AACA Forums are better than any news on TV!!!

Don't know about the rest of you but for quite some time now I've got my morning coffee and instead of turning on TV news, I turn on the computer and read through the AACA Forums.  It sure beats all the doom/gloom stuff and political bs, and keeps our hobby alive and going strong.  I know there is another thread on being a member - or donating/supporting the forum, but thought it worth mentioning again and encouraging that.  For me and many others here, this has been one of the best resources for old car stuff that can be found anywhere.  I've also encouraged others to look for themselves.  I even know some non-computer folks who are now watching the forums almost religiously every day.  One guy reports the parts for sale section is even better than evil-bay.

Terry

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Terry, very well stated my friend. The best form of communication on a daily basis for any folks and all who like old vehicles. 

It is the place to share with kindred spirits. And besides we can then  take comfort in thinking " see there are people just like me, so I am not crazy or odd  - sort of, maybe......."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

YES!!!! Thanks to all that keep this forum alive and running for all of us to enjoy. I just can't watch the news anymore-I just get disgusted watching state and federal politicians using this pandemic as a way of immortalizing themselves and promoting their political careers. We are fortunate to have such a great diversion such as this and other automotive websites. Thanks again to all those who make this happen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Agree completely.  We also see a lot of local TV items recognizing what they term as "local heros" who deserve every accolade coming their way. Our local heros are the folks at HQ and elsewhere who keep this site going and club business running from their laptops at home as best they can.

Let's not forget them when all this is over!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much the same pattern here thru Prewarcar.com, then evil-bay to check my watch list.  Searching for new stuff is usually a Sunday pm activity along with my glass of "medicine."

Terry

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

It is my new favorite coffee shop, open 24/7. 

And when real coffee shops reopen, you can take your laptop there and still participate here on the Forum.

Craig

• Like 1

Like so many of you I used to listen to news while I went on the forums, for some time now I simply turn the TV to a music station.  I hit the forums twice a day beginning with AACA-HCCA-CLC and PY forums.  God bless the AACA and the people who bring it to us.

• Like 2

Great place to keep up with the club , I wish more members would use it . I am here most mornings with my breakfast .I just started with face book, see alot of our members are on there Kings32

On 5/1/2020 at 6:15 AM, Terry Bond said:

Don't know about the rest of you but for quite some time now I've got my morning coffee and instead of turning on TV news, I turn on the computer and read through the AACA Forums. 

Ha ha!

I do exactly the same thing Terry.

I hope I'm not the only one here who still reads the newspaper. My comfort level is with the written page. Under normal conditions I carry it with me most everywhere I go. It's my security blanket and my ticket to normalcy. Today whether it's cable, or local news there's a redundancy in stories that just irritates me. Politicized reporting not withstanding, watching news on television I see the same stories all day long. There are a myriad of of stories that I find only in the newspaper, I pray for their survival.

Bill

10 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Never understood the Facebook deal. 

Its called "personal information data mining": offer the participants who can log on for free a seemingly benign site where they can connect with family and friends, share photos and common interest and 'likes'.   What happens in the background are algorithms collecting every 'like' click, every shopping brows, who one's friends and contacts are, indications of interest of all varieties, social and political persuasion, in short, a profile or in the more sinister term, 'dossier' on every participant.  To keep the participant engaged, they receive a steady stream of contact responses, memes, videos, and advertising selected specially for their interests.  

What does Facebook get? With this information, the person can be directed advertising and promotion of all stripes for which the charge the companies, have their personal information marketed to any company or organization seeking to target their products and services.  Check Facebook's market value to see how well this business model works.  

But to the original subject, kudos AACA Forums, moderator and participants for giving us a civil refuge here daily.

Edited by 58L-Y8
Thanks to AACA Forums for this sanity refuge. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You get enough hero's and everyone will forget how messes got started.

The perpetrators do surface. When someone begins to trace the events that led to disaster  the culprit will stand up and say "No need to focus on the past. We are here to move forward from today." That's when the brain clicks and says "He's the one that got us here".

I know. I have been accused of doing nothing because I made sure I didn't get a chance to be a hero.

Bernie

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thank you 58L-Y8, I bet you know how an !Phone works too. Bazillions of iPhone people and I've never seen one with an owners manual. Bob 

Sorry, I don't have insights on the iPhone because I don't have one, never have been able to justify the cost for what little use I'd make of it.  But, I do know that it too is a tracking, contacts and personal information collection device that's useful to the companies that provide the service.  For those that have internet on their iPhone, its the best of all worlds for companies involved.  

Will someone with knowledge of the intricacies of the iPhone business model weigh in with information please?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks again. Cost and the fact that I'd misplace one if it I had one are the reasons I don't have one, .. Bob 

That can be a problem Bob.  Many times I've had to grab the house phone and call myself on the cell phone so I can hear it ringing under a pile of rags or something while I'm working on a car. Now all I need to do is remember to turn up the volume on the ring-tone. 

But, keep this in mind - it's a very handy tool at Hershey.  There are applications that will help you remember where you spotted a treasure you need to go back for.  I understand there is even an app that will show you the swap meet layout at Hershey so you can easily find your way around.   As I've mentioned before, when I'm minding the store and Susan is out shopping, she will text me photos and info on items she thinks I might be interested in so I can do a quick "buy now!"  "keep walking" or "don't put it down, I ' on my way!"   That's proven extremely useful and gives me that extra set of eyes in the market.  I've used the phone also to help friends when I spot something I knew they were looking for.

