap meet followed by a "Hershey type" pre-war meet, I'd just go to the 2nd week. People that do normally do both could still do both. People like myself that normally do one would still just do one.

• Like 1