Another item I enjoy is the photo gallery on my phone.  I have a lot of pictures of my stuff and have used them for reference when I see something I think I might need.  Have been able to find the missing mate to  make good pairs of brass lamps, parts I need, and have avoided buying duplicates of some of my early pins and watch fobs. Having a good photo of something you are looking for helps with positive Id before you spend your money on a mistake.

Hershey is coming-you still have time to get one and figure it out.  Take all kinds of photos of your Hupp project in case you need anything.  You can show those pics to me at Hershey and make me envious!

Text me when you get one.

Terry

Terry, You just stepped it the feature that is the biggest turn off, Photos on a cell phone. I just can't stand the stream of obesities I'm forced to listen to while someone is flaying a finger franticly trying to find photos of their grandkids, cars or vacation spots. 

Bob 

• Like 1

Pictures on phone are uploaded to PC. I have an iPad mini just so I can do facetime. Paid $80 for "renewed" unit. Can display on a real monitor. Use a Chromebook for ZOOM. One of the reasons I could telecommute for so long (Virtual Employee award, 1999) was because have always had better equipment at home.

ps people searching for photos have gone on for decades, phones have just replaced slides.

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

xt me when you get one.

The new Iphone SE is available for less than $400.  It is like having your own personal assistant in your pocket.  You see someone on the forum mention a car you have not heard of and you say:  Hay Siri show me a photo of XYZ and it comes up  You can then ask for information on the brand.  Not perfect but faster than going to your reference library..  Having a high quality camera to take photos/videos of you grandkids is priceless.  I was at Lowes buying assorted bolts, nuts and washers.  Instead of writing the code down take a photo of the bar graph for each item and the cashier will scan it on your phone.  With Apple Pay you don't have to hand your credit card to the cashier who hasn't used hand sanitizer since her lunch brake and has been handling DIRTY cash all day.  Ever see anyone use hand sanitizer on doller bills?  The big negative as Terry mentioned is finding where you left it especially since we dropped our land line Three years ago.  If this hasn't convinced you how about sitting in your doctors office or exam room for 20-30 minutes reading the AACA forum posts and replying.

Enough rambling, Have a great day and stay safe

Try here. (Helps to know which iOS version) . Have yet to pay more than $150 for a cell phone (latest is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) Does everything I want and has an SD card slot. Just acquired an elderly, refurbished (have had good luck with refurbished and Amazon Warehouse deals) iPad Mini from WOOT just to be able to do Facetime. Works fine.

Have to slide the screen to turn on. Just an Apple thang.

3 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

If I see something at Hershey that I might want to buy later if it is still there or have bought and need to pick up later, I just take a picture of the space number on the ground so I know exactly where to return to.

I will do the same thing at Hershey. I also take photos of items & the space number and text them to others I know who are at Hershey who might be interested in that item. Other people do the same thing for me. I also text people not at Hershey as well. I have acted as a negotiator/buyer for these friends not at Hershey more times than I can remember. The odd looks I get from sellers are priceless before the sale. Then after the sale I usually say to them "You Gotta Love Technology, Don't Ya"?  😁

• Like 1

Just now, charlier said:

I will do the same thing at Hershey. I also take photos of items & the space number and text them to others I know who are at Hershey who might be interested in that item. Other people do the same thing for me. I also text people not at Hershey as well. I have acted as a negotiator/buyer for these friends not at Hershey more times than I can remember. The odd looks I get from sellers are priceless before the sale. Then after the sale I usually say to them "You Gotta Love Technology, Don't Ya"?  😁

As a seller that is left out of the three way transaction, there is no room for negations on my price if a cellphone is in hand by a potential buyer. Rude, behavior has a price. Bob 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

As a seller that is left out of the three way transaction, there is no room for negations on my price if a cellphone is in hand by a potential buyer. Rude, behavior has a price. Bob 

Bob, I think you might have misunderstood my post maybe because I did not do a good job of explaining myself. I have friends who are car people who cannot make it to Hershey. When I come across items I think they might be interested in or need, I take a photo and text it to them. and ask them if they are interested. If they respond that they are interested I then ask the seller what their price is for the item. I then text that price to my friend. My friend either tells me the price is okay and I buy the item for them or they make a counter offer or they tell me to forget it because the price is too far above what they can afford. If the price is okay I purchase the item and get it to them. I am simply doing a favor for a friend and get NOTHING out of it for myself. If the seller does not accept the counter offer or the price is too high  I simply Thank the seller and move on.

I am not sure how helping a friend get a part they need and helping a seller make a sale using a smartphone is rude behavior. Maybe you can enlighten me as I am finding your statement difficult to understand.  Thanks. Charlie

23 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Sounds fair, you must be the exception to what I've witnessed with !Phone people. 

Bob

Thanks Bob.

It's kind of sad when doing a favor or kind deed is an exception and not the norm these days.  I agree that technology can be misused for less than honorable purposes and have no doubt you have witnessed that yourself. Working in the Information Technology for 39+ years now, I have seen it all and then some. 

I resemble that remark. First computer/IT job was in 1966.  Some computers used vacuum tubes. Spent the latter part of my career in Security. Back then the iPhone people were asking why the cup holder disappeared.

And offer it over and over and over. Commercials were worse (am so sick of the volcano...) even Hal Nedham's "The Villian" was better. (Arnie's only western. May be why.